• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Announcing Open Source of WPF, Windows Forms, and WinUI at Microsoft Connect(); 2018

Looks like parts of .Net Framework are going open source. Could be a good thing for wine-mono.
WPF is really interesting. There are a few projects which are Windows only that have expressed an interest in doing a Linux release, but since WPF only supports Windows they haven't thought it worth the time to port it over to something like Avalonia. The Xenko game engine is one such project (although their build system would also need work).

I imagine some third party will be trying to get WPF working on Linux now, so maybe these projects could have a better chance of coming over too.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Heh. And then there is this (Re: Her Story):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/1734336452575505938/?ctp=14#c1734336452581104687

No, it's not that. It's because the dev used some third-party Unity plugin to render the video to a texture rather than using Unity directly. Whatever non-standard thing that plugin does is a mystery.

It's why there's no native Linux version, too. The plugin author can't be bothered to make a version that works on Linux, and the dev can't be bothered to do it in a way that doesn't use that plugin.

Dammit xD

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Valve has an exit strategy from Windows in place because this launcher situation is becoming worse by the minute.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Valve has an exit strategy from Windows in place because this launcher situation is becoming worse by the minute.

I was just thinking about this, and the only apt comparison I can think of is Netflix vs the rest of the streaming services.

After they saw multiple companies take their content to their own streaming platforms, Netflix began to pump out their own Originals at an alarming rate and at a very high quality to keep their platform viable to the others, albeit at the expense of huge amounts of debt lmao.

Is this what Valve must now do? Make a massive push of their own original content only available on Steam to keep the platform viable?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I was just thinking about this, and the only apt comparison I can think of is Netflix vs the rest of the streaming services.

After they saw multiple companies take their content to their own streaming platforms, Netflix began to pump out their own Originals at an alarming rate and at a very high quality to keep their platform viable to the others, albeit at the expense of huge amounts of debt lmao.

Is this what Valve must now do? Make a massive push of their own original content only available on Steam to keep the platform viable?

Maybe, but I don't think that it's enough by itself. I really think that Valve should launch a Linux-based Steambox sooner or later.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

I already see it. Dxvk, sdl2, proton and the rest of their tools are getting in place to undermine direct x; We're already at a point where choosing dx12 over vulkan would demand an explanation. Slowly but surely, 'Linux support' is looking more like portable cross-platform support and just plain sensible. The 'lifeboat' is looking more inviting all the time.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I already see it. Dxvk, sdl2, proton and the rest of their tools are getting in place to undermine direct x; We're already at a point where choosing dx12 over vulkan would demand an explanation. Slowly but surely, 'Linux support' is looking more like portable cross-platform support and just plain sensible. The 'lifeboat' is looking more inviting all the time.

Yup. All the pieces are slowly coming together.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

For the short term I hope they can at least do something about the launcher situation. I keep suggesting they go the route of other game launcher managers (Playnite) that can sync all your games automatically into one place, then combine that with a means of forcing the Steam overlay into Origin games and others that wouldn't normally work with it. So all your games can pop up through Steam and you can have proper controller support for them too.

And maybe if a valve wanted to directly make some money somewhere, they could also introduce generic (non-game-specific) trading cards that you can earn by playing non-steam games, so they can get a cut from people selling them at least.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
For the short term I hope they can at least do something about the launcher situation. I keep suggesting they go the route of other game launcher managers (Playnite) that can sync all your games automatically into one place, then combine that with a means of forcing the Steam overlay into Origin games and others that wouldn't normally work with it. So all your games can pop up through Steam and you can have proper controller support for them too.
So basically an expanded version of the Add Non-Steam Game button. I like it. I know Wine can be used to run the Uplay, Origin and Epic clients and their games, so it could be implemented on Steam Linux as well.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So basically an expanded version of the Add Non-Steam Game button. I like it. I know Wine can be used to run the Uplay, Origin and Epic clients and their games, so it could be implemented on Steam Linux as well.

Yeah, pretty much just Playnite + GloSC functionality through Steam. Seems like it'd be great for being able to use Steam features anywhere, but people tend to show little interest in the idea. I think it could go quite a ways to making comfy couch (and normal) PC gaming more hassle free because you wouldn't have to go through manually setting up games to work with other launchers properly whilst maintaining Steam features. And I feel like there is still some potential there for Valve to try and artificially add market items / cards for non-steam games to help make the feature more worthwhile for them too.

I don't suppose they could even go a step further and let you search for non-Steam games on the Steam store, but you're brought to a Steam web browser page with the web version of the launcher you're buying from. So like you search "Battlefield V" in the Steam store, and the Steam web browser loads into an Origin page for Battlefield V. Although maybe that's going too far; I feel like there could be several things wrong with that.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

And maybe if a valve wanted to directly make some money somewhere, they could also introduce generic (non-game-specific) trading cards that you can earn by playing non-steam games, so they can get a cut from people selling them at least.

If they could do that and then let you install outside launchers and games with proton.... it sounds too good to be true. But a few months ago, proton sounded too good to be true.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If they could do that and then let you install outside launchers and games with proton.... it sounds too good to be true. But a few months ago, proton sounded too good to be true.
All I ask for is for the Uplay that is included on Ubisoft games purchased on Steam to work. Because AC: Origins and Odyssey for example work under Wine/DXVK, it's Uplay what doesn't work and requires workarounds.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the positive news, sound in Recettear finally works properly (most likely not related to the proton update)

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Some newly improved Windows games as of Proton 3.16-5:
  • Max Payne 3 - Game no longer gets stuck trying to initialize Rockstar Social Club
  • The Surge - Invisible geometry has been fixed at the cost of some performance.
  • Dark Sector - Sound finally works. This has been an issue for almost a decade, according to Winedb.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I can see on the horizon a future in which almost all Windows games are fully playable on Linux.

giphy.gif

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
That's going to be nice, but I'm happy that most games available on Windows are playable on Linux. I'm not sure we've ever been able to say that, even when D3D 9 was the dominant API and WINE was getting a decent implementation. That's not even mentioning how brain-dead easy Proton's Steam integration has made things.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That's not even mentioning how brain-dead easy Proton's Steam integration has made things.

That's the key in my opinion. I've said many times in the past that I expect Valve to eventually launch an official Steambox. Back in 2013 that wasn't an attractive proposition since compatibility was pretty bad. But a Linux-based console/PC hybrid that plays most Windows games out of the box in an way that is pain-free for the average user? Now that would be a solid product.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lutris can now automatically fetch GOG installers for WIndows games and begin the installation process.

It's not quite as convenient as having a dedicated client with Proton, but it's good to see improvements being made while GOG refuse to do anything.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden appears to be quite playable on Proton, for those interested in turn-based RPGs.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to fire up lutris this weekend and see how that Gog integration works. I've been neglecting my Gog library. I used to love it back when I still used windows regularly. I don't think I even had steam then.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I am having trouble installing Wine on buddy computer. Running AMD CPU and AMD GPU. I keep getting error, libc6-i386. It is installed and I have been here for many hours now.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I had to give up for the night. I worked on it for many hours and nothing would work. I followed the directions on winehq to the T. But it would tell me I didnt have dependency, install dependency. It would say I didnt have it installed.

I feel bad for my buddy.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
You could try:
dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
if i386 isn't listed:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then try installing wine32 again. If that doesn't work then try:

May I ask why you're trying to create default installation of Wine32 specifically? If it's for a particular program, then creating/managing a prefix for it in Playonlinux or Lutris might be easier and neater.

Last edited:

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I attempted all of that previously. I did try Lutris as well and the program still didn't install.

I tried installing League of Legends and it hung when installing fonts for 30+ minutes. Same script installed on my computer in seconds.

Then steam wouldnt even launch anymore.

I reinstalled Xubuntu on his HDD cause something must have happened.

Tried going through the motions and still recieved libc86-i386 unmet dependency.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Has anyone tried to get Overwatch to run using Proton? I kind of don't want to use Lutris for it anymore.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried to get Overwatch to run using Proton? I kind of don't want to use Lutris for it anymore.
It's probably easier to copy the dist folder of proton to the lutris wine runners folder and then manually set the wine version to proton in the Lutris Runner configure dialog. That's what I did with the GoG version of Hellblade. If you mean doing that through the steam client, I haven't looked it up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, i386?

That should never be causing a problem, something bad must have happened to cause an error like that.

Regardless, :i386 problems are usually fixed by enabling multiarch then installing the relevant libraries, or using the :i386 extension when installing relevant libraries. That should never be needed for Wine, but idk what must have broken to cause that.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I am not sure either. I formatted the ssd and installed Xubuntu. I checked and made sure I had the libs installed, and I do. But it pretends it inst there. I'm at an impasse here, seems others had the same issue online but didnt have a solution to my issue.
Edit: I did enable multiarch

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Does running games and such work well off a USB key? I have a 64 GB and was going to give it a go. I wanted to screw around with Linux at home without adding a new drive/dual boot, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember how I used to talk about GameHub?

Seems it's more stable now. The hanging is still there a little bit, but much reduced. I was also able to get my GOG copy of Gorogoa running with Proton, but the default silent innoextract installation didn't work, just had to disable that and run the installer with wine.

Does running games and such work well off a USB key? I have a 64 GB and was going to give it a go. I wanted to screw around with Linux at home without adding a new drive/dual boot, etc.
A USB key, meaning the Live medium? Not having persistence alone makes that experience sound less than ideal (your changes don't get kept). I can't say I would recommend it. I imagine even if it did somehow work the performance would be less than ideal.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
A USB key, meaning the Live medium? Not having persistence alone makes that experience sound less than ideal (your changes don't get kept). I can't say I would recommend it. I imagine even if it did somehow work the performance would be less than ideal.

Yeah a USB stick. I was going to try a boot able Ubuntu distro or something. Not persistent huh? Well that would not work well if I couldn't save stuff. I was hoping to just screw around without a dual boot or anything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a USB stick. I was going to try a boot able Ubuntu distro or something. Not persistent huh? Well that would not work well if I couldn't save stuff. I was hoping to just screw around without a dual boot or anything.

It *might* be possible to do a full install to the USB drive, but I've never done it before so I can't give you much advice unfortunately. If I were to speculate, I would say that If you had 2 USB's maybe you make one a Live USB, mount the other, and then run through the installation with that second USB as the install location.

There are also a couple of distros which support Live USB persistence (I think MX Linux is one of them), and could be worth a look.

I still cannot guarantee it'll work well, but if you really wanted to go that way that's probably your best bet.

Last edited:

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should just cut off 1.5 TB from my storage non-SSD drive and try to make my machine dual boot?

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Ubuntu supports LiveUSB persistence, but even then file access is slower which can hurt your experience, especially if you're going to try gaming on it. Besides, the 'default' persistent area's size is usually a maximum of 4 GB, so you'd have to do some manual finagling to get it high enough to install anything big.

So yes, setting up a dual-boot is certainly preferable for any thorough testing. I would honestly recommend installing the distro you want to try on a separate drive altogether to avoid having to allocate space that you might want to get back for Windows. Sure, it's not so hard since you just have to boot a LiveUSB with GParted (I'm pretty sure this is included with Ubuntu) and delete the Linux partitions and rescale Windows back up to fill the newly empty space, but being able to just not think about any of that is better in my book.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I'm terrible at managing dual boot systems so I literally just have two drives that I manually connect/disconnect.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Ubuntu supports LiveUSB persistence, but even then file access is slower which can hurt your experience, especially if you're going to try gaming on it. Besides, the 'default' persistent area's size is usually a maximum of 4 GB, so you'd have to do some manual finagling to get it high enough to install anything big.

So yes, setting up a dual-boot is certainly preferable for any thorough testing. I would honestly recommend installing the distro you want to try on a separate drive altogether to avoid having to allocate space that you might want to get back for Windows. Sure, it's not so hard since you just have to boot a LiveUSB with GParted (I'm pretty sure this is included with Ubuntu) and delete the Linux partitions and rescale Windows back up to fill the newly empty space, but being able to just not think about any of that is better in my book.

Could I use an external USB drive? I have a 4TB lying around someplace. I just do not have any space in my machine for a new internal.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
You could use an external USB drive but you'd be limited by all the usual LiveUSB issues including manually setting up a larger than 4 GB persistent file space, which is not fun. Honestly, setting up a dualboot if you have free space on your main internal drive is very easy, it's getting that space back later on that's slightly annoying for newcomers. So considering the options available to you, I would recommend a traditional dual-boot, which the installer in most mainstream distros will help you out with (many just have a simple slider that you drag to decide how much space you want for each OS). Of course, looking up some tutorials or watching some YouTube videos about it to get an idea of what you'll be doing is never a bad idea.

Also, one thing to never forget, even if dual booting is generally safe, always back up any important files before doing anything like this on your main system's main drive.

Shaldome

Oct 27, 2017
Aachen. Germany
Unfortunately I am still having issues with sound over HDMI in my Manjaro installation. Sometimes it works when playing a YouTube video, next video nothing and I am not able to get it working again other then restarting. Other audio outputs work fine. That's with the latest proprietary NVIDIA drivers. For games I haven't any luck at all getting sound to my receiver.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I installed Ubuntu on a usb key from a live medium.
It's slower to load but otherwise perfectly functional and behaves just like any other separate drive as far as I can see. Mine's only 32gigs so not a ton of space for big games or anything, but I didn't have to do anything special to make it go.

You could say it just works.
toddhoward.jpg

Just to be on the safe side I disabled all my internal drives from bios before the install though so that it would be impossible for me mess up the Windows boot manager and that the Linux boot manager would also end up on the correct drive.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm terrible at managing dual boot systems so I literally just have two drives that I manually connect/disconnect.

I've also screwed up dual boots. I get multiple drives now. If it's a laptop, I just pick something. (i pick linux)

At least I have room for an extra drive. And I really like the USB powered external drives they have these days.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
What distro's are you using / you recommend? I've been playing around with Manjaro KDE, Fedora and ElementaryOS in VM's. Ubuntu is the recommended for gaming right? It's just looks so shit, even with the new theme.

Looking for a disto that has good native gaming performace, and one that can do VFIO / GPU passthrough easily for a Windows VM.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
What distro's are you using / you recommend? I've been playing around with Manjaro KDE, Fedora and ElementaryOS in VM's. Ubuntu is the recommended for gaming right? It's just looks so shit, even with the new theme.

Looking for a disto that has good native gaming performace, and one that can do VFIO / GPU passthrough easily for a Windows VM.

You can put what ever desktop you want. I'm using plasma right now on Ubuntu

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is recommended by Valve only because that is what they use internally and can provide support for. The real world gaming performance should be comparable regardless of the distro you are using as long as you are using up to date drivers.

The advantage Ubuntu has is that it's relatively beginner friendly and has a huge community who are willing to help if things go wrong.

You don't need to worry about Ubuntu being ugly, because you can always use one of the other variants like Kubuntu or Xubuntu, or even switch out the DE after (although sometimes this can create some minor bugs in my experience). Standard Ubuntu can even be made to look pretty good with a custom theme if you don't like the default.

My favourite distros right now are Manjaro (KDE) and Ubuntu Budgie, although I've had some weird problems with Ubuntu Budgie 18.10 which weren't there in 18.04. I've also been meaning to play around with Solus but currently need to focus on work so I've not been playing around much.