• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Could something like ffmpeg be used in such a way? I've only ever used the executable to convert stuff on commandline, no idea if it could work in in Proton and stuff. Or if the license allows it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
So I downloaded Catherine...

Seems like it's using .wmv for cutscene playback...
It may be possible to use Lutris or Playonlinux to create a 32-bit prefix and install WMP in it for video playback.

Here's hoping something like Faudio comes along for wmv playback.

Last edited:

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
When I'm using my ps3 controller and have steam open, it starts acting as a mouse if I press the PS button and right analog stick. Any way to disable that? Might be what is causing me problems in some games.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
When I'm using my ps3 controller and have steam open, it starts acting as a mouse if I press the PS button and right analog stick. Any way to disable that? Might be what is causing me problems in some games.
There's a desktop configuration that defaults to mouse and keyboard bindings. You can change the right stick mapping or just disable all the bindings in the settings.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Well this is new to me:

https://github.com/ShadowApex/steamos-ubuntu

Some scripts that will take a fresh Ubuntu install and set it all up like steamos. So it'll get in the steam user setup, the compositor, the all-in-one updates, etc. Plus it installs the session switcher script that lets you get to the normal steam desktop interface easily.

I'm sure no one here is tried it out. I might give it a shot this weekend. The computer hooked up to my TV has mostly been running steamos for the last three here's, but recently the latest brewmaster version seems to be neglected a bit. I'm sure everyone's working on 3.0. but anyhow, I was having bugs in brewmaster that we're getting really annoying so I switch to a desktop distro.

I have installed the compositor and steam OS session on a desktop before. That was okay, but has a few loose ends. yeah, I think I'm going to try this and report back.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys im thinking of buying a gpu today. Thought i would bounce it off yah.

Current situation:

-The tv gaming machine is a new zen build. Except for the 750ti carried over from the one before. Figured ill keep using it till the right thing comes along. Not many graphically intensuve games in linux anyhow, right?

-the dawn of proton has left my 2gb 750ti lacking. :< There were few graphically intensive games before but now i want to play witcher 3 and tekjen and stuff. I'd like it to be better than on my ps4. The 750ti is not enough.

-i want to switch to red because

-im pretty frugal. I paid $110 for that brand new 750ti

-1080p is still 100% sufficient for me

So at best buy across town rn, theres an rx 570 8gb black for $169. Is this my new card? Or could you suggest something better?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not used to US prices, since I'm from the UK.

That said, I looked online and found this. Seems like a pretty good deal for the 4gb one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=8200811&SID=US-001-3331982-000-000000-web-20

Or 8gb: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814930005 Same price as the one you found, but cheaper after rebate and with free games.

The games don't come with Linux versions, but hey maybe they'll work on Proton :D.

Talking of Proton. I tried Bright Memory and it seems to run. Absolutely god awful performance on my laptop though but I half expected that. Interested to see how it'll run on my home PC which should be way more competent.

EDIT: See this on buildapcsales: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16814930005?icid=WP_32_01052019

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not used to US prices, since I'm from the UK.

That said, I looked online and found this. Seems like a pretty good deal for the 4gb one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=8200811&SID=US-001-3331982-000-000000-web-20

Or 8gb: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814930005 Same price as the one you found, but cheaper after rebate and with free games.

The games don't come with Linux versions, but hey maybe they'll work on Proton :D.

Wow holy shit dmc5!!!! If proton doesn't work, someone's going to make it work and i will too. Thanks! With the rebate and just that particular game, this is like under a hundred dollars for me.

Thank you very much! I was thinking other cards but i figured that was the best price for that one. I hadn't considered rebates and bonus games.

I'm gooing to do some more research today and go for it if this is a good card for two years more. In two years i can see what intel comes out with, linux developments, etc and maybe take the plunge with a hotter card and newer zen, and another 8g ram.

Thanks for the help!!! 😗

Edit: After further inspection, i can gwt re2 and dmc and the $20 off from the bb deal as well!

Last edited:

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put all my hopes into the Intel GPU to finally bring some competition to Nvidia's top end, while they hopefully keep supporting the mesa stack as much they do now.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to try this steamos-ubuntu thing today and see how it works. It appears to come with the session-flipping script to use in place of the standard "got to steamos desktop" option. This is cool because you should stay in the steam user session and be able to link stuff in from there, browse game file, etc. At least I hope that's the script they are talking about...

That awful login bug had been a thing on and off for months. And I also had the intermittent bug that resets all settings. :/ That got me to leave steamos for desktop around august when proton came out. But I see an update from plg in the steamos forum stating that the login bug was addressed - right around august.

Hopefully this is pretty cool until 3.0 comes out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DXVK 0.95 just released.

This is the most interesting thing as far as I'm concerned:

Resident Evil 2 Demo: Fixed crash on start.

Apparently there are still some rendering issues, but RE2 should now at least work. AMDGPU-PRO vulkan driver apparently does render the game correctly though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to try this steamos-ubuntu thing today and see how it works. It appears to come with the session-flipping script to use in place of the standard "got to steamos desktop" option. This is cool because you should stay in the steam user session and be able to link stuff in from there, browse game file, etc. At least I hope that's the script they are talking about...

That awful login bug had been a thing on and off for months. And I also had the intermittent bug that resets all settings. :/ That got me to leave steamos for desktop around august when proton came out. But I see an update from plg in the steamos forum stating that the login bug was addressed - right around august.

Hopefully this is pretty cool until 3.0 comes out.

update: doesnt work for me. It does set up the steamos user but the autologin doesnt actually work right; going to the gnome login page instea of straight into the steamos session. Random freezes. :(

Welp i guess ill just reinstall again. :p Damn its going to take like an hour to set everything up.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting note, Devil May Cry 5 uses the same engine as the Resident Evil 2 remake, so as long as this compute shader bug is fixed soon it might run day one with RADV. That bodes well for you and I alike, Crayon. Now if only we could get DXVK working with DMC 4: Special Edition to improve performance and fix that black HUD issue with Vergil and Trish.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting note, Devil May Cry 5 uses the same engine as the Resident Evil 2 remake, so as long as this compute shader bug is fixed soon it might run day one with RADV. That bodes well for you and I alike, Crayon. Now if only we could get DXVK working with DMC 4: Special Edition to improve performance and fix that black HUD issue with Vergil and Trish.

Thats great news. That card napps found for me above comes with re2 and dmcv. :x what a deal.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
3500 working games according to Protondb. Quite impressive. Seems like roughly 5-10 more games confirmed working every day lately.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Okay im hopeless. The 8g 570 at the store also comes with the rebate and the games so i went and got that. 🙂

Got it installed and did a fresh ubuntu 18.04 install after goofing around with that wierd steamos conversion earlier. Think i got everything set up the way i want.

I bought tekken on humble. Going to see how that runs once it finishes downloading!

Edit: update: tekken 7 is a total wreck. Hardly runs. I get the cyan flickering screens. Color is off all around. And performance is really awful.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay im hopeless. The 8g 570 at the store also comes wirh the rebate and the games so i went and got that. 🙂

Got it installed and did a fresh ubuntu 18.04 install after goofing around with that wierd steamos conversion earlier. Think i got everything set up the way i want.

I bought tekken on humble. Going to see how that runs once it finishes downloading!

Edit: update: tekken 7 is a total wreck. Hardly runs. I get the cyan flickering screens. Color is off all around. And performance is really awful.
Have you installed the vulkan drivers and upgraded Mesa to at least 18.3 version?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Padoka PPA and install Mesa Vulkan drivers should fix the issue.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS comes with a pretty old Mesa build.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the help guys. I had been using 18.10 before i started messing around with this yesterday and was probably getting away with a newer, but still out of date mesa driver.

Lets see how it works:

Alright it's great! All visual bugs are gone. Performance is greatly improved and now I'm seeing seeing the initial stutters of the shader cache working where before i had not seen that.

Thanks, everyone! Hopefully someone who's having the same problem will catch this page.

I'm really happy to get tekken working so quickly. I never double dip but ive got a friend who plays on pc and i wanted to play with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know it worked Crayon!

Linux users showing their support for Feral Interactive by baking penguin cookies.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Whew i been playin tekken 7 all day. I really love this game and having it ready to play on linux is awesome. Having a good card is great, too. I'm glad i treated myself to that 570 yesterday because it burns through the performance hit and runs the game better than my ps4.

The+rolling+death+cradle+dood+_d0c7b62d1cc8f520236e35f1cf09d45f.gif

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier:Automata was unplayable on AMD without 18.3 (and probably the main reason why they suggested essentially the git version of the driver at proton's launch)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering. Maybe someone will know.

If you play a game on proton that naturally uses Vulkan, does it talk to the driver directly, or does it still go through a layer like vulkan to vulkan?

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I'm wondering. Maybe someone will know.

If you play a game on proton that naturally uses Vulkan, does it talk to the driver directly, or does it still go through a layer like vulkan to vulkan?

It looks like Wine implements a loader now (whereas previously it required users to install a .dll).

From https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-Own-Vulkan-1
Roderick Colenbrander continues leading the work on Wine's Vulkan support and today published his own vulkan-1 implementation. The approach he's going with for handling the Vulkan loader on Wine is writing his own simplistic loader for the time being that can be easily redistributed as part of Wine itself. Those wanting the more featureful default Vulkan loader that is part of the LunarG Vulkan SDK can continue to download and install it yourself.

This loader library is needed for loading the Vulkan ICD "driver" code written for Wine that in turn interfaces with the host system's Vulkan support. This vulkan-1.dll loader written by Roderick is just about one thousand lines of code as he skipped support for some non-basic features like not supporting multiple installable client drivers (ICDs) and also not supporting Vulkan layers. If you want any extra functionality for now you will need to install the LunarG SDK.

The above is from March, so not sure whether they continued using the "simplistic loader" or if they are packaging the original loader now.

Architecture overview if you want to have a look. From what I can tell as a non-expert, the loader mechanism interfaces directly with the host drivers, so looks to be a pretty minimal layer in the middle, if it is even considered one.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Okay i think i get that. It does take a layer. The paper says a goal is to have negligable performance impact.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Latest Steam client beta:

• Fixed 0-byte downloads getting queued on startup for all Steam Play titles
Finally!

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
*Added gnutls 3 to the Steam Runtime, fixing network connectivity issues in many Steam Play titles

Does this help native Steam Play titles only, or Proton too?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, then there's indicator-cpufreq in Ubuntu distros, don't know about other distros. Mate comes with a cpu applet already, and for GNOME there is cpufreq extension, but I haven't tried it so your YMMV. DOn't know about the other DE's.

I also think newer feral games have that gamemode integrated, and change the cpu governor automatically.

As far as I can tell, the games have gamemode support, meaning you still have to install gamemode.

Speaking of which, I did last night. I then added the launch option to Tekken to request gamemode, and I believe I am getting slightly more stable performance out of my little ryzen 3.

What do you think is a good way to check that the CPU is in performance mode while the game is running? Just minimize it, open a terminal and check? As far as I can tell, it should still be running in performance mode until the game closes and switches it back.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*Added gnutls 3 to the Steam Runtime, fixing network connectivity issues in many Steam Play titles

Does this help native Steam Play titles only, or Proton too?
It could potentially help in some occations ( I remember back in the day having to install both the 32bit and 64bit version of gnutls for battle.net to work properly), although most mainstream distributions ship with it or some equivalent library anyway.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
As far as I can tell, the games have gamemode support, meaning you still have to install gamemode.

Speaking of which, I did last night. I then added the launch option to Tekken to request gamemode, and I believe I am getting slightly more stable performance out of my little ryzen 3.

What do you think is a good way to check that the CPU is in performance mode while the game is running? Just minimize it, open a terminal and check? As far as I can tell, it should still be running in performance mode until the game closes and switches it back.

Ah , yeah you are right. Just now remembering Rise of the Tomb Raider telling me to change the cpu governor.

Think that's a good way. When I played heavy games like Tomb Raider or Shadow of Mordor, I used the indicator, and I had to change it to powersave when I finished playing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Is the CPU governor for Laptop. Should I being using one for my desktop?

I guess the cpu governer is standard on most, maybe all desktop distros. Someone here can surely tell you more. Toast shoed a few tools a few post above.

Game mode is a tool that will turn the cpu from powersave to performance mode and back. You install gamemode and then you add a launch option to request ot for the game. When the game starts, gamemode will adjust the cpu mode, and when the game closes, it will set ot back.

Heres how i setup gamemode:

First i got it from this ppa which should work for all ubuntus:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samoilov-lex/gamemode

Then do the ol' update:

sudo apt-get update

Then add the line to the launch options (in steam) for each game you want to use gamemode:

LD_PRELOAD=$LD_PRELOAD:/usr/\$LIB/libgamemodeauto.so.0 %command%

Voila. Not so tough.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
More success:

I just picked up ori. Dl/install no problem. Took a long time after clicking play for that initial start. Starts to a loadscreen; black screen with ori running in the center. After a minute, that froze.

7200rpm drive. I could hear it not thrashing, but active. I hung around with that frozen looking screen for about two minutes then +bam+ it started up.

Looks perfect. Plays perfect. Proton is amazing.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Thats a great feature. I've got a few linux games where there seems to be a bug that nobody is going to fix. I've wondered about running those in proton.