• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up reformatting SSD and reinstalling Ubunutu. Spent past two nights trying to get Elgato cap card to work. Never did work though, just didn't compile how all the tutorials did. Probably cause I am using a different version of Ubuntu. Also tried Listro and it kept hanging on me while trying to Install T7. Don't know what I did wrong but hopefully the reformat helps. Got really familiar with terminal the last 2 nights. Going to have to research how to use WINE. Listro seems to confusing for what ever reason, I also dont want to create an account to manage a library .

EDIT: Unable to install Steam via WINE. GET NSIS Error. Giving up for the night. Any advice would be nice. :'(
I haven't seen an NSIS error before, but google seems to think it could mean a damaged/corrupt executable. Have you tried redownloading Steam?

Alternatively, I would recommend using Lutris or PlayOnLinux to manage the download and installation of the Windows version of Steam. The only thing you need an account for in Lutris is to download scripts which automate any wine configuration.

I can offer more help soon, but right now I am away from my Linux machine which is making advice difficult.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I'm not very well versed in Linux or getting Windows games under Linux running through WINE, but have you tried Lutris? I get the impression from the YouTube videos and Reddit posts I've seen that Lutris just handles the install of Windows Steam under WINE? Sorry if I've totally misunderstood, very new to this.
I have tried Lutris, but it kept freezing in me. However, I have been scouring the net and found others are having issues with Ubuntu 18.04 freezing on them. I experienced 4 lock ups in the past 2 days I have been configuring it. I am going to look at different distros tonight when i get home from work.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I also googlefu and found corrupted exe. The thing is it worked previously but I canceled the install to mount my other HDD and config winecfg properly. After that it no longer worked. I attempted to redownload and even rebooted. Nothing seemed to work.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have tried Lutris, but it kept freezing in me. However, I have been scouring the net and found others are having issues with Ubuntu 18.04 freezing on them. I experienced 4 lock ups in the past 2 days I have been configuring it. I am going to look at different distros tonight when i get home from work.
Try Mint

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I updated the OP - Now there are recently released games and upcoming games. If there's anything you'd like added, let me know.

In other news, I thought this was interesting. MH World seems to work in Wine with DXVK! Imagine that a couple of years ago.
4i4rp21q94f11.png

Not mine, found on Reddit.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I updated the OP - Now there are recently released games and upcoming games. If there's anything you'd like added, let me know.

In other news, I thought this was interesting. MH World seems to work in Wine with DXVK! Imagine that a couple of years ago.

Not mine, found on Reddit.

This is really great stuff to see, especially this close to launch of MH:W. Part of me hopes that Valve is thinking of adding some form of DXVK based wrapper to all of the Windows offerings on Steam to make them play under Linux with little tweaking from the end user. Maybe have scripts like Lutris that users can vote on and curate, kinda like how they handle Steam Controller configs? Would be great.

As already suggested, I know you've tried formatting Ubuntu, but maybe time to try another distro? Mint or Elementary?

Oct 25, 2017
So actually, that OP has got me thinking. I use Windows but mainly for games compatibility, and that's like... 90% of why haha.

There's a few specific games I'd need to know about, particularly PUBG, how does it run on AMD hardware in Linux? Also AMD works well on Linux to begin with !?!?

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
So actually, that OP has got me thinking. I use Windows but mainly for games compatibility, and that's like... 90% of why haha.

There's a few specific games I'd need to know about, particularly PUBG, how does it run on AMD hardware in Linux? Also AMD works well on Linux to begin with !?!?

AMD's OpenGL support is better than it used to be I believe, but NVIDIA is definitely still the crowned king of performance for OpenGL. Not sure how they both stack up with Vulkan but I'd imagine the gap is closed pretty significantly compared to OpenGL.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A few years ago, AMD were in a bad place when it comes to Linux support, but these days they are great. Arguably ahead of Nvidia, and definitely far ahead when it comes to open source support.

I do not personally play PUBG, but I have heard that that is one of the games which still doesn't particularly play nice with Wine. Not sure if that is still the case.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hm. If PUBG sucks worse on Linux than on Windows that might be a no for me.

From what I gather, PUBG is still very problematic to run under Linux. Something to do with it's anti-cheat system? Bluehole are also now being bankrolled by Microsoft after they teamed up for Xbox One exclusivity, so the chance of a Unix client (Mac or Linux) feels slim to none.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Just finished downloading Linux Mint, I hope this works better than Ubuntu. I have not gamed in a few days and would like to play something tonight.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I haven't seen an NSIS error before, but google seems to think it could mean a damaged/corrupt executable. Have you tried redownloading Steam?

Alternatively, I would recommend using Lutris or PlayOnLinux to manage the download and installation of the Windows version of Steam. The only thing you need an account for in Lutris is to download scripts which automate any wine configuration.

I can offer more help soon, but right now I am away from my Linux machine which is making advice difficult.
I don't know If I am to stupid or what, but when I click on Install Wine Steam this is what it does.
Downloading https://lutris.net/files/runners/wine-staging-3.12-x86_64.tar.gz
It did not install Steam at all. This is starting to get frustrating.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Got my 250GB SSD in over the weekend, threw Antergos on it, installed Lutris, installed the Wine Steam runner and was playing What Remains of Edith Finch all super smooth within an hour or two. That was until I changed the resolution in the settings, which crashed the game and now it won't boot again. Whoops :P

Still very interesting how far we've come with DXVK and Lutris taking the wheel with getting games running under WINE. Will try more throughout the week, think I'm going to try and install Arch from scratch and "roll my own" distro just how I like it. Any recommendations for desktop environment? My brief messing with Gnome was...mediocre at best.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my 250GB SSD in over the weekend, threw Antergos on it, installed Lutris, installed the Wine Steam runner and was playing What Remains of Edith Finch all super smooth within an hour or two. That was until I changed the resolution in the settings, which crashed the game and now it won't boot again. Whoops :P

Still very interesting how far we've come with DXVK and Lutris taking the wheel with getting games running under WINE. Will try more throughout the week, think I'm going to try and install Arch from scratch and "roll my own" distro just how I like it. Any recommendations for desktop environment? My brief messing with Gnome was...mediocre at best.

XFCE or Budgie are my go-to environments. I really... really do not like Gnome.

XFCE if you want easy customisation and something lighter, with everything being modular so you can switch out xfwm for your window manager of choice, or replace XFCE4-panel with something else really easily. Unfortunately, it still suffers with some minor dual screen bugs, and you can get screen tearing issues with the default compositor. This should be fixed in the next version, but XFCE development is... slow. Wish more people supported it.

Budgie if you want something more modern, without those issues, and don't mind sacrificing some easy customisation in the process. It's basically what GNOME3 should have been in my honest opinion.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
So, I ended up returning to Ubuntu 18.04 after trying Linux Mint. Couldn't get Fortnite running on Linux. But some of the other games seem easy to install. Can't change my resolution on game though, it crashes if I do. Can I change Gnome 3 to something else without switching DISTRO?

Edit: I should be googling, sorry for asking dumb ass questions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I ended up returning to Ubuntu 18.04 after trying Linux Mint. Couldn't get Fortnite running on Linux. But some of the other games seem easy to install. Can't change my resolution on game though, it crashes if I do. Can I change Gnome 3 to something else without switching DISTRO?

Very easily. All you need to do is install the desktop environment you want, and then select that environment the next time you log in.

For Ubuntu you can also install the whole desktop of one of the other variants. For example by doing sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop (or installing it through the software program).

Nov 4, 2017

As per the instructions from Nappael it is very easy to have multiple DEs side by side. This can be particularly useful for a convertible laptop, where you might want one environment for when you're using it as a tablet and another as a laptop.

If you're shopping for a new desktop, I love Xfce. It's very clean and minimalistic.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
As per the instructions from Nappael it is very easy to have multiple DEs side by side. This can be particularly useful for a convertible laptop, where you might want one environment for when you're using it as a tablet and another as a laptop.

If you're shopping for a new desktop, I love Xfce. It's very clean and minimalistic.
I notice Gnome freezes quite a bit, I was watching Twitch and the top portion became blackedout. Lot's of glitches. I am starting to wonder if it is just my setup. Going to try Xfce.

Edit: Not sure if it is placebo , Xfce already feels more responsive.

Last edited:

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Usually I try to avoid wine for Windows games and just use my windows VM (and passthrough my second GPU to it.)

I have tried using DXVK a couple of times, but it doesn't really work that well with Witcher 3 yet, which i think might be the only DX11 game I own.

I haven't tried using Lutris, though...

Nov 4, 2017
I notice Gnome freezes quite a bit, I was watching Twitch and the top portion became blackedout. Lot's of glitches. I am starting to wonder if it is just my setup. Going to try Xfce.

Edit: Not sure if it is placebo , Xfce already feels more responsive.
Xfce has one of the lowest memory footprints whereas I think Gnome has one of the largest. All those pretty shaders and transparency effects come at a cost. I'm surprised it's giving you so much drama though; Gnome tends to be pretty solid from my experience. What kind of hardware are you running?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this will automatically wrap non-Linux games in whatever compatibility layers are needed and allow them to be launched from the native Linux Steam client?
That's my understanding, yeah. No need for 2 versions of Steam any more.

I don't know how automatic it would be. I imagine devs won't be preparing Lutris style scripts. Maybe it'll still need some config, but if Lutris works with it that's a non-issue.

Inbuilt ability to download user submitted compatibility scripts would be amazing though.

Last edited:

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea about Lutris, last time I used Wine I was still doing it all manually, and eventually gave up because I couldn't be bothered to put in all that work, and half the time supposedly compatible games wouldn't run properly anyway.

Maybe I can finally play Sonic Mania at some point.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Gtx 970, 4790k, 8Gb Ram, sdd & hdd
I also use Ubuntu 18.04 and I have the same GPU and CPU as you do, but 16 gigs of RAM. Gnome is mostly fine on my machine, but it's a bit slow and buggy for sure. I haven't had any issues with games specifically though, but then I only play native games these days.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Valve is finally adding automatic WINE boxing of games?
This and all the DXVK developments will make the switch so easy.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I also use Ubuntu 18.04 and I have the same GPU and CPU as you do, but 16 gigs of RAM. Gnome is mostly fine on my machine, but it's a bit slow and buggy for sure. I haven't had any issues with games specifically though, but then I only play native games these days.
The only game I really miss is Tekken 7. I tried to run it but it wouldn't work for me. I am going to try to give it a shot again tonight. I mostly used my PC for streaming to twitch, and playing indies. El gato isnt supported on Linix though, and using the 3rd party driver didn't work for me.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
What sort of performance hit is there when using Dxvk for Windows games like Battlefield?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
XFCE or Budgie are my go-to environments. I really... really do not like Gnome.

XFCE if you want easy customisation and something lighter, with everything being modular so you can switch out xfwm for your window manager of choice, or replace XFCE4-panel with something else really easily. Unfortunately, it still suffers with some minor dual screen bugs, and you can get screen tearing issues with the default compositor. This should be fixed in the next version, but XFCE development is... slow. Wish more people supported it.

Budgie if you want something more modern, without those issues, and don't mind sacrificing some easy customisation in the process. It's basically what GNOME3 should have been in my honest opinion.

Awesome, thanks for these recommendations. I think I'll give Budgie a try this week as I'm a bit shallow in the sense that I want something that still looks aesthetically pleasing while being functional.

What sort of performance hit is there when using Dxvk for Windows games like Battlefield?

YMMV, but from my very brief Googling, it seems to run pretty well on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but obviously not as well as on Windows, as to be expected from a game running in a wrapper.

There's also other bugs and issues you'll have to get around, for example there is apparently mouse stutter/wiggle in Battlefield 1? Could be fixed by now, but worth keeping in mind.

Quoting from the Steam thread:

I know this is requested a lot. About time something like this happens.

Yes! This is what I was hoping Valve would do ever since DXVK took off. I hope they put out something similar to the Steam Controller community configuration pages but for DXVK and WINE. Or something that incorporates the configurations found on other tools such as Lutris.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks for these recommendations. I think I'll give Budgie a try this week as I'm a bit shallow in the sense that I want something that still looks aesthetically pleasing while being functional.

XFCE can totally be aesthetically pleasing. The defaults are just rubbish.

I even think the default Xubuntu style is pretty good all things considered.

Last edited:

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
I have a box I use to play games via Steam, and the Steam Controller suffices for that. But I've historically had some pretty terrible luck when it comes to getting other controllers working outside of Steam. A loooong time ago, I used a utility called qjoypad to set up controller mappings and stuff, but I imagine everything's a bit more standardized now.

So I ordered a DualShock 4, and that'll arrive tomorrow evening. I'm hoping that it just magically works (as the archwiki entry on controllers suggests), but if there are any pitfalls I'd appreciate know about them.

Also, are there also more modern utilities for mapping buttons for games? I'm really curious about the possibility for adding custom actions on the DS4 touchpad if that's possible (for instance, map scrolling in civlike games or weapon cycling in shooters). Is this stuff basically easy nowadays?

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I have a box I use to play games via Steam, and the Steam Controller suffices for that. But I've historically had some pretty terrible luck when it comes to getting other controllers working outside of Steam. A loooong time ago, I used a utility called qjoypad to set up controller mappings and stuff, but I imagine everything's a bit more standardized now.

So I ordered a DualShock 4, and that'll arrive tomorrow evening. I'm hoping that it just magically works (as the archwiki entry on controllers suggests), but if there are any pitfalls I'd appreciate know about them.

Also, are there also more modern utilities for mapping buttons for games? I'm really curious about the possibility for adding custom actions on the DS4 touchpad if that's possible (for instance, map scrolling in civlike games or weapon cycling in shooters). Is this stuff basically easy nowadays?

The majority of what you asked can be achieved through the in-built controller configuration in Steam now. Just plug in your controller, and either through Big Picture or the Steam UI, go to the game and select Manage Game -> Controller Configuration (right click if in the Desktop UI). There you can use the default game mappings, create your own mapping from scratch, or search community configurations based on your current controller. It really is one of the areas of Steam that is truly great.

S7P0Nz7.png

mq7epk8qwhysk1hko7ap.jpg

To give you an idea of what is achievable through the tool, I'd suggest watching a YouTube channel called ExistentialEgg. All his tutorials are for mapping to the Steam controller, but they will give you the low down on Action Layers and Action Sets and other advanced concepts for making your own button mappings and layouts.

Last edited:

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of what you asked can be achieved through the in-built controller configuration in Steam now. Just plug in your controller, and either through Big Picture or the Steam UI, go to the game and select Manage Game -> Controller Configuration (right click if in the Desktop UI). There you can use the default game mappings, create your own mapping from scratch, or search community configurations based on your current controller. It really is one of the areas of Steam that is truly great.

To give you an idea of what is achievable through the tool, I'd suggest watching a YouTube channel called ExistentialEgg. All his tutorials are for mapping to the Steam controller, but they will give you the low down on Action Layers and Action Sets and other advanced concepts for making your own button mappings and layouts.

I may have worded my query a bit loosely. I'm asking about controllers working outside the Steam ecosystem. But I do appreciate the channel link.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
There's rumors that the main developer of DXVK is backed by Valve.
No idea if it's true, but it's plausible since he doesn't accept donations nor Patreon for the job, and it looks like a full time job due to the number of commits submitted per day.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Does the official Xbox One wireless receiver work on Linux? Not a bluetooth dongle mind you, the official WiFi Xbox branded receiver which works with the old Xbox One controllers that don't have bluetooth.

This one:

mteyjMF.jpg