• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My best experience lately has been playing Yakuza 0. Since the Denuvo removal, the game now runs perfectly on Linux. On my last long weekend break from work I just laid back in bed and played that.

Anyone here tried Last Epoch yet?
Nice to hear, it used to crash a lot when I tried to run it when proton first came out. I have a couple side stuff to complete in Kiwami, I should give it a shot given they use the same engine.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Do we even have confirmation that the Windows Steam version will receive updates? If not... yikes. Sucks for Rocket League fans as a whole, and especially Linux RL fans.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yakuza 0 is brilliant. I didn't realize it worked. I mainlined it and it was totally amazing but I feel like I missed so much.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Man the loss of rocket league on linux is terrible. I have no ill will against EGS inherently, but EGS buying linux games and making them windows-only is some real A-tier shit. Why they can't just make a linux launcher is beyond me.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
They just clarified that the Steam release will get all of the same updates, though. Is there a reason to believe they would drop the Linux or macOS builds on Steam even though they're keeping the 'PC' Steam version up to date? For the moment this news seems to suggest we have nothing to worry about.

While I wouldn't use it for various reasons, they should think about putting some official resources into getting EGS and their first party titles onto Linux natively (or Unreal's full feature set into the Vulkan renderer for that matter). We have some pretty good momentum right now and it shows no signs of stopping, so I imagine this will happen eventually. Still, it'd be nice if they didn't drag their feet until they're nearly forced to support Linux.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If you look at the features they are going for first, it seems to be the most important stuff. Regional pricing and refunds and things like that.

Who knows where Linux support falls into that. :/ Seems like that maybe one of the more advanced features and possibly low priority.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
They just clarified that the Steam release will get all of the same updates, though. Is there a reason to believe they would drop the Linux or macOS builds on Steam even though they're keeping the 'PC' Steam version up to date? For the moment this news seems to suggest we have nothing to worry about.

While I wouldn't use it for various reasons, they should think about putting some official resources into getting EGS and their first party titles onto Linux natively (or Unreal's full feature set into the Vulkan renderer for that matter). We have some pretty good momentum right now and it shows no signs of stopping, so I imagine this will happen eventually. Still, it'd be nice if they didn't drag their feet until they're nearly forced to support Linux.
If they're not selling it on Linux, it's really hard to imagine them supporting that build of the game with updates indefinitely. Either the epic store will get Linux support or they'll axe Linux support for rocket league, imo

(Insight: am not a game dev, but am a software dev)

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a free software developer at home and a proprietary game developer at work, but I don't think I have enough knowledge of Psyonix's situation to come to any firm conclusion on this. But since we're just speculating, removing the Linux build at this point seems unnecessary since most of the burden of maintenance happened in the past when they ported it and got it into their multiplatform workflow. Also, Epic seems to be aware of the criticisms they've been receiving lately, so maintaining the Linux version of Rocket League on Steam would be a very cheap way to regain some (or at least avoid losing more) good will. Basically, my position on this is that we have to come up with a solid justification for the status quo to change on Steam when they've very clearly stated that it won't.

EDIT: I just realized that this tweet could be interpreted as them discontinuing sales on Steam as they specified 'for those who already own the game'. Given that interpretation, ceasing development on the Linux version seems less unlikely.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
man if they did somehow start offering Linux support and lean into it, that would get me feeling some kind of way.

like I'd want to support them, but I really really wouldn't want to support them...

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, serious mixed feelings. I suppose I would thank them for at least giving us the choice not to use their store.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just picked up vanquishing bayo from that sale. Five bucks each. Both looking good on protondb.

I have the booty PS3 version of Bayonetta oh, and I played it about halfway through before I decided I really liked it and I wanted to put it down until I got a hold of a better version. I was thinking the switch version, but that's just going to crack up my joycons. I need a real controller. so this is great I'm probably going to rip into the game right away.

I've heard great things about vanquish and never tried it. So I think I'm going to save this one for a rainy day.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
DXVK Version 1.1.1

Note: This is largely a re-release of DXVK 1.1, with bug fixes for several issues introduced in that release.
Features
Frame time consistency
Improved overall frame time consistency and fixed a related issue which could lead to triple buffering not working as expected. Affected games include Assassin's Creed Unity.
Per-game configuration
Configuration options in dxvk.conf can now be limited to one single executable, which enables the use of one global DXVK configuration file rather than one file per game. Refer to the Wiki for details.
Query rework
In order to improve performance in Unreal Engine 4 titles and others, Queries were re-implemented to allow for better GPU utilization. Since this is a widely used API feature, this change may affect many games.
Note: For best performance, both your Wine version and graphics driver must support VK_EXT_host_query_reset. This extension is available since Wine 4.5 as well as Proton 4.2, and on the following drivers:
AMD / Intel: Mesa 19.1-git
Nvidia: 418.52.05
Without this extension, certain games, such as Quake Champions, may perform significantly worse than with DXVK 1.0!
Memory optimization
In games with a large number of shaders, memory utilization was reduced by using in-memory compression for shader code and avoiding unnecessary copies, which may slightly increase shader compile times.
Note: This does not solve the out-of-memory issues with many 32-bit games, and does not affect VRAM utilization.
Bug Fixes and Improvements
  • Improved compatibility to Wine's Direct2D implementation.
  • Minor optimizations for multisample resolve operations, presentation, and other things.
  • Fixed incorrect shader behaviour with unbound resources.
  • Fixed incorrect MSAA sample locations in shader code.
  • Fixed an issue causing flickering or artifacts on AMDVLK in some games.
  • Fixed various crashes when using the Windows version of RenderDoc inside wine (#877, PR #1037, PR #1038)
  • Fixed incorrect behaviour of DrawAuto with a non-zero vertex buffer offset. May affect Space Engineers.
  • NieR:Automata: Enable workaround for occational rendering issues on Nvidia GPUs (#1036)
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: Improved overall performance by 5-10% compared to DXVK 1.0.3.
  • SpellForce 3: Fix water rendering issue, as well as crash on startup when using DXVK's D3D10 implementation (#1031)

I'd be curious to know what kind of perf improvements the query rework has, if any, on games you guys play.
Also that Sekiro 5-10% boost is nice.

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Could anyone please help me setting everything up?

I can't get Sekiro to work, a white screen is all I'm getting.
I've installed steam, opted in to the beta, using proton 4.2.1 or something. Anything else I have to do? Do I have to use DXVK? How do I use DXVK?
According to the github-guide I have to do this:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/.wine-prefix
But I have no clue what "path/to/prefix" means. What prefix are they talking about? The location of the .wine-folder?
I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.2, Nvidia drivers are installed.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Could anyone please help me setting everything up?

I can't get Sekiro to work, a white screen is all I'm getting.
I've installed steam, opted in to the beta, using proton 4.2.1 or something. Anything else I have to do? Do I have to use DXVK? How do I use DXVK?
According to the github-guide I have to do this:
Code:
export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/.wine-prefix
But I have no clue what "path/to/prefix" means. What prefix are they talking about? The location of the .wine-folder?
I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.2, Nvidia drivers are installed.

Im sure someone more qualified will be along shortly lol. But did you install the nvidia drivers through your desktop's gui or did you get the latest like this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-418

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro should work out the box for most people. You definitely do not need to mess about with DXVK. Proton comes with it already set up.

Most likely if you are on 18.04, your GPU drivers are out of date. You should be downloading it from the graphics-drivers ppa like Crayon said. I'm not sure what GitHub guide you are reading. The only github guide of relevance is: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Requirements

If you open up the Nvidia X server settings program, who does it list as your NVIDIA driver version?

For some people, using PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 (added as a launch option in steam) helps.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Switched to pop!_os on Thursday. I'm very happy with how well backup and restore went. Default steam directory in my home folder was different, but I was able to move things around pretty easily and that was all good and happy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I was talking about the DXVK-Github page. But apparently I don't need it anyway if Proton comes with it's own version of DXVK.

That's how I got it. Nvidia X Server says Version 418.56.
PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 sadly didn't help, still stuck at the white screen :(
Have you tested Steam play with other games yet? If nothing loads, it could be a symptom of a larger problem we need to figure out.

What is your GPU?

If you load up Library -> Tools in Steam, and search proton. Does it say that Proton 4.2 is installed/ready to play?

Sekiro normally works out the box, not sure what is happening here and I sadly don't have an Ubuntu machine, or the game, to test. Only people I've seen getting a white screen in the past are AMD users using the radeon driver, and I'm not seeing any similar reports from nvidia users on protondb.

One random stab in the dark. You could try the Flatpak version of Steam. If the problem is with an out of date LLVM or something this could fix it. Flatpak is pretty cool, but unfortunately is an extra hoop that a beginner shouldn't need to jump through and I apologize for that. Just not sure what the problem is and think it's worth trying.

https://flatpak.org/setup/Ubuntu/

then after you are done,

Code:
flatpak install flathub com.valvesoftware.Steam

flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

Last edited:

rockmanjoe

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the new DXVK 1.1.1 is giving me performance improvements in Mega Man 11. Used to get slowdowns (like the game slowed to half speed) during certain effects but now it runs full speed at all times (I use an old geforce 660). Nice!

Pagano

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks for you effort Nappael, but it's working now. Reinstalled the game on the linux partition and now it seems to be working. Originally I was trying to start the game from my games-SSD which had a few mods like Reshade installed. Guess Proton didn't like that. Or it had a problem with permissions idk... Should probably try a clean install on that games drive again.

Next problem: my xbox controller isn't working
The controller works perfectly fine in big picture mode, but the game itself won't recognize the controller.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Thanks for you effort Nappael, but it's working now. Reinstalled the game on the linux partition and now it seems to be working. Originally I was trying to start the game from my games-SSD which had a few mods like Reshade installed. Guess Proton didn't like that. Or it had a problem with permissions idk... Should probably try a clean install on that games drive again.

Next problem: my xbox controller isn't working
The controller works perfectly fine in big picture mode, but the game itself won't recognize the controller.
Try turning off global configuration for controllers in steam settings.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
That tweet is obviously exaggerating the situation, all we know is that one of EAC's clients said they were 'pausing' support, whatever that means. For all we know this could be a temporary situation or something more perpetual where Linux EAC tends to be a little bit behind, not actually halted. No announcement was made, we have yet to hear back from them.

We don't gain anything from misrepresenting those who oppose Linux as a gaming platform, whether by agenda or sheer negligence. The confirmed reality is heinous enough without us inventing or presupposing anything.

EDIT: Wow, that whole series of tweets is full of inaccuracies and assumptions, even after they made some clarifications after the fact. I agree with their message that we should support itch.io and other platforms that contribute to a healthier ecosystem for games, but this justification sounds like misleading propaganda.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That tweet is obviously exaggerating the situation, all we know is that one of EAC's clients said they were 'pausing' support, whatever that means. For all we know this could be a temporary situation or something more perpetual where Linux EAC tends to be a little bit behind, not actually halted. No announcement was made, we have yet to hear back from them.

We don't gain anything from misrepresenting those who oppose Linux as a gaming platform, whether by agenda or sheer negligence. The confirmed reality is heinous enough without us inventing or presupposing anything.

EDIT: Wow, that whole series of tweets is full of inaccuracies and assumptions, even after they made some clarifications after the fact. I agree with their message that we should support itch.io and other platforms that contribute to a healthier ecosystem for games, but this justification sounds like misleading propaganda.

Thanks for that. I guess I'm feeling jumpy.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YMMV, but Kiwami 2 worked pretty well out of the box on proton, controller and everything. Had trouble relaunching it, but it was just a matter of killing some zombie wine processes.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is monster hunter world extra demanding on steam play? Getting ~45 fps start of the game before city, Qhd all maxed, 1080ti i7 6700k 16gig ram

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boi! I hope this is a sign of things to come from now on with Google Stadia in the wings. No reason to not support Vulkan.
With Google now invested in gaming on Linux, the future is looking bright. Even if Stadia eventually fails, Google will put a lot of reslurces into it, so it should make things progress even faster.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit stuck / disappointed. I bought a Vega 56 on the back of "the AMD open source drivers are amazing these days", and while that does seem to be the case - they do manage a KDE desktop / compositor very well and smoothly, and video playback even h265 perfectly with no tearing without me having to fiddle with anything - I've found the HDMI outs are stuck in YUV limited range and there seems to be no way to make it do RGB444. My 2nd screen picture does not look as good as it should :( Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Also is there any progress on HDR (for video files or games)? Where would one go to follow progress in this area?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Linux hardware question, but not really a gaming one. I'm in the market for a new laptop which is extremely lightweight, openly supports linux, has awesome battery life, and is reasonably priced. It's basically going to be a throw it in my bag, all-day note taking and presentation making machine.

As far as I can tell, my best option seems to be to wait until the Pinebook Pro releases, or buy a used Chromebook and convert it into a Linux laptop. Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm a bit stuck / disappointed. I bought a Vega 56 on the back of "the AMD open source drivers are amazing these days", and while that does seem to be the case - they do manage a KDE desktop / compositor very well and smoothly, and video playback even h265 perfectly with no tearing without me having to fiddle with anything - I've found the HDMI outs are stuck in YUV limited range and there seems to be no way to make it do RGB444. My 2nd screen picture does not look as good as it should :( Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Also is there any progress on HDR (for video files or games)? Where would one go to follow progress in this area?
Intel are working on HDR support over wayland (https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2019-January/039808.html), and Nvidia have pushed some suggestions on how to get HDR working on X.org, but I think we are still some way off true HDR support on Linux, unfortunately.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Proton 4.2-4 has been released. Just had a few moments to test it, but so far I'm getting much better performance in Sekiro since downloading it. Also some fixes for Rage 2, apparently.

Last edited: