• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's cool. I want to get 17 too, but according to the internet the weight and battery life become problems at that size. Could you tell me about that? Also, is the gaming experience better than 15? Or do you not notice the difference?

I have no idea how the 15 inch version performs

The 17 inch doesn't weigh much more than my old 15 inch laptop but battery life isn't great which is not an issue for me

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Oh, my screen is also 144hz, not sure if that is an option with the 15 inch

Yea, I notice the screen is larger
Thanks. I don't particularly care about 144hz, as I'll be playing single player games. But yeah, having a larger screen sounds nice. The only issue is that I'll have to shell out more for the same hardware, or settle with a weaker cpu and gpu if I stay in my budget.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I don't particularly care about 144hz, as I'll be playing single player games. But yeah, having a larger screen sounds nice. The only issue is that I'll have to shell out more for the same hardware, or settle with a weaker cpu and gpu if I stay in my budget.

Lenovo Canada had a price error where the fully loaded 17" was cheaper than the 15" with the older graphics card :)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Helios went back and I decided to order a cheaper laptop.
Pavillon Gaming 15 with the 1650 it is. Seems like it's more quiet and there is room for some undervolting and overclocking going by this video.
I also went only a few euros above 1000€ now with an additional 8GB module to have dual channel RAM, which seems pretty good.

Hoping for the best...

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah I'm in the US. And yeah being viable for next-gen would be great.
Well then I would say you need something with an RTX 2070, and this is a good place to start.

Which laptop cpu do you think would be good to keep up with next gen? I feel like that's gonna be the hardest part since the consoles are finally gonna have modern CPUs.

I want to get a new laptop soon. But can't figure that out
The best most of us will do with our budgets is a 6-core CPU like the i7-8750H/9750H.

The i9-9980HK and i9-9980H would obviously be ideal choices, as the only 8-core mobile CPUs in existence, but they are super expensive and only show up in laptop SKUs which are exactly that.

So I've been reading about undervolting the 9750h and seems like -.125 to -.150 is a good range to start?

Update - Used throttlestop to undervolt the CPU core and cache to -155 and ran a stress test, temperature hovered at 88-90 degrees Celsius and 4ghz........does that sound right? (that's with laptop in performance mode with fans on high, if I set it to quiet then I hover around 63 degrees and 3ghz)
Every chip is different. You keep lowering the voltage and testing for stability, don't stop until your laptop BSODs.

I'm also considering the Y740. With a 2070. I'm concerned about the 2070s longevity.
I'm not a huge fan of the high end RTX series, but I wouldn't be too concerned about 1080p longevity, especially if you get a good price.

Helios went back and I decided to order a cheaper laptop.
Pavillon Gaming 15 with the 1650 it is. Seems like it's more quiet and there is room for some undervolting and overclocking going by this video.
I also went only a few euros above 1000€ now with an additional 8GB module to have dual channel RAM, which seems pretty good.

Hoping for the best...
Was the HP a decision that you just didn't need as much GPU?

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'll keep at it

Anything else I should run to test stability other than Aida?

Oh wow, I haven't hit BSOD yet and the temp is much lower

Oops, must have gone too far, got a BSOD a few seconds into a game of Wolfenstein, then another BSOD when I rebooted before I could change the voltage back

I think something got corrupted with the Wolfenstein install as the Bethesda launcher is "preparing" the game again....

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Dayum the new Alienware m15 r2 is one sexy beast. What happened to the good old days of tacky-ass, bulky looking Alienware laptops ?

And the deal I got on the Aero 15 OLED ends in a couple of days. I did not need the distraction...

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Was the HP a decision that you just didn't need as much GPU?
Yes. This will be my secondary games machine and will probably online play online shooters and smaller/older games there when I get to use it.
I was a bit too exciting with the Helios 300 but then noticed I do not need it's power (and idle fan noise...).

Oct 25, 2017
is it worth getting a 2070 max q over a 2060 ? looking at a lenovo y740 it's about 10 percent price difference. Talking especially about noise although performance would be great too.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Market went towards slim/overheating.

I mean we've reached a point where most manufacturers got better with thermals on their high-end machines though. Only one I can think of that still sucks is the XPS 15.

I'll always go for slim as long as there's no throttling involved. You can't tell me this doesn't look slick af

5a45762e8bf1208b16952056f313f47d.png

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The 560x is about the absolute lowest you can go. I personally would spend extra for something far more powerful, to make sure you get some longevity out of the machine with the next generation right at the horizon. The mobile GTX 1650 is ~45% faster than the GTX 1050 and 560x.

I would consider buying this version of the same laptop, if you can afford the coin.

Thx for your recommendations.

I bought a ASUS ROG G752VS-BA191T from eBay for 680€. It is 7 month old and in very good condition. Looks like new and works flawless.

It has "only" a old i7 6700 CPU but a gtx 1070 gfx card. I hope i didn't overpay...

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at some deals; is 8GB RAM sufficient for this machine?
https://www.newegg.ca/black-msi-gl-series-gl63-8sd-889-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155232

• GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GDDR6
  • Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8750H (2.20 GHz)
  • 8 GB Memory 512 GB NVMe SSD
  • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS-Level, 120 Hz 3 ms, 94% NTSC 100% sRGB
  • 15.07" x 10.23" x 1.16" 4.80 lbs.
  • 1 x Mini DisplayPort 1 x HDMI (4K @ 60Hz)
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
  • 3 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
I've noticed a lot of the 1660Ti laptops come with only 8GB of RAM, whereas the 1650 laptops often come with faster processors and more RAM. Seems odd? For example this and this.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just bought the Acer Predator Helios 300, GTX 1660Ti for pretty good value for money. I would say this laptop is definitely a winner for your wallet.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda, but I was posting in hopes that if I had missed a better option someone more knowledgeable could catch me before I put in the order. or even just tell me if it was a bad deal

Rule of thumb is to always wait for K.Jack 's blessing before pulling the trigger, lol.

But it's an OK deal. From what I understand, it seems like a lot of the 1060 laptops are getting big price cuts due to the 1660 taking over the space. I could be wrong.

If it were me, I'd try to trade the 17" screen for a 15", and the 1060 with a 1660Ti, with the hope of finding something that isn't too much more expensive.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
Rule of thumb is to always wait for K.Jack 's blessing before pulling the trigger, lol.

But it's an OK deal. From what I understand, it seems like a lot of the 1060 laptops are getting big price cuts due to the 1660 taking over the space. I could be wrong.

If it were me, I'd try to trade the 17" screen for a 15", and the 1060 with a 1660Ti, with the hope of finding something that isn't too much more expensive.

Yeah after reading more about it I'm still unsure. I think I really do want the 17 inch screen but you're probably right about the trade off. If only I could find something that had both lol

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah after reading more about it I'm still unsure. I think I really do want the 17 inch screen but you're probably right about the trade off. If only I could find something that had both lol

For whatever it's worth, I originally thought I wanted a 17" screen too, but settled for a 15" and now I can't imagine having anything bigger. Squeezing the 15" laptop into my backpack already makes it very snug if there's anything else in there, and I don't ever find myself wishing for more screen real estate. That said, lots of people prefer the 17" models so it's all a matter of preference & lifestyle. If you don't plan to move your laptop around much, a larger size may not be a big deal for you.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I just bought the Acer Predator Helios 300, GTX 1660Ti for pretty good value for money. I would say this laptop is definitely a winner for your wallet.
How are your fan speeds at idle? Since I had troubles with them being too loud even cooled down. (but I had the 2060 version).
Curious if the 1660TI version works better there.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Ok, I'll keep at it

Anything else I should run to test stability other than Aida?
AIDA is actually not recommended because it's load can be unrealistically light. People have reported being AIDA stable for days then hard-locking as soon as they run a practical program.

Prime95 with Small FFTs is the gold standard.

Dayum the new Alienware m15 r2 is one sexy beast. What happened to the good old days of tacky-ass, bulky looking Alienware laptops ?

And the deal I got on the Aero 15 OLED ends in a couple of days. I did not need the distraction...
There was a span where Alienware was non-tacky but still a bit bulky. Now they are slim and soldering everything to the motherboard, even the RAM.

Dell has repositioned the majority of the line as a non-enthusiast brand. Sad times and the end of a long legacy.

Yes. This will be my secondary games machine and will probably online play online shooters and smaller/older games there when I get to use it.
I was a bit too exciting with the Helios 300 but then noticed I do not need it's power (and idle fan noise...).
That makes sense. You should only spend for as much laptop as you need.

is it worth getting a 2070 max q over a 2060 ? looking at a lenovo y740 it's about 10 percent price difference. Talking especially about noise although performance would be great too.
This is the most comprehensive and well put together testing you will find between the two, which I recommend you watch in whole:

Thx for your recommendations.

I bought a ASUS ROG G752VS-BA191T from eBay for 680€. It is 7 month old and in very good condition. Looks like new and works flawless.

It has "only" a old i7 6700 CPU but a gtx 1070 gfx card. I hope i didn't overpay...
That's an outstanding dead for 680 Euros. You underpaid greatly if it's a 7 month old machine. I know I could have gotten another 400 or 500 for that if I was selling.

Oct 25, 2017
AIDA is actually not recommended because it's load can be unrealistically light. People have reported being AIDA stable for days then hard-locking as soon as they run a practical program.

Prime95 with Small FFTs is the gold standard.

There was a span where Alienware was non-tacky but still a bit bulky. Now they are slim and soldering everything to the motherboard, even the RAM.

Dell has repositioned the majority of the line as a non-enthusiast brand. Sad times and the end of a long legacy.

That makes sense. You should only spend for as much laptop as you need.

This is the most comprehensive and well put together testing you will find between the two, which I recommend you watch in whole:

That's an outstanding dead for 680 Euros. You underpaid greatly if it's a 7 month old machine. I know I could have gotten another 400 or 500 for that if I was selling.

I see, well I did have Wolfenstein Youngblood crash a few times, rolled back the undervolt until it was stable so I may be good to go now lol

I downloaded prime95 but what settings should I use

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I love 17" laptops but you have to decide if the larger screen is worth the weaker GPU. Or are you willing to spend a little more for something like the HP Omen, which retains the 17.3", and has an RTX 2060 w/ 144Hz G-Sync? That's just an example, though a good one.

Looking at some deals; is 8GB RAM sufficient for this machine?
https://www.newegg.ca/black-msi-gl-series-gl63-8sd-889-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155232

• GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB GDDR6
  • Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8750H (2.20 GHz)
  • 8 GB Memory 512 GB NVMe SSD
  • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS-Level, 120 Hz 3 ms, 94% NTSC 100% sRGB
  • 15.07" x 10.23" x 1.16" 4.80 lbs.
  • 1 x Mini DisplayPort 1 x HDMI (4K @ 60Hz)
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
  • 3 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
I've noticed a lot of the 1660Ti laptops come with only 8GB of RAM, whereas the 1650 laptops often come with faster processors and more RAM. Seems odd? For example this and this.
There is a much better GL63 SKU on Amazon. You get a lower price, your 16GB ram, and per-key RGB lighting instead of generic red.

I see, well I did have Wolfenstein Youngblood crash a few times, rolled back the undervolt until it was stable so I may be good to go now lol

I downloaded prime95 but what settings should I use
You max number of threads and smallest FTT setting is enough to put max stress on the CPU.

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
I love 17" laptops but you have to decide if the larger screen is worth the weaker GPU. Or are you willing to spend a little more for something like the HP Omen, which retains the 17.3", and has an RTX 2060 w/ 144Hz G-Sync? That's just an example, though a good one.

Thanks for this actually. RN I'm pretty much deciding between this, the Helios 300 and the Asus Zephyrus S GX531. but I think I'm leaning towards Omen.

A lot of the reviews mention poor thermals. My main hesitation rn

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The Predator Sense software shows 1980 rpm on CPU and 2460 rpm on GPU currently with no cooler pads or anything.
Okay exactly the same as with the 2060 model. Sadly that's as low as they go even when the discreet GPU is in idle and not doing anything.
I hope they update the bios/software or you are not as sensitive to the idle noise as me.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
There is a much better GL63 SKU on Amazon. You get a lower price, your 16GB ram, and per-key RGB lighting instead of generic red.

Woops, I should have mentioned the original link was canadian, so the GL63 you posted would actually be $1000 more expensive here. I'll keep looking.

Edit: Oof, this looks to be a good deal.... ends today though.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-16gb-ram-rtx-2060/13548742

Dell 15.6" Gaming Laptop -Deep Space Black (Intel Core i7-9750H/1TB HDD/128GB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 2060)

Last edited:

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
The Guardian just posted an article on the best student laptops for under £500 and it reminded me that my current laptop is struggling a bit.

My current laptop is 15.6" so I don't think I'd really want anything smaller. The 15.6" they recommend are this HP Pavilion 15 and this Lenovo ideapad in Midnight Blue.

Are these good recommendations for ~£500?

I don't really know much about this sort of stuff and just want to get my moneys worth.

I mainly use my current laptop for:
Photoshop
Spotify
YouTube
I do the majority of my gaming on Switch/PS4 but sometimes use my laptop for indies - I'd like to be able to play stuff like Return of the Obra Dinn for example, which my current laptop couldn't run.
I've also been interested in playing around with Blender at a very low level.

I'm not really in to the "gaming laptop" look so something sleek would be nice. I think the HP I linked looks pretty nice.

Any suggestions?

Oct 26, 2017
In the market for a gaming laptop that will tide me over during my week long business trips. Looking at the Acer Helios 300 as it was mentioned in /rSuggestaLaptop thread,and earlier in this one too. Seems nice but still deciding on whether to pull the trigger or not.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
That's it, finally pulled the trigger on that Aero 15 OLED.

Went with the cheapest configuration available since the jump in price from 1660 Ti to 2060 (+450 €) was outrageous for such a small performance gap. I'll add more RAM and fill the second nvme slot around christmas, probably.

So excited to get rid of the shitty Lenovo Z500 from 2013 I've been sporting for almost a year.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks for this actually. RN I'm pretty much deciding between this, the Helios 300 and the Asus Zephyrus S GX531. but I think I'm leaning towards Omen.

A lot of the reviews mention poor thermals. My main hesitation rn
Notebookcheck, the site I trust the most, stress tested it and found it to cool the 8750H above average.

For the sake of letting you exhaust all 17.3" options, as that size was your preference, I'd like to add this machine to your consideration.

Woops, I should have mentioned the original link was canadian, so the GL63 you posted would actually be $1000 more expensive here. I'll keep looking.

Edit: Oof, this looks to be a good deal.... ends today though.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-16gb-ram-rtx-2060/13548742

Dell 15.6" Gaming Laptop -Deep Space Black (Intel Core i7-9750H/1TB HDD/128GB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 2060)
Shit that's totally my bad, I missed the .CA somehow.

I didn't see the Dell price, but did you buy it?

Going back to the MSI, $1399 CAD really is a good price for 120Hz, an octa-core, 1660 Ti, and a 512GB NVMe drive.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Translate to USD?

The Guardian just posted an article on the best student laptops for under £500 and it reminded me that my current laptop is struggling a bit.

My current laptop is 15.6" so I don't think I'd really want anything smaller. The 15.6" they recommend are this HP Pavilion 15 and this Lenovo ideapad in Midnight Blue.

Are these good recommendations for ~£500?

I don't really know much about this sort of stuff and just want to get my moneys worth.

I mainly use my current laptop for:
Photoshop
Spotify
YouTube
I do the majority of my gaming on Switch/PS4 but sometimes use my laptop for indies - I'd like to be able to play stuff like Return of the Obra Dinn for example, which my current laptop couldn't run.
I've also been interested in playing around with Blender at a very low level.

I'm not really in to the "gaming laptop" look so something sleek would be nice. I think the HP I linked looks pretty nice.

Any suggestions?
The HP looks smart. The Lenovo gave me the instinctual reaction that I'd grow to hate typing on it and thus myself.

In the market for a gaming laptop that will tide me over during my week long business trips. Looking at the Acer Helios 300 as it was mentioned in /rSuggestaLaptop thread,and earlier in this one too. Seems nice but still deciding on whether to pull the trigger or not.
Does it thoroughly suit your needs?

That's it, finally pulled the trigger on that Aero 15 OLED.

Went with the cheapest configuration available since the jump in price from 1660 Ti to 2060 (+450 €) was outrageous for such a small performance gap. I'll add more RAM and fill the second nvme slot around christmas, probably.

So excited to get rid of the shitty Lenovo Z500 from 2013 I've been sporting for almost a year.
I am definitely looking forward to your thoughts. And yeah 450 € for a 2060 would've been madness.

Reddit link Dell G3 with a 1660 TI max q/i5 for 700ish after coupon, plus a 150 Visa card. Looks like a very good deal to me?
Don't like the quad core but yeah absolutely insane specs for $700.

Got my Alienware m15! Love it! So much lighter than the 15 r3 I had awhile ago.
Please let us know how it feels after a little time goes buy.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally pulled the trigger on the Y740. The 2070s performance touches the 2080 MaxQ by some accounts. Lenovo has done a decent job with its wattage performance, it seems. Will see how it does when it gets here in a month.

32 GB RAM, 144Hz panel, 2 1TB drives, one of them is an SSD and the other a 7200rpm, the i7 9750H, and the aforementioned 2070.

This is my first "gaming PC" in more than a decade. Used to build custom back in the DOS days. Feels nostalgic.

I only considered going back to PC gaming because the games are much cheaper on Steam and Epic Stores, thanks to regional pricing. My Surface Pro gave me a good taste of the potential savings, long term.

Hope it goes well.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally pulled the trigger on the Y740. The 2070s performance touches the 2080 MaxQ by some accounts. Lenovo has done a decent job with its wattage performance, it seems. Will see how it does when it gets here in a month.

32 GB RAM, 144Hz panel, 2 1TB drives, one of them is an SSD and the other a 7200rpm, the i7 9750H, and the aforementioned 2070.

This is my first "gaming PC" in more than a decade. Used to build custom back in the DOS days. Feels nostalgic.

I only considered going back to PC gaming because the games are much cheaper on Steam and Epic Stores, thanks to regional pricing. My Surface Pro gave me a good taste of the potential savings, long term.

Hope it goes well.
1080p screen?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Which do u guys think would be better if they're basically the same price? a Alienware Area 51m with a i7 8700 and 2070 or a thinner laptop (Zephryus or Razer Blade) with a 2080 max-q and i7 8750h ?

I can't decide. So Im gonna ask for some help with this one

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Which do u guys think would be better if they're basically the same price? a Alienware Area 51m with a i7 8700 and 2070 or a thinner laptop (Zephryus or Razer Blade) with a 2080 max-q and i7 8750h ?

I can't decide. So Im gonna ask for some help with this one
Well, the former is clearly made to sit in one spot with its weight and dual PSUs, while the latter are made to be portable.

The line in the sand seems pretty distinctly defined. I would not buy the portables if they are destined to mainly sit in one spot, or the desktop replacement if I am bringing it into a highly portable lifestyle.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Well, the former is clearly made to sit in one spot with its weight and dual PSUs, while the latter are made to be portable.

The line in the sand seems pretty distinctly defined. I would not buy the portables if they are destined to mainly sit in one spot, or the desktop replacement if I am bringing it into a highly portable lifestyle.
Hmm I have to travel alot but I wouldn't really be carrying the laptop around with me all day. It'd mostly be sitting on the desk at wherever I'm staying. So I guess the big one would be better in this situation.

Thanks!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I have to travel alot but I wouldn't really be carrying the laptop around with me all day. It'd mostly be sitting on the desk at wherever I'm staying. So I guess the big one would be better in this situation.

Thanks!
After lugging around an Alienware 17 R4 in the official roller bag for several months from home to hotels and back by plane, I bought a 13 R3 and carry that now.

If you are gonna take planes, do know that there are very few bags that can take the 51m. And unless you get an Everki Titan backpack or the Titan roller luggage bag, you'll dread moving it.