• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Bought a 1060, I5 128SSD 1TB dell laptop from ebay, it arrives tomorrow, the dude cancelled a previous buyer for more money, so I'm kinda worried. let you know tomorrow.

if all is good, I will have a dell 250GB ssd, 1TB, I5, 1050, for sale in the BST thread.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

So I'm very close to finally buying a gaming laptop. I haven't had a PC that could handle anything even decently modern in over a decade. I've essentially been a console gamer. I was considering the MSI, but just watched this review and it's got me convinced this is THE best option going right now for the price. Microcenter near my house has this model (2060) available on sale for $1700. What do you guys think? Keep in mind I haven't bought anything like this in a VERY long time...so I need some advice.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Are Asus still using the AU Optronics B156HAN08.2 panels on some of their laptops? I'd be very careful about getting one if they do as that is my display and that has inverse ghosting because of an aggressive overdrive on the panel (which I can't fix and Asus are ignorant of).

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Are Asus still using the AU Optronics B156HAN08.2 panels on some of their laptops? I'd be very careful about getting one if they do as that is my display and that has inverse ghosting because of an aggressive overdrive on the panel (which I can't fix and Asus are ignorant of).

Of course I have no idea, but that laptop is getting good reviews. Other recommendations in the $1700-1800 range?

Tortfeasor

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Hi everyone. I am looking for a gaming laptop and need some advice. Budget really is not a concern. The laptop can be 15 or 17 inch but needs to be less than 16"!wide so it can fit in my briefcase. The other main concerns is that I want something without insane fan noise and I want it to look nice and not garish as I'm 46 and it will be out where people will see it. I'll be playing this in the same room as where my family may be watching TV and don't want to be annoying with such a loud fan.

I've basically narrowed it down to the white Razer 15 2060 and the ASOS Zephyrus GX701GX. Both a readily available from my local Best Buy. I love the look and feel of the Razor especially as it doesn't look like a gaming PC but it's low powered with a RTX 2060 and only has a 512gb SSD. The Asus has a 2080, GSync 17" monitor with a 15" laptop footprint and 1tb SSD which obviously is much better than the Razer but seems to have loud fans and looks more like a traditional gaming PC. I know that the ASUS is also $1k more expensive but that's not an issue.

Anyways, I'm ready to pull the trigger either way in the next few days. I'd love to head some real world feedback as to how loud the fans are on the two systems and if I'm putting too much stock on the 2080 vs 2060 and the HD size. I have a bad habit of buying the highest end thing and then never really utilizing all of the features and want to make sure that I wouldn't just be happy with the less expensive Razer.

As far as games goes, I'll be playing mostly single player RPGs, indies, FPS and other stuff not readily available on consoles. I have a PS4 and Switch which will be my primary platform if a game is released on both PC and console.

I should mention that I'm open to other machines as well. I'd prefer to buy local just in case I have issues I can deal with a local retailer. I also looked at the MSI stealth thought the build quality was poor.

Thanks in advance.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
ASOS Zephyrus GX701GX

Sounds like we are in the same situation! I've been researching for weeks and finally pulled the trigger on the Razer 2060. I looked at the ASUS but it's $1k more expensive which is crazy. I've spoken to several folks and everyone has told me that the 2060 is still VERY powerful and you won't see much upside in the 2070 or 2080. I picked up the Razor just yesterday and it's AMAZING. I can't emphasize how well built it is.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. I am looking for a gaming laptop and need some advice. Budget really is not a concern. The laptop can be 15 or 17 inch but needs to be less than 16"!wide so it can fit in my briefcase. The other main concerns is that I want something without insane fan noise and I want it to look nice and not garish as I'm 46 and it will be out where people will see it. I'll be playing this in the same room as where my family may be watching TV and don't want to be annoying with such a loud fan.

I've basically narrowed it down to the white Razer 15 2060 and the ASOS Zephyrus GX701GX. Both a readily available from my local Best Buy. I love the look and feel of the Razor especially as it doesn't look like a gaming PC but it's low powered with a RTX 2060 and only has a 512gb SSD. The Asus has a 2080, GSync 17" monitor with a 15" laptop footprint and 1tb SSD which obviously is much better than the Razer but seems to have loud fans and looks more like a traditional gaming PC. I know that the ASUS is also $1k more expensive but that's not an issue.

Anyways, I'm ready to pull the trigger either way in the next few days. I'd love to head some real world feedback as to how loud the fans are on the two systems and if I'm putting too much stock on the 2080 vs 2060 and the HD size. I have a bad habit of buying the highest end thing and then never really utilizing all of the features and want to make sure that I wouldn't just be happy with the less expensive Razer.

As far as games goes, I'll be playing mostly single player RPGs, indies, FPS and other stuff not readily available on consoles. I have a PS4 and Switch which will be my primary platform if a game is released on both PC and console.

I should mention that I'm open to other machines as well. I'd prefer to buy local just in case I have issues I can deal with a local retailer. I also looked at the MSI stealth thought the build quality was poor.

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, if you are looking for quiet, small and fast, they do not exist. Maybe an Alienware 13 R3, but those only exist as refurbs now. 15 R4 are basically 16" laptops.

Check https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...0H-RTX-2080-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.410959.0.html

They compare the Asus with others, including the Razer. According to their noise measurements, the Razer 15 seems to be the quietest of the bunch in that article.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
looking at this for my next laptop. my only concern is the hdd/ssd thing. i've had people tell me it's really a lot better to get a laptop with just an ssd because an hdd will eventually slow down. how important is that really?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi there,

Looking for a decent gaming laptop for max 1200€ but would rather not spend more than 1000€ if possible.

Any recommendations ? 17" preferred.
I'd mostly play WoW on it and maybe some FPS. Thanks !

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Thanks in advance.
If the PS4 will be yourr main platform, spending an extra $1k for a 2080 would be kinda pointless, no?

So is it only rtx that nvidia will implement on older cards? What about dlss?
DLSS actually requires hardware that only the RTX cards have, so that's not happening.

The ray tracing on Pascal cards is going to have brutal performance penalties, as software ray tracing always has, so be prepared for disappointment on that front.

I honestly think Nvidia is adding RT to the older cards as free marketing for why the RTX hardware is justifiable. It's a brilliant move from that perspective.

looking at this for my next laptop. my only concern is the hdd/ssd thing. i've had people tell me it's really a lot better to get a laptop with just an ssd because an hdd will eventually slow down. how important is that really?
HDDs don't slow down, they are just inherently slow from the get go. You could always replace the HDD with a cheap 2.5" SDD later.

Hi there,

Looking for a decent gaming laptop for max 1200€ but would rather not spend more than 1000€ if possible.

Any recommendations ? 17" preferred.
I'd mostly play WoW on it and maybe some FPS. Thanks !
I don't know what in country you reside, but what are the 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 laptops going for now?

You don't need a monster GPU for WoW after all.

I say he needs to branch out and review bigger laptops like the 51M and here he is.

Does David read ERA?

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
When I use GeForce Experience it sets my settings to low/mid/high and I get stuttering on FH4, which seems odd for my I5, 1060 at 1080p laptop, using the game recommended setting I get close to the same thing, when I switch to ultra/60 the game pretty much runs flawless, sometimes dipping into 58fps. am I about to blow up my computer running it like this? I played for about 90 minutes a few days ago, computer seems fine, slightly warm not hot at all.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what in country you reside, but what are the 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 laptops going for now?

You don't need a monster GPU for WoW after all.
1050 Ti is about 1000-1200 while 1060 is at 1200-1600€ from what I've seen.

Can I play every current PC game with a 1050 Ti?

Also, how much would a 1660 laptop cost theoretically ?

Singh

Oct 26, 2017
I am after a new laptop, what do you guys think of this one.

ASUS ROG Strix GL503VS.

£1089

Specs:

• Windows 10
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7700 processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • Operating system: Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor - Quad-core - 2.8 GHz / 3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost) - 6 MB cache
  • RAM8 GB DDR5
  • Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8 GB GDDR5 - 10th generation Pascal
  • Storage - 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm - 256 GB SSD
  • Touchscreen: No
  • Screen size: 15.6"
  • Screen type: LED
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Screen features: 16:9

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
When I use GeForce Experience it sets my settings to low/mid/high and I get stuttering on FH4, which seems odd for my I5, 1060 at 1080p laptop, using the game recommended setting I get close to the same thing, when I switch to ultra/60 the game pretty much runs flawless, sometimes dipping into 58fps. am I about to blow up my computer running it like this? I played for about 90 minutes a few days ago, computer seems fine, slightly warm not hot at all.
Don't rely on Experience since it won't necessarily set the game to the settings that would actually let it run normally.
If anything, set your own and lower any options that would be too demanding such as shadows, bloom, etc.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Could be because lower settings are CPU bound while Ultra is GPU bound, so it runs better when the game is depending on the 1060 the most.

No you shouldn't worry about negatively affecting the laptop. If the temps are below 90C you are good.

1050 Ti is about 1000-1200 while 1060 is at 1200-1600€ from what I've seen.

Can I play every current PC game with a 1050 Ti?

Also, how much would a 1660 laptop cost theoretically ?

The 1050 Ti is good for medium/high settings in AAA games at 1080p, the 1060 will do high/ultra.

Hypothetically a laptop with a GTX 1660 should cost around €200 less than one with an RTX 2060.

If the difference in price between a 1050 Ti and 1060 equipped machine is really only a couple hundred Euros, I have to strongly recommend the latter. You get one chance to choose the GPU and longevity is always the deciding factor.

ASUS ROG Strix GL503VS.

£1089

Specs:

• Windows 10
  • Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor - Quad-core - 2.8 GHz / 3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost) - 6 MB cache
  • RAM8 GB DDR5
Shit a GTX 1070 at that price is "jump on me immediately" pricing. Those are insane specs to get so cheaply. Don't even think about it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

ASUS ROG Strix GL503VS.

£1089

Specs:

• Windows 10
  • RAM8 GB DDR5
Well for one thing it isn't a Max-Q card which is a pl
Could be because lower settings are CPU bound while Ultra is GPU bound, so it runs better when the game is depending on the 1060 the most.

No you shouldn't worry about negatively affecting the laptop. If the temps are below 90C you are good.

The 1050 Ti is good for medium/high settings in AAA games at 1080p, the 1060 will do high/ultra.

Hypothetically a laptop with a GTX 1660 should cost around €200 less than one with an RTX 2060.

If the difference in price between a 1050 Ti and 1060 equipped machine is really only a couple hundred Euros, I have to strongly recommend the latter. You get one chance to choose the GPU and longevity is always the deciding factor.

Shit a GTX 1070 at that price is "jump on me immediately" pricing. Those are insane specs to get so cheaply. Don't even think about it.
I did a little research myself and was going to post that thats a good deal XD

Aquaman

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what the best gaming laptop is under 1000 dollars? My brother's computer is basically dead and he needs a laptop asap for work, but decided to get a gaming one instead of macbook (those also cost a ton so yeah).

I've seen many good choices online, but I am not good with computers so I can't tell why some may be cheaper or more expensive than others haha If yall have any suggestions I would accept any. I was asked about this just because I play on a PS4...

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the best gaming laptop is under 1000 dollars? My brother's computer is basically dead and he needs a laptop asap for work, but decided to get a gaming one instead of macbook (those also cost a ton so yeah).

I've seen many good choices online, but I am not good with computers so I can't tell why some may be cheaper or more expensive than others haha If yall have any suggestions I would accept any. I was asked about this just because I play on a PS4...

He needs it for work? Will he need good battery life and for it to be lightweight? Cause gaming capable PCs can't do that, not for that price range.

Aquaman

Oct 27, 2017
He needs it for work? Will he need good battery life and for it to be lightweight? Cause gaming capable PCs can't do that, not for that price range.

None of those things matter much, he doesn't actually travel with it; it's for home. And it isn't something like editing or anything, he just needs to be on the computer for most of the day. He usually leaves his computer plugged in so I don't believe battery life is something he needs to worry about.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Sorry for asking this but I've been trying to find a proper comparison image that compares the mobile 2070 and 2080 with the GTX 1070 and 1080 (mobile as well of course). I remember seeing it posted here but I can't find the page it was listed in.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking of a new laptop under $800 and I've come upon these:
  • Acer Aspire 7 (A715-72G-71CT, Refurb) - i7-8750H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 128GB SSD for $799
  • Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-53-52FA) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HDD for $698.00
  • ASUS FX504 (FX504GE-US52) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hybrid HDD for $749.99
  • Dell G3 15 Gaming (G3579-5941BLK-PUS) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 128GB SSD for $775
  • Dell G5 (G5587-7037RED-PUS) - i7-8750H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD +128GB SSD for $799
  • HP Pavillion Gaming 15 (15-cx0030nr) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 128GB SSD for $714.99
  • Lenovo Legion Y530 (81FV0001US) - i7-8750H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HDD for $749.99
I absolutely need the storage, that's why I'm not going full SSD. It's going to be near an outlet most of the time, so weight and battery life aren't super important. It's going to be used mostly for indie games and emulators, and I wouldn't mind playing newer games on Low-Mid. Also will be using it for programming and photo editing.

The Aspire 7 looks pretty nice and has good specs, but I'm worried about the temperatures (due to the heat sink design) and it being refurbished. The Nitro 5 doesn't look too "gamer" but still it's a bit ugly (hate the angles on the top of the screen), the specs are not as good but at least it's cheap, and I also worry about the temperature. The FX504 is the ugliest of them all, but it's a bit better spec wise to the Nitro 5, tho I've hear the screens aren't really good. The G3 seems OK, doesn't look "gamer" tho the inside is a bit ugly, and spec wise it's a bit better than the Nitro 5, but not by much. The G5 seems like a good deal, having the same specs as the Aspire 7 and it's new, but I find it a bit ugly. The HP Pavillion seems comparable to the G3, but with a better GPU, but I find it a bit ugly (especially because of the green) and I'm worried about build quality. And the Legion Y530 looks pretty OK, and spec wise it's good, I just wish I could find one with SSD as well for a good price.

Obviously the Aspire 7 and G5 are the best of the bunch, but I'm also considering forgoing the SSD and going for the Y530 as it seems the best build-wise out of the three and it will be replacing by 7 years old HP Pavillion dv6t which is doing fine without a SSD. I'm quite worried about the temperatures of the Aspire 7 because I live in a tropical country (a friend will bring me the laptop from the US btw).

So, is there a comparable one I'm missing? What are the build quality of these? Is there much of a difference between the i5 and i7, or the 1050 and the 1050 Ti?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
  • Acer Aspire 7 (A715-72G-71CT, Refurb) - i7-8750H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 128GB SSD for $799
  • Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-53-52FA) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HDD for $698.00
  • ASUS FX504 (FX504GE-US52) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hybrid HDD for $749.99
  • Dell G3 15 Gaming (G3579-5941BLK-PUS) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 128GB SSD for $775
  • Dell G5 (G5587-7037RED-PUS) - i7-8750H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD +128GB SSD for $799
  • HP Pavillion Gaming 15 (15-cx0030nr) - i5-8300H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400rpm HDD + 128GB SSD for $714.99
  • Lenovo Legion Y530 (81FV0001US) - i7-8750H, GTX 1050 Ti, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HDD for $749.99
I absolutely need the storage, that's why I'm not going full SSD. It's going to be near an outlet most of the time, so weight and battery life aren't super important. It's going to be used mostly for indie games and emulators, and I wouldn't mind playing newer games on Low-Mid. Also will be using it for programming and photo editing.

The Aspire 7 looks pretty nice and has good specs, but I'm worried about the temperatures (due to the heat sink design) and it being refurbished. The Nitro 5 doesn't look too "gamer" but still it's a bit ugly (hate the angles on the top of the screen), the specs are not as good but at least it's cheap, and I also worry about the temperature. The FX504 is the ugliest of them all, but it's a bit better spec wise to the Nitro 5, tho I've hear the screens aren't really good. The G3 seems OK, doesn't look "gamer" tho the inside is a bit ugly, and spec wise it's a bit better than the Nitro 5, but not by much. The G5 seems like a good deal, having the same specs as the Aspire 7 and it's new, but I find it a bit ugly. The HP Pavillion seems comparable to the G3, but with a better GPU, but I find it a bit ugly (especially because of the green) and I'm worried about build quality. And the Legion Y530 looks pretty OK, and spec wise it's good, I just wish I could find one with SSD as well for a good price.

Obviously the Aspire 7 and G5 are the best of the bunch, but I'm also considering forgoing the SSD and going for the Y530 as it seems the best build-wise out of the three and it will be replacing by 7 years old HP Pavillion dv6t which is doing fine without a SSD. I'm quite worried about the temperatures of the Aspire 7 because I live in a tropical country (a friend will bring me the laptop from the US btw).

So, is there a comparable one I'm missing? What are the build quality of these? Is there much of a difference between the i5 and i7, or the 1050 and the 1050 Ti?
I got a Dell with i5 and 1060 6GB for under $800. Definitely wait for a sale in this price range.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I was looking around for potentially gaming laptop thin/light 15", but I really want one with a touch screen as I find that to be very useful in daily use/workflow. However, it's rare as all hell. Seems to be available only on very few select and only high end laptops (i.e. Razer 15 4K config).

I got to wonder what the heck is the issue. Are touch screens inherently detrimental to screen quality or refresh rates? Are they just deemed unnecessary for the target audience?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking around for potentially gaming laptop thin/light 15", but I really want one with a touch screen as I find that to be very useful in daily use/workflow. However, it's rare as all hell. Seems to be available only on very few select and only high end laptops (i.e. Razer 15 4K config).

I got to wonder what the heck is the issue. Are touch screens inherently detrimental to screen quality or refresh rates? Are they just deemed unnecessary for the target audience?

Gaming laptops usually lack touchscreen to avoid criticism from gamers of games having input glitches caused by dust/static on the touch screen. Not only that, manufacturers figure the crossover between touch users and hardcore gaming to be really low, so it is an easy spot to save money on and ignore.

It's the same reason gaming laptops usually have horrible trackpads, they assume people won't use them and instead use a USB mouse.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Gaming laptops usually lack touchscreen to avoid criticism from gamers of games having input glitches caused by dust/static on the touch screen. Not only that, manufacturers figure the crossover between touch users and hardcore gaming to be really low, so it is an easy spot to save money on and ignore.

It's the same reason gaming laptops usually have horrible trackpads, they assume people won't use them and instead use a USB mouse.
I guess that makes sense, which is a shame as touchscreen and great trackpad are my requirements, since it would be a mixed use machine that will also be used for work. I guess Razer is pretty much it, but I really don't feel like shelling out $3K (after taxes) for a laptop. Oh well, I'll just wait till next XPS 15 version (for better cooling) and just snag that or something. Alienware m15 wouldn't have been a bad choice but once again, no touchscreen.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Ask him how this looks.

Any decent laptop with a RTX 2060 with a decent price?
What the heck does decent price mean? All that matters is your budget.

Is there any way to get AC: Origins to run well on a Dell 7577?
With a GTX 1060? It should be running well on high settings already. Is it not?

Sorry for asking this but I've been trying to find a proper comparison image that compares the mobile 2070 and 2080 with the GTX 1070 and 1080 (mobile as well of course). I remember seeing it posted here but I can't find the page it was listed in.
I think this Hardware Unboxed video has the type of comparison charts for which you are looking:

The G5 seems to be the obvious choice out of this group. The Walmart Overpowered shits on the whole bunch though. There's no comparison when it comes to specs.

Two factors:

Most importantly, gamers don't give a shit about touchscreens, so the added cost of the additional SKU isn't worth it for manufacturer.

Actually, just as important is that no screen maker is producing a high refresh rate touchscreen, so it would be extremely expensive for the laptop manufacturer to make a custom order for a screen which a small percentage of customers would want. They would have to order thousand then pass the cost on to the customer. This option would be like +$300 in the configurator.

So, yeah, they would spend a ton and wouldn't sell many.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

I guess that makes sense, which is a shame as touchscreen and great trackpad are my requirements, since it would be a mixed use machine that will also be used for work. I guess Razer is pretty much it, but I really don't feel like shelling out $3K (after taxes) for a laptop. Oh well, I'll just wait till next XPS 15 version (for better cooling) and just snag that or something. Alienware m15 wouldn't have been a bad choice but once again, no touchscreen.

Yeah, pretty much gamers don't care about touchscreens.

Deleted member 1813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking at gaming laptops for the past week or two and I feel like the market is in a bit of a weird spot right now.

It's really hard for me to justify ~$1000+ for nearly three year old GPUs in the units shipping with the 10xx GTX cards (basically 1050ti and 1060 around this price). Conversely, the RTX laptops are mostly pushing up against $2000 (and well above) which I feel is a huge premium for what you ultimately get. It just seems like every segment is too expensive, including the older models.

A laptop with a 2060 for around 1100-1300 "feels" right to me but I'm not sure when/if that will happen.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
They're already out for around $1500 (laptops with 2060 - see the Lenovo Y740). So I guess it's not really a matter of if, but more when. I'm sure with a student discount or small sale you'd get that $1500 pretty close to the $1300 you want, and it's got a full 2060 desktop GPU i think, so that thing will crush any games that you give it. The 2060 is faster than the 2070 max Q by a lot iirc.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking at gaming laptops for the past week or two and I feel like the market is in a bit of a weird spot right now.

It's really hard for me to justify ~$1000+ for nearly three year old GPUs in the units shipping with the 10xx GTX cards (basically 1050ti and 1060 around this price). Conversely, the RTX laptops are mostly pushing up against $2000 (and well above) which I feel is a huge premium for what you ultimately get. It just seems like every segment is too expensive, including the older models.

A laptop with a 2060 for around 1100-1300 "feels" right to me but I'm not sure when/if that will happen.

It has already happened:

https://slickdeals.net/f/12963739-dell-2019-g5-g7-15-gaming-1161?v=1&src=tdw

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I've read the throttling situation is really terrible on those Dells? Like you'd probably want to open it up and redo the thermal paste? I guess that's not really that hard or anything though.

But I do feel like I was looking in to the 15" model and it got slammed hard for that in the reviews, and I removed it off my list.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If I was buying a 15" laptop right now, it'd probably be the Y740 with the 2070 Max-Q at $1535.99.

Normally I say skip the 2070MQ for the 2060, but on the Lenovo site at this moment the difference between the two models is less than $200. I wouldn't be able to pass on that. I have no idea how they are selling their 2070MQ SKU so much cheaper than than everyone else, but I would take advantage of it.

Mathew Moniz lamenting the fact that it has actually buttons for the touchpad kinda made me sad. EVERY gaming laptop should have dedicated buttons so a person has the option of playing casual games without plugging in a dedicated mouse. The number of games I play just with my MSI's touchpad and buttons would shock people.

Last edited:

Kirenou

Oct 25, 2017

Here's a deal that's open right now.
https://slickdeals.net/f/12977332-l...dr4-rtx-2060-256gb-pcie-ssd-win10-1257-79-f-s

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Area 15m now offers the 15" OLED 4K display as a $350 option.

The 13" OLED is the best display I've ever seen, ever, in my life, regardless of size or application or device on the 13" AW. Hopefully the higher res, bigger 15" tops it.

Shame my Area 51m will only be a 1080p LCD. But for purely video games, I'd still choose high refresh rate over OLED at 60hz. Really wish the 15m would have had a 90 or 120hz option - would have been the de-facto best screen to buy, period.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
If I was buying a 15" laptop right now, it'd probably be the Y740 with the 2070 Max-Q at $1535.99.

Normally I say skip the 2070MQ for the 2060, but on the Lenovo site at this moment the difference between the two models is less than $200. I wouldn't be able to pass on that. I have no idea how they are selling their 2070MQ SKU so much cheaper than than everyone else, but I would take advantage of it.

Mathew Moniz lamenting the fact that it has actually buttons for the touchpad kinda made me sad. EVERY gaming laptop should have dedicated buttons so a person has the option of playing casual games without plugging in a dedicated mouse. The number of games I play just with my MSI's touchpad and buttons would shock people.

The 2060 is faster than the 2070 Max Q though, right? By a decent amount.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...Force-RTX-2060-Laptop_9611_9581.247598.0.html

If you scroll down towards the way bottom where it benches games, the 2060 (laptop) gets like 10-20+ fps on the 2070MQ.

And on the 144hz gsync monitor the extra 20 frames would actually be noticeable.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
Oh man, the Y740 is so tempting. I especially love that it is a beefy, dedicated gaming laptop that does not follow those "screaming" designs ("Look at me, I'm a gaming machine!!!"). If it falls significantly below 1400€, I'm afraid I cannot resist to pull the trigger ;)
That should last me 4+ years for high-1080p, no?

Edit:
It just seems like every segment is too expensive, including the older models.

Yeah, after doing some research in the last week, I'm in the same boat in terms of impression of the pricing right now. The 1060 variants I put an eye on from last year are basically still in the same price range as the 15" Y740. Seems like one has to wait a little longer until the new (rtx) models receive enough demand/traction to align the prices downward for last years models, imo.

Last edited:

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So about the 2060 vs 2070MQ, here's a pic to illustrate what I mean:

FKGUbMO.png

At ultra settings at 1080p (which is the resolution of the Y740 and most gaming 15" laptops - some are higher, but 2160p seems extreme, and even then it compares better), we have the 2060 getting nearly 50% better framerate (~50 frames more). On a 144hz gsync monitor, I know which card I'd rather be playing the game with, and it's not the more expensive one.

Which is really weird to me. Why does the cheaper card perform so much better? And while this is more extreme than normal, it's still fair to say on average you see ~15 fps better with the less expensive 2060.