• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who currently has a laptop with a non-max-q 1060 GPU in it, should I be waiting for the next revision if I want something meaningfully more powerful? (It looks like the 2080 Max-Q might fit that bill, but all the machines with it start at $3K...)

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Finally did a repaste and replacement of the thermal pads of my AW 17 R4 7820HK/1080. Got that modded Heatsink off ebay and oh man, it runs quite well.

Still gotta work on the throttling for 4 cores at 4 Ghz though.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who currently has a laptop with a non-max-q 1060 GPU in it, should I be waiting for the next revision if I want something meaningfully more powerful? (It looks like the 2080 Max-Q might fit that bill, but all the machines with it start at $3K...)
I'm kinda in the same shoe. If you don't go higher than 1080p, an older model with a 1070 is very close to a 2060 while being cheaper. That's what I'm aiming for.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You'll probably be good until 7nm GPUs in 2020 (or later)

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
So I was looking at getting a laptop and I saw this on reddit on sale - https://www.amazon.com/HP-i7-7700HQ...def54b08c0cded9c03323c34935319&language=en_US

I was also looking at the Overpowered 17 inch laptop that has been talked about on here before- https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWE...00476470701857231277&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

The Omen has a better GPU but I've read it has serious thermal issues + it's a refurbished unit that isn't being sold by HP makes me nervous. The Overpowered has a bunch of questions as well but I've seen a lot better user reviews than the big places gave it. I'm not a heavy PC gamer anyway so I'm more worried about just making sure they don't melt on me lol.

Thoughts?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
With a 1060 you should hold out for the Nvidia series.You aren't even struggling at 1080p yet, and all of the new laptops are still shipping with 1080p displays.

The smartest thing to do when a new console generation is imminent, is to way and buy the GPUs that release around that time.
Finally did a repaste and replacement of the thermal pads of my AW 17 R4 7820HK/1080. Got that modded Heatsink off ebay and oh man, it runs quite well.

Still gotta work on the throttling for 4 cores at 4 Ghz though.
What thermal compound did you use?

So I was looking at getting a laptop and I saw this on reddit on sale - https://www.amazon.com/HP-i7-7700HQ...def54b08c0cded9c03323c34935319&language=en_US

I was also looking at the Overpowered 17 inch laptop that has been talked about on here before- https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWE...00476470701857231277&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

The Omen has a better GPU but I've read it has serious thermal issues + it's a refurbished unit that isn't being sold by HP makes me nervous. The Overpowered has a bunch of questions as well but I've seen a lot better user reviews than the big places gave it. I'm not a heavy PC gamer anyway so I'm more worried about just making sure they don't melt on me lol.

Thoughts?
At that price and those specs I'd be tempted to shoot my shot with the refurb.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Do you have an HDMI cable? Whether it also happens when plugged into your TV or monitor would be very telling.
Well, I hadn't considered that. As it was my laptop I never thought about plugging it in to my TV. I will try that when I can.
Edit: Right I very quickly hooked it up to my LG OLED and it's fine. No ghosting what-so-ever. This suggests it's not the driver but when it comes to g-sync compatibility and performance is that not via the driver? Or is this purely on the display on my laptop? I don't know what to think?

Last edited:

ZeronosVega

Dec 8, 2017
Thomasville, GA
Does anyone have any opinions and/or experience with the newer ASUS ROG Strix Scar II? The only reviews I can find are for the older models without the RTX cards in them.

Donuts

Oct 28, 2017
Alright I may as well document my experience here. I've been in the market for a new lightweight laptop, coming from an early 2014 macbook air I absolutely loved using that thing. So small and lightweight and easy/enjoyable to use. I've also started working at a new job where I got a nice pay bump so my price range is....fairly high.

Here's basically what I'm looking for:
"A macbook air that can play games decently well"

Here's what I'm actually looking for:
-13 inch laptop
-3ish pounds
-GREAT build quality
-Windows precision touch pad
-Can play a reasonable amount of modern video games at medium settings and sometimes high. (R6 Siege, League, RE2, etc.)

Nice to haves:
-The option of a thunderbolt 3 ucb c port in case I decide to go with an egpu and simply place the laptop on some sort of hub.

So I bought the Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2019 because it checks all the boxes for me. I just got it in the mail yesterday and have already noticed one thing in particular that annoys me quite a bit: the coil whine! Even when completely idle or just browsing the internet it'll make a surprising amount of noise. Not 'loud', but just enough noise to be noticeable.

Is this a thing with most 13" gaming laptops? If it continues to be annoying I may have to return it and make some concessions with what I expect out of my next laptop.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Does anyone have any opinions and/or experience with the newer ASUS ROG Strix Scar II? The only reviews I can find are for the older models without the RTX cards in them.
It's the same exact laptop with a new card in it, so the reviews still apply.
Kryonaut

Thought about IC Diamond but meh, I don't mind repasting in a few years.
How big of a temperature change have you seen?
Alright I may as well document my experience here. I've been in the market for a new lightweight laptop, coming from an early 2014 macbook air I absolutely loved using that thing. So small and lightweight and easy/enjoyable to use. I've also started working at a new job where I got a nice pay bump so my price range is....fairly high.

-13 inch laptop
-3ish pounds
-GREAT build quality
-Can play a reasonable amount of modern video games at medium settings and sometimes high. (R6 Siege, League, RE2, etc.)

Nice to haves:
-The option of a thunderbolt 3 ucb c port in case I decide to go with an egpu and simply place the laptop on some sort of hub.

So I bought the Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2019 because it checks all the boxes for me. I just got it in the mail yesterday and have already noticed one thing in particular that annoys me quite a bit: the coil whine! Even when completely idle or just browsing the internet it'll make a surprising amount of noise. Not 'loud', but just enough noise to be noticeable.

Is this a thing with most 13" gaming laptops? If it continues to be annoying I may have to return it and make some concessions with what I expect out of my next laptop.
Is coil whine a widespread thing with the Blade Stealth?
Folks,

Any glaring issues that would prevent me from picking up this ultra book?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07JB56QJ7/ref=twister_B07MBR2DK4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Basically looking for something lightweight for light gaming of older titles in this price range.
I don't know anything about it beyond what I would get from going and reading reviews.

A few people on Amazon mention screen flickering so I would look into that first.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
I think I finally found the issue with my laptop cpu hitting 70-80 degrees and high usage even at idle.

My minimum processor state is set to 100%. That does not look right. What percent should it be at?

Edit: as soon as I typed this, the cpu cores settle and temps drop into the 50s wtf. I didn't change anything...

Donuts

Oct 28, 2017
Is coil whine a widespread thing with the Blade Stealth?

I'm not sure about widespread, but it's certainly a thing many people are having issues with. Honestly you don't really hear it when the fans are going. It's at idle where it gets annoying. Browsing the web with 2 or 3 tabs and the fan not going.

There was another issue with the audio crackling as if there were a cell phone next to a set of old speakers. But downloading the latest realtek drivers straight from the realtek site fixes that issue. I found a reddit post where someone mentioned the latest BIOS update fixed the coil whine but for some reason razer seems to have cleared their drivers page for the blade stealth 2019.

Strange. I plan to still use this for a week or two to see how annoying is truly is and whether or not I can deal with it. Otherwise the laptop is great!

Anybody using the Razer Blade or Blade Stealth? I reeeealy like the design. It's probably the only laptop that would pull me away from Mac.

Based on the window shopping I've done and actually holding / using the stealth (albeit for two days now) this might be the closest in build quality you'll get to a macbook. The touchpad *isn't quite* a macbook touchpad but it's close. Surprisingly close. I've noticed a few small annoyances here and there but it's not enough to really raise a stink about.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bit of an odd question but since I recently got a new laptop (Predator Helios 500 [AMD]), i'm planning on selling my formerly main laptop (after a clean reinstallation of Windows), a Clevo rebrand called XMG and was wondering if anyone knew what prices I should be trying to sell it for. It's in relatively good condition and has a 250GB Samsung m.2 for a boot drive (there were additional SSDs added in but I plan to put those into an external enclosure), a 6700K for a CPU, a 980M for a GPU and i'm going to replace the RAM (again, it's going into the new laptop) with at least 8GB of dual channel DDR4.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

-13 inch laptop
-3ish pounds
-GREAT build quality

Nice to haves:

Yeah the only modern 13 inch laptop with with really good cooling is the GTX 10-series Alienware 13 but it's been discontinued and it's THICK.

Razer is pretty much the only gaming laptop that'll be that small right now. So with that you'll have to deal with the normal Razer problems. All of the other small laptops are the 15 inch Max-q ones.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Bit of an odd question but since I recently got a new laptop (Predator Helios 500 [AMD]), i'm planning on selling my formerly main laptop (after a clean reinstallation of Windows), a Clevo rebrand called XMG and was wondering if anyone knew what prices I should be trying to sell it for. It's in relatively good condition and has a 250GB Samsung m.2 for a boot drive (there were additional SSDs added in but I plan to put those into an external enclosure), a 6700K for a CPU, a 980M for a GPU and i'm going to replace the RAM (again, it's going into the new laptop) with at least 8GB of dual channel DDR4.
If it was my laptop, with the chassis in good cosmetic condition, I would ask $1,000 USD.

Is it known whether it can be upgraded to 10 or 20 series GPUs?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If it was my laptop, with the chassis in good cosmetic condition, I would ask $1,000 USD.

Is it known whether it can be upgraded to 10 or 20 series GPUs?
Officially? No, but there have been unofficial mods using Prema that allow it to be upgraded to use a 10 series GPU.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What's fan noise been like on previous Razer Blade 15s? I get that thin-and-light is always going to have an audible fan under load, but the whiney pitch of my 2016 MSI GS65 Stealth made me sell it and wait a while until I can jump back in with something a lot quieter and with much better built in speakers. Also, I want Gsync.

Been eyeballing the brand new Razer Blade 15 (the RTX ones) and think it might be an eventual good fit, just wondering if the fan noise is going to bother the heck out of me again in the long run. I don't mind audible fans, I just don't like whiney audible fans.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Officially? No, but there have been unofficial mods using Prema that allow it to be upgraded to use a 10 series GPU.
The unofficial is all that ever matters. I figured Prema would be involved if it happened.

I may go back to Clevo some day.
What's fan noise been like on previous Razer Blade 15s? I get that thin-and-light is always going to have an audible fan under load, but the whiney pitch of my 2016 MSI GS65 Stealth made me sell it and wait a while until I can jump back in with something a lot quieter and with much better built in speakers. Also, I want Gsync.

Been eyeballing the brand new Razer Blade 15 (the RTX ones) and think it might be an eventual good fit, just wondering if the fan noise is going to bother the heck out of me again in the long run. I don't mind audible fans, I just don't like whiney audible fans.

The fans can reach the same decibels but they aren't high pitched like the 2016 GS's were. Notebookcheck reviewed the new Blade 15, you can find detailed fan level comparisons down a ways.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The unofficial is all that ever matters. I figured Prema would be involved if it happened.

I may go back to Clevo some day.

The fans can reach the same decibels but they aren't high pitched like the 2016 GS's were. Notebookcheck reviewed the new Blade 15, you can find detailed fan level comparisons down a ways.

Thanks for the review link!

I was actually completely unaware until I was reading it that the Blade 15 lacks Gsync/VRR. Bummer, that immediately takes it out of consideration for me. I think I may just go desktop route with my upcoming PC purchase, then.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
I was looking at the Alienware 17 and updating the monitor to the 120hz display which brings it up to about $2k USD before taxes and additional fees. Is that a good price? Anybody know if it comes with the normal GTX 1070 or is it Max-Q? Going by the description it reads like the 1080 is max-q, but I'm not sure if that also applies to the 1070. I looked at the m17s, but their displays are only selling at 60Hz.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...enware-17/spd/alienware-17-laptop/dkcwcflg033

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the Alienware 17 and updating the monitor to the 120hz display which brings it up to about $2k USD before taxes and additional fees. Is that a good price? Anybody know if it comes with the normal GTX 1070 or is it Max-Q? Going by the description it reads like the 1080 is max-q, but I'm not sure if that also applies to the 1070. I looked at the m17s, but their displays are only selling at 60Hz.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...enware-17/spd/alienware-17-laptop/dkcwcflg033

Alienware 17 R4 and R5s are full Mobile 1070 and 1080. You can even flash a higher clocked GPU Bios for higher Boost. Dell provides it themselves.

Be aware that you might have to repaste it at least.

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
I wish Dell UK still had decent options for the 17 R5. It's bare now. Looks like only screen is UHD 60Hz that's it.

I'm still leaning towards the MSI GS75 now though. Even with the short comings of the max q GPU it's design is so appealing to me that not a lot else comes close.

Im ok with sacrificing raw power if it means I have a laptop that's actually pretty portable. It's actually smaller than my current non gaming laptop which is pretty amazing.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Dell UK still had decent options for the 17 R5. It's bare now. Looks like only screen is UHD 60Hz that's it.

I'm still leaning towards the MSI GS75 now though. Even with the short comings of the max q GPU it's design is so appealing to me that not a lot else comes close.

Im ok with sacrificing raw power if it means I have a laptop that's actually pretty portable. It's actually smaller than my current non gaming laptop which is pretty amazing.
That's probably why I'm considering selling the 17 R4 even though it works perfectly now :(

I need something more portable. The 1440p 120Hz screen is beautiful, 1080 is still a performer, and the 7820HK OCs nicely. But damn it is big.

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
That's probably why I'm considering selling the 17 R4 even though it works perfectly now :(

I need something more portable. The 1440p 120Hz screen is beautiful, 1080 is still a performer, and the 7820HK OCs nicely. But damn it is big.

I was very close to going with the Area 51m, but in the end the whole two power brick thing turned me off it. I get why it needs them, but since the whole point of me needing a laptop is because I don't have any desk space having two power bricks trailing across the floor wasn't going to fly. If I was going to be keeping it at a desk then it would have been fine.

The MSI being smaller than my current laptop whilst offering vastly more power is the best of both worlds.

It looks like a regular laptop from the outside, so no funny looks from people when you are using it for every day stuff, and it has the power to handle all the games you want when it's time to play.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Ok. So update on my gaming laptop with its ghosting issue. Got a reply back from Asus saying they would replace the display with a new one, which is a result. I am still under warranty so that's cool. I came to the conclusion it was a hardware problem too because I plugged my laptop into my 100hz ultrawide g-sync monitor and it was fine, no ghosting. Interestingly when I went back to my laptop it too was fine (I had read turning g-sync on and off could 'cure' the problem), for about 2 hours then I specifically noticed the moment when the ghosting reappeared. It wasn't as severe as it had been. Regardless I don't see this as a driver issue but a hardware one. I can't send it back straight away as I am using it for work but once I get a temp replacement at the end of the week I'll send it off.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo ordered a AW 13 R3 7700HQ/1060 OLED from the Outlet with one of their coupons. Now to wait because I got the cheap shipping and couldn't change it to a faster one after placing the order :(

I wanna try how it is traveling with it compared to my 17 R4 7820HK/1080, then sell one of the two.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I don't know too much about laptop but in looking to buy one with an RTX 2070. Any recommended model ? I'm in Canada if that changes anything otherwise I've seen a few tempting Asus and MSI one. Is one of the brand better than the other ?

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'm worried about is the lack of G-sync but most reviews don't seem to bring it up as an issue

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
What's the issue with max q cards?
In general, a Max Q 1070 doesn't really run much faster than a regular 1060, making it a hard sell for the extra $.

They're doing away with the Max Q branding with RTX, making things more confusing, as the low and high performance versions will just both be called 'RTX 2060' or whatever.

The one thing I'm worried about is the lack of G-sync but most reviews don't seem to bring it up as an issue
If battery life matters more than VRR to you, it's not worth it. G-Sync laptops can't switch off the GPU and run on integrated graphics when not gaming. (It's called Optimus)

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
If anyone's trying to get a deal on a 10-series laptop, the OP 17 inch is back in stock at Walmart for $999.

Under a grand for an 8750h, 32gb Ram, 1060 6GB, 256gb ssd + 2TB HDD, 17" 144hz 300 nit IPS with thin bezels, mechanical keyboard... I'll probably just slap a RoG sticker over the OP logo 😂

https://slickdeals.net/f/12745738-o...2tb-hdd-32gb-ram-windows-10-999?src=catpagev2

Yup. Mine is gonna be ready Friday to pick up. The own or disown review you linked is the one that made me comfortable going ahead and buying it the other day. Just gonna buy another SSD down the road and I'll be set. Maybe a sleeve for the back too lol.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yup. Mine is gonna be ready Friday to pick up. The own or disown review you linked is the one that made me comfortable going ahead and buying it the other day. Just gonna buy another SSD down the road and I'll be set. Maybe a sleeve for the back too lol.
I didn't do pickup but mine should be here 2/19. I was kinda skeptical But all the comments from people who got one were reassuring. I watched a couple of reviews about the chassis without the 'walmart stigma' too, and they looked good. This one is the same body but sold through a boutique supplier:

I also read some reviews that said the speakers were quiet, then I read that if you start the process 'Sound Blaster Connect' you can make it way louder. It has 2 regular speakers and a small subwoofer on the 17" version.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
In term of value, RTX laptops are not great. Hold off when the next gen consoles come out.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't know too much about laptop but in looking to buy one with an RTX 2070. Any recommended model ? I'm in Canada if that changes anything otherwise I've seen a few tempting Asus and MSI one. Is one of the brand better than the other ?
MSI is overall better, and has been for quite some time.

Suggestions.... hard to do without knowing your budget, but the GE75 Raider is a very sleek machine if you are seeking a full RTX 2070.
QUOTE="inner-G, post: 17827877, member: 10536"]I didn't do pickup but mine should be here 2/19. I was kinda skeptical But all the comments from people who got one were reassuring. I watched a couple of reviews about the chassis without the 'walmart stigma' too, and they looked good. This one is the same body but sold through a boutique supplier:

I also read some reviews that said the speakers were quiet, then I read that if you start the process 'Sound Blaster Connect' you can make it way louder. It has 2 regular speakers and a small subwoofer on the 17" version.[/QUOTE]
The biggest issue with the Overpowered laptops is that there is no customer service or tech support.

Are there laptops with 1160s or is that only for desktops?
The 1160 doesn't exist in either market until Nvidia says it does.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The biggest issue with the Overpowered laptops is that there is no customer service or tech support.
Walmart is the tech support, and it seems they just replace or refund them if you have problems. It has a 2 year warranty, and Citi card doubles that, so I can live with it.

I've only ever RMAd one electronic part in my life though, so I'm not worried about it - if something electronic doesn't break right off the bat, it's probably solid. I'm still going to open it up and tinker around, though. Maybe put Kryonaut on it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
My brother's been interested in getting a 2 in 1 laptop with detachable screen. He's considering the Surface Pro 6, but that thing is too pricey for his needs I feel, so I'm trying to find him alternatives. Now granted the Surface Book 2 is even pricier for his needs, but what are good alternatives to the Surface devices?
We'd prefer models that let you detach the screen. He does very light gaming (League of Legends and CS GO) but wants to replace his ye olde laptop with something a little lighter.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I didn't do pickup but mine should be here 2/19. I was kinda skeptical But all the comments from people who got one were reassuring. I watched a couple of reviews about the chassis without the 'walmart stigma' too, and they looked good. This one is the same body but sold through a boutique supplier:

I also read some reviews that said the speakers were quiet, then I read that if you start the process 'Sound Blaster Connect' you can make it way louder. It has 2 regular speakers and a small subwoofer on the 17" version.

I'm normally a headset guy so the sound stuff doesn't bother me too much. But it's good to know that you can improve it. Guess I'll find out once it's here.
Since it was 10 bucks cheaper to pick up I figured that was the best option. I live on the corner of a fairly busy street too so I was a bit nervous having someone drop it off on my porch.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm normally a headset guy so the sound stuff doesn't bother me too much. But it's good to know that you can improve it. Guess I'll find out once it's here.
Since it was 10 bucks cheaper to pick up I figured that was the best option. I live on the corner of a fairly busy street too so I was a bit nervous having someone drop it off on my porch.
That makes sense, especially if you live in a busy area. I'm pumped though, the package finally shipped out from their warehouse and my date updated to 2/15, also. Should have it for the weekend🤘