• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
The second video is something I've literally never seen before, it's like old TV channel static. Wild.

I'd like to test something. Downclock the core and memory of the GPU by maybe 150MHz each and lets see if it still hapens.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Edit- I think I have this figured out. Using afterburner, I underclocked the GPU (visible in the first part of the video) and ran the stress test. Seems that as the GPU approaches 65* it bites it. Note- I was able to run a successful stress test with it underclocked at -400MHz, but when running an extended test it eventually bit it as well.

Last edited:

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get a gaming laptop recommendation. I currently own Asus Rog G752VT and despite being a Tank, I love it just because it never heated up once. It stays cool through out hours of gaming (My previous Toshiba laptop and Hp before were a nightmare). Anyways, Ive had this for over 3 years now and I kinda want to buy a new gaming laptop that is VR compatible too. I'm thinking 2k is my max budget.

So far I'm eyeing this one:
ASUS ROG Strix Scar II Gaming Laptop, 17.3"144Hz IPS-Type Full HD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, Intel Core i7-8750

I care most about noise and heat output to be honest. What do you guys think ? Is there a better option for me ? Thanks

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Were the fans the main issue? There is software you can use to create fan profiles.
I wouldn't say there was one main issue, just one of several things that added up, plus just generally needing more money towards other household things rather than a gaming laptop.
I basically just impulse bought it due to the Memorial Day sale.

It was pretty heavy (would rarely ever be an issue, but I'd hate to ever carry it through the airport), the loud fans, and the graphics weren't quite what I was hoping they'd be (not bad, just a bit under my expectations), and the screen wasn't anything special.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys. I'm looking at the Razer Blade Stealth 13" at the moment, considering either the 'graphics' or 4k model:

I'm not much of a PC gamer but want to get something that'll be okay and looks aesthetically pleasing. Also relatively small. Hoping you guys can help with some questions:

- are the specs up to scratch for running the Dolphin emulator? I'd like to play some GC/Wii games.
- would running PC games from the PS360 generation be okay, say Dead Space?
- is the 4K model worth considering, would I notice it on a 13" screen and secondly, if not on the screen, would it be powerful enough to hook up to a 27" monitor and display in 4K?

Any and all advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Edit- I think I have this figured out. Using afterburner, I underclocked the GPU (visible in the first part of the video) and ran the stress test. Seems that as the GPU approaches 65* it bites it. Note- I was able to run a successful stress test with it underclocked at -400MHz, but when running an extended test it eventually bit it as well.

What are the exact specs of your R3? I'm going to reach out to some Alienware wizards I know and show them the videos you've posted.

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get a gaming laptop recommendation. I currently own Asus Rog G752VT and despite being a Tank, I love it just because it never heated up once. It stays cool through out hours of gaming (My previous Toshiba laptop and Hp before were a nightmare). Anyways, Ive had this for over 3 years now and I kinda want to buy a new gaming laptop that is VR compatible too. I'm thinking 2k is my max budget.

ASUS ROG Strix Scar II Gaming Laptop, 17.3"144Hz IPS-Type Full HD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, Intel Core i7-8750

I care most about noise and heat output to be honest. What do you guys think ? Is there a better option for me ? Thanks
G752VT.... 6700HQ and GTX 970M?

Damn I wish I could tell you to hold out until 2020.
Hi guys. I'm looking at the Razer Blade Stealth 13" at the moment, considering either the 'graphics' or 4k model:

I'm not much of a PC gamer but want to get something that'll be okay and looks aesthetically pleasing. Also relatively small. Hoping you guys can help with some questions:

- are the specs up to scratch for running the Dolphin emulator? I'd like to play some GC/Wii games.
- would running PC games from the PS360 generation be okay, say Dead Space?
- is the 4K model worth considering, would I notice it on a 13" screen and secondly, if not on the screen, would it be powerful enough to hook up to a 27" monitor and display in 4K?

Any and all advice would be most welcome. Thanks.
The MX150 is literally an overclocked desktop GT 1030, so look at benchmarks for that chip to gauge the graphics performance. The i7-8565U runs at 4.1Ghz on 4 cores so that should be sufficient assuming there is no throttling.

Unless you have a specific applicable reason to use the internal 4K display, you're really just hurting your battery life by hours, for little benefit in return. Hooking up to a monitor doesn't require power.

JoyFreak

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
UK
I own Hp Omen and my specs are as follows:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2496 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Memory: 32 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Gaming Forums

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The MX150 is literally an overclocked desktop GT 1030, so look at benchmarks for that chip to gauge the graphics performance. The i7-8565U runs at 4.1Ghz on 4 cores so that should be sufficient assuming there is no throttling.

Unless you have a specific applicable reason to use the internal 4K display, you're really just hurting your battery life by hours, for little benefit in return. Hooking up to a monitor doesn't require power.
Thanks, I'll google the gaming benchmarks, I'm assuming that's what you mean? On the point about the 4K model, do you mean it's only worth getting it if I play using an external display? Eg if I occasionally play on the built-in display, it's better to get the standard HD model?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I own Hp Omen and my specs are as follows:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2496 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Memory: 32 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Looking due for an upgrade next year.

Thanks, I'll google the gaming benchmarks, I'm assuming that's what you mean? On the point about the 4K model, do you mean it's only worth getting it if I play using an external display? Eg if I occasionally play on the built-in display, it's better to get the standard HD model?
I'm saying it's only worth getting the 4K if you have a reason to use it. Otherwise go 1080p and use your 4K external display.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
The second video is something I've literally never seen before, it's like old TV channel static. Wild.

I'd like to test something. Downclock the core and memory of the GPU by maybe 150MHz each and lets see if it still hapens.
What are the exact specs of your R3? I'm going to reach out to some Alienware wizards I know and show them the videos you've posted.

i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
16 GB DDR4 (8GB DDR4 2400MHz)x2
GeForce GTX 1070
Intel HD Graphics 630
SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 128 GB HD
Hitachi HGST 1TB HD

Bios version 1.7.0, SMBios version 3.0
All drivers up to date

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying it's only worth getting the 4K if you have a reason to use it. Otherwise go 1080p and use your 4K external display.
Those Razer laptops throttle a lot.
Thanks guys. I've been reading some reviews online, and the laptop itself and Razer as a company have had some pretty poor reviews. Their customer service doesn't seem to have the best rep either. As visually appealing as this laptop looks, I'm not sure I should buy it. If I did, I'd probably get it from Amazon or something for easy returns/replacements.

Any similar looking compact gaming laptops you guys can recommend?

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys. I've been reading some reviews online, and the laptop itself and Razer as a company have had some pretty poor reviews. Their customer service doesn't seem to have the best rep either. As visually appealing as this laptop looks, I'm not sure I should buy it. If I did, I'd probably get it from Amazon or something for easy returns/replacements.

Thats what i just bought from amazon. the newest model 2070 with 9th gen processor. warranty is for 4 years. not bad for $126. hope i like it!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

I'd say check the XPS 15. Dell at least has better customer service

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Thats what i just bought from amazon. the newest model 2070 with 9th gen processor. warranty is for 4 years. not bad for $126. hope i like it!
You've bought the 13" Razer? Please provide impressions when you get it. I'm not sure if the model you're referring to is available here in the UK.
I'd say check the XPS 15. Dell at least has better customer service
I'll happily consider a Dell, but I'm most keen on a smaller model, say 13". Is there one decent for gaming?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'll happily consider a Dell, but I'm most keen on a smaller model, say 13". Is there one decent for gaming?
Gaming laptops smaller than 15.6" don't really exist anymore. The MX150 is barely a gaming GPU. It is really hard to replace my Alienware 13 R3 with something of the same size.

Best you can get right now is like, a Lenovo Laptop ThinkPad E480 with a RX550, or a ASUS ZenBook UX434FL with a MX250 (and then it will most likely be the gimped 10W version)

The XPS15 has a 1050Ti right now, and a 1650Ti for the next revision, with a frame that is pretty much ~14".

If you want a 14" with a MX150, look at https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...ptop/spd/inspiron-14-5480-laptop/nnbuc4nt264s

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming laptops smaller than 15.6" don't really exist anymore. The MX150 is barely a gaming GPU. It is really hard to replace my Alienware 13 R3 with something of the same size.

Best you can get right now is like, a Lenovo Laptop ThinkPad E480 with a RX550, or a ASUS ZenBook UX434FL with a MX250 (and then it will most likely be the gimped 10W version)

The XPS15 has a 1050Ti right now, and a 1650Ti for the next revision, with a frame that is pretty much ~14".

If you want a 14" with a MX150, look at https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...ptop/spd/inspiron-14-5480-laptop/nnbuc4nt264s
Thanks. I've had a look at both the Lenovo and the Zenbook just now. I don't think we have the Zenbook model you've mentioned here in the UK, I found a model with the MX150. The Lenovo I'm not too keen on because I'm not a fan of trackpads on a laptop which aren't in the centre (this one leads on one side).

I may actually seriously consider the Dell XPS 15 you mentioned earlier. It looks pretty good. Is the GTX 1050Ti 4GB a good gaming cards for a laptop? I don't need the best ever, just keen on being able to run some games from last gen hopefuly some from this gen, alongside (hopefully) being able to run Dolphin so I can play some Wii/GC games. I'm looking at the (not 4K) 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM model.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I've had a look at both the Lenovo and the Zenbook just now. I don't think we have the Zenbook model you've mentioned here in the UK, I found a model with the MX150. The Lenovo I'm not too keen on because I'm not a fan of trackpads on a laptop which aren't in the centre (this one leads on one side).

I may actually seriously consider the Dell XPS 15 you mentioned earlier. It looks pretty good. Is the GTX 1050Ti 4GB a good gaming cards for a laptop? I don't need the best ever, just keen on being able to run some games from last gen hopefuly some from this gen, alongside (hopefully) being able to run Dolphin so I can play some Wii/GC games. I'm looking at the (not 4K) 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM model.
The 1050Ti is able to do last gen games at 1080p, but if you can wait, definitely get the one with the 1650.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll wait for some reviews.
its the razer 15" advanced model 2070 RTX, 240hz display new i7 9th gen CPU. should have it by tomorrow or Monday at the latest!

Thanks. There are a couple of reviews on the Amazon page you linked, which don't seem too great:
CPU Overheating issues. Yes there is an issue with the CPU hitting 100 degrees and throttling down because of that.
Is it a Razer only issue? NO, every slim gaming laptop is plagued by this as when you have a six core CPU running on 3.9Ghz, that thing will produce a massive amount of heat and the cooling system in slim laptops aren't good enough to mitigate this problem. If you don't like this, you have to buy a bigger laptop with bigger cooling.
For me, undervolting was a fine solution. Now it only creeps up to 80-85 degrees.
Of course if you're not going to do any CPU heavy tasks, or run games which use it extensively, then you're not going to experience this and you will be fine.

Apart from these, everything is still in working order. No issues with the battery, no manufacturing problems which could have popped up in a couple of weeks time.
Will something like this significantly affect gaming? I actually really like the look of this laptop. Also, is the graphics card better than the one in the upcoming Dell XPS15 referenced above?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks, I'll wait for some reviews.
Thanks. There are a couple of reviews on the Amazon page you linked, which don't seem too great:Will something like this significantly affect gaming? I actually really like the look of this laptop. Also, is the graphics card better than the one in the upcoming Dell XPS15 referenced above?
There isn't a single slim laptop, in which undervotling isn't mandatory for the 8750H/9750H. The CPUs are notoriously hot, but respond very well to votage reduction.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I was planning to get a new gaming laptop early next year, around the 5-year mark of my current one, but I've grown increasingly frustrated with sluggish performance (not just gaming; even Chrome is far less responsive than it should be) and I'm now considering getting one sometime in the next few months. Any recommendations, preferably under $1000?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to get a new gaming laptop early next year, around the 5-year mark of my current one, but I've grown increasingly frustrated with sluggish performance (not just gaming; even Chrome is far less responsive than it should be) and I'm now considering getting one sometime in the next few months. Any recommendations, preferably under $1000?
Dell G5 or G7

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
I waited on the new m15/17's from AW but the value just isn't there IMO and the earliest ship dates go into August now. Ridiculous.

So I went the full desktop replacement route got a refurbished Alienware 17 R5 for $1500 from the Dell Outlet instead.

(I'm crazy and my shoulders are going to hate me!)

• Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8750H Processor (6 Core, 2.20 GHz,9 MB, 45 W)
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • 1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
  • 512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 50 Solid State Drive
  • 16GB (2X8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
  • 17.3inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare GSYNC Display
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 OC with 8GB GDDR5
  • Black - LCD Cover

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What laptop could comfortably run planet coaster? I don't need it running flawlessly just something playable that isn't a pure slideshow. Links would be helpful and appreciated.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I waited on the new m15/17's from AW but the value just isn't there IMO and the earliest ship dates go into August now. Ridiculous.

So I went the full desktop replacement route got a refurbished Alienware 17 R5 for $1500 from the Dell Outlet instead.

(I'm crazy and my shoulders are going to hate me!)

• Intel Core 8th Generation i7-8750H Processor (6 Core, 2.20 GHz,9 MB, 45 W)
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • 1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
  • 512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 50 Solid State Drive
  • 16GB (2X8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
  • 17.3inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare GSYNC Display
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 OC with 8GB GDDR5
  • Black - LCD Cover
That seems like a decent deal - is there a Canadian version? What's the warranty like on the refurbished machines?

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018

Do you have a Microcenter close? You can get some specs but an 2070 for $500 cheaper.Powerspec 1720

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
hmm, I'm not familiar with this brand and I'm in Canada so I don't think there are microcenters here. Looking at some reviews, it seems like heat is an issue with this model.

LTWheels

Nov 8, 2017
Anyone know when this year's version of the Helios 300 is being released in the UK? Can't see it being sold anywhere.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a laptop but I'm struggling. I want a slim laptop with a good screen and RGB along with good enough specs that can ran all emulation (more specifically Wii, 3DS and Persona 5). As for other games, I would like it if they could run the following games:

Nier Automata
Nioh
Dark Souls 3
Sekiro (Essentially all from software titles)
Monster Hunter World

In other words, mostly Japanese developed games. As for settings, I am very comfortable with Medium or heck even low settings but I would also like 720p/1080p and 60fps if possible. I'm also hoping that it's not bulky and the fans aren't too loud when under load and when just casually browsing and watching.

I found some I like such as the Lenovo Ideapad 720S-15IKB with a GTX 1050 Ti Max Q but it seems they are no where to be found. Any other suggestions?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a laptop but I'm struggling. I want a slim laptop with a good screen and RGB along with good enough specs that can ran all emulation (more specifically Wii, 3DS and Persona 5). As for other games, I would like it if they could run the following games:

Nier Automata
Nioh
Dark Souls 3
Monster Hunter World

In other words, mostly Japanese developed games. As for settings, I am very comfortable with Medium or heck even low settings but I would also like 720p/1080p and 60fps if possible. I'm also hoping that it's not bulky and the fans aren't too loud when under load and when just casually browsing and watching.

I found some I like such as the Lenovo Ideapad 720S-15IKB with a GTX 1050 Ti Max Q but it seems they are no where to be found. Any other suggestions?
Have you considered the Dell XPS 15? I don't have it, but I was recommended it in this thread recently.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What laptop could comfortably run planet coaster? I don't need it running flawlessly just something playable that isn't a pure slideshow. Links would be helpful and appreciated.
The recommended specs would be a GTX 1060 so anything with a 1050 Ti would likely do fine.

Nier Automata
Nioh
Dark Souls 3
Monster Hunter World

Should we guess at your budget? That's a pretty important detail to omit.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Have you considered the Dell XPS 15? I don't have it, but I was recommended it in this thread recently.

Honestly speaking, I considered the Dell XPS 15 so many times but I hesitated due to many reported problems such as loud fans, gets too hot and throttles quite a lot. If it weren't for those issues, Dell XPS 15 would honestly be perfect due to how slim, good screen and decent specs along with good battery life.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
The recommended specs would be a GTX 1060 so anything with a 1050 Ti would likely do fine.

Should we guess at your budget? That's a pretty important detail to omit.

I'm willing to spend over £1k, I have been looking at other laptops such as Dell XPS 15 (GTX 1050 ti) and Razer Blade 15 (GTX 1060 Max-Q). I also looked at Surface Book 2 but that's way too expensive lol.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm willing to spend over £1k, I have been looking at other laptops such as Dell XPS 15 (GTX 1050 ti) and Razer Blade 15 (GTX 1060 Max-Q). I also looked at Surface Book 2 but that's way too expensive lol.
What do you think of this MSI GP63? Specs are pretty crazy, and the cooling is good. The 120Hz screen I've seen, it's beautiful.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are these for gaming laptops? Amazon is offering 5 monthly payments on it (for me).
I actually just want a laptop for music production and video editing, but once in a while I might just want to boot up Steam or buy a modern game and play on it.

Dell G7 Gaming Laptop

Dell XPS9570-5632SLV-PUS 15.6

Microsoft Surface Laptop 2

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Lenovo y540 last week, so far so good

9th gen 6 core i7
RTX 2060
16GB RAM
17 inch 1080p
256GB SSD
1TB HDD

This thing is an absolute beast for the price I got it for

Slightly concerned about the heat but I guess that's to be expected

Last edited:
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a fairly good deal for a decent 60 FPS gaming laptop:

has ASUS 15.6" TUF Gaming Laptop (FX505DU-MB53) on sale for $799.99. Select in-store pickup where available, otherwise shipping starts at $19.85. Thanks Vishal1960

Note, in-store availability may vary.

Specs
  • AMD Ryzen 5-3550H 2.1GHz Processor
  • 15.6" 1920x1080 HD Anti-glare IPS LCD Display
  • 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory
  • 512GB NVMe Solid State Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6GB GDDR6 Graphics
  • 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 3-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
  • Windows 10 Home

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Dell actually refunded me the whole amount I payed for my laptop, didn't have to pay a 15% restocking fee or anything to my knowledge.

Surprisingly generous of them.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Right now Best Buy has the Asus G531GT for $800 it has an i7-9750H and GTX 1650 I had one for a week and it was great Doom Vulkan on ultra was 70-80 FPS, Gears 4 ran great too. Or look at one of the Asus Tufs and Also there is a G3 at Best Buy for 1080 that has the i5 9300h and 1660ti

Edit: The CPU in that Tuf at micro center should run cooler than any intel cpu.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Right now Best Buy has the Asus G531GT for $800 it has an i7-9750H and GTX 1650 I had one for a week and it was great Doom Vulkan on ultra was 70-80 FPS, Gears 4 ran great too. Or look at one of the Asus Tufs and Also there is a G3 at Best Buy for 1080 that has the i5 9300h and 1660ti

the FX505DU linked above sounds great on paper, but I've heard the CPU is slow and I'm worried about it being a bottleneck. should I be?

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
the FX505DU linked above sounds great on paper, but I've heard the CPU is slow and I'm worried about it being a bottleneck. should I be?
So the 3750H is supposed to be on par with an i5 9300H which for gaming should be perfectly fine not sure how long term it would be but the issues they were saying the laptops that are paired with the 3750 and 1660ti is the cpu bottle neck and what you may see is that lowering settings does not necessarily increase performance. I'm not sure how the 3550H compares but that price is nice!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What was wrong with it?
Nothing wrong exactly, I just got it for a good price on the Memorial Day sale, but really didn't NEED a laptop.

I wanted it to basically replace my desktop since I don't use it that much anymore, but it didn't run games nearly as well, the fans were super loud, and the screen wasn't the best quality (it was 144hz, but didn't seem as impressive as I'd hoped).

For my price range $1000-1250 a 1660ti is about the best I could hope for, but it just wasn't what I was hoping for (wanted something comparable to my desktop 1070).
Ill probably need to pay double that to get the performance and quality I'd want, and at that point I'm not sure it's worth it for me, at least at the moment.