• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Which do u guys think would be better if they're basically the same price? a Alienware Area 51m with a i7 8700 and 2070 or a thinner laptop (Zephryus or Razer Blade) with a 2080 max-q and i7 8750h ?

I can't decide. So Im gonna ask for some help with this one
I'd get something in between.

A 17" laptop with a 9750h/2070 will be less of a hassle than the giant one with 2 power bricks, you get 2" extra screen, and the slightly larger chassis should help a lot with thermals.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
After lugging around an Alienware 17 R4 in the official roller bag for several months from home to hotels and back by plane, I bought a 13 R3 and carry that now.

If you are gonna take planes, do know that there are very few bags that can take the 51m. And unless you get an Everki Titan backpack or the Titan roller luggage bag, you'll dread moving it.
Oh yeah , I didn't even think about the bag. I used to have a 15 r3 and it could barely fit any of my bags. If the 51m is much bigger than that it'll get pretty annoying.
I'd get something in between.

A 17" laptop with a 9750h/2070 will be less of a hassle than the giant one with 2 power bricks, you get 2" extra screen, and the slightly larger chassis should help a lot with thermals.
That might be a good plan too. I have to see what I can find.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I have gotten my HP Pavillon Gaming 15 with the 1650 and I am pretty happy with the purchase! I upgraded the ram to get dual channel working with 16GB.
I am really surprised how quiet this thing is compared to the Helios 300. Performance is quite good, kinda what you expect with this machine I guess. I can play Sekiro/Yakuza/Warframe/Overwatch with fluid 60fps if I turn down some high impacting settings.

The 60hz screen is a stark contrast when you are used to a 27" desktop machine and 144hz with a 1080TI. It's also a tad too dark, but that's about the only real complaint I have so far. Very solid budget machine, so far I would recommend it.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
My Aero 15 OLED has arrived.

Beautiful machine but I'm gonna need to tweak a few things. Fan noise is all over the place, especially on startup before the gigabyte control center presets kick in, they'll just continually blast at full speed and that shit is downright obnoxious.

Also I'm at 40-50% RAM usage while idling, it started as soon as Windows was installed so none of my stuff is causing it.

I wish those things were a little more user-friendly out of the box considering the price tbh

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
hxXn23o.png

Just picked up an Asus ROG Zephyrus M GU502 last week. It's fantastic, and I'm glad I waited for this year's model. I was extremely tempted to buy last year's model (with a GTX 1070) but the cooling system with the flap that lifts up bothered me too much.

This year's model has a 1660Ti in it, and no flap. It's thin, fast, sleek, and a very well-rounded machine. Super happy with it so far. I've been playing Forza Horizon 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, ReCore, and Crysis 2 at near-Max settings. (Turned off motion blur and DOF and other stuff that I don't enjoy)

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm ready to get a new laptop. Here's the specs I'm looking for:

RTX 2070
120/144 hz screen (1080p)
17 inch screen ideally. Could maybe go 15 inch if it drops the price.
Either 512gb SSD or 256gb SSD and 1TB hard drive (preferably the latter)
Battery life doesn't matter (will be plugged in at basically all times)
Weight mostly doesn't matter (I'll bring it with me occasionally on trips but no more than 2-3 times a year).
My max budget is around $1,700 but the closer to $1,500 the better. I'm in the US btw.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What is eveyone's opinion about this deal https://www.webhallen.com/se/produc...GB-1TB-512GB-SSD-M-2-RTX-2070-Win?pass=asus15 ? It's around 1800 euros, I am very tempted to bite it. How long until we see the next generation of cpu from intel on laptops?
2020 for the 6 and 8 core 45W stuff maybe?

hxXn23o.png

Just picked up an Asus ROG Zephyrus M GU502 last week. It's fantastic, and I'm glad I waited for this year's model. I was extremely tempted to buy last year's model (with a GTX 1070) but the cooling system with the flap that lifts up bothered me too much.

This year's model has a 1660Ti in it, and no flap. It's thin, fast, sleek, and a very well-rounded machine. Super happy with it so far. I've been playing Forza Horizon 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, ReCore, and Crysis 2 at near-Max settings. (Turned off motion blur and DOF and other stuff that I don't enjoy)
Very nice looking machine. Too bad they dropped manually switchable graphics and G-Sync between the generations.

Think I'm ready to get a new laptop. Here's the specs I'm looking for:

RTX 2070
120/144 hz screen (1080p)
17 inch screen ideally. Could maybe go 15 inch if it drops the price.
Either 512gb SSD or 256gb SSD and 1TB hard drive (preferably the latter)
Battery life doesn't matter (will be plugged in at basically all times)
Weight mostly doesn't matter (I'll bring it with me occasionally on trips but no more than 2-3 times a year).
My max budget is around $1,700 but the closer to $1,500 the better. I'm in the US btw.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Sheesh the 1TB hdd in my Pavillon was really terrible. After I swapped it out for a SSD my games load as quick as on my desktop machine and got rid of some stuttering. Plus it's even more quiet now. Seriously, for a gaming laptop running Division 2 for over an hour - this thing is very quiet.
Very surprised a 1650 and a 9th gen i5 can run games so well without sacrificing too much of quality. Made the right choice with this one!

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
hxXn23o.png

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I think is going to be the one I get. Thanks.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I think is going to be the one I get. Thanks.

Just keep in mind you may need to buy extra storage. The cheapest model comes with a 512GB SSD and nothing else. (There's room for a second PCIe SSD.)

Here's what the innards look like, in case you're curious. Posting because, for whatever reason, neither Dave2D nor Linus has reviewed this thing:

SpmlVTG.jpg

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just ordered an Alienware Area 51m with i7 9700, RTX 2080, 32GB RAM and 512GB SSD, should be here in about a week. So keen for all dat ray tracing.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered an Alienware Area 51m with i7 9700, RTX 2080, 32GB RAM and 512GB SSD, should be here in about a week. So keen for all dat ray tracing.

Sounds like a nice machine, what is the price on something like that? Also what the resolution of the screen and refresh rate?

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Been putting off buying a new laptop for far too long and it's about time I finally get on with it. Saw this thread and decided to ask for some recommendations.

Budget: targeting US$1500, can go above if needed.
Performance: it probably sounds a bit sacrilegious, but 1080/60 on medium-high is enough for me for the more mainstream games; don't need to be able to run all the most demanding stuff on max settings but would like for it to hold its own against or be a bit better than roughly PS4/XBO. I know nothing about specs so if those two statements are contradictory then just go with the console parity one. I'm upgrading from something ancient (it has a GT 420M, for reference) so anything modern will feel like a massive step up anyway.
Storage: ideally at least 1TB in whatever form. Don't know enough about all the SSD vs HDD vs hybrid arguments to say anything else.
Hardware: 15'' for the display if possible, 17'' acceptable, don't need it to be ultra-thin (even if it seems like a lot of stuff is trending that way). Good cooling without jet-engine-level ventilation would also be a plus.
Other: I can barely trust myself with a bottle cap opener sometimes let alone tools needed to open a laptop, so the less I would need to go under the hood for anything besides complete emergencies, the better. And it'd be nice if the manufacturer has a history of reliability; would be willing to take a slight performance hit if it means being able to get a more stable laptop.

Again I haven't really made a list like this before or tried shopping for a computer in basically about a decade so I apologize if any of the above is nonsense. Let me know if I need to follow-up on anything and thanks in advance.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Here's Crysis 2 on Extreme settings with the GU502GU. It maintains 60 fps. Same with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 4.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a nice machine, what is the price on something like that? Also what the resolution of the screen and refresh rate?

I was in a pretty unique situation, I bought a MSI GE75 Raider that broke within a month so the retailer I got it from took off over $1000 from the Area 51 M as a goodwill gesture. There are four different Configs of the laptop you can check out though. The screen is 1080p 144Hz.
Be sure to try to repaste it with a better thermal compound.
I have absolutely no idea how to do that but can organise it to be done if necessary, are the Area 51 M widely known to be inadequate in this?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Ok, a friend is looking to buy a gaming laptop for Destiny 2. He's looking in the $1000 to $1500 range and would prefer to shop at Best Buy as he has credit there.

He also plans to do some photo and video editing on it as well.

What are the best options for him?

Trying to talk him into either buying from Amazon or trying to find this one on Best Buy with price match.

Last edited:

Salex

Oct 26, 2017
I'm upgrading from the XPS 15 (960M) and wanted some opinions before I pulled the trigger. Originally, I was going to get either the Legion Y540 or Acer Predator Helios 300 with the GTX 1660 TI but the current cashback promos made me reconsider my options.

This is the Y740 model I'm about to buy

CWBcvWJ.png

Ebates (aka Rakuten) has 10% cashback on the Lenovo website right now and if I use Paypal, I can get 5% + 1% cashback with my Discover Credit Card.

All in all, I should end up spending about $1370 with taxes. Is this a pretty good deal?

EDIT: Oops, it's just 5% cashback with Discover. So it's about $1385.
Ordered! It'll be here by next Monday! I'll post impressions if anyone is interested in buying this laptop.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks, I ended up purchasing it. I saw that one with a 9th gen CPU was $100 more but I didn't feel like it was worth it, so I got the 8th gen one you linked.
Yeah I linked the 8750H SKU on purpose. I mean the 6-core boost clock difference between the two is 3.9Ghz (8750) vs 4.0Ghz (9750). That will never be worth $100 to me.

Been putting off buying a new laptop for far too long and it's about time I finally get on with it. Saw this thread and decided to ask for some recommendations.

Budget: targeting US$1500, can go above if needed.
Performance: it probably sounds a bit sacrilegious, but 1080/60 on medium-high is enough for me for the more mainstream games; don't need to be able to run all the most demanding stuff on max settings but would like for it to hold its own against or be a bit better than roughly PS4/XBO. I know nothing about specs so if those two statements are contradictory then just go with the console parity one. I'm upgrading from something ancient (it has a GT 420M, for reference) so anything modern will feel like a massive step up anyway.
Storage: ideally at least 1TB in whatever form. Don't know enough about all the SSD vs HDD vs hybrid arguments to say anything else.
Hardware: 15'' for the display if possible, 17'' acceptable, don't need it to be ultra-thin (even if it seems like a lot of stuff is trending that way). Good cooling without jet-engine-level ventilation would also be a plus.
Other: I can barely trust myself with a bottle cap opener sometimes let alone tools needed to open a laptop, so the less I would need to go under the hood for anything besides complete emergencies, the better. And it'd be nice if the manufacturer has a history of reliability; would be willing to take a slight performance hit if it means being able to get a more stable laptop.

Again I haven't really made a list like this before or tried shopping for a computer in basically about a decade so I apologize if any of the above is nonsense. Let me know if I need to follow-up on anything and thanks in advance.
Around $1500 you can do something like this 15.6" MSI GL65. If you are willing to go 17.3" the only machine I would consider with your budget is this one, which has an RTX 2070 and a mechanical keyboard.

Ok, a friend is looking to buy a gaming laptop for Destiny 2. He's looking in the $1000 to $1500 range and would prefer to shop at Best Buy as he has credit there.

He also plans to do some photo and video editing on it as well.

What are the best options for him?

Trying to talk him into either buying from Amazon or trying to find this one on Best Buy with price match.

I narrowed it down to these search results and parameters, based on your criteria. I've made this so easy he only needs to decide on screen size and between the 1660 Ti and RTX 2060. I purposely eliminated the Ryzen 7 machines from contention because quad cores are dead.

I'm upgrading from the XPS 15 (960M) and wanted some opinions before I pulled the trigger. Originally, I was going to get either the Legion Y540 or Acer Predator Helios 300 with the GTX 1660 TI but the current cashback promos made me reconsider my options.

This is the Y740 model I'm about to buy

CWBcvWJ.png

Ebates (aka Rakuten) has 10% cashback on the Lenovo website right now and if I use Paypal, I can get 5% + 1% cashback with my Discover Credit Card.

All in all, I should end up spending about $1370 with taxes. Is this a pretty good deal?
Good deal, yes, very good.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yeah I linked the 8750H SKU on purpose. I mean the 6-core boost clock difference between the two is 3.9Ghz (8750) vs 4.0Ghz (9750). That will never be worth $100 to me.

Around $1500 you can do something like this 15.6" MSI GL65. If you are willing to go 17.3" the only machine I would consider with your budget is this one, which has an RTX 2070 and a mechanical keyboard.

I narrowed it down to these search results and parameters, based on your criteria. I've made this so easy he only needs to decide on screen size and between the 1660 Ti and RTX 2060. I purposely eliminated the Ryzen 7 machines from contention because quad cores are dead.

Good deal, yes, very good.
Are any of those able to maintain their frequency with the i7 in them, though? The Ryzen 7 stays in the 68-72C range under load while staying between 3.5 and 4GHz. It's 4C 8T. But that's better for gaming than a 6C 6T at 92C dropping to 2.5GHz.

This review is not for the 2060 version, but the CPU temps stand. The temps and frequencies shown are for the i5, the i7 would produce even more heat and drop even lower.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to replace an Alienware 13 I got in 2016 that has started to have some heat issues unless I prop it up a couple of inches from the surface. That plus it won't run No Man's Sky in VR comfortably enough means I need to upgrade.

Are the new Dell G7s or the new Alienware m15 and m17 better with thermals or is it the same shit show that it has been for the past couple of years?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
So I opened up my aero and added the second RAM stick & SSD. Got the cheapest one I could for 1Tb, an Intel 660p. Also RAM usage went down to 25% on idle so we're good. It was just Windows 10 being its greedy little self.

And man, surprisingly I never had an easier time upgrading a laptop. Serviceability is really top notch on this thing, it took me like a minute to take off the bottom cover, didn't have to use anything to pry it off after taking out the screws. The screw for the additional SSD was already there, and they even left me a thermal pad for it with the PC's manual.

Now it's time for some gaming. Going to play Ori first, which should be awesome with that screen, then Witcher 3 with a truckload of mods.

Hmm... if I were to raise the limit to $2000, what other options does that give me for either size? It's been almost a decade; I can afford to splurge a bit.

Since you mentioned fan noise in your criterias, the 2019 Gaming Pavilion line has been praised for its quietness, which is very rare nowadays, especially in the budget segment. Best you can get out of it is a 1660 Ti, which won't blow your socks off but will still manage a lot more than what you're asking for.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Are any of those able to maintain their frequency with the i7 in them, though? The Ryzen 7 stays in the 68-72C range under load while staying between 3.5 and 4GHz. It's 4C 8T. But that's better for gaming than a 6C 6T at 92C dropping to 2.5GHz.

This review is not for the 2060 version, but the CPU temps stand. The temps and frequencies shown are for the i5, the i7 would produce even more heat and drop even lower.
In Notebookcheck's review of the FX505, the Ryzen 7 gets smashed by the 9750H/8750H in every CPU benchmark, and that is in system where if you check the reviews the CPUs were indeed not holding their max boost clocks. Yes the Intel 6-cores run a bit hot, but it is easily countered by simply undervolting them in Intel XTU or Throttlestop.

There is literally no reason to recommend the Ryzen 7 when it will be a handicap in the near future.

I'm trying to replace an Alienware 13 I got in 2016 that has started to have some heat issues unless I prop it up a couple of inches from the surface. That plus it won't run No Man's Sky in VR comfortably enough means I need to upgrade.

Are the new Dell G7s or the new Alienware m15 and m17 better with thermals or is it the same shit show that it has been for the past couple of years?
The R2 versions of the M series are supposed to have far better cooling than last yaer's models.

Hmm... if I were to raise the limit to $2000, what other options does that give me for either size? It's been almost a decade; I can afford to splurge a bit.
Uh, $2k... Spending that much we are buying an RTX 2070 in a high-end machine with top notch cooling and amenities.

Few examples:

15.6" - MSI GE65 Raider so you get a 240Hz display, per-key RGB Steelseries keyboard, a built in ESS Sabre DAC and amp for when you plug into the headphone jack, 2 speakers and 2 subwoofers designed by Dynaudio, etc

15.6" - ASUS ROG Strix Scar III G531

17.3" - Asus ROG Strix Hero III

17.3" - MSI GE75 Raider - big brother of the GE65

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
In Notebookcheck's review of the FX505, the Ryzen 7 gets smashed by the 9750H/8750H in every CPU benchmark, and that is in system where if you check the reviews the CPUs were indeed not holding their max boost clocks. Yes the Intel 6-cores run a bit hot, but it is easily countered by simply undervolting them in Intel XTU or Throttlestop.

There is literally no reason to recommend the Ryzen 7 when it will be a handicap in the near future.

The R2 versions of the M series are supposed to have far better cooling than last yaer's models.

Uh, $2k... Spending that much we are buying an RTX 2070 in a high-end machine with top notch cooling and amenities.

Few examples:

15.6" - MSI GE65 Raider so you get a 240Hz display, per-key RGB Steelseries keyboard, a built in ESS Sabre DAC and amp for when you plug into the headphone jack, 2 speakers and 2 subwoofers designed by Dynaudio, etc

Just looking at the CPU benchmarks don't tell you anything about gaming. 6 cores at 2.5GHz will outperform 4 cores at 3.5GHz in CPU benchmarks, but won't perform as well in gaming.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Just looking at the CPU benchmarks don't tell you anything about gaming. 6 cores at 2.5GHz will outperform 4 cores at 3.5GHz in CPU benchmarks, but won't perform as well in gaming.
The answer is that the Intel CPUs are killing the Ryzen in all scenarios. Period.

This 6 cores at 2.5Ghz is never happening so you should remove that biased hypothetical from your head. Notebookcheck has hundreds of reviews of laptops with these CPUs so you can see for yourself with minimal research. 6 cores and 12 threads at 3.5 plus gigahertz are not losing ever. The Ryzen 7 is at best a competitor for the i5-8300H/9300H. It has been tested.Yeah that's the Ryzen 5. The 7 was tested versus the 5 too. It's barely faster.

I have no skin in this transaction. If you really want him to get the Ryzen for whatever reason, go ahead and push for it. Just know that when the next-gen consoles get into swing he will be behind the eight ball in PC ports if the base specs start asking for 6+ cores.

You should take my word for it on this one.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
The answer is that the Intel CPUs are killing the Ryzen in all scenarios. Period.

This 6 cores at 2.5Ghz is never happening so you should remove that biased hypothetical from your head. Notebookcheck has hundreds of reviews of laptops with these CPUs so you can see for yourself with minimal research. 6 cores and 12 threads at 3.5 plus gigahertz are not losing ever. The Ryzen 7 is at best a competitor for the i5-8300H/9300H. It has been tested.Yeah that's the Ryzen 5. The 7 was tested versus the 5 too. It's barely faster.

I have no skin in this transaction. If you really want him to get the Ryzen for whatever reason, go ahead and push for it. Just know that when the next-gen consoles get into swing he will be behind the eight ball in PC ports if the base specs start asking for 6+ cores.

You should take my word for it on this one.
Dude, i7s throttling to hell in notebooks are a very common occurrence. Acting like it's not happening is biased as hell... My i5 throttles horribly in my Inspiron Gaming laptop. They are hot processors.

Edit: Did you even look at the results of the testing you provided? If so, do you understand what you're seeing?

The results show exactly what I was talking about.

In single thread (cooling can keep up because only one core is working) the i7 8565u is 21% faster than the Ryzen 5 3550h.

But in multi core, it's only 2%. That's because the Intel chip is throttling and burning through your battery converting a lot of energy into heat. When you could get the same performance from the Ryzen with better battery like and less heat.

With the Ryzen 7 clocked higher, you wouldn't have the 2% difference anymore, as your second link shows the Ryzen 7 outperforming the 9300 in multi core.

Last edited:

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Dude, i7s throttling to hell in notebooks are a very common occurrence. Acting like it's not happening is biased as hell... My i5 throttles horribly in my Inspiron Gaming laptop. They are hot processors.

Edit: Did you even look at the results of the testing you provided? If so, do you understand what you're seeing?

In single thread (cooling can keep up because only one core is working) the i7 8565u is 21% faster than the Ryzen 5 3550h.

But in multi core, it's only 2%. That's because the Intel chip is throttling and burning through your battery converting a lot of energy into heat. When you could get the same performance from the Ryzen with better battery like and less heat.

With the Ryzen 7 clocked higher, you wouldn't have the 2% difference anymore, as your second link shows the Ryzen 7 outperforming the 9300 in multi core.
I7 9xxx or Ryzen 7 8 core may make sense in 17in laptops where there's more room for cooling, but at 15, there's just not enough heat dissipation for them.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017

Few examples:

That sounds like overkill... I mostly upped the budget because your first reply made it sound like I was having to compromise in some way at that level. While I'm open to spending more I want to try not to overspend just for the sake of it.

I really am a complete idiot when it comes to computer gaming so just from reading a list of specs I have no idea if something would be as powerful as I think, like what's the scale of the difference between the 1660 and 2060 graphics cards, or the difference between the same card having 6GB or 8GB or RAM, or what it means to have a mechanical or "per-key" keyboard. I'll go rethink my requirements and post something simpler and less restrictive a bit later; sorry to make you go through the trouble on the initial search.

Also besides the obvious nature of their bigger screen, are there any notable advantages to 17" laptops over 15" ones?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

I am trying to help you from a position of experience and knowledge. I do this thread solely to steer people in the right direction. I have no reason to go back and forth with you.

What happens in your specific laptop I cannot speak for, as there are too many factors. It could be as simple as needing to be cleaned and the thermal paste reapplied. What technical steps have you taken to improve the situation? I also don't deal in the vague anecdotes of what are common occurrences. In what year? In what laptop? With what processor?

On to our discussion. The i7-8565U is a 15W quad core ULV (Ultra-Low Voltage) CPU that throttles due to strict power limits. It doesn't even ship in gaming laptops, it's an Ultrabook CPU. The fact that it is matching or slightly outperforming the 35W Ryzen 7 should be telling you a lot. The 6-core, 45W Intel i7-8750H and 9750H are never losing, never.

Please stop telling me the high-end Intel chips will throttle and be outperformed by the Ryzen when I know they won't. I am a gaming laptop hobbyist, I am always gathering information for use in this thread. It has not and will not happen with any of the specific laptops I recommend in this thread. I have recommended and endorsed the cheaper Ryzen 7 TUF laptops to people on a budget who can not afford to step up to Intel chips, because in the end you have to take the best that's in your price range. There is just no sensible reason to choose the inferior CPU when the superior ones are in the same price bracket. No laptop above $1100 should be bought with the Ryzen.

That's pretty much it. I have passed the knowledge on to you. Do what thou wilt. I am literally done going back and forth on this CPU subject though. If you want/need more laptop advice, quote me again.

That sounds like overkill... I mostly upped the budget because your first reply made it sound like I was having to compromise in some way at that level. While I'm open to spending more I want to try not to overspend just for the sake of it.

I really am a complete idiot when it comes to computer gaming so just from reading a list of specs I have no idea if something would be as powerful as I think, like what's the scale of the difference between the 1660 and 2060 graphics cards, or the difference between the same card having 6GB or 8GB or RAM, or what it means to have a mechanical or "per-key" keyboard. I'll go rethink my requirements and post something simpler and less restrictive a bit later; sorry to make you go through the trouble on the initial search.

Also besides the obvious nature of their bigger screen, are there any notable advantages to 17" laptops over 15" ones?
No problem at all, you are not bothering me. I have done these threads since back on GAF because I just like gaming laptops and helping people in the community figure out what to buy is my public service.

Maybe figure out how long you want the laptop to last. Honestly, just slightly over your original budget was enough to get you that one laptop with the full RTX 2070 I posted. That will set you up the present and next-gen as well, so maybe think about that one.

Here is a review that popular Youtube gaming laptop reviewer David Lee (D2D) did on it when it came out:

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Super noob question.
I'm contemplating about getting a gaming laptop for a week now.
While browsing some youtube videos, I found out that you can use the laptop just like a console.
I mean the screen is down but the laptop is running(?), while connected to a different monitor.
How?Does this work in all laptops?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Super noob question.
While browsing some youtube videos, I found out that you can use the laptop just like a console.
I mean the screen is down but the laptop is running(?), while connected to a different monitor.
How?
You connect to the TV/monitor via HDMI/Displayport/whatever, select the external display as the output, the laptop display will go black, then you can close the laptop.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
Super noob question.
How?Does this work in all laptops?

In windows settings go to "change what closing the lid does" and set it to do nothing.

When you close the laptop lid it will still output to the external display.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

13 R3 OLED here

1. That means the Colgate thermal paste dried up. Just repaste.
2. It is always recommend to lift the back of Alienware laptops for better airflow.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
No problem at all, you are not bothering me. I have done these threads since back on GAF because I just like gaming laptops and helping people in the community figure out what to buy is my public service.

Maybe figure out how long you want the laptop to last. Honestly, just slightly over your original budget was enough to get you that one laptop with the full RTX 2070 I posted. That will set you up the present and next-gen as well, so maybe think about that one.

Here is a review that popular Youtube gaming laptop reviewer David Lee (D2D) did on it when it came out:

Thanks for the advice; I watched the video and it gave me a good idea of what kind of laptop you get for that price but I'm probably going to have to go back and re-evaluate exactly how advanced I really need the performance to be for the types and amount of PC gaming I realistically think I'll be doing in the next few years. And especially thinking about where my lifestyle will be to the point where if I were to blow a lot of money, a combo of a medium-level laptop and high-powered desktop might be smarter.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
You connect to the TV/monitor via HDMI/Displayport/whatever, select the external display as the output, the laptop display will go black, then you can close the laptop.
In windows settings go to "change what closing the lid does" and set it to do nothing.

I see, Thanks!
I'm more convince to buy a gaming laptop.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I am trying to help you from a position of experience and knowledge. I do this thread solely to steer people in the right direction. I have no reason to go back and forth with you.

What happens in your specific laptop I cannot speak for, as there are too many factors. It could be as simple as needing to be cleaned and the thermal paste reapplied. What technical steps have you taken to improve the situation? I also don't deal in the vague anecdotes of what are common occurrences. In what year? In what laptop? With what processor?

On to our discussion. The i7-8565U is a 15W quad core ULV (Ultra-Low Voltage) CPU that throttles due to strict power limits. It doesn't even ship in gaming laptops, it's an Ultrabook CPU. The fact that it is matching or slightly outperforming the 35W Ryzen 7 should be telling you a lot. The 6-core, 45W Intel i7-8750H and 9750H are never losing, never.

Please stop telling me the high-end Intel chips will throttle and be outperformed by the Ryzen when I know they won't. I am a gaming laptop hobbyist, I am always gathering information for use in this thread. It has not and will not happen with any of the specific laptops I recommend in this thread. I have recommended and endorsed the cheaper Ryzen 7 TUF laptops to people on a budget who can not afford to step up to Intel chips, because in the end you have to take the best that's in your price range. There is just no sensible reason to choose the inferior CPU when the superior ones are in the same price bracket. No laptop above $1100 should be bought with the Ryzen.

That's pretty much it. I have passed the knowledge on to you. Do what thou wilt. I am literally done going back and forth on this CPU subject though. If you want/need more laptop advice, quote me again.

I was looking to see if there were any deals I had missed, not to be talked into getting my friend a laptop with overall less performance for the same price by a fanboy.

The source I've provided and the ones you provided show what I'm talking about. The only person talking anecdotally here is you. You've been a rude know-it-all while showing no understanding of thermal dynamics or overall system balance. I didn't come into this thread seeking your "knowledge" I was looking for deals. Don't make claims you can't back up, them provide links that disprove your claim, and then get mad I don't give you a pat on the back and thank you for being so much smarter than everyone else.

In a 15 inch laptop a hot CPU will also throttle your GPU since the same heatsink has to dissipate heat from both the CPU and GPU. In 15 inch laptops there's just not enough room for a heatsink capable of both, so with a hot CPU, the GPU also suffers. As I said before, an i7 6 core or a Ryzen 8 core can make sense in a 17 inch or larger laptop, but at 15, they are unbalanced and drag GPU performance down with their heat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Undervolting is pretty much mandatory to get the best out of the 9750H and 8750H, might as well get that out of the way first.

Of the laptops on your list the SCAR has the best cooling solution.

I have personally been within the MSI ecosystem for the last 7 years. Their machines consistently have the best or 2nd best cooling and build quality. I exclusively buy 17" machines for the record. Their 15.6" SCAR competitor would be the MSI GE65.

Yeah the 8750H and 9750H don't having sweeping differences between the two. I mean the max 6 core boosts of the two are 3.9Ghz and 4.0Ghz, respectively.

Hi! Thanks for the advice, I've been waiting and thinking of whether I should invest +2000 in a laptop and be constrained by thermals or just wait it out until the 10nm drops and get a middle-down the road solution, but during this hesitation period, I had to work with my old MBP 13 inch and it has been dreadful. Moreover, I could wait forever and still won't be satisfied of what is available. I had the MSI GE65 high on my list, but the lack of available reviews apart from the video of PCworld was making my decision difficult.
I'm getting the Asus Strix Hero III - G531GW (i7 9750h and full-fat RTX 2070) for $1731 (including Tax, $1599 without) @ microcenter, which is a great deal. It's the same laptop as SCAR III, but it has some external differences (different chassis design). The 17 inch model was $100 more, but I had no need of the 17 inch.

I'll be posting my first impressions soon, hopefully this week as the laptop will arrive on the 28th.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks for the advice; I watched the video and it gave me a good idea of what kind of laptop you get for that price but I'm probably going to have to go back and re-evaluate exactly how advanced I really need the performance to be for the types and amount of PC gaming I realistically think I'll be doing in the next few years. And especially thinking about where my lifestyle will be to the point where if I were to blow a lot of money, a combo of a medium-level laptop and high-powered desktop might be smarter.
For the vast majority of people, the mid-range laptop and high powered desktop route is absolutely the right path. You get so much more for your dollar in that sphere, along with so many other bonuses like ease of maintenance and future upgrades being an option without replacing the whole box.

Actually derFeef just learned on this very page that a "weaker" laptop was the much better fit for his lifestyle.

High-end laptops are super cool and all but they are a niche that just aren't for everyone.

I was looking to see if there were any deals I had missed, not to be talked into getting my friend a laptop with overall less performance for the same price by a fanboy.
The thing is, I possess no overwhelming desire to spend time proving that I am right on the internet.

I brought laptops to your attention that are better deals with higher CPU performance, but you have a preconceived notion that they do not. You have presented no evidence to the contrary, but are convinced that the i7-8750H will throttle and be outperformed by the Ryzen 7. I have simply tried to explain why this isn't true, to which you came back with both accusations of bias and the performance of an irrelevant low voltage quad core as the proof that you are right about the other chips.

Now I am an Intel fanboy despite not caring at all. If AMD had higher core cunts in laptops I'd be all over them. As things stand they don't and they are getting washed by Intel's 6 and 8 core chips in all facets. If the contrary was true, you wouldn't be the only person who knows about it. There are too any laptops with identical specs sans one having the Ryzen to the others 8750H for the truth to not be out there. Yes, there are laptops in the thin/light sector that have major heat issues, but we aren't bringing those to the table here.

Conclusion. You are convinced, and came in convinced, so just leave me alone about this and tell your friend to buy the TUF. All of the "better deals" you seek house the 6-core Intel chips you refuse to tell him about, so just drop it.

Godspeed. Let's leave this with no ill feelings.

Hi! Thanks for the advice, I've been waiting and thinking of whether I should invest +2000 in a laptop and be constrained by thermals or just wait it out until the 10nm drops and get a middle-down the road solution, but during this hesitation period, I had to work with my old MBP 13 inch and it has been dreadful. Moreover, I could wait forever and still won't be satisfied of what is available. I had the MSI GE65 high on my list, but the lack of available reviews apart from the video of PCworld was making my decision difficult.
I'm getting the Asus Strix Hero III - G531GW (i7 9750h and full-fat RTX 2070) for $1731 (including Tax, $1599 without) @ microcenter, which is a great deal. It's the same laptop as SCAR III, but it has some external differences (different chassis design). The 17 inch model was $100 more, but I had no need of the 17 inch.

I'll be posting my first impressions soon, hopefully this week as the laptop will arrive on the 28th.
Waiting and making an informed decision is always smart. Just try not to feel forced into a purchase you don't want to make because in the end you want to love what you end up keeping, and feel good about what you've spent on it.

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any manufacturers who are known for having particularly good or bad track records for hardware reliability? Doing a bit of my own research and wanted to know which companies I should look more into or avoid.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017

Does that not build up more heat, and also damage the screen with said heat ? The surface of my laptop can get very hot when playing demanding games, the tray with four fans I have underneath does little to lower the core temperature.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
13 R3 OLED here

1. That means the Colgate thermal paste dried up. Just repaste.
2. It is always recommend to lift the back of Alienware laptops for better airflow.

I already repasted about 4 months ago in attempt to bring temps down since my son was using it for games. It helped a bit at first but has started throttling again unless I lift it up, which I can do but I'm not very comfortable balancing it like that on my lapboard.

I suppose I could invest in some adhesive rubber risers to stick to the bottom, but that comfort issue plus issues running no man's sky on my rift s has me looking for something new.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Any recommendations on a decent laptop between 5-700 bucks? I "need one for school" and wouldn't mind playing some modern games even with low end graphics.

(It's going to be mostly Minecraft, Fortnite, and Wow)