• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
In conjunction with the PC Gaming Threads archive and that there's no Laptop gaming discussion thread on this forum yet, I would like to start it.

Let's use this thread to share news, comments about our gaming laptops, upcoming advances in laptop gaming technology and other helpful information.

I'll start with my recent haul. Having dropped water on my old laptop I was in the market for one anyway, so thought why not get something gaming/VR capable. Costco had the Dell Inspiron 7577 Gaming Laptop for a discount at the start of December for just $699. For reference, the same laptop officially retails for $899.

Here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-7300HQ 2.5 GHz CPU
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
8GB DDR4 Memory
256GB M.2 SATA SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics with Max Q Technology
2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.1 Type-C GEN 2 /w Thunderbolt 3, 1x HDMI 2.0
802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2
Backlit Keyboard
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Added another 8GB 2400mhz stick for dual channel and a 1TB SSHD for mass storage w/ benefits for frequently used games and am super happy with the package. Sure it's not a 4K/60 machine .. but it does 1080/60 on pretty much every game on the highest settings and with some tweaking you can even get it higher. Case and point, I was playing Ryse at 1800p/30 FPS with all settings on High just earlier today without any issues at all. I could unlock the frame rate but it was hovering in the 40's so locking it was a better option.

Other then that, games like Quantum Break, Elex etc run at most settings highest at 1080p/60 (QB with Upscaling turned on because without it .. that game is a ridiculous performance hog) without any problem.

Being the Max Q design, these laptops are also quieter than the full phat 1060 laptops with a much lesser TDP and based on benchmarks from Digital Foundry and other sources, the Max Q 1060 is only ~8% lesser in performance than the full phat laptop 1060 .. unlike the Max Q 1080 which is more closer to a Desktop 1070.

Now. I have a question for the experts too. I have been reading and it's recommended that I do a clean install to remove all of Dell's bloatware. It's not been a huge issue so far but I do love a completely barebones version of Windows 10. I wouldn't mind removing as much bloatware even if it just saves a few gigs of HDD and even 1% of CPU usage by background tasks.

What's the most efficient way to go about it ? I know Win 10 has a built in "clean install" feature in it's recovery settings .. is that as good as using a recovery media to format and do a fresh install ?

So .. what are y'all rocking ?

Here is Digital Foundry's break down of 1060 Max Q laptops for anyone interested. Real fascinating stuff which helps in form factor and noise level while retaining as much performance as possible.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Thanks for making this!

Does anyone know if 10XX laptop cards share the same driver sets as their desktop counterparts?
I've been burned in the past by Nvidia's "M" series missing out on updates or getting degraded performance with driver updates.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making this!

Does anyone know if 10XX laptop cards share the same driver sets as their desktop counterparts?
I've been burned in the past by Nvidia's "M" series missing out on updates or getting degraded performance with driver updates.

Yes. Pretty sure they do as the laptop 10xx series are just the desktop one's underclocked. They're not separate entities.

Geforce experience is pretty good about driver management regardless.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
K. Jack is on ERA, and he did the Laptop threads in the old country. He's bound to make one in the future so keep an eye out for it.

Here's my Predator 15 specs since 2016
GTX 970M
Quad Core Intel i7-6700 HQ @ 2.60 GHz (Forgot how fast it can be, I think 3 GHz?)
16 GB RAM

I plan to upgrade in the future, but I'm confused with the new Intel CPU terminologies, along with knowing the difference in performance/power between 1070, 1070 Ti and 1080.
By future I mean late 2018 or early 2019 :P

BTW using my rig I can run CEMU with Zelda BotW at 1080p with 20-30 FPS average in the latest build. It manages to maintain that rate a lot better now.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering when this thread would start up. I've been pretty happy with my Acer Predator 17 (mine has a 6700 i7 instead of a 7700 One). Only issue I've had is occasionally when I try to wake it up from sleep mode the screen won't turn on.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any tangible reason why the Alienware gaming laptops are so much more expensive than say .. the Dell Insipiron one's even though they're similar specs (in some cases Alienware's are selling for a much higher price w/ lower specs). I never understood this ..

for example this:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-15/spd/alienware-15-laptop/dkcwkblf011ss

It has the same i5 as my laptop, only a paltry 2GB 1050 Ti, same 2400mhz 8GB RAM. The only major difference is it comes with a 1TB 7200RPM HDD and it's selling for $1249.

Where as my inspiron model officially sells for $899 and I picked it up from Costco at $699. It has the same i5, 6GB 1060 Max Q, same RAM and came with a 256GB SSD by default.

edit: ok the Alienware has GSync .. but I still don't see why it costs so much higher.

What's up with this disparity ?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
K. Jack is on ERA, and he did the Laptop threads in the old country. He's bound to make one in the future so keep an eye out for it.

Yeah, I can't wait for Tizoc to step up to the plate on ERA.

I'll be in the market over the next year and that dude's hot-takes are absolute gold.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pissed I missed that 7577 deal -- I'm in the market for a gaming laptop that's 600-750 dollars and that looks like a steal.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pissed I missed that 7577 deal -- I'm in the market for a gaming laptop that's 600-750 dollars and that looks like a steal.

Yep. I had multiple moments of panic cause the laptops kept going out of stock. It was an incredible deal especially for a model that's come out so recently.

Also, decided to clean install Win 10 on the laptop and man I love a completely free and snappy computer. I've noticed that the after a clean install with no bloatware, average CPU usage when idling has dropped to 1% (previously with all the Dell bloatware it was idling around 5~6% even when literally nothing is on and I'm just looking at the task manager) .

Nov 20, 2017
I have a barebones MSI 15" laptop equipped with a delidded 7700k socketed desktop cpu OC'd to 4.9 Ghz with a socketed 1080 GTX gpu.

It's tricky to keep her cool, but she is a full on beast!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Great deal OP.

In the market for one soon myself.

Though more for game making then playing.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
With just a few tweaks and with a big majority of settings still on high or ultra and dynamic scaling enabled to the default 20%, able to get a near solid 60 FPS in Gears 4. I'm not sure what the deal with it saying that only 5 GB of my 6GB VRAM is available .... anyone know what's up with that ?

gearsofwar41_4_20189_nipa8.png

Last edited:

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any tangible reason why the Alienware gaming laptops are so much more expensive than say .. the Dell Insipiron one's even though they're similar specs (in some cases Alienware's are selling for a much higher price w/ lower specs). I never understood this ..

for example this:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-15/spd/alienware-15-laptop/dkcwkblf011ss

It has the same i5 as my laptop, only a paltry 2GB 1050 Ti, same 2400mhz 8GB RAM. The only major difference is it comes with a 1TB 7200RPM HDD and it's selling for $1249.

Where as my inspiron model officially sells for $899 and I picked it up from Costco at $699. It has the same i5, 6GB 1060 Max Q, same RAM and came with a 256GB SSD by default.

edit: ok the Alienware has GSync .. but I still don't see why it costs so much higher.

What's up with this disparity ?
The AW have far superior build quality, some extra options like Tobii and GSync, better quality parts like the screens, are more upgradeable (for example the 15 has 3 M.2 SSD slots and a HDD bay), RGB lights everywhere, and the branding.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread.

My msi stopped charging. The charging light never came on. I have to fix it. And it's dead now. Any suggestions? Is it the cable or battery? Any tips for troubleshooting?

MSI GT72 Dominator G-1667

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Nice.

2.5 years of owning a Lenovo Y50, and today both the Ethernet and Wifi adapters stopped getting detected by the system. Last year the USB ports started acting up and required a driver reinstall after every boot to work. Both of these seem to be common problems with the Y50's motherboard, which sucks.
Still, I'm gonna keep using the laptop with USB dongles until the USB ports die completely. Afterward, gonna have to make a judgement call on whether to get another gaming laptop or get a desktop this time.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. I had multiple moments of panic cause the laptops kept going out of stock. It was an incredible deal especially for a model that's come out so recently.

Also, decided to clean install Win 10 on the laptop and man I love a completely free and snappy computer. I've noticed that the after a clean install with no bloatware, average CPU usage when idling has dropped to 1% (previously with all the Dell bloatware it was idling around 5~6% even when literally nothing is on and I'm just looking at the task manager) .

Found a cheap i7577 on Dell Outlet! Came out to $602 all out after two codes, Ebates cashback, and a Raise.com gift card purchase.

Got any tips prior to my reception of it next week? How did you do the fresh install and all?

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I found an HP omen on an insane clearance for $475.

i7 ???
1050ti
12gb ram

Its slaying all my indies and running games like New Vegas and overwatch at 1080 60

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I found an HP omen on an insane clearance for $475.

i7 ???
1050ti
12gb ram

Its slaying all my indies and running games like New Vegas and overwatch at 1080 60
Found a cheap i7577 on Dell Outlet! Came out to $602 all out after two codes, Ebates cashback, and a Raise.com gift card purchase.

Got any tips prior to my reception of it next week? How did you do the fresh install and all?

Damn. those are two really good deals. 1050Ti might not give the best performance nor is it VR ready but at that price .. it's a fantastic deal and you'll still be able to play all games in 1080p/60 with some careful settings management.

As for the clean install. Windows 10 now has that option built in so no need to make and USB install drives etc.

You just need to go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of windows.

It will bring your windows to factory settings but remove all bloatware that Dell adds. If you're getting the 8GB RAM version, I would highly recommend getting another 8GB stick for both memory increase and to get your system running in dual channel mode which has tangible benefits for gaming.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If you truly want a laptop for gaming you should take one with nothing less than a GTX1070, this GPU will let you play almost everything at 1440p@60 for the foreseeable future. -There's a catch though, your system might get louder and will probably be a bit biger than the laptops featuring the much slower 1060(which will be fine for simple 1080p gaming if you're not too picky about playing at 60fps with very high settings at all times).

Here's a comprehensive list of every mobile GPU benchmarked with different benchmarks

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If you truly want a laptop for gaming you should take one with nothing less than a GTX1070, this GPU will let you play almost everything at 1440p@60 for the foreseeable future. -There's a catch though, your system might get louder and will probably be a bit biger than the laptops featuring the much slower 1060(which will be fine for simple 1080p gaming if you're not too picky about playing at 60fps with very high settings at all times).

It depends on the games optimization too. I finished Gears of War 4 at 1440p/60 on my 1060 Max Q and most settings were on high with the dynamic downscaling enabled upto 20% (recommended default).

Quantum Break on the flip side .. is a massive performance hog and I can't play it on anything past 1080p (w/ upscaling on no less) to get a solid 60 FPS.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It depends on the games optimization too. I finished Gears of War 4 at 1440p/60 on my 1060 Max Q and all settings were on high with the dynamic downscaling enabled upto 20% (recommended default).

Quantum Break on the flip side .. is a massive performance hog and I can't play it on anything past 1080p (w/ upscaling on no less) to get a solid 60 FPS.
Yeah well, the 1060 is a capable gpu, it consumes less power and runs cooler so I see why one would get a laptop with it instead of a 1070. And of course it always depends on optimization, there are some really badly optimized games out there, try your luck with Hellblade for example, I fear you will struggle to reach 60FPS at 1080p with the mobile 1060.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the market for midrange gaming laptop (~$1000) but I feel I may as well wait for ces to see what's new unless there are some great deals to be had now? Probably mostly just be used for LoL, CS, Overwatch, WoW etc.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the market for midrange gaming laptop (~$1000) but I feel I may as well wait for ces to see what's new unless there are some great deals to be had now? Probably mostly just be used for LoL, CS, Overwatch, WoW etc.

Keep an eye on this page.

You can get a refurbished/small scratch i7577 for $650-post tax after codes. Wait to see (refresh every 20 minutes at the link above) if another one pops up at $765 today and use 15Inspiron and generate a code from https://refer.delloutlet.com/. Use Ebates too for an additional 8% off. Buy a $500 Dell gift card from Raise.com to get up to 6% off $500 worth of currency. I did all of this and got a model that retails for $1,000 for $602.

It's a lot for money off, but a SWEET deal if you can catch one.

Oct 25, 2017
Keep an eye on this page.

You can get a refurbished/small scratch i7577 for $650-post tax after codes. Wait to see (refresh every 20 minutes at the link above) if another one pops up at $765 today and use 15Inspiron and generate a code from https://refer.delloutlet.com/. Use Ebates too for an additional 8% off. Buy a $500 Dell gift card from Raise.com to get up to 6% off $500 worth of currency. I did all of this and got a model that retails for $1,000 for $602.

It's a lot for money off, but a SWEET deal if you can catch one.

Wow crazy deal. I haven't owned a dell since the 90s when they were super popular and had those dude your getting a dell ads lol. How are they in terms of gaming laptops? I've only had asus and msi gaming laptops. I dunno wtf is going on with asus nowadays it seems all there rog laptops now overheat looking at reviews. The msi one I had was good and stayed cool though. No complaints there

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Remember that Max-Q GPUs are even further cut-down versions. They are kind of like the "M" GPUs of this generation.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking for a laptop that I can use for school/work that can also do some gaming. My budget is around $1500. I was looking at the Razer Blade 14", since it's on sale on Amazon for like $1600 at the moment. Probably gonna have to cover the logo with a skin if I get it though, lol

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Wow crazy deal. I haven't owned a dell since the 90s when they were super popular and had those dude your getting a dell ads lol. How are they in terms of gaming laptops? I've only had asus and msi gaming laptops. I dunno wtf is going on with asus nowadays it seems all there rog laptops now overheat looking at reviews. The msi one I had was good and stayed cool though. No complaints there
The 7577 has had great reviews from all indications -- it's a lot in a laptop for a good value.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that Max-Q GPUs are even further cut-down versions. They are kind of like the "M" GPUs of this generation.

They're not cut down in any way besides their clocks being tuned a little lower than the full laptop 10xx series cards (which you can retain via overclocking anyway). Other then that they have the same memory, same speed, same number of CUDA cores etc.

The difference in these max Q seem to get lesser as you go down the power ladder. A lot of places peg the 1080 max Q as being more closer to a desktop 1070 than either a desktop/laptop 1080. While the 1060 Max Q shows only a 8~ percent difference from it's full laptop counterpart in both synthetic benchmarks and real world examples with gaming performance. (as per DF and other sources).

They're great for reducing form factors and making gaming laptops more affordable than before, which is nice.

The 7577 has had great reviews from all indications -- it's a lot in a laptop for a good value.

Yep. For the price to performance ratio, you can't go wrong with it.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
I received a Yoga 510 with a Core i3, 8gb DDR4, 128gb SSD (going to upgrade soon) and Radeon R5 m430 2gb for Father's day last year. Nothing flash, but it offered a lot of bang for buck and is a 2-in-1 with a very nice keyboard. This features were more important than graphical performance is I already have a gaming PC. I find it works well for older games and Indies. The flashiest thing I've run on it is probably Tropico 5.

The biggest PITA is getting GPU drivers for Linux, and switching between the Intel HD630 and the AMD graphics.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I currently have an 860M Sager. It works well enough for me (runs FFXIV pretty well as well as most non-gaming tasks) but I've wound up buying most recent (and more graphically demanding) game releases on the PS4 because I've found performance lacking on the 860M.

Really tempted to pick up one of these PowerSpec 1510 for $1300+tax at Microcenter. Hard to beat the price for a GTX 1070 and a Gsync display and heard these are based on a Clevo chassis. At the same time not sure how close we are to the next gen Nvidia cards showing up (though I suspect the laptop cards will show up at least a few months after the desktop ones). Think I might pull the trigger on one of these sooner rather than later though. Starting a new (busy) job in a few months and would like to get a little bit of time to enjoy some high quality PC gaming before then.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I have an MSI Gp62MVR 7RF Leopard Pro to give its full easy to remember name

i7-7700HQ Cpu
3gb 1060
16gb ram

Kind of wish I hadn't cheaped out and spent the extra 100 or so dollars to get the 6gb 1060 but so far the laptop has held up very well. Has run most things I have thrown at it well and I don't have a 4k screen anyway so 1080 is likely to be as high as I need for a few years.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I know they aren't made for this specifically, but I'm curious to see if anyone is using a MacBook Pro to game with. Perhaps via boot camp and/or an external GPU.

How is the performance and experience with all that?

Nov 4, 2017
I know they aren't made for this specifically, but I'm curious to see if anyone is using a MacBook Pro to game with. Perhaps via boot camp and/or an external GPU.

How is the performance and experience with all that?
Depends on the MacBook. Modern Intel HD Graphics can run GTAV (albeit at very low settings/resolution with frame issues). MacBooks often habe pretty low-end specs though, and the Pro is a a laughably un-pro device in terms of raw power.

Otherwise, you should be perfectly fine for some some classic gaming, indies, 2D or modern games on very low settings.

Edit: I have an old MacBook Pro (2.4ghz core 2, 8gb RAM, GeForce 320m). I used to play Diablo 3 and a few other things on it. It wasn't great but better than nothing.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
If you're getting the 8GB RAM version, I would highly recommend getting another 8GB stick for both memory increase and to get your system running in dual channel mode which has tangible benefits for gaming.

Which RAM stick did you end up rolling with? Gonna shop around tomorrow but a recommendation would be nice.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the MacBook. Modern Intel HD Graphics can run GTAV (albeit at very low settings/resolution with frame issues). MacBooks often habe pretty low-end specs though, and the Pro is a a laughably un-pro device in terms of raw power.

Otherwise, you should be perfectly fine for some some classic gaming, indies, 2D or modern games on very low settings.

Edit: I have an old MacBook Pro (2.4ghz core 2, 8gb RAM, GeForce 320m). I used to play Diablo 3 and a few other things on it. It wasn't great but better than nothing.

Thanks for the insight! I figured it wouldn't have been a great experience. Hopefully the refresh coming in a few months will use that new Intel/Vega chipset that was just announced!

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for the insight! I figured it wouldn't have been a great experience. Hopefully the refresh coming in a few months will use that new Intel/Vega chipset that was just announced!
No worries. There are quite a few games that have native Mac support in Steam now, but last time I played a game in OSX they were using a very old version of OpenGL which held back the graphics when comparing the same game under Win7 using BootCamp. I'm not sure if they fixed this. You can still have plenty of fun so long as you're not expecting AAA games in 1080p60.

The Intel/Vega chips should definitely be interesting. Apple don't typically use cutting edge stuff running at full speed; so it might take a couple of refreshes for the new chips to appear. It will definitely be a good day for Mac gamers when they filter through though.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Which RAM stick did you end up rolling with? Gonna shop around tomorrow but a recommendation would be nice.

Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400mh. The laptop ships with an 8GB 2400mhz stick in it, so they're the same frequency.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/CT9903616

Also, which flavor of the 7577 are you getting ? The one with the SSD + 1TB HDD combination or just the SSD or just HDD ?

Psh, my alienware 13r3 1060 boosts over 2000mhz.

Well .. ok I'm guessing that's a full 1060 not a max Q one :P

Also that probably answers my earlier question why the alienware laptops are more expensive .. more OC potential I guess.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400mh. The laptop ships with an 8GB 2400mhz stick in it, so they're the same frequency.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/CT9903616

Also, which flavor of the 7577 are you getting ? The one with the SSD + 1TB HDD combination or just the SSD or just HDD ?

Thanks! Will grab that eventually.

I got the one with the SSD + 1TB combo.

However, I see that a Refurbished version with just the 256GB is available for $765 on Dell Outlet. If anyone's reading this, the 15Inspiron code still works. Do Ebates + that code + a code from refer.delloutlook.com + buy a $500 gift card from Raise.com.

Should get the i7577 for like $530 or so after everything, lol.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
So I was looking into getting a new gaming laptop soon, and was also wanting to get into VR. I'd mostly be using this laptop for gaming, school, some photoshopping, and watching movies.

These are the type of games I would play:
  • Skyrim SE/VR
  • Fallout 4/VR
  • The Sims 1-3; maybe 4 sometimes
  • SimCity 4
  • Cities Skyline
  • Civilization V/VI
  • Rimworld
  • Universe Sandbox
  • PUBG
  • Cemu
  • New VR games that would be releasing
This is the laptop bundle that I'd be looking at.
801cdfc9-cee5-4488-9bprgl.jpeg

• Bundle includes HTC VIVE Virtual Reality System and Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop

• System: Intel i7-7700HQ Processor (Up to 3.8GHz) | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB SSD

• Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM

• 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen IPS display

Is it a good deal performance and money wise, or do you guys have any other recommendations?

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I don't really know where to ask this, but this looks like the right place

My laptop: lenovo ideapad 510
specs: i5 7200u
8GB ram
Geforce 940MX (4GB)

My issue:

SFV (last beta) was running absolutely fine for many hours during the whole time, at 1080p, at 720p, I could even crank up scaling to around 100, no issues whatsoever (everything else on low though iirc).

So I bought the full game and it runs like shit honestly, 720p, everything on low and even with scaling set to 50 I get slowdowns, if I set it above 50, say 52 it'll run ok for about 15 minutes and then will start to run in slow-motion (around 30fps) until I reduce scaling back to 50 - and even then I get occasional slowdowns.

So 2 questions, is this just bad "optimization" compared to the beta (in which case I don't understand why, as that ran absolutely fine) and what could I possibly do to improve performance - I'm already using a laptop cooler, which is super effective for other games, but the laptop doesn't even run that hot while playing SFV. Are there any settings in nvidia control panel that I can tweak, should I try with MSI Afterburner or similar?

(already downloaded and installed Afterburner, but it seems daunting, I overclocked core and memory frequency a little bit, but it doesn't seem to help much, gpu temperature is at around 63C, just like in most other games btw)

Last edited:
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. What's the best way to lock frame rates to arbitrary values like .. say 48 FPS and such.

I know if the display device supports that refresh rate, you can just set that in the display settings and turn v-sync on to get locked to it but is there a software or a way from the Nvidia control panel to manually set frame rates ? Adaptive v sync is not an option for me as it apparently is not supported by the Max Q 1060 (not present in the control panel).