• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
well now I'm second-guessing my decision to get an ASUS TUF FX505DU for $800 a few months ago, but OTOH, my Lenovo Y50 from 2015 really was running like absolute dogshit (not just gaming, I mean basic things like startup times, Web browsing, etc) and I dunno how much longer I could have put up with that
Doesn't the DU have a 120Hz panel, Ryzen + 1660 Ti? Why would you regret that? At $800 that's pretty insane.

I just ordered a Dell XPS 15 7590.

Did I do good?
Is "depends on why you bought it" a shaky response?

Articalys

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this a few times. I'm really not big on spending large sums of money on laptops this year anyway. The RTX 20 series is just not delivering a large leap over the GTX 10 series due to the power constraints.

Buying a mid-range machine on a flash deal and seeing how 2020 pans out is probably the most savvy move you could've made. You did extremely well with the information you've been gathering, and the patience you showed before making a decision is to be commended.
It's less patience and more the fact that I am absolutely godawful at choosing between similar options for big tech purchases, basically these two XKCD comics personified. If it wasn't for the fact that the top row of keys on my current laptop started acting up and intermittently not responding a few weeks ago, I might not have even began seriously investigating recommendations on something new -- and this is after using the thing for 3+ years constantly plugged into AC since its battery life had gone below an hour.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea how Gears 5 will run on 2070 Max-Q? Googled around and can't seem to find any proper benchmarks. I'm guessing it should run fine at 1080p but the benchmarks did say its a lot more demanding than Gears 4.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Doesn't the DU have a 120Hz panel, Ryzen + 1660 Ti? Why would you regret that? At $800 that's pretty insane.

nah, I got the cheaper one with a 60hz display, 8GB of RAM, and a Ryzen 5 3550H (which is only slightly slower than the Ryzen 7 in the other model, according to the benchmarks I could find). As of late June, it was the only laptop I'd found in that price range with a 1660Ti, but seems like there are other deals now with some combination of a faster CPU/more RAM/a higher-refresh display. c'est la vie

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
well, you've been posting about how Ryzens are slow and may have trouble running games targeting PS5 and XB4, but I may be overthinking it
nah, I got the cheaper one with a 60hz display, 8GB of RAM, and a Ryzen 5 3550H (which is only slightly slower than the Ryzen 7 in the other model, according to the benchmarks I could find). As of late June, it was the only laptop I'd found in that price range with a 1660Ti, but seems like there are other deals now with some combination of a faster CPU/more RAM/a higher-refresh display. c'est la vie
It is true that I worry about quad cores, when the consoles look to be setting a new baseline for CPU requirements at 6 to 8 cores. It's also true that it would be hard for me to tell you to take a 6-core CPU with a GTX 1650 over a quad core with a 1660 Ti and its 40% boost in GPU power.

It's when two laptops are in the same price bracket, with the same GPU, that taking the quad core is questionable. You bought the best laptop you could get at the time.

Any idea how Gears 5 will run on 2070 Max-Q? Googled around and can't seem to find any proper benchmarks. I'm guessing it should run fine at 1080p but the benchmarks did say its a lot more demanding than Gears 4.

I bought the Gamepass trial just to run the benchmark on my now last-gen laptop. Results:

GOW5_Benchs.png~original

You won't do any worse than this at 1080p, so you have no worries.

Pardon the odd question but is a gtx 1660 ti 6 gb better to have over gtx 1060 6gb?

Edit- to expand on that, how are these models, i am just browsing some sites and helping out a friend with purchasing a new laptop

Edit2- links work fine it is just thr unfurl code :v
The GTX 1060 is over 3 years old as of July. There almost literally no reason to choose one, outside of a seeing huge discount.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the razer blade have like a control center to check the fan speeds and temperatures, etc?

Mine does an strange mechanical noise sometimes, and i have no idea what it is (because it doesn't have a mechanical hard drive, and is weird for it to be the fans, because it does it when i scroll on a webpage or alt tab for example.. so strange)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Small news on my HP Pavillon Gaming laptop.
The touchpad stopped working and the werid thing is it's now kinda loosened on the left lower edge, like some support thing broke. It's now really wiggly if you use it. Gonna send it in for repairs... :/

That's just after like 3 weeks of usage, and I am mostly using it with mouse. Not a good look of an otherwise good device sadly.

Last edited:

MAD_Targaryen

Banned
Jul 26, 2019
Can't decide between the MSI GE75 or the ASUS GX502. The MSI laptop has an rtx 2080, while the ASUS has a RTX 2070. The vantage to the ASUS has G-SYNC both are the same price $2499.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Can't decide between the MSI GE75 or the ASUS GX502. The MSI laptop has an rtx 2080, while the ASUS has a RTX 2070. The vantage to the ASUS has G-SYNC both are the same price $2499.
Your RTX 2080 would work flawlessly in the vast majority of games whereas I've had my fair share of GSync woes. If this is the only difference I'd take the stronger GPU any day.

You can also buy a GSync monitor any time.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Small news on my HP Pavillon Gaming laptop.
The touchpad stopped working and the werid thing is it's now kinda loosened on the left lower edge, like some support thing broke. It's now really wiggly if you use it. Gonna send it in for repairs... :/

That's just after like 3 weeks of usage, and I am mostly using it with mouse. Not a good look of an otherwise good device sadly.

My cousin's HP Pavilion Gaming laptop also has issues, with the hard drive dying and the screen flickering and turning off at times, also sent for repairs.

HP and quality control is an issue.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
G-Sync is not at all worth skipping the GPU that is 25% faster. You only get one chance to increase your longevity when buying a laptop, and the GPU is the ticket.

G-Sync is the cherry on top of a good build, while the GPU is the meat and potatoes.

In the end, is it wiser to pay a G-Sync tax, or an RTX 2080 tax? The latter gets you much further when the prices are equal.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Does the razer blade have like a control center to check the fan speeds and temperatures, etc?

Mine does an strange mechanical noise sometimes, and i have no idea what it is (because it doesn't have a mechanical hard drive, and is weird for it to be the fans, because it does it when i scroll on a webpage or alt tab for example.. so strange)
Search 'Razer Blade electrical noise', see if that is what you are experiencing.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Will there be any laptops with CPUs like the Ryzen 3700x? I've got a Clevo with an i7 6700k and it'd give better performance and should run cooler going by the tdp of each chip?

Still happy with this laptop tbf but it's always worth checking out!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Will there be any laptops with CPUs like the Ryzen 3700x? I've got a Clevo with an i7 6700k and it'd give better performance and should run cooler going by the tdp of each chip?

The current AMD laptop ones are actually 2nd gen Ryzen parts, so Zen+ dies. The Zen 2 ones haven't come out for laptops because APUs are behind in general. The best mobile part is the Ryzen 7 3750h, which is on par with an i5 8300H.

Intel owns laptop performance atm, including DTRs.

There was an Asus with the desktop 1700, Asus ROG GL702ZC, but there has been no success to using Zen+ or Zen 2 on it due to no AGESA.

Acer made a Predator Helios 500, PH517-61-R0GX, with the Ryzen 2700 https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/NH.Q3GAA.001

So pretty much the best you can do right now in terms of CPU is something like an Alienware 51m and a 9900k.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Man after so many years of console gaming I forgot how great it felt to play games on a good gaming PC.

Been playing The Witcher 3 and Forza Horizon 4, and with just a simple 1660 Ti and that OLED screen it's fucking beautiful.

So happy I said fuck it to my budget and went with the Aero 15, it delivered in every way.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ya'll,

I am in the market for a gaming laptop. I am looking to spend anywhere from $1200-1600 USD. If anyone thinks my budget is too high for what I'm really looking to do, let me know. Thanks!

My main focus is:

-good display for photography editing
-And SSD hard drive.

I'm not really looking to play any super graphic intensive games (league of legends, world of Warcraft, maybe some Overwatch).

I nearly pulled the trigger earlier on an hp spectre x360 but I'm not sure I really need the tablet feature.

If possible, laptops available on amazon would be a huge plus, as I have their CC.

Thanks so much for any help and information.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

AMD has been really cagey about high-end mobile 3000 series CPUs. Right now they are looking like a 2020 affair.

Man after so many years of console gaming I forgot how great it felt to play games on a good gaming PC.

Been playing The Witcher 3 and Forza Horizon 4, and with just a simple 1660 Ti and that OLED screen it's fucking beautiful.

So happy I said fuck it to my budget and went with the Aero 15, it delivered in every way.
Any worry given to burn in/image retention? I've always wondered how that affected the laptop space.

Hey ya'll,

I am in the market for a gaming laptop. I am looking to spend anywhere from $1200-1600 USD. If anyone thinks my budget is too high for what I'm really looking to do, let me know. Thanks!

My main focus is:

-good display for photography editing
-And SSD hard drive.

I'm not really looking to play any super graphic intensive games (league of legends, world of Warcraft, maybe some Overwatch).

I nearly pulled the trigger earlier on an hp spectre x360 but I'm not sure I really need the tablet feature.

If possible, laptops available on amazon would be a huge plus, as I have their CC.

Thanks so much for any help and information.

While it's on sale this MSI GL63 9SDK is giving a hell of a lot for its price. 120Hz display with 89% AdobeRGB and 100% sRGB coverage, Intel i7-9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB RAM in dual channel, per key RGB keyboard.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Any worry given to burn in/image retention? I've always wondered how that affected the laptop space.

Seems to pretty much be a thing of the past. All the reviews I read/watched before buying addressed it and said there were no issues, although of course this might be something that takes months or years to develop.

Just to be safe I switched all the websites I visit to dark theme whenever possible, and I won't leave the screen on high contrast/fixed image for long periods of time unless necessary. Nothing to report so far. I use my laptop four to five hours every day btw.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to pretty much be a thing of the past. All the reviews I read/watched before buying addressed it and said there were no issues, although of course this might be something that takes months or years to develop.

Just to be safe I switched all the websites I visit to dark theme whenever possible, and I won't leave the screen on high contrast/fixed image for long periods of time unless necessary. Nothing to report so far. I use my laptop four to five hours every day btw.

Yeah, all reviewers who said there were no issues with burn in only had the review loaners for a week or two at most.

Usually burn in starts affecting screens after months of use. If modern display units at Best Buy can get burn in before they have even been replaced by a newer model, then burn in will still be an issue at some point during the laptop's lifetime.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
So, a friend's laptop got watered down. When they powered it up (I did not advise this) it gave them an error code instead of booting into Windows. They popped it open and removed the SSD and battery, and are letting it dry overnight. Any other steps that should be taken?

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys
I'm planning on getting a budget gaming laptop with gtx 1650 . Will this gpu support high settings at 900-1080p for latest games for the coming 3 years ? Fps min stable 30fps

also in my country
Rtx 2060 laptop is on sale at the price of 1660 ti laptops

is the asus fx505dv a good option ?

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV 15.6" FHD 120Hz Laptop RTX 2060 6GB Graphics (Ryzen 7-3750H/16GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Gun Metal/2.20 Kg), FX505DV-AL026T https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VRLX5Y9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X6DEDbDT9DTN8

Last edited:

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
So, a friend's laptop got watered down. When they powered it up (I did not advise this) it gave them an error code instead of booting into Windows. They popped it open and removed the SSD and battery, and are letting it dry overnight. Any other steps that should be taken?
Everything turned out OK. :)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hey guys
I'm planning on getting a budget gaming laptop with gtx 1650 . Will this gpu support high settings at 900-1080p for latest games for the coming 3 years ? Fps min stable 30fps

also in my country
Rtx 2060 laptop is on sale at the price of 1660 ti laptops

is the asus fx505dv a good option ?

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV 15.6" FHD 120Hz Laptop RTX 2060 6GB Graphics (Ryzen 7-3750H/16GB RAM/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Gun Metal/2.20 Kg), FX505DV-AL026T https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VRLX5Y9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X6DEDbDT9DTN8
What is your max budget, in your currency?

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So you linked the one at 95,99K with the RTX 2060, were you willing to go over budget for that one? If you are, it's a good buy.

Other than that I would go slightly over budget to ₹ 75k for this ASUS with a GTX 1060, because the 1060 is faster than the GTX 1650, and the latter's 4GB of VRAM is already a liability, which will only get worse in the coming years.

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
So you linked the one at 95,99K with the RTX 2060, were you willing to go over budget for that one? If you are, it's a good buy.

Other than that I would go slightly over budget to ₹ 75k for this ASUS with a GTX 1060, because the 1060 is faster than the GTX 1650, and the latter's 4GB of VRAM is already a liability, which will only get worse in the coming years.

rtx 2060 is tempting ... but i fear it'll get bottleneck by the ryzen 7 . The one you linked with gtx 1060 , that laptop has thermal issues as per reviews.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
rtx 2060 is tempting ... but i fear it'll get bottleneck by the ryzen 7 . The one you linked with gtx 1060 , that laptop has thermal issues as per reviews.
Every laptop in this budget range has a quad core. Seems the i7s are such a huge premium over there.

This HP Gaming 15 is the best price/performance compromise I can find at 79,990. You get a six core Intel and a GTX 1650.

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
Every laptop in this budget range has a quad core. Seems the i7s are such a huge premium over there.

This HP Gaming 15 is the best price/performance compromise I can find at 79,990. You get a six core Intel and a GTX 1650.

Isn't i7 a bit overpowered ? core i5 is enough i guess for a gtx 1650 ... my main requirement is to play games at 1080p with stable fps for 4/5 years from now. I can extend my budget to rtx 2060 but only to that asus fx505dv model . Else how about this legion one ?
Lenovo Legion Y540 9th Gen Intel Core i5 15.6 inch FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB/512GB SSD/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB Graphics/Windows 10/Black/2.3Kg), 81SY00CKIN https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07W6H9YM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mRsFDb094JC4F

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Isn't i7 a bit overpowered ? core i5 is enough i guess for a gtx 1650 ... my main requirement is to play games at 1080p with stable fps for 4/5 years from now. I can extend my budget to rtx 2060 but only to that asus fx505dv model . Else how about this legion one ?
Lenovo Legion Y540 9th Gen Intel Core i5 15.6 inch FHD Gaming Laptop (8GB/512GB SSD/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB Graphics/Windows 10/Black/2.3Kg), 81SY00CKIN https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07W6H9YM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mRsFDb094JC4F
I am more future thinking, with the consoles coming out next year having eight real Ryzen cores, PC CPU requirements are likely to go up beyond just quad cores.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a tempting deal (Canadian price) https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=137467

MSI Stealth Ultra Thin and Light Gaming Notebook
15.6" 144Hz FHD
Intel Core i7-9750H GTX1660Ti,
16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD Win10 Pro, GS65

Checks all of my boxes for $2000; though I'm wondering if waiting until Black Friday would give me equal bang for the same buck.

The 1070 version of this laptop has been frequently on sale for $1700 CAD, albeit with a smaller SSD (256GB), though I figure I will have to add additional storage regardless of which model I chose.

Money is tight so I might wait to see if this will go down in price in a month or two. I'm operating under the assumption that ray tracing won't matter for the next few years, but I could well be wrong.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a laptop and I'seen the Acer Predator Triton 500 -2080 q-max- Intel Core i7 - 9750H-16 go ddr4 - 2239€.
Is it worth it ?
There is the 2060 at 1899€.
With which version should I go ?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Here's a tempting deal (Canadian price) https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=137467

MSI Stealth Ultra Thin and Light Gaming Notebook
15.6" 144Hz FHD
Intel Core i7-9750H GTX1660Ti,
16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD Win10 Pro, GS65

Checks all of my boxes for $2000; though I'm wondering if waiting until Black Friday would give me equal bang for the same buck.

The 1070 version of this laptop has been frequently on sale for $1700 CAD, albeit with a smaller SSD (256GB), though I figure I will have to add additional storage regardless of which model I chose.

Money is tight so I might wait to see if this will go down in price in a month or two. I'm operating under the assumption that ray tracing won't matter for the next few years, but I could well be wrong.
Have you considered the Lenovo Y540?

Black Friday can be a gamble. Last year's wasn't amazing but these GPUs hadn't been out long back then.

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a laptop and I'seen the Acer Predator Triton 500 -2080 q-max- Intel Core i7 - 9750H-16 go ddr4 - 2239€.
Is it worth it ?
There is the 2060 at 1899€.
With which version should I go ?
For that price difference the 2080 is worth it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
How are the i5 8th gen intel cpus? I find a few laptops with gtx 1650 and am helping a friend get a new laptop. Ge is looking into lighr gaming so a 4 gb gfx card ought to be within their budget

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Which laptop out of these two would people buy?

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G GA502DU

ASUS TUF FX505DV

Money is not an issue. They are both within budget or should I purchase another laptop with a better CPU?

Thank you in advance.
All things being equal you take the laptop with the best GPU every time.

I personally would strongly prefer to have a hexa-core CPU heading into this next generation of consoles with powerful octa-cores, which are likely to have 6 or 7 cores usable for gaming.

A laptop such as the HP 15 should be in the running for this reason.

How are the i5 8th gen intel cpus? I find a few laptops with gtx 1650 and am helping a friend get a new laptop. Ge is looking into lighr gaming so a 4 gb gfx card ought to be within their budget
They are good CPUs, certainly fit for budget machines.

The following laptop is on sale on Amazon right now for £699

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52

I know it's only a 1060, but it seems to be a good price.

I'd still take a 1060 over a 1650.

bigred50

Oct 31, 2017
Dell G7-7790 Laptop, 144Hz 17.3" Full HD IPS Display, Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD + 1TB SATA, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, Win10Home

$1,139.99 Factory Reconditioned

I bought the Dell G5-5590 with similar specs although with i7-9750H and I really regret my purchase. The SSD is slow as hell, the machine overheats and the fans are constantly going on and off regardless of what task I'm performing (watching a video, browsing). Toying with Throttlestop and other Thermal Management setting's help a bit, but ugh - I don't know why I gave Dell another shot. Buyer beware when it comes to Dell.

Actual gaming performance is fine after the above adjustments but you'll want to wear headphones at all times to drown out the fan... and perhaps gloves to save your fingertips from being fried to a crisp on the hot keyboard.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Dell G5-5590 with similar specs although with i7-9750H and I really regret my purchase. The SSD is slow as hell, the machine overheats and the fans are constantly going on and off regardless of what task I'm performing (watching a video, browsing). Toying with Throttlestop and other Thermal Management setting's help a bit, but ugh - I don't know why I gave Dell another shot. Buyer beware when it comes to Dell.

Actual gaming performance is fine after the above adjustments but you'll want to wear headphones at all times to drown out the fan... and perhaps gloves to save your fingertips from being fried to a crisp on the hot keyboard.
It is pretty much accepted that any 15 inches laptop will overheat and throttle with the 6 core cpus. You need to repaste with good thermal paste to get decent Temps.

The 8 cores i9s? Better look into liquid metal. Just ask Apple.

Fat Alienwares do not throttle, but that's only if you put good paste and balance the heatsink, which isn't really hard to do. New ones though? gg

Pretty much why I'm lucky to own a 13 R3 OLED that does not throttle after said repaste and using good thermal pads. The heatsink is thick.

If you don't want to mess with paste, the Graphite pad cut to size is still way better than the Colgate paste all manufacturers use. You can't really use Kryonaut for mass manufacturing.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Sooooo
I javent been following much on nvidia gpu news but when can we expect them to reveal their next line of desktop and mobile gpus?