• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
You can blame Microsoft for that. They specifically locked the adapter down with propriety protocols which are not available anywhere else.

There are attempts to get it working by reverse engineering, but it's not there yet.
The XBOX ONE S controllers work in raw run off the mill bluetooth these days.
Even the XBOX bros are fed up having to keep the dongle around.
So they are slowly dropping it because even on their own customer base people are fed up with that shit.
I'm about to receive that baby
unknown.png

I'll see how Ubuntu sees it but the design lab does precise in multiple places that those controllers do work with raw uncrypted bluetooth.
Sooo normally Ubuntu should pick it up just fine.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is there a way to set the proton version per game? I want to use the latest beta for GTA V since it works out of the box there but I want to use the stable version for the rest of the games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA V works now? Very cool.
It has worked since Proton launched, you just needed to install corefonts to get past the launcher.

The most recent version of Proton includes corefonts, so it works out the box.

Is there a way to set the proton version per game? I want to use the latest beta for GTA V since it works out of the box there but I want to use the stable version for the rest of the games.

Hm, not that I know of from the Steam UI. There is also a feature request for this over on github.

You could probably do it from the command line though. Both versions of Proton should be installed on your system in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common, so maybe it'll work if you can point GTA V to the right one. Not ideal though.

I'll try and play around to see if I can figure something out.

Last edited:

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Can someone remind me which is the Nvidia driver version with stream output support?

Shaldome

Oct 27, 2017
Aachen. Germany
Only issue left for me on Manjaro Linux is Sound via HDMI to my receiver. After booting to desktop it works fine playing YouTube videos. Then after the next video starts, no more sound and I am unable to get it working again without restarting.
NVIDIA card with the then latest available proprietary drivers.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Nappael What filesystem do you recommend for an additional hard drive? /home is gonna be ext4 because dropbox but since dropbox is gonna sit there I'm free to use any filesystem for /hdd. What would you use?

And thanks for all the help :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nappael What filesystem do you recommend for an additional hard drive? /home is gonna be ext4 because dropbox but since dropbox is gonna sit there I'm free to use any filesystem for /hdd. What would you use?

And thanks for all the help :)
Filesystem choices are a bit beyond what I normally care about :P.

Ext4 is a good stable basic option and what I use on my laptop and home PC, but here's my knowledge on other file systems:

- I think we use XFS at work (I'll be able to double check tomorrow). Can perform faster than Ext4, particularly when dealing with a lot of very large files. I think it also has some basic snapshot support, but comes with some downsides (some games have problems with it, pain in the ass to resize).
- Btrfs has a tonne of potential advantages like much better snapshotting (backups), fast compression, good performance when dealing with many small files, but has been unstable for a long time. Should be more stable now but I haven't used it.
- ZFS has a bunch of stuff to prevent data loss/corruption, one of the "next generation" filesystems like btrfs but generally a lot more stable as far as I know.

Stuff like ReiserFS and JFS isn't very well maintained these days apparently.

If any of this is false then I hope someone else shows up to correct me.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Filesystem choices are a bit beyond what I normally care about :P.

Ext4 is a good stable basic option and what I use on my laptop and home PC, but here's my knowledge on other file systems:

- I think we use XFS at work (I'll be able to double check tomorrow). Can perform faster than Ext4, particularly when dealing with a lot of very large files. I think it also has some basic snapshot support, but comes with some downsides (some games have problems with it, pain in the ass to resize).
- Btrfs has a tonne of potential advantages like much better snapshotting (backups), fast compression, good performance when dealing with many small files, but has been unstable for a long time. Should be more stable now but I haven't used it.
- ZFS has a bunch of stuff to prevent data loss/corruption, one of the "next generation" filesystems like btrfs but generally a lot more stable as far as I know.

Stuff like ReiserFS and JFS isn't very well maintained these days apparently.

If any of this is false then I hope someone else shows up to correct me.
I guess I'll stick with ext4 then!

I'm gonna try to have a proper dual boot setup on my desktop PC now.
This is the idea taking advantage of my absurd number of drives:
  • Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB M.2 NVMe SSD -> Linux goes here
  • Samsung 750 EVO 500 GB SATA SSD -> Windows goes here
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD 7200 RPM -> Formatted as NTFS for Windows
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD 7200 RPM -> Formatted as ext4 for Linux
What do you think? The idea is to use Windows only for games that don't work on Linux, and Linux for everything else.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good to me.

Talking of filesystems. Today I woke up to a completely borked ext4 system. My first since setting this laptop up. Terminal was reporting it as read only and then when I rebooted I got stuck at BusyBox and an initramfs prompt.

A simple fsck and everything was back up and running again. I can go back to work and sucking at Shadowverse.

Last edited:

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
The XBOX ONE S controllers work in raw run off the mill bluetooth these days.
Even the XBOX bros are fed up having to keep the dongle around.
So they are slowly dropping it because even on their own customer base people are fed up with that shit.
I'm about to receive that baby
unknown.png

I'll see how Ubuntu sees it but the design lab does precise in multiple places that those controllers do work with raw uncrypted bluetooth.
Sooo normally Ubuntu should pick it up just fine.
I've had so much trouble with bluetooth xbone controllers. The connection is choppy to the bluetooth dongle (I've purchased multiple dongles trying to figure this out) and requires that I keep the controller within a couple of inches of the dongle.

I assume the the controller is stuck in the lowest of low energy modes.

I eventually gave up and just ran it wired.

Anyone have any ideas?

NCLI

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I guess I'll stick with ext4 then!

I'm gonna try to have a proper dual boot setup on my desktop PC now.
This is the idea taking advantage of my absurd number of drives:
  • Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB M.2 NVMe SSD -> Linux goes here
  • Samsung 750 EVO 500 GB SATA SSD -> Windows goes here
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD 7200 RPM -> Formatted as NTFS for Windows
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD 7200 RPM -> Formatted as ext4 for Linux
What do you think? The idea is to use Windows only for games that don't work on Linux, and Linux for everything else.
I'd go with ZFS. It has a lot of advantages over EXT4, including built-in compression, allowing you to have more files on the drive, as well as checksums to ensure data integrity. It does mean using additional CPU time when reading and writing, but it's pretty minuscule, and you can disable it if you don't want it. ZFS also makes it easy to string more drives together later on, if you get additional storage drives, to make them work as a single drive. If one of those drives die, you will only lose the data on that drive. If you care a lot about the data, it allows you to set up mirroring as well.

It's an amazing filesystem, and should be the obvious choice for Ubuntu users until Bcachefs becomes more usable.

Last edited:

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
lmao I just had a funny glitch playing Dark Souls 3. I turned off my monitor which apparently made Ubuntu lock the screen (or it was just innactivity idk) and when I returned Ubuntu was on the lockscreen but the game was still displaying and was fully functional. I noticed because the screen kept going to sleep every few seconds despite my gamepad inputs, and also the cursor was visible. I had to enter my password blindly and press enter, then the cursor disappeared and the screen stopped going to sleep. Apparently Ubuntu was unable of drawing the lockscreen over the game. Pretty funny

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Can anyone tell me how to fix the issue where the game will not allow me to choose 1080P. I am having this issue with DQXI, I have had it for a while now, just have not figured out how to correct the issue.

Edit: I figured out how to edit the config file.
But now my game sound is acting weird. Sounds staticy.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me how to fix the issue where the game will not allow me to choose 1080P. I am having this issue with DQXI, I have had it for a while now, just have not figured out how to correct the issue.

Edit: I figured out how to edit the config file.
But now my game sound is acting weird. Sounds staticy.
Can you try adding PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=120 to the launch options?

According to protondb, that's often recommended to fix audio issues.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Anyone here going to attempt Darksiders 3, I am curious if it will perform well enough for me to play 1080/60 on day one.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It seems the Battletech Linux port is making progress. Steam is currently downloading about 8GB of files over the previous Linux "installation" which was pretty much just an empty folder.

Found this in their news feed:
Linux Beta update: The Linux Beta along with fixes and updates has been integrated with the main game version and is available on Steam, GOG, and Humble!

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And apparently this has also made IO less interested in working with Feral on a native Linux version.

It's more games for Linux which is great, but I guess this is the kind of unfortunate side effect you get with Proton. Feral have more time to work on porting some other game though I guess which is good.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I get the argument that it's better to have native linux games, but at some level I'm ok with developers targeting Proton and Vulkan for a more stable windows API/interface/whatever than windows itself.

Is that weird?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where have they said this?
Nevermind. I was remembering a discussion on Reddit which included links to IOI comments, but just now when I went back to find it - it turns out it was just a super pessimistic take on basically the same comment from the IO dev.

A bunch of worthless speculation, sorry.

I get the argument that it's better to have native linux games, but at some level I'm ok with developers targeting Proton and Vulkan for a more stable windows API/interface/whatever than windows itself.

Is that weird?

It's not weird. The problem is that if developers just target Proton, Linux gaming will end up being always being both dependent on Windows (since they are Windows games first and foremost), and consistently one step behind (unless developers only use cross platform tools, which isn't likely) since a lot of developers on Windows use a lot of Microsoft API's like DirectX, and new versions will always break compatibility.

That's why even though I'm okay with Proton being a thing, I'll always prefer native.

What I am hopeful of is that as Proton becomes a bigger deal, developers try to move away from things like DirectX or WMF and move towards tools which give better Linux performance (or work at all in WMF's case).

Last edited:

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Nevermind. I was remembering a discussion on Reddit which included links to IOI comments, but just now when I went back to find it - it turns out it was just a super pessimistic take on basically the same comment from the IO dev.

A bunch of worthless speculation, sorry.
Ah, that's good then. Glad to hear that they haven't at least closed the door on that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Artifact is out and runs brilliantly on Linux.

Intel users might want to be aware though that this is the first Valve game to require Vulkan. No OpenGL here. You'll want to install the Mesa Vulkan driver package from your distro repositories before you play if you haven't already.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I had assumed developing a Linux version of SFV was a way for Capcom to get the game to arcades without being beholden to Sony or Microsoft for PS4 hardware or Windows respectively.

God knows what the current location test machines are running on, though. Probably Windows.

I had assumed developing a Linux version of SFV was a way for Capcom to get the game to arcades without being beholden to Sony or Microsoft for PS4 hardware or Windows respectively.

God knows what the current location test machines are running on, though. Probably Windows.
It's literally the regular PC version with no modifications iirc. They did announce a Linux version officially. Idk what happened. Hope Sony didn't block it because of the whole steam machine thing.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cinnamon doesn't look half bad since the last time I checked it. Will keep it installed until 4.0 makes it to testing

desktop.png

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Of the games I have tried that didn't work with proton, I've noticed many of them have a similar mode of failure. The game is working, then it goes to play a video file, and the screen goes black or the whole game crashes. Any ideas?

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Of the games I have tried that didn't work with proton, I've noticed many of them have a similar mode of failure. The game is working, then it goes to play a video file, and the screen goes black or the whole game crashes. Any ideas?
What games, for example? I imagine bink videos will work just fine, but anything beyond that is probably anyone's guess.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
What games, for example? I imagine bink videos will work just fine, but anything beyond that is probably anyone's guess.

It was all older games, now that I think about it. Gothic one did it. And lok soul reaver one did it. In both of those cases, I could hear audio from the video file playing, and the game continued fine otherwise. I'm trying to think of one that actually crashed... I know it was more than one. I should look later, I don't want to cite the wrong games from memory. I'll try again soon. I definitely haven't seen anyone else complaining about the same thing. So it might be something with my setup.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It was all older games, now that I think about it. Gothic one did it. And lok soul reaver one did it. In both of those cases, I could hear audio from the video file playing, and the game continued fine otherwise. I'm trying to think of one that actually crashed... I know it was more than one. I should look later, I don't want to cite the wrong games from memory. I'll try again soon. I definitely haven't seen anyone else complaining about the same thing. So it might be something with my setup.
That's because the game is trying to play a .wmv video. I don't know if it's fixable

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if something like the fluendo codecs will fix wmv issues? How does proton access the platform video decoders?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh. I'm going to go back and check in the folders and see if all those games were trying to play wmvs. Thanks for the lead!

Yeah this is the same thing that stops DMC HD Collection from being playable. It attempts to load the cutscenes in WMV format and just nopes out.

Would it be possible to make a workaround in Proton/Wine to push the video files to an external video player that can play the files or something?

Edit: Woops, just read riverfr0zens reply, thanks for the info!

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
In the case of DMC HD Collection, you can move or delete the WMVs to skip the crash, but it seems a new, unrelated crash was introduced in DMC 3 while playing as Dante (you can still play as Vergil oddly enough). Also, I don't think I've ever been able to load DMC 1 from the collection, while DMC 2 seems to run flawlessly (sans prerendered video). Too bad it's the least desirable game of the bunch.

On a somewhat related note, the bugs that kept DXVK from initializing in Resident Evil 7 have been fixed, meaning Devil May Cry 5 could have day one compatibility as it uses the same engine. Of course, there are other bugs in WINE crashing RE 7, so DMC 5 may run into the same issues.

In any case, I hope these more obvious issues that affect a variety of titles can be tackled in short order so we can get them up to Platinum, whitelist them, and then focus on the weird corner cases. Of course, invasive anticheat and DRM are probably going to be problems no matter what we do.

Last edited: