• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here tried the Raspberry Pi 4?

Retropie isn't available for it yet, but with the power gain it has over 3, especially with RAM, I was wondering if it would make a decent mini-desktop. I remember the Pi 3 being OK-ish but things weren't as snappy as I wished it to be.

If we put emulators aside, I assume it would run some Steam indies decently?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Considering a while ago I used a Pi B (just pi, not a 2/3/4) with an ARM port of Slackware to do basic web/email stuff, I imagine it might not be terrible, though I would keep it for just that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here tried the Raspberry Pi 4?

Retropie isn't available for it yet, but with the power gain it has over 3, especially with RAM, I was wondering if it would make a decent mini-desktop. I remember the Pi 3 being OK-ish but things weren't as snappy as I wished it to be.

If we put emulators aside, I assume it would run some Steam indies decently?

Steam isn't available on Arm. Only x86. There is an emulation solution for x86, but I don't think you'll get the performance you want out of it to play many games. Steam Link is available on Arm however, if what you want is to use it as a potential streaming box.

The rPi can be good for emulation and FOSS gaming + a few indie ports. We also have a thread on here for rPI gaming that you might want to look into: https://www.resetera.com/threads/raspberry-pi-gaming-thread-emulation-in-the-palm-of-you-hand.442/

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
The Pi 4 should be good for light general desktop computing in the near future once they work out the kinks with the open source graphics drivers. At that point, you should be able to run composited desktop environments like GNOME and Plasma with ease. I'm personally waiting a little while until that is all sorted out.

Alternatively, you can get something beefier like the RockPro64 which has some decent hardware-accelerated builds for emulation and general desktop use. This uses the same chip that's going into the upcoming Pinebook Pro, although it comes in at 60 USD. They've been working directly with the community to get desktop software working well, and they even got Plasma running on the original and much weaker Pinebook. Speaking of which, if you're fine with a weaker chip, you could always grab the PineA64 for 21 USD.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking of which, I ordered my Pinebook Pro this morning. I'm really excited to play around with it, but I am on a 2 month waiting list so it'll be a while until I get the chance to.

With panfrost hopefully being mainlined by then, and a few more distro builds available, I'm hopeful it'll be a good FOSS games, emulation, and basic work laptop.

The RockPro64 makes a lot of sense if all you want is a slightly beefier Pi. Although the normal Arm vs X86 advice applies to all of them if you plan on using it as a desktop.

MekaDragon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone built and compiled PCSX2 from git (latest version)? I build it correctly but refuses to launch.

This is the fragment displayed by the script when trying to run it from the terminal.

Code:
# Avoid to screw up the shell context
DIR=`dirname $current_script`
MY_LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

if [ ! -x "$DIR/PCSX2" ]
then
    echo "Error PCSX2 not found in $DIR"
    echo "Maybe the script was directly 'called'"
    echo "Use either /absolute_path/$me or ./relative_path/$me"
    return 1 # warning exit will kill current terminal
fi

It's not a dependency problem but I can't figure how to run it. Tried to move the. sh file to the root PCSX2 folder but to no avail.

Send help, please.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone built and compiled PCSX2 from git (latest version)? I build it correctly but refuses to launch.

This is the fragment displayed by the script when trying to run it from the terminal.

Code:
# Avoid to screw up the shell context
DIR=`dirname $current_script`
MY_LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

if [ ! -x "$DIR/PCSX2" ]
then
    echo "Error PCSX2 not found in $DIR"
    echo "Maybe the script was directly 'called'"
    echo "Use either /absolute_path/$me or ./relative_path/$me"
    return 1 # warning exit will kill current terminal
fi

It's not a dependency problem but I can't figure how to run it. Tried to move the. sh file to the root PCSX2 folder but to no avail.

Send help, please.
I tried to build it and it launched without issue. Steps I followed:

Bash:
# git repo root
sudo apt build-dep pcsx2
mkdir build && cd build
cmake ../
make -j$(nproc)
./pcsx2/PCXS2

MekaDragon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to build it and it launched without issue. Steps I followed:

Bash:
# git repo root
sudo apt build-dep pcsx2
mkdir build && cd build
cmake ../
make -j$(nproc)
./pcsx2/PCXS2

Code:
$ ./home/mekadragon/Games/pcsx2/bin/PCSX2-linux.sh
Error PCSX2 not found in ./home/mekadragon/Games/pcsx2/bin
Maybe the script was directly 'called'
Use either /absolute_path/PCSX2-linux.sh or ./relative_path/PCSX2-linux.sh

I don't know how to avoid that error... I already tried with the absolute path as you can see, but it keeps returning the same error.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Code:
$ ./home/mekadragon/Games/pcsx2/bin/PCSX2-linux.sh
Error PCSX2 not found in ./home/mekadragon/Games/pcsx2/bin
Maybe the script was directly 'called'
Use either /absolute_path/PCSX2-linux.sh or ./relative_path/PCSX2-linux.sh
I don't know how to avoid that error... I already tried with the absolute path as you can see, but it keeps returning the same error.
If you want to use the absolute path you should omit the . from the start of the command, in this case '/home' instead of './home/'.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that affects licensing of exFAT? Previously Microsoft demanded fees from everybody implementing exFAT, and the page is still there. This is kind of silly if the Linux kernel will support it without requiring any license (aside GPL).

Has anyone been able to get EGS to work through Lutris? I may just sell my Control and Young Blood Codes if I can't get this to work.
It worked for me for some time but broke after some self updates. Right now I'm just adding free games through the website of the store.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I could've sworn they offered the exFAT patents to the Open Invention Network, which would imply they're being more lax about enforcing them going forward. So long as the implementation isn't Microsoft's we should be good to redistribute the functionality.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is just about perfect now with a few tweaks I found on ProtonDB. Even got Reshade working. One less game I have to boot up Windows for.
naOOSYX.png

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just hit up that crazy bamco sale at humble very I got ridge racer, ni no Kuni, Pac-Man champ 2, little nightmares, and Gundam breaker. All proton friendly. That was all 24 bucks.

The tales games, and God eater had borked ratings.soul Calibur 6 is reportedly playable, but has problems I dont want to deal with

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Anyone here play Elder Scrolls Online? I am trying to figure out where to locate the ADD ON folder to add some mods. Can't seem to locate it.

Edit: Never mind , LOCATE COMMAND is very powerful :D

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This past month, we here at CodeWeavers and the wider Wine community suffered a devastating loss. Our friend and colleague, Józef Kucia, died at the age of 28.

Józef first contributed to Wine in March of 2012, showing remarkable skill with Wine's D3D technology. He became a key contributor to Wine, submitting over 2,500 patches. He also contributed to other open source projects including Mesa and Debian. Józef founded and led the vkd3d project and provided insight and guidance to the Vulkan working group.

Józef joined CodeWeavers in 2015, and quickly became one of our most valued employees.

While technically brilliant, Józef was a man of few words. He carried a quiet kindness, but it could be difficult to draw him out...

Tragic.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Proton 4.14-4 Changelog:
  • Improve behavior of PlayStation 4 controllers and controllers connected by Bluetooth.
  • More improvements to mouse capture and window focus loss behavior.
  • Farming Simulator 19 is now playable.
  • Fix some graphics issues in A Hat in Time and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.
  • Update DXVK to v1.3.4
  • Update D9VK to 0.21-rc-p.
  • Update FAudio to 19.09.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
DXVK 1.4 is out.

Features
D3D11 runtime interface
D3D11 interfaces were updated to D3D11.4, which is the latest version available in Windows 10 (1903). This introduces a number of new API features, some which are supported by DXVK if the underlying Vulkan driver supports the corresponding features.
The following features are optional and are currently not supported:
  • D3D11.2: Tiled Resources
  • D3D11.3: Conservative Rasterization
  • D3D11.3: Rasterizer Ordered Views
These features may be implemented in the future in case any games make use of them.
This change fixes a crash in Plants vs Zombies - Battle for Neighborville, which requires at least a D3D11.3 runtime.
DXGI runtime interface
To match the D3D11.4 update, DXGI interfaces were updated to DXGI 1.5.
This allows application to query for HDR support. HDR itself is not supported.
Support for GDI interop with DXGI surfaces was added to fix an issue with the Rockstar Game Launcher. Note that the launcher itself also requires fixes to Wine's Direct2D implementation, see #1196.
Resource mapping improvements
The d3d11.allowMapFlagNoWait option is now enabled by default, which may improve performance in certain games. An issue that would prevent it from working correctly in The Witcher 3 and other games has been fixed, and synchronization now behaves more like it would on a native D3D11 driver.
Note: This change may introduce regressions. When reporting a bug, please check whether setting d3d11.allowMapFlagNoWait = False in the configuration file fixes your problem and include this information in your bug report.
Bug Fixes and Improvements
  • Fixed a potential performance issue in games making heavy use of Deferred Contexts, such as Dark Souls III and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.
  • More accurate resource tracking may in some cases lower CPU overhead slightly.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
And I'll keep checking for Bionic Commando and Monster Boy, and I'll probably continue to be disappointed.

My gaming adventure for the day was installing Origin. It took a while and now that it's running it's not well behaved at all. I have serious doubts about buying a game from there, even though I really want to play it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
And I'll keep checking for Bionic Commando and Monster Boy, and I'll probably continue to be disappointed.

Monster Boy requires winetricks d3dcompiler_47. I've played Bionic Commando on regular WINE through Playonlinux years ago, so it might be possible to fiddle around with Proton to get it working.

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here using a matrix client like Riot et al? Found out about it a couple of months ago. Would be cool to see one with mumble integrated.

Doubt it will make a dent to Discord though.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Boy requires winetricks d3dcompiler_47. I've played Bionic Commando on regular WINE through Playonlinux years ago, so it might be possible to fiddle around with Proton to get it working.
I know that about Monster Boy, but if winetricks is required, the game does not exist as far as I'm concerned. I used it once, something went wrong, there was no undo option, documentation is basically non-existing, information on how to uninstall required googling, and in the end it required the reinstallation of a game. Never again. This is something Wine / Valve has to fix.

Bionic Commando works if you replace the executable with a cracked one, if you are to believe some comments. I'm not going to download random executables from shady websites to get a game I own to run.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I know that about Monster Boy, but if winetricks is required, the game does not exist as far as I'm concerned. I used it once, something went wrong, there was no undo option, documentation is basically non-existing, information on how to uninstall required googling, and in the end it required the reinstallation of a game. Never again. This is something Wine / Valve has to fix.
Fair enough. If you decide to try Winetricks or Protontricks again, it's easier to just delete the Proton prefix in the compatdata folder than to try and undo a botched install. Game files will remain installed and Steam will simply generate a new, clean prefix next time you try to start the game.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. If you decide to try Winetricks or Protontricks again, it's easier to just delete the Proton prefix in the compatdata folder than to try and undo a botched install. Game files will remain installed and Steam will simply generate a new, clean prefix next time you try to start the game.
Oh yeah. Head over to google and "delete the prefix" is the go-to solution. What does that mean though? What is a prefix? Delete from where? It took more googling to finally land me on some forum where another confused user who didn't just simply know what deleting a prefix means was helped to navigate to a game directory and delete something. This was a while ago so I don't remember the details. But after I was done deleting what I thought seemed to be the right directory/file/whatever on my end, the game install was broken.

I'm not a total dummy with computers. I can figure this out if I have to. I just don't think I, or anyone, should have to. It seriously rubs me the wrong way that we're now supposed to run mystery commands and hope for the best. Steam was supposed to save us from the endless tweaking with Wine to get our games to run. This is going backwards.

I hope I'm not coming across as hostile. A lot of people mean well when they recommend protontricks, and if it helps people run their games I suppose that's good on some level. But we shouldn't be in this situation.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not a total dummy with computers. I can figure this out if I have to. I just don't think I, or anyone, should have to. It seriously rubs me the wrong way that we're now supposed to run mystery commands and hope for the best. Steam was supposed to save us from the endless tweaking with Wine to get our games to run. This is going backwards.
I can sympathize with your expectations as an end-user, but community participation is one of the things I love about FOSS projects like what Valve has been backing in the Linux space. I think it's important that users are able to look under the hood not just to get their games running but also to document potential fixes and highlight parts of WINE/Proton that need to be focused on to improve compatibility. I certainly don't think things are going backwards because of this; on the contrary, I think users tinkering with things and reporting what they find is part of the reason Proton has been able to improve so quickly.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
If you just run Wine (or Proton) you essentially use a default virtual "Windows installation" (file system where all "system" files are stored). Using a prefix allows one to create and use isolated "Windows installations". Ideally all Windows applications that have complex requirements (like Winetricks etc.) would use own prefixes to not mess with each others' installation (Lutris does this).

You are right that this seems convoluted at first. Valve tries to hide such complexity, and such facades are always going to break apart once something doesn't work. But it's also a work in progress with many moving targets, so early adopters do well either getting familiar with the underlying workings or strictly sticking to what's working out of the box.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I continued to fight with Origin and the somewhat surreal chain to play is now Steam > Lutris > (Origin) > Game. Lutris because I needed to select which version of Wine to use, and configure it. Steam because otherwise my controller isn't being picked up by the game.

I can now play Mirror's Edge Catalyst. If not for what I assume is intense shader stutter, which has mostly disappeared an hour in, it would be nearly perfect. I'm not sure how it's possible for a middle-aged man to feel nostalgia over a game that's, what, three years old? But something like that is happening.

I should buy Mass Effect 3 as well now that I know Origin is viable, if a bit of a pain to set up.

And thanks for the explanation, datschge!

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Just popping by to say I bought three games on Steam this week and they all just work and I can stream them to my phone and use any of my weird controllers to play them. It's been more than a year since Proton released and I'm still jazzed about it and Linux gaming in general.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Just popping by to say I bought three games on Steam this week and they all just work and I can stream them to my phone and use any of my weird controllers to play them. It's been more than a year since Proton released and I'm still jazzed about it and Linux gaming in general.

I just tried steam link on my phone, and I was getting really bad performance last night. It would have worked fine, but my Wi-Fi speed appears to be terrible.

But yeah, me too with the new games! I've been buying list games lately, but I picked up a few over the last couple months such as Bayonetta, Nino Kuni 2, the nightmarishly awful Ridge Racer unbounded, Etc. All games with good protondb ratings, of course but it's still so awesome to see them click and run.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I wonder if I should give Evolution a shot, again. I only ever used it as a standalone app (in so much as it can be standalone...) but I hated how much memory it would use for no reason other than keeping a terrible database. It was nice for when I was at a place that used Exchange, but my current workplace uses GSuite instead, so I've been using Thunderbird. I'd actually use Kmail (since I use KDE) but it's suuuuuuper crash happy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emojis in release notes. We've come a long way.

I like the honesty though "I have not been completely happy with the quality of recent Ubuntu MATE releases. All the important stuff works but there have been niggly issues that by themselves are not deal breakers, but in aggregate are frustrating"

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a horrible time with Evolution Mail trying to IMAP Gmail. Worked for several years with no issues, then something went wrong in it's vast swathes of ~/.cache or ~/.evolution or who knows where else and I was never able to recover it to a working state, just constant unintelligible error messages and semi-working state. Couldn't even manage to properly reset it to a clean profile. Using Thunderbird instead.