• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, was following this over the weekend. At this point we've got these merged and Wine is at RC status for 5.0. The next big Proton update is going to be glorious.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I stumbled over some hacks that were useful for me, in case anyone is experience similar issues. These worked for my setup, that is Pop OS 19.10 + Win 10 dual boot (separate drives):

Fix for no-sound in certain Steam games (e.g. FTL)
Create .asoundrc in home directory with contents
Code:
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}
Source: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1356438#p1356438

Fix wrong clock in Windows 10

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm getting my index on Friday. Wondering if anyone else has a lot of experience with vr on linux.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm getting my index on Friday. Wondering if anyone else has a lot of experience with vr on linux.
I don't have any personal experience, but the reddit thread How I Got Usable VR on Linux made for an interesting read a couple weeks ago. It seems like a lot of people haven't had any notable issues with VR on Linux, so I figure the OP effectively represents the worst-case scenario which could make it a good place to start. Of course, the Index community may have more specific resources- here's a recent first impressions post that seems to bode well for your weekend.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
The posts about VR on Linux say nothing about it, but I would be pretty worried about shader compilation stuttering as that's an area where Linux is behind, and brief freezes are really annoying in VR.

I'm glad I don't care that much about Half-Life and can wait a few years for the headsets and software to improve.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any personal experience, but the reddit thread How I Got Usable VR on Linux made for an interesting read a couple weeks ago. It seems like a lot of people haven't had any notable issues with VR on Linux, so I figure the OP effectively represents the worst-case scenario which could make it a good place to start. Of course, the Index community may have more specific resources- here's a recent first impressions post that seems to bode well for your weekend.
Ah yea, I forgot about that post. Good info. And it looks like the OP came back with more impressions later, too.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The compositor is the best thing about steamos.

I used steamos for years trouble free but then it came down with a couple bad bugs that made it unusable. It was great before that, tho.

Ive been waiting for 3.0 for such a long time.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The compositor is the best thing about steamos.

I used steamos for years trouble free but then it came down with a couple bad bugs that made it unusable. It was great before that, tho.

Ive been waiting for 3.0 for such a long time.

It's good to know that they're still working on it. A Windows-free gaming PC has been a dream of mine for so very long.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's good to know that they're still working on it. A Windows-free gaming PC has been a dream of mine for so very long.

I just want a console sized PC with a great living room UI that simply plays everything with little issue, without it being overpriced.

Dunno much about Linux tho. What is a compositor and does this news mean much in terms of potential performance improvements on the way?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I lived that dream for about 6 months, but eventually had to go back to dual booting because of something or other I just had to play that was taking too long to get working in Proton. It's been like a year since then, and I've been meaning to give it another go with all the strides DXVK has made (DX9 support being a huge part of that).

Having tried to do so for years on and off, even that 6 month experiment was miraculous in my eyes. It's not like I gave up all modern games to do it, I played a ton of Hitman 2 for instance.

I just want a console sized PC with a great living room UI that simply plays everything with little issue, without it being overpriced.

This is actually something I'm doing right now. It is windows based, but my PC boots straight into steam big picture mode, and I use my DS4 or steam controller (depending on the game) and go to town.

Hoping at the rate things are going, I can use steam OS, or Mint and auto boot into big picture mode and just be set sometime in the next year or so.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shame DRM is such a big issue for games working on linux. FFXV, Destiny 2 and new battlefield all work if you can disable drm/anticheat.

Glad wow classic works flawlessly which I play most of the time nowdays on pc

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Shame DRM is such a big issue for games working on linux. FFXV, Destiny 2 and new battlefield all work if you can disable drm/anticheat.

Glad wow classic works flawlessly which I play most of the time nowdays on pc
For a long time it was a badly kept secret that Blizzard maintained an internal Linux build of WoW... I'm sure that got abandoned ages ago, but it was always a shame they never publically released it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

My man, you know I want you on board! I got to tell you that even when steamos 3 releases, we're going to be a long way off from gaming on a Windows PC. We're on the frontier, but pushing towards the Manifest Destiny. There's been so much progress in the last couple years. I'm going to keep tugging at your sleeve until you jump in!

Dunno much about Linux tho. What is a compositor and does this news mean much in terms of potential performance improvements on the way?

I'm not as technically inclined as most of our Linux Community here oh, but I can tell you there are major tangible benefits to the current steamos compositor. Why is that you get, generally, no tearing. I don't run vsync in any of my games when using Steam OS. Actually, I should say using the composite or in general, because you can add it as an optional session to any Linux install and it works the same way.

It lets your games fade back and forth to Big Picture Mode smoothly, which is neat. But it's the smoothness it lends that's the big advantage to me. I don't know if it's triple buffering or what, but that's the effect.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
My man, you know I want you on board! I got to tell you that even when steamos 3 releases, we're going to be a long way off from gaming on a Windows PC. We're on the frontier, but pushing towards the Manifest Destiny. There's been so much progress in the last couple years. I'm going to keep tugging at your sleeve until you jump in!

I can't wait!

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do add-ons work with Classic in Linux? Classic is literally the only reason I boot into Windows on my laptop right now. I've been super curious to try it, but I saw some posts on the Lutris page saying there were issues.

Curious if I'd see any performance benefit...I know my laptop handles nearly every game it's able to run better in Linux than Windows for some reason. It has an A-series quad core APU from 2015, so not great. I suspect there's a lot of CPU overhead I am dealing with in Windows that may not be an issue in Pop!_OS. Currently it bounces between 30-50 FPS on preset 3 while questing, which has been mostly alright since I reserve more serious play session to my much more capable desktop, but it would be nice if I could eke out a little more performance.
Absolutely zero issues, put addons in correct folder like in windows and they work.

For the performance I can't really say anything, for modern computer can't notice difference.

Try it out!

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thing is Steam is already available on Chrome OS. The problem is the restrictions of the crustini container as far as access to gpu is concerned. Doesn't matter that much for applications like GIMP or Inkscape, but for games it's another story
Edit: In other news, back to debian after 3 days of revisiting arch. In a hilarious way both distributions don't change that much which I like.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam ARM support would be nice
It would be amazing. Right now not much would change considering the lack of pc games with ARM support, but I can see that changing in future.

What I would really like is for Valve to bring the ARM Steam link program to generic Arm Linux. I've got a Pinebook Pro running Manjaro Arm and Steam Link would be great on it.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Tangential.

www.androidpolice.com

Exclusive: Google is working to bring official Steam support to Chrome OS

Last week in Las Vegas while at CES, I spoke with Kan Liu, Director of Product Management for Google's Chrome OS. In a wide-ranging discussion about the

Is that a big enough deal to be worth a new thread? Dunno how big Google OS is.

It would be amazing. Right now not much would change considering the lack of pc games with ARM support, but I can see that changing in future.

What I would really like is for Valve to bring the ARM Steam link program to generic Arm Linux. I've got a Pinebook Pro running Manjaro Arm and Steam Link would be great on it.

Wasn't there work towards proton / DXVK for ARM?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
My understanding is that x86/64 applications would require an actual emulator to run on ARM in addition to WINE/Proton. It's possible, but I think performance would take quite a hit.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
SteamVR on linux is kind of a pain. I think the only way I can get it to work is to log into GNOME and then have Steam use native libraries.

I think whatever is doing is either not working well with i3 or the compositor I'm using.

Beat Saber is fun though!

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

In theory, using something like qemu, it should be possible to transparently run both i386 and amd64 games on ARM. It wouldn't be fast, and it might require a bit of investment from Valve to get it to a more "production-ready" state, but it's something I could see happening.

To be honest, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some Linux distros start putting a bit more effort into that sort of setup as ARM laptops (and I suspect eventually even desktops) continue to rise in popularity.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
x86 to x86 QEMU is pretty fantastic tbh. Solved my long time distro hopping addiction.
Unfortunately there's a fair bit more that can go wrong emulating x86 on ARM, in large part thanks to x86's notably strong memory model. I don't know how well qemu handles that currently (been meaning to pick up an ARM laptop, but finding one with both 16GB of RAM and a reasonable chance I could set up a dual boot has been a challenge), but that's probably one of the bigger stumbling blocks.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Sad news:

As we continue to upgrade Rocket League with new technologies, it is no longer viable for us to maintain support for the macOS and Linux (SteamOS) platforms. As a result, the final patch for the macOS and Linux versions of the game will be in March. This update will disable online functionality (such as in-game purchases) for players on macOS and Linux, but offline features including Local Matches, and splitscreen play will still be accessible.

If you purchased Rocket League for Mac or Linux on Steam, the game will still work with full functionality when installed and played on a computer running Windows 7 or newer.

Additional information can be found in the support article here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as Epic bought Psyonix, I knew it was only a matter of time until this would happen.

Last edited:

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
But guys, Epic is making gaming better for everyone, haven't you heard to good word?

Sucks.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
b-but competition!!!!

Valve: Helps port Rocket League to Linux
Epic: Removes Linux support as soon as they take over

:)

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
Playing the devil's advocate but, could it be that the decision came from Psyonix independently and has nothing to do with Epic Games and Tencent?
It'd probably happened regardless of the acquisition.
The cost of developing and maintaining the Linux and macOS versions is likely bigger than the revenue they get from them, so it doesn't make financial sense.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the devil's advocate but, could it be that the decision came from Psyonix independently and has nothing to do with Epic Games and Tencent?
It'd probably happened regardless of the acquisition.
The cost of developing and maintaining the Linux and macOS versions is likely bigger than the revenue they get from them, so it doesn't make financial sense.
There is no "independent Psyonix" with the ability to make decisions any more. Same goes for Obsidian, Inexile, Insomniac etc.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
There is no "independent Psyonix" with the ability to make decisions any more. Same goes for Obsidian, Inexile, Insomniac etc.

And you claim this because... ?
What you're saying is, any decision about the game is now taken by Epic Games, and Psyonix is just a mindless executor?

Even if that was the case (and we have no insight into how their relationship works), doesn't change the fact that Linux is not a commercially viable platform and this would have likely happened regardless.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Even if that was the case (and we have no insight into how their relationship works), doesn't change the fact that Linux is not a commercially viable platform and this would have likely happened regardless.
So an independent Psyonix can support a commercially nonviable platform, but Epic with its Fortnite money and stuff like MegaGrants can't.

This is not a good look on Epic any way you cut it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So, I've established that a -120mV undervolt on my cpu core and cache is completely stable on my i7 9750H. Is it worth it to undervolt the Intel GPU as well? What is "iGPU Unslice" in Throttlestop? How do I test the iGPU stability if I undervolt it? Thanks

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So Halo reach seemed to run pretty great via proton minus some random texture glitches but now found out in campaign multiplayer crouching crashes the game and not just for me but for everyone playing with me.

Last edited:

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I have been 2 years straight with Linux.
But I am finally breaking down and installing a Win 10 partition. I just can't live with sub 60 fps on MHW.