• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I am looking at this Acer Predator laptop.
But thinking if it's worth paying extra for the 2060 over the 1660TI. It will only be my second gaming machine and don't really need raytracing. Any other benefits the 2060 might bring? Better or worse temps?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm from Germany

I never shopped for a Laptop so my knowledge is limited. I would have shopped at notebooksbilliger.de or amazon.de or mediamarkt.de or saturn.de or at eBay.de

Appreciate your help :)
So I am taking a look and see a lot of options. What is your absolute budget?

Gadzooks, was in the middle of a game and my video cut out. Restarted my laptop and now my GPU is no longer detected by the system. Tried reinstalling the drivers and doing a system restore but neither worked. I can see the 1060 in device manager, but only if I enable "view hidden" and under properties it says the hardware is not connected. Any advice? I'm currently backing up my files in prep for a BIOS flash.
Still ongoing? What laptops is this?

Hi!

I need some advice on buying a new laptop. I'l be switching from a Macbook 17" laptop and I'll switch to windows/linux.
I'm looking for a gaming laptop with:
  1. At least 8750h and RTX 2060 and preferably no thermal throttling,
  2. Ease of upgradeability and replacement (i.e. RAM will be upgraded to 32gb, battery may need to be replaced, place for a 2,5" SATA SSD or additional M.2)
  3. Slim form factor: 15,6" ( I know kinds goes against no thermal throttling, but at least as minimal possible)
  4. Brand reliability (maybe personal anecdotes of how laptop of brand X has been for you)
  5. Product Support (Bios updates, driver support, compatibility with Linux).
I have already done my research on what laptops are of interest for me:
  • Asus Zephyrus Series
    • GX502GW: RTX 2070 ($2399)
    • SCAR III: 9750h, RTX 2070 ($2299)
    • GX531: RTX 2070 ($1999 - sale), but the shifted keyboard is kinda awkward.
  • Gigabyte AERO 15 XA-7US2130SH ($2299)
  • HP 15t ?
Most of the laptops I listed are with a 9750h and upon first glance not a Max-Q gpu, but I've read that there's barely any difference in performance: https://www.notebookcheck.net/That-...tperform-a-Core-i7-9750H-laptop.421361.0.html

Which is why I'm conflicted or confused which laptop I should choose. Moreover, how has the laptop brand you've used now been?
Did you ever receive support and how did that experience go.
Also, as undervolting helped in your experience with thermals and is it possible to only use integrated gpu to preserve battery life?

The laptop will be used for gaming as it's my first gaming pc ,but I'm also a university graduate student (I spent most of the time in school or at my desk at home, therefore a desktop pc is really not preferred): I'll be using it for computational modeling ( I need NVIDIA: first time learning cuda).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)
Undervolting is pretty much mandatory to get the best out of the 9750H and 8750H, might as well get that out of the way first.

Of the laptops on your list the SCAR has the best cooling solution.

I have personally been within the MSI ecosystem for the last 7 years. Their machines consistently have the best or 2nd best cooling and build quality. I exclusively buy 17" machines for the record. Their 15.6" SCAR competitor would be the MSI GE65.

Yeah the 8750H and 9750H don't having sweeping differences between the two. I mean the max 6 core boosts of the two are 3.9Ghz and 4.0Ghz, respectively.

I am looking at this Acer Predator laptop.
But thinking if it's worth paying extra for the 2060 over the 1660TI. It will only be my second gaming machine and don't really need raytracing. Any other benefits the 2060 might bring? Better or worse temps?

It's only a question of if you want the extra power.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It's an MSI GE62VR from 2017. GPU still MIA. I'm going to have to crack it open.
Have you tried an OS reinstall?

Notebooksbilliger.de has a sale going starting today. I think its my best bet for a good deal right now.

My absolute limit would be 1000€

How is this one?

It is 799€ regular price and has a deal for -15% for the Weekend, so 680€ right now...
The 560x is about the absolute lowest you can go. I personally would spend extra for something far more powerful, to make sure you get some longevity out of the machine with the next generation right at the horizon. The mobile GTX 1650 is ~45% faster than the GTX 1050 and 560x.

I would consider buying this version of the same laptop, if you can afford the coin.

Any experience with Triton vs. Helios? Triton is the slim series I guess but always concerned about temps and noise.
No personal use.

Thinner laptops are almost always warmer, but I'd just watch a bunch of reviews on each.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

A 1070 for $1080

• 17.3" 1920x1080 FHD 144 Hz G-Sync WLED-backlit Anti-Glare IPS Display
    [*]i7-8750H 6 Core 2.2 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo) Processor
    [*]16GB DDR4L 2666MHz Memory
    [*]1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive; 16GB PCIe NVMe Intel Optane
    [*]Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Graphics
    [*]HP 720P WebCam
    [*]Backlit Keyboard
    [*]B&O dual speakers, HP Audio Boost, DTS Headphone:X™ support
    [*]Dual Band 802.11ac (2x2) + Bluetooth 4.2 + Gigabit Ethernet
    [*]Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    [*]Ports:
    • 3x USB 3.0
    • 1x USB 3.1 Type-C GEN 2 /w Thunderbolt 3 40 Gbps
    • 1x HDMI 2.0
    • 1x Mini DisplayPort
    • 1x SDXC Card Slot
    • 1x Audio Combo Jack
    [*]8-cell 86 WHr Lithium-ion Battery
    [*]8.33 lbs
    [*]

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good guide for undervolting? I heard my laptop is a good candidate for it but I have no idea what to look for and how to test if it works right

Lenovo y540 with an i7 and rtx 2060

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
A few questions:

1) I know there's some performance penalty for going laptop over desktop, how hard is RTX's RT cores affected by the change in power draw and thermals? Has this been tested/measured yet? I know RTX is kind of the bleeding edge and so performance isn't all there yet but wondering if it's worth the extra scratch to opt for RTX laptop over a GTX 1660Ti.

2) Razer Blades. I've personally owned 7 different Razer peripherals and only one of them malfunctioned on me, and I tend to be a bit forgetful of that incident because I was actually shopping for a replacement before it even broke down so I essentially already had budgeted and researched something to buy to replace it with, so it malfunctioning just kinda felt like a tiny one-day blip rather than a sudden burden I needed to compensate for. I like the aesthetic design, the keyboard feel, the quality of the monitor and the specs on the Razer Blade line, but they are COSTLY so I'm wondering if they tend to have malfunction issues like the Razer brand SEEMS to have some notoriety for.

3) I previously owned an MSI GS65 and it was a solid performer, but its thermal system was way too loud under load, I personally didn't enjoy its keys much, and its downfiring speakers were awful especially when paired with the pretty intense fan noise it put out. I know you have to expect some fan noise with these thin-and-light chassis but I often felt compared to my two friends with gaming laptops that the GS65 I had truly had subpar system noise and speaker performance. How's the Razer Blade line stack up in comparison, if anyone knows? I have gone hands on with a Razer Blade at my local Best Buy so I do know the speaker quality is immensely better than my experience with the GS65, but they don't have anything installed on it that really taxes the system so I had no chance to hear what load fan noise is like.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
A few questions:

1) I know there's some performance penalty for going laptop over desktop, how hard is RTX's RT cores affected by the change in power draw and thermals? Has this been tested/measured yet? I know RTX is kind of the bleeding edge and so performance isn't all there yet but wondering if it's worth the extra scratch to opt for RTX laptop over a GTX 1660Ti.

2) Razer Blades. I've personally owned 7 different Razer peripherals and only one of them malfunctioned on me, and I tend to be a bit forgetful of that incident because I was actually shopping for a replacement before it even broke down so I essentially already had budgeted and researched something to buy to replace it with, so it malfunctioning just kinda felt like a tiny one-day blip rather than a sudden burden I needed to compensate for. I like the aesthetic design, the keyboard feel, the quality of the monitor and the specs on the Razer Blade line, but they are COSTLY so I'm wondering if they tend to have malfunction issues like the Razer brand SEEMS to have some notoriety for.

3) I previously owned an MSI GS65 and it was a solid performer, but its thermal system was way too loud under load, I personally didn't enjoy its keys much, and its downfiring speakers were awful especially when paired with the pretty intense fan noise it put out. I know you have to expect some fan noise with these thin-and-light chassis but I often felt compared to my two friends with gaming laptops that the GS65 I had truly had subpar system noise and speaker performance. How's the Razer Blade line stack up in comparison, if anyone knows? I have gone hands on with a Razer Blade at my local Best Buy so I do know the speaker quality is immensely better than my experience with the GS65, but they don't have anything installed on it that really taxes the system so I had no chance to hear what load fan noise is like.
1 - I have seen no evidence of the RT cores being effective by the power draw of the mobile cards. I would not even be considering RTX unless you are looking at the 2070 anyway.

2 - The biggest issue with Razer is the horror stories I read about dealing with their support when/if an issue does happen when their laptop. You can web search and find many. I don't know that they are anything but well designed machines though. You just have to hope you aren't the unlucky person who has a problem.

3 - Well the Notebookcheck review for the new model says it's quieter than both last years Razer Blade and the MSI GS65, while gaming.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
0 throttling, but I had to balance the heatsink with new thermal pads.

14 R4 with 7820HK and 1080 stay at around 70s and 60s deg C respectively. Could even OC the CPU up to 4Ghz.

13 R3 1060/7700HQ, GPU stays at max turbo with 80 deg C, CPU is around 70s.

Toasty, but 0 throttling.

I have a 1060 6Gb and an i7-8750h in my laptop. Typically in high end games it will go to the 80-85c territory for the CPU, with the GPU usually trailing 5-10c behind. You said in an earlier post it might be better to apply a thicker paste like MX-4 over Kyronaut. Do you think MX-4 or Kyronaut is better for my situation? The CPU is always hotter than the GPU.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Got my Helio 300 (16GB, RTX 2600 option). It only cost me 100 more than the 1660TI/8GB - I hope it was worth it :)
I spent now a little more on my "second gaming pc for second household" than planned so hopefully it will be worthwhile.

Will post impression as soon as I had enough hands-on time.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1060 6Gb and an i7-8750h in my laptop. Typically in high end games it will go to the 80-85c territory for the CPU, with the GPU usually trailing 5-10c behind. You said in an earlier post it might be better to apply a thicker paste like MX-4 over Kyronaut. Do you think MX-4 or Kyronaut is better for my situation? The CPU is always hotter than the GPU.
Depends on the heatsink. Try Kryonaut first.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I have a stupid question- I have the OP17+ and it has 4 different outputs I believe (HDMI, 2 mini display, USB 3.0). I want to connect one to my 55' TV I just mounted to occasionally use it as a monitor for either gaming or other things. Is a plain HDMI cable going to the TV better than a mini display to HDMI adapter or does it not matter? I'm using the HDMI slot for a regular external monitor now but can switch it if I have to.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I have a stupid question- I have the OP17+ and it has 4 different outputs I believe (HDMI, 2 mini display, USB 3.0). I want to connect one to my 55' TV I just mounted to occasionally use it as a monitor for either gaming or other things. Is a plain HDMI cable going to the TV better than a mini display to HDMI adapter or does it not matter? I'm using the HDMI slot for a regular external monitor now but can switch it if I have to.
Doesn't matter.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
1 - I have seen no evidence of the RT cores being effective by the power draw of the mobile cards. I would not even be considering RTX unless you are looking at the 2070 anyway.

2 - The biggest issue with Razer is the horror stories I read about dealing with their support when/if an issue does happen when their laptop. You can web search and find many. I don't know that they are anything but well designed machines though. You just have to hope you aren't the unlucky person who has a problem.

3 - Well the Notebookcheck review for the new model says it's quieter than both last years Razer Blade and the MSI GS65, while gaming.

Thanks for the responses!

Quick follow-up to question 2, I think I'll just opt for a retailer replacement plan if Razer directly will be difficult to deal with. I plan to purchase through Best Buy if I purchase at all and they sell the config of the Razer Blade 15 that I'm interested in (RTX 2070, 240Hz 1080p monitor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD).

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks for the responses!

Quick follow-up to question 2, I think I'll just opt for a retailer replacement plan if Razer directly will be difficult to deal with. I plan to purchase through Best Buy if I purchase at all and they sell the config of the Razer Blade 15 that I'm interested in (RTX 2070, 240Hz 1080p monitor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD).
That is something I've seen people recommend, in lieu of buying RazerCare.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Some quick Helios 300 impression.

Build quality is very good, it feels nice and sturdy. Maybe a bit on the heavy side but that's okay. Keyboard is nice, feels good.
Sadly I have screen glow from the top below the webcam but I am not sure it even is IPS glow, because if I just press there slightly it will go away. No idea if I will ask for a replacement because of this, let's see.

Obviously the performance is very good, no complains so far there.

Now I am not happy with the fans, they seem to be on constantly (not fully but you can hear them), even unplugged and when the laptop is cooled down. It's mainly the GPU fan and I have not found a way to tune them down a bit more. Seem weird that it's on because the nVidia GPU is in idle.

edit: there are some guides for undervolting, obiously where I have to spend some time.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Some quick Helios 300 impression.

Build quality is very good, it feels nice and sturdy. Maybe a bit on the heavy side but that's okay. Keyboard is nice, feels good.
Sadly I have screen glow from the top below the webcam but I am not sure it even is IPS glow, because if I just press there slightly it will go away. No idea if I will ask for a replacement because of this, let's see.

Obviously the performance is very good, no complains so far there.

Now I am not happy with the fans, they seem to be on constantly (not fully but you can hear them), even unplugged and when the laptop is cooled down. It's mainly the GPU fan and I have not found a way to tune them down a bit more. Seem weird that it's on because the nVidia GPU is in idle.

edit: there are some guides for undervolting, obiously where I have to spend some time.
There should be some form of custom fan control in the Acer PredatorSense software.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Seems like the minimum speed is always a bit too high and you can only set it to a minimum of 2500rpm. But I think it's actually the iGPU cooling and not the nvidia one.
Hmm, I'm surprised the minimum is so high. If I set my GT73 to minimum the CPU is around 1170 and the GPU is around 1150, making them literally dead silent.

I am curious as to whether this RPM minimum is hardwired, or a limitation of Acer's software.

You could try a software like the popular SpeedFan or maybe even MSI Afterburner, to see if the controls there allow for tighter control over the speeds.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I used Afterburner to undervolt the GPU but fan control is unavailable. Throttlestop is also in effect so the Laptop so temps are at their best. On their forums I read it seems this is a hardware limitation and would need an update or something. Not sure this will happen anytime soon I guess.

I am okay with fans going up when I do something more demanding, but clear audible fans while browsing the internet is a nogo to me. Hmm thinking of taking it back despite me liking everything else about it.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Hi guys! Anyone have any thoughts about the Lenovo Legion series? This is the laptop I'm considering—

Lenovo Legion Y540 9th Gen Core Intel i5 9300H, 15.6 inch FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB RAM/ 1TB HDD + 256 GB SSD / Windows 10 Home / 6GB NVIDIA GTX 1660 TI Graphics / Black / 2.3 Kg)

Of course I'll have to upgrade the ram, but I have no idea if Lenovo builds good gaming laptops. I don't care about RTX, and mostly wish for 1080p60 performance at high or ultra in most games. What do you think?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hi guys! Anyone have any thoughts about the Lenovo Legion series? This is the laptop I'm considering—

Lenovo Legion Y540 9th Gen Core Intel i5 9300H, 15.6 inch FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB RAM/ 1TB HDD + 256 GB SSD / Windows 10 Home / 6GB NVIDIA GTX 1660 TI Graphics / Black / 2.3 Kg)

Of course I'll have to upgrade the ram, but I have no idea if Lenovo builds good gaming laptops. I don't care about RTX, and mostly wish for 1080p60 performance at high or ultra in most games. What do you think?
The laptop is good.

I think you need a 6-core Intel CPU.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey friends,

I am looking to buy a gaming laptop. I'm willing to pay up to around 1,500$CA. I have never bought a gaming laptop before, so I am in need of assistance. I looked at The Wirecutter's Best Gaming Laptop article, which suggests getting the Asus ROG GL504GS-DS74, but it doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I then looked at Asus's webpage for their gaming laptops, but it's hard to tell which one would be the better bang-for-the-buck item. Some of them seem to have a thousand different configurations sold by retailers too, to make matters even more confusing.

What you need to know is that I do not intend on playing the latest AAA games on the highest performance settings. Most of the games I will play are older games I have on GOG. That said, I do intend on playing some AAA games, such as The Witcher 3, and the upcoming Cyberpunk and Vampire The Masquarade. However, it's not necessary for me to be able to run the games at their highest setting. As long as they look as good as, or better than, their PS4 versions, at a steady framerate, I'll be good.

So keeping in mind what I am willing to pay, and also that I need a laptop with an audio-video out port so I can game on my TV sitting on my couch with a controller in hand (I won't buy a laptop that does not allow me to easily hook it up to my TV), what's the best option for me?

Thanks

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
My MSi GT62VR 6RE's GTX 1070 8GB is biting the dust and I can only find very expensive second hand replacements with no warranty on sites like eBay.

I'm trying to get MSi Spain to give me an approximate price for the repair before sending the unit in, but I expect they will either insist I send the unit in for diagnostics before they will give me a number, or for it to be too expensive anyway.

How are current RTX laptops? (specifically 2070). Coming off a 1070 and with both next gen consoles and new process node nVidia in the horizon I can't help but think it's a horrible time to invest in a new machine. I've also heard about the i7 8750h thermal throttling in laptops like the MSi 15.6inch Raider with the RTX 2070.

What do you think? Should I pull the trigger and get a new laptop?

Also, does anyone know of any shop that offers extended warranty in Spain? I want to have any new purchase insured for at least 3 years. I see Asus and HP (but sadly not MSi as far as I can tell) offer extended warranty for laptops, even for those bought in third party stores. Anyone have any experience with that?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey friends,

I am looking to buy a gaming laptop. I'm willing to pay up to around 1,500$CA. I have never bought a gaming laptop before, so I am in need of assistance. I looked at The Wirecutter's Best Gaming Laptop article, which suggests getting the Asus ROG GL504GS-DS74, but it doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I then looked at Asus's webpage for their gaming laptops, but it's hard to tell which one would be the better bang-for-the-buck item. Some of them seem to have a thousand different configurations sold by retailers too, to make matters even more confusing.

What you need to know is that I do not intend on playing the latest AAA games on the highest performance settings. Most of the games I will play are older games I have on GOG. That said, I do intend on playing some AAA games, such as The Witcher 3, and the upcoming Cyberpunk and Vampire The Masquarade. However, it's not necessary for me to be able to run the games at their highest setting. As long as they look as good as, or better than, their PS4 versions, at a steady framerate, I'll be good.

So keeping in mind what I am willing to pay, and also that I need a laptop with an audio-video out port so I can game on my TV sitting on my couch with a controller in hand (I won't buy a laptop that does not allow me to easily hook it up to my TV), what's the best option for me?

Thanks
I filtered Newegg.ca by what I considered to be relevant, and came back with these results.

My MSi GT62VR 6RE's GTX 1070 8GB is biting the dust and I can only find very expensive second hand replacements with no warranty on sites like eBay.

I'm trying to get MSi Spain to give me an approximate price for the repair before sending the unit in, but I expect they will either insist I send the unit in for diagnostics before they will give me a number, or for it to be too expensive anyway.

How are current RTX laptops? (specifically 2070). Coming off a 1070 and with both next gen consoles and new process node nVidia in the horizon I can't help but think it's a horrible time to invest in a new machine. I've also heard about the i7 8750h thermal throttling in laptops like the MSi 15.6inch Raider with the RTX 2070.

What do you think? Should I pull the trigger and get a new laptop?

Also, does anyone know of any shop that offers extended warranty in Spain? I want to have any new purchase insured for at least 3 years. I see Asus and HP (but sadly not MSi as far as I can tell) offer extended warranty for laptops, even for those bought in third party stores. Anyone have any experience with that?
As a person with an MSI GT73VR w/ a GTX1070, I too have surveyed that the RTX 20 series laptop are a poor stepping stone, and that waiting for 7nm Ampere machines is the smartest move with the next-gen consoles looming in 2020.

So what exactly is wrong with your GT62?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
So what exactly is wrong with your GT62?
Pink colors when using HDR (on the TV) in some games. Several games like Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4 crashing with what Windows Event Viewer reports as the nvidia driver freezing. FFXIV randomly flashing a randomly colored screen before restarting the computer. And yesterday I noticed it flashed some pink artifacts on my TV when I put it to sleep.

Most games seem to run fine without crashing (they do stutter however, not sure what's up with that) but my engineer senses are tingling, GPU is most likely on its last legs.

Reinstalling drivers with a DDU clean, flashing the newest vBios provided by MSi support or completely reformatting the PC didn't solve the issue, and it's not a recent issue either. Been creeping up for a few months, across several different driver versions.

A replacement 1070 costs an arm and a leg in MXM format and only from second hand sites, no warranty. So fuck that, and fuck me too.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Aren't most games unable to use 6 cores though? Or has that changed?
That hasn't been true for years. Games want cores and frequencies these days.

It is especially not going to be true when the PS5/Next Box drop with 8 high powered Zen 2 cores.

Your budget is your budget, but if an i7-8750H or 9750H works out financially, I highly recommend that you get one.

Pink colors when using HDR (on the TV) in some games. Several games like Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4 crashing with what Windows Event Viewer reports as the nvidia driver freezing. FFXIV randomly flashing a randomly colored screen before restarting the computer. And yesterday I noticed it flashed some pink artifacts on my TV when I put it to sleep.

Most games seem to run fine without crashing (they do stutter however, not sure what's up with that) but my engineer senses are tingling, GPU is most likely on its last legs.

Reinstalling drivers with a DDU clean, flashing the newest vBios provided by MSi support or completely reformatting the PC didn't solve the issue, and it's not a recent issue either. Been creeping up for a few months, across several different driver versions.

A replacement 1070 costs an arm and a leg in MXM format and only from second hand sites, no warranty. So fuck that, and fuck me too.
Artifacts and colors can mean many things, but I know it to be a VRAM related. You can try downclocking the memory to see if it stops.

You are definitely in an unenviable position. MXM GPUs have always been massively priced.
Thanks! I was actually just browsing the net for laptops when I came across this MSI laptop on newegg, for 1,699$ (on sale from 2,399$). Do you think paying extra for this one, over the others you linked, would be worth it?

edit: it appears that I should go with a 1660Ti and not a 1060. In this case, would this laptop be a good choice?

I watched YT reviews for the Asus and it seems to be well liked.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know the best gaming laptop to get the wee man from the U.K. catalogue site 'Very'?

He wants to play League, Overwatch, WoW and Fortnite at 1080/60. Under £700 would be great.

Many thanks.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Anyone know the best gaming laptop to get the wee man from the U.K. catalogue site 'Very'?

He wants to play League, Overwatch, WoW and Fortnite at 1080/60. Under £700 would be great.

Many thanks.
Strictly below £700, the only option on site is this HP Pavilion 15 at £599.99 shipped, with £50 off if you do the buy now, pay later promotion. It's an i5-8250U (U means Ultra-Low Voltage quad core), GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5, and a 1TB HDD.

If you want better specs, the next option is the Dell G3. Here we have a fully powered i5-8300H, GTX 1050 with 4GB VRAM, and a 256GB SSD. This one is slightly over budget at £729.99, but $100 off with the buy now pay later promo code.

Those are the two choices. everything else is more expensive or under-specced.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for a gaming laptop to play current stuff and Skyrim with a bunch of mods. I have $1500 USD to spend but getting something slightly under budget would be cool. I've never had one before. Are there any big deals going right now that I should look out for?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm looking for a gaming laptop to play current stuff and Skyrim with a bunch of mods. I have $1500 USD to spend but getting something slightly under budget would be cool. I've never had one before. Are there any big deals going right now that I should look out for?
What are your plans for the future? Do you want power to stay viable in the next console generation?

Also are you in the US?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I looked more into this Predator Helios 300 fan stuff and it seems everyone on the acer community is unhappy about it. The thinner Triton 500 series can tune down the fans to 0 - the Helios are at 2500rpm minimum. That seems werid.

So I can wait for them to fix it (if they do), or just return it... :-/ I hate to return expensive electronics but sometimes that's what you have to do I guess if I am unsatisfied.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strictly below £700, the only option on site is this HP Pavilion 15 at £599.99 shipped, with £50 off if you do the buy now, pay later promotion. It's an i5-8250U (U means Ultra-Low Voltage quad core), GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5, and a 1TB HDD.

If you want better specs, the next option is the Dell G3. Here we have a fully powered i5-8300H, GTX 1050 with 4GB VRAM, and a 256GB SSD. This one is slightly over budget at £729.99, but $100 off with the buy now pay later promo code.

Those are the two choices. everything else is more expensive or under-specced.

Thank you very much for taking the time to have a look for me. I think I'll go for the second one!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Will return my Helios 300, it's just so damn loud all the time. I tried everything. I am wondering why not a single review mentioned this.
Not sure if I should try Nitro or look at other manufactors. HP Omen's seem to be good? But man, not trusting any youtube reviews anymore...

Retro!

Oct 25, 2017

Same boat. US and budget wise.

Games I'm looking to play are stuff like League and Dota and Fighting Games. Maybe stuff like Siege and APEX

Amazon is preferred retail for credit line i have but if there's better deals on other sites I'm cool with buying there

What are your plans for the future? Do you want power to stay viable in the next console generation?

For me the only next gen that matters is the new guilty gear, but that's still a PS4 title so lol

So for me it's not that important. I'd rather come down in price point ever being nextgen proof.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I have the 17 inch, RTX 2060 version and so far so good

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

Also are you in the US?
Which laptop cpu do you think would be good to keep up with next gen? I feel like that's gonna be the hardest part since the consoles are finally gonna have modern CPUs.

I want to get a new laptop soon. But can't figure that out

Oct 25, 2017
So I am taking a look and see a lot of options. What is your absolute budget?

Still ongoing? What laptops is this?

Undervolting is pretty much mandatory to get the best out of the 9750H and 8750H, might as well get that out of the way first.

Of the laptops on your list the SCAR has the best cooling solution.

I have personally been within the MSI ecosystem for the last 7 years. Their machines consistently have the best or 2nd best cooling and build quality. I exclusively buy 17" machines for the record. Their 15.6" SCAR competitor would be the MSI GE65.

Yeah the 8750H and 9750H don't having sweeping differences between the two. I mean the max 6 core boosts of the two are 3.9Ghz and 4.0Ghz, respectively.

It's only a question of if you want the extra power.

So I've been reading about undervolting the 9750h and seems like -.125 to -.150 is a good range to start?

Update - Used throttlestop to undervolt the CPU core and cache to -155 and ran a stress test, temperature hovered at 88-90 degrees Celsius and 4ghz........does that sound right? (that's with laptop in performance mode with fans on high, if I set it to quiet then I hover around 63 degrees and 3ghz)

Last edited: