• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
So about the 2060 vs 2070MQ, here's a pic to illustrate what I mean:

FKGUbMO.png

At ultra settings at 1080p (which is the resolution of the Y740 and most gaming 15" laptops - some are higher, but 2160p seems extreme, and even then it compares better), we have the 2060 getting nearly 50% better framerate (~50 frames more). On a 144hz gsync monitor, I know which card I'd rather be playing the game with, and it's not the more expensive one.

Which is really weird to me. Why does the cheaper card perform so much better? And while this is more extreme than normal, it's still fair to say on average you see ~15 fps better with the less expensive 2060.
My wild guess would be thermal throttling. Basically it's drawing too much power and producing too much heat, thus it's being throttled to below 2060 performance.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The 2060 is faster than the 2070 Max Q though, right? By a decent amount.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeFor...Force-RTX-2060-Laptop_9611_9581.247598.0.html

If you scroll down towards the way bottom where it benches games, the 2060 (laptop) gets like 10-20+ fps on the 2070MQ.

And on the 144hz gsync monitor the extra 20 frames would actually be noticeable.
This OWNorDisown video tells another story:

The 2060 never wins a single game, and the 2070MQ's improvements in minimum framerates are key. I wouldn't pay the extreme premiums ($300-$500) which are usually asked for it over the 2060, but with the Lenovo deal asking for less than $200 between the two I could absolutely justify the upgrade.

I honestly don't trust those Notebookcheck benches. No one else is showing an insane performance delta between the two like that. There had to be an issue in the mix.

I mean benches have proven that the 2070MQ pretty much performs like a mobile GTX 1070, which is slightly faster than the RTX 2060.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
I've been smashing my head for two weeks looking for the thinnest and lightest possible laptop with at least a gtx 1050 maxq or better that doesen't look gamer-y, thin bezels are heavily appreciated(1500 euro budget).
The Dell XPS 15 9570 looks like my best bet but i don't like the design and i've read about thermal, throttling and battery issues. I would go with something like the Gigabyte Aero 15w but it's near impossible to find in europe in my price range, so i'm looking for alternatives.

A compromise option i could settle for is an ultrabook with a MX150 maxq but i'm not sure if it will play Final Fantasy XIV at 1080/60fps. I'm considering the Huawei Matebook X pro and similar, the huge pro in this case would be the high level of portability (1.3 kg and nice build quality is insane for the specs offered).

Summing it up: 1500 euro budget, as portable as it gets (around 2kgs), non gamer looking, at least gtx1050 or better if possible (i can settle for ultrabooks with discrete gpus if they can play FFXIV decently). I'm in Italy if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This OWNorDisown video tells another story:

The 2060 never wins a single game, and the 2070MQ's improvements in minimum framerates are key. I wouldn't pay the extreme premiums ($300-$500) which are usually asked for it over the 2060, but with the Lenovo deal asking for less than $200 between the two I could absolutely justify the upgrade.

I honestly don't trust those Notebookcheck benches. No one else is showing an insane performance delta between the two like that. There had to be an issue in the mix.

I mean benches have proven that the 2070MQ pretty much performs like a mobile GTX 1070, which is slightly faster than the RTX 2060.

Well that certainly makes much more sense now given the premium the 2070MQ costs over the 2060... strange their benches are that unreliable - yeah, I think that justifies writing off their gaming conclusions. Still, I think their reviews have a pretty straightforward way of testing noise and heat etc, so at least for that I would think they're right. What's the best notebook review site these days or your favorite go to for reliable reviews?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I've been smashing my head for two weeks looking for the thinnest and lightest possible laptop with at least a gtx 1050 maxq or better that doesen't look gamer-y, thin bezels are heavily appreciated(1500 euro budget).
The Dell XPS 15 9570 looks like my best bet but i don't like the design and i've read about thermal, throttling and battery issues. I would go with something like the Gigabyte Aero 15w but it's near impossible to find in europe in my price range, so i'm looking for alternatives.

A compromise option i could settle for is an ultrabook with a MX150 maxq but i'm not sure if it will play Final Fantasy XIV at 1080/60fps. I'm considering the Huawei Matebook X pro and similar, the huge pro in this case would be the high level of portability (1.3 kg and nice build quality is insane for the specs offered).

Summing it up: 1500 euro budget, as portable as it gets (around 2kgs), non gamer looking, at least gtx1050 or better if possible (i can settle for ultrabooks with discrete gpus if they can play FFXIV decently). I'm in Italy if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Note that the Matebook X has the lower end MX150 which is 15w and 2gb vram.

Have you looked at Razer? Their fare looks pretty great, it's portable and has good performance. Also new Alienware 15m is fairly portable.

Some of the Lenovo thinkpad offerings aren't bad either.

Edit: For Razer at least in US, Amazon, BestBuy and some of the other retailers carry them. Right now you can probably get older 15" model with 1060 on a discount.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You can even get the Legion Y740 15" i5 rtx2060 at alternate.de for 1500 €.
https://www.alternate.de/Lenovo/Leg...E)-Notebook/html/product/1514232?event=search

They do EU shipping afaik if you contact them.
How big is the y740? Thought it was fairly sizeable. Otherwise it's certainly a good system.

There is also Asus ROG Zephyrus and MSI GS65 Stealth. Both are fairly thin and light and have good gaming performance. Both usually would be way higher cost wise but everyone is clearing out 1060/1070 models right now.

I am also personally thinking of grabbing a system but I kind of want a 2060/1070 minimum and would also like a touchscreen. That's almost non-existent and also very expensive as Razer high end is the only choice.

Tempted to get one of the above systems instead. Just need to see which has best build and battery life.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
How big is the y740? Thought it was fairly sizeable. Otherwise it's certainly a good system.

There is also Asus ROG Zephyrus and MSI GS65 Stealth. Both are fairly thin and light and have good gaming performance. Both usually would be way higher cost wise but everyone is clearing out 1060/1070 models right now.

I am also personally thinking of grabbing a system but I kind of want a 2060/1070 minimum and would also like a touchscreen. That's almost non-existent and also very expensive as Razer high end is the only choice.

Tempted to get one of the above systems instead. Just need to see which has best build and battery life.

Legion seems too big for the portability i'm looking for and the Asus zeph looks too gamerish for my uni environment (but i do like the design honestly).

I've managed to find a Gigabyte Aero 15W for 1600 on amazon spain and i think i might go with that, but i still want to make sure that it is the best regarding portability/specs in that range. I think i can get the Razer Blade 15 base model for the same price directly from razer's website but i'm not sure they ship to italy and Gigabyte might be the best machine between the two. I'd say i'm nearly done wrapping my mind around this but still not 100% sold

UPDATE: i went for the Gigabyte Aero 15w in the end, i'll be glad to share my thoughts as soon as it comes

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Well that certainly makes much more sense now given the premium the 2070MQ costs over the 2060... strange their benches are that unreliable - yeah, I think that justifies writing off their gaming conclusions. Still, I think their reviews have a pretty straightforward way of testing noise and heat etc, so at least for that I would think they're right. What's the best notebook review site these days or your favorite go to for reliable reviews?
I trust the gaming benchmarks Notebookcheck has in their reviews of individual laptops, I just don't use the GPU comparison tool because there is too much variation between models and it lacks that context. Whatever laptop they used for the 2070MQ benches very well may be power limited to such a strong degree.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been needing a laptop and someone is selling this one:

HP Pavilion 15-cx0058wm 15.6" Gaming Notebook - Intel Core i5-8300H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GPU, 8GB RAM, 16 GB Intel Optane + 1TB HDD Storage, Windows 10 (Certified Refurbished)

For 300. What do you guys think?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There was another deal for similar system but with a gtx1650 which is 20-25% faster on average vs 1050ti.
You sure about that? I haven't seen legitimate details on any 1600 equipped laptops yet, let alone solid prices.

HP Pavilion 15-cx0058wm 15.6" Gaming Notebook - Intel Core i5-8300H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GPU, 8GB RAM, 16 GB Intel Optane + 1TB HDD Storage, Windows 10 (Certified Refurbished)

For $300 I can't say much in the way of bad things, other than the fact that refurbs only have 90 day warranties if this is the US.

A GTX 1050 that cheap is pretty amazing to see.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida

As long as everything works, thats a Fantastic deal.

1050 and I5 usually goes for $450.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You sure about that? I haven't seen legitimate details on any 1600 equipped laptops yet, let alone solid prices.

For $300 I can't say much in the way of bad things, other than the fact that refurbs only have 90 day warranties if this is the US.

Of course now I can't find it :(. It was certainly more expensive and not a refurb but was pretty well priced. I'll see if i can dig it out.

Edit: Can't find it at all. Mea culpa, I might have misremembered a 1060 deal or something.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Thinking about getting the legion y740 15" with the rtx 2070 max q for $1680....that should future proof me for a while, right?

ryanfadholi

Nov 3, 2017
Sorry for the somewhat out-of-topic posting, as it's technically not a gaming laptop.

I'm looking for an eGPU-capable ultraportable laptop for work and game at home. I'm torn between the Lenovo Yoga 730 and Blade Stealth v2. I currently don't have any choice other than these two, unfortunately.

Yoga 730 (~$1250):
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor (1.80GHz, up to 4.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)
- RAM 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz (Onboard)
- SSD 512GB
- VGA Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620
- Display 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare Multi-touch
- 1x USB-A, 2x USB-C (Thunderbolt), Audio Jack

Blade Stealth (~$1550):
- Quad-Core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor with Hyper Threading 1.8 GHz / 4.0 GHz (Base/Turbo)
- RAM 16GB RAM Dual-channel onboard memory LPDDR3-2133MHz (Fixed)
- SSD 1TB (PCIe M.2)
- VGA Intel® UHD Graphics 620
- Display 13.3" QHD+ IGZO 16:9 aspect ratio, with LED backlight, up to 178° wide viewing angles
- 2x USB-A, 1x USB-C (Thunderbolt), HDMI v2, Audio Jack

I'll probably play some lightweight games and visual novels on the go, while I'll be playing more intensive games with an eGPU in the future. AFAIK both devices have 4-lane Thunderbolt. Aside from the SSD and screen I don't see any noticeable difference, do you think it's worth the $350 extra to get the Blade Stealth? Anything else that's different from these two?

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the somewhat out-of-topic posting, as it's technically not a gaming laptop.

I'm looking for an eGPU-capable ultraportable laptop for work and game at home. I'm torn between the Lenovo Yoga 730 and Blade Stealth v2. I currently don't have any choice other than these two, unfortunately.

Yoga 730 (~$1250):
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor (1.80GHz, up to 4.60GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)
- RAM 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz (Onboard)
- SSD 512GB
- VGA Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620
- Display 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare Multi-touch
- 1x USB-A, 2x USB-C (Thunderbolt), Audio Jack

Blade Stealth (~$1550):
- Quad-Core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor with Hyper Threading 1.8 GHz / 4.0 GHz (Base/Turbo)
- RAM 16GB RAM Dual-channel onboard memory LPDDR3-2133MHz (Fixed)
- SSD 1TB (PCIe M.2)
- VGA Intel® UHD Graphics 620
- Display 13.3" QHD+ IGZO 16:9 aspect ratio, with LED backlight, up to 178° wide viewing angles
- 2x USB-A, 1x USB-C (Thunderbolt), HDMI v2, Audio Jack

I'll probably play some lightweight games and visual novels on the go, while I'll be playing more intensive games with an eGPU in the future. AFAIK both devices have 4-lane Thunderbolt. Aside from the SSD and screen I don't see any noticeable difference, do you think it's worth the $350 extra to get the Blade Stealth? Anything else that's different from these two?

The screen on that Razor seems like the biggest difference to me. Unless you have a reason to avoid the higher resolution I would lean towards that one.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Ok, I know this is a gaming thread, but I need some advice. I have a friend whose son is going to college for aerospace engineering. He needs a good laptop for college, max budget is $2000.My friend isn't sure what programs he'll need to run, though... So I'm just assuming he'll need something with lots of threads, ram, a large SSD and a beefy-ish GPU.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I know this is a gaming thread, but I need some advice. I have a friend whose son is going to college for aerospace engineering. He needs a good laptop for college, max budget is $2000.My friend isn't sure what programs he'll need to run, though... So I'm just assuming he'll need something with lots of threads, ram, a large SSD and a beefy-ish GPU.
I don't think he can get the licenses to run the software anyway, so no point in powerful system for that.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
1080p screen (IPS)
16gb+ ram
i7 8750 H
At least 256GB SSD + an additional storage drive
Some GPU

Most gaming laptops would do it, the gigabyte Aero has a sort of subdued look compared to a lot. The new Dell G7 with RTX 2060 could be good too as long as you get the 144hz IPS screen the default 60hz IPS is dim trash

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to get something for work that is a little beefy. Really like what I see from a aesthetic/spec standpoint with the Razer Blade but I am always wary of "gamer" gear and horror stories from the razer reddit.

I also like the look of the new Acer Concept D7 and the deibels being low is a plus for office use.

I'm really leaning towards a white/silver finish as the blacks are a fingerprint and dust magnet and I'm OCD and already have a launch zephyrus with a 1080maxQ. Will probably settle on a 2060 since that's only option in silver for Razer Blade.

Might just wait until 9th gen launches in a few weeks.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to get something for work that is a little beefy. Really like what I see from a aesthetic/spec standpoint with the Razer Blade but I am always wary of "gamer" gear and horror stories from the razer reddit.

I also like the look of the new Acer Concept D7 and the deibels being low is a plus for office use.

I'm really leaning towards a white/silver finish as the blacks are a fingerprint and dust magnet and I'm OCD and already have a launch zephyrus with a 1080maxQ. Will probably settle on a 2060 since that's only option in silver for Razer Blade.

Might just wait until 9th gen launches in a few weeks.
Whatever you do, get a matte screen.

Oct 25, 2017

I think Walmart was getting rid of stock or something. I saw similar model with 1050ti for $250 which is insane
https://slickdeals.net/f/13013242-h...-gtx-1050ti-1tb-hdd-8gb-ram-250-in-store-only

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever you do, get a matte screen.

That is a must. Another reason why I am liking the Acer Concept D7. Has a Pantone 4k 60hz matte screen.

Razer screen is nice as well as my local best buy has the mercury 2060 in store.

I would miss the high refresh rate but I probably won't game as much on this machine as my others.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Look into a workstation laptop. The GPU set is different from a gaming one.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I don't think he can get the licenses to run the software anyway, so no point in powerful system for that.
His college is providing the software, he needs something that can run it. Do have experience in the field?

1080p screen (IPS)
16gb+ ram
i7 8750 H
At least 256GB SSD + an additional storage drive
Some GPU

Most gaming laptops would do it, the gigabyte Aero has a sort of subdued look compared to a lot. The new Dell G7 with RTX 2060 could be good too as long as you get the 144hz IPS screen the default 60hz IPS is dim trash
Thanks.

Look into a workstation laptop. The GPU set is different from a gaming one.
The college suggested gaming laptops to the students. But I don't know if the software likes lots of CPU threads, or if it's written for Cuda or OpenCL... These types of questions are making it hard to suggest anything. I wasn't sure if anyone here had used the software before.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The college suggested gaming laptops to the students. But I don't know if the software likes lots of CPU threads, or if it's written for Cuda or OpenCL... These types of questions are making it hard to suggest anything. I wasn't sure if anyone here had used the software before.
What software is it? I've used Solidworks and Autocad on my home laptop. That was a core i7 with 16 gigs ram and a GTX950M. Ran okay, though I kept getting memory warnings if I left my browser open.

I'd really encourage your friend to look into workstations. They're bigger and uglier than gaming laptops, and obviously worse for gaming, but they handle the kind of calculations that CAD software wants much better. You get more hardware for your dollar, too. Especially RAM.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I just got my HP Omen 15, which is great, but I'd like to add 8Gb of RAM is possible. Is there some way to know if I have a free socket for it without opening it and most of all what kind of RAM I currently have exactly to buy something similar? IIRC I should only add RAM with the same frequency as what I already have, right?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
His college is providing the software, he needs something that can run it. Do have experience in the field?

Thanks.

Do you have a list of any of the software?
Are you in the USA?
Do you have a microcenter close?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thinking about getting the legion y740 15" with the rtx 2070 max q for $1680....that should future proof me for a while, right?
It's the best deal out right now imo. You might as well pay the extra $45 to get onsite repairs and accidental damage protection on top.

So I just got my HP Omen 15, which is great, but I'd like to add 8Gb of RAM is possible. Is there some way to know if I have a free socket for it without opening it and most of all what kind of RAM I currently have exactly to buy something similar? IIRC I should only add RAM with the same frequency as what I already have, right?
Download Speccy, and click on the RAM tab. It will tell you how many slots you have, how many are free, the RAM manufacturer, and the speeds.

Here is what mine looks like:

bVenmSO.jpg

You can also do CPU-Z, as it will tell you the exact slot numbers which are in use and free:

BYvClEC.jpg

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Get an i7-8750H and an Nvidia GPU and you are pretty much covered for all scenarios.

AMD is pretty much irrelevant in this discussion.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Do you have a list of any of the software?
Are you in the USA?
Do you have a microcenter close?
Unfortunately it's a no for the software, I asked her this morning and she forgot to ask him.

I am in the U. S.

Not particularly close to a microcenter

What software is it? I've used Solidworks and Autocad on my home laptop. That was a core i7 with 16 gigs ram and a GTX950M. Ran okay, though I kept getting memory warnings if I left my browser open.

I'd really encourage your friend to look into workstations. They're bigger and uglier than gaming laptops, and obviously worse for gaming, but they handle the kind of calculations that CAD software wants much better. You get more hardware for your dollar, too. Especially RAM.
I don't know what software he needs to use yet, my friend forgot to ask last night.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...2018-for-adobe-premiere-autocad-vray-and-more

I know this is for desktop GPUs. But it's giving me the impression that a 2070 laptop would outperform a p1000 laptop in most workloads.
They seem to be cheaper too.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it's a no for the software, I asked her this morning and she forgot to ask him.

I am in the U. S.

Not particularly close to a microcenter

I don't know what software he needs to use yet, my friend forgot to ask last night.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...2018-for-adobe-premiere-autocad-vray-and-more

I know this is for desktop GPUs. But it's giving me the impression that a 2070 laptop would outperform a p1000 laptop in most workloads.
They seem to be cheaper too.
For Autocad, yeah.

For 3D modeling, one cares more about certified drivers because of the stability.

Hence why we ask about the software.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using 17 inch laptops since 2006 as my primary computing devices

My work laptop is 14 inches and feels a bit small.

I notice that 17 inch laptops are usually a good 20-30% more pricey than the equivalent 15.6 inch laptops (probably due to volume), do you guys think that I should go with 15.6 for my next laptop?

RR30

Oct 22, 2018

I notice that 17 inch laptops are usually a good 20-30% more pricey than the equivalent 15.6 inch laptops (probably due to volume), do you guys think that I should go with 15.6 for my next laptop?

I used a regular 17 inch laptop for years and bought a 15.6 gaming laptop last year. I ended it returning because I was so used to the 17 inch screen. I don't think I can go back to a smaller screen personally. Ended up buying an OP 17+ a couple of months ago and love it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

I am in the same boat. I can't go back to anything less than 17" anymore.

I have both a 17.3" and 15.6" MSI laptops, and the smaller one is inadequate for my taste.