• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I remember them talking about it and completely forgot about it.

I'm sure tons of support requests were resolved by pointing people towards ppa's, so hopefully this reduces some of the support costs for developers

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I came to see if that news was here! That's so great. The tendency is to point newcomers towards stable releases, and the general OS install is so easy, that I think a lot of people are getting hung up on this step if they try linux out with gaming in mind. Before, you had to install the OS, install the driver, then install steam and go. Installing the driver was by far the most technical step. Now it's gone. At least for a lot of people. And back porting it is great, too.

Is this going to help laptop users with that Optimus stuff?

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Just built a new PC, was previously on Intel i5 4670K now Ryzen 7 3700X
Clean install of Ubuntu, but can't get any of the new Capcom games to work (RE2, DMCV or Monster Hunter World), everything else I've installed seems to be working fine including other Denuvo games like Yakuza. Made sure I'm on the latest drivers.
I click 'Play' in steam, the steam says it's 'running for a few seconds but nothing loads, then data syncs and returns to not running.
I've ran the Proton_log switch enabled which gives some info, but nothing stands out...

On the latest proton 4.2-9 but tried previous versions.
Radeon RX Vega 64 (VEGA10, DRM 3.26.0, 4.18.0-25-generic, LLVM 9.0.0) - 4.5 Mesa 19.2.0-devel - padoka PPA
Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Anyone else with similar hardware have this issue?
I suspect it;s Denuvo DRM causing the issue, as it's only these 3 games that aren't running. Possibly the change in hardware and not being able to collect sufficient hardware information? Spent a day on these trying to get it working and a little fed up now. Had far too many issues with this new build already, with overly high core voltages and BIOS issues on x470

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I've gotten MH:W and DMC5 running without much effort in the past. Can't really think of anything in your description that would cause problems. Are you running them from an external drive? Perhaps there's some kind of file system weirdness afoot.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten MH:W and DMC5 running without much effort in the past. Can't really think of anything in your description that would cause problems. Are you running them from an external drive? Perhaps there's some kind of file system weirdness afoot.

I am yes, though they were on the same disk as my old system, ext4 formatted, just imported into the new system. So were working before.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I am yes, though they were on the same disk as my old system, ext4 formatted, just imported into the new system. So were working before.
Might be worth deleting their prefixes in the compatdata folder and trying again. If that doesn't work maybe try verifying the game files through Steam.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Omg after 20 years of wanting to play it, i tried The Dig.

96010-The_Dig_(CD_DOS)-4.jpg

Omg i hate it lol. I've been expecting this to be good for decades so im going to try more... but i did a few hours last nite and the game seems a mixed bag of dazzling to downright painful.

Lowpoint is perhaps the writing and tone of things. :x It's intermittently silly without being funny and it spoils the great atmosphere.

Next would be the unnatural puzzles and gating. :x thats another major slam for an adventure game, isn't it? Ahhhh I'm not looking forward to beating my head against this one in hopes that it gets better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battletech. Finally found a game i can settle with after straining my hand playing fighters and shooters for a whole month.

I'm not even sure if it's actually that good or I'm just blinded by my battletech fancy. At first I found it pretty clunky, and the tightly directed missions disappointing, but after a couple hours it really gets down and dirty with the mercenary management game. So fun.

I'm playing it on TV with the steam controller setup to favor the left hand lol.

I've also been playing Battletech recently. I'm only like 8 hours in but it's been great so far!

How well does it work on a controller though?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've also been playing Battletech recently. I'm only like 8 hours in but it's been great so far!

How well does it work on a controller though?

Not terrible. Remember im sort of on limp so im not fully utilizing both hands. Mostly, im getting along with left pad as the mouse and right grip flips that to a numbad touch menu to pick my1-8 actions. From there, i have the next/back unit mapped to press/hold on one face button and a few more handyb things there. Pan the camera with stick and other movementes on shoulders.

Its not terribly slow. But i spend enough time looking over my turn that actually entering it is not a big deal. This led to me mapping more fingertip camera controls that i though i would like at the start. Turns out i spend more time looking over the situation each turn than actually entering commands.

Working out great so far. No want for kb tho i keep a small one there.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Interesting article on Forbes about W10 vs POP OS gaming benchmarks:

System76-Oryx-Pro-_-1080p-Gaming.jpg

Slightly better on POP in some games, including one that was running through Proton, but unsurprisingly a bit lower on other games. A choice quote from the article:

Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais told me that the performance work being done in Proton and DXVK has gotten to a point where the CPU overhead of translating DX11 through DXVK can be lower than the overhead in the native AMD DX11 driver on Windows

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting article on Forbes about W10 vs POP OS gaming benchmarks:

System76-Oryx-Pro-_-1080p-Gaming.jpg

Slightly better on POP in some games, including one that was running through Proton, but unsurprisingly a bit lower on other games. A choice quote from the article:

I know Dirt Rally has different graphic settings compared to the windows version so that comparison isn't valid.

Interesting that the one using Vulkan has similar performance between the OS.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Okay i went back to The Dig. I think i threw it down once more in frustration, rhe i picjed it up again yesterday and anfter i finally found and solved a good puzzle, the game picked up alot. The rest of it was much better.

The problems that still stood were the cheeky writing that held back what could have been a serious and genuinly creepy atmosphere, some bad voice acting to go with it, some of the prety backrounds make hot spots hard to see or objects look nothing like they are described and perhaps a lack of items and fun itme based puzzles.

Turned out to be worth playing despite the awful first impression. Finished it this morning and ran perfect front to back on proton.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Looking to upgrade PC build, anyone make a new build with the new Ryzen? I was looking at PC Part picker and it doesn't seem like they have any news builds with the new Ryzen CPU.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a new ryzen but remember to update your bios since there was some amd cpu bug where it was returning bad values for rdrand which caused some versions of systemd to not boot

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
So, currently I am running Intel/Nvidia. Seem's to me that some B450 boards need to have BIOS updated before using new RYZEN chips. Only issue is I don't own any AMD CPU's to flash it in case new CPU doesn't work. I can't seem to find an current list that is compatible out of the box.
I will make sure to take note of that though, thanks Zoku.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
There are motherboards you can buy that allow you to flash without a cpu.
I think Asus calls it bios flashback. Msi has some different name.

I assume some ryzen boards have it. I don't know which since I usually go for hedt

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I was set on building a Ryzen system at launch due to my current PC endlessly freezing. It had gotten to the point where it could take an hour booting the thing, as it had started freezing during the boot process. And then it stopped freezing. Mostly. It seems as long as it does boot, and it hasn't frozen within an hour or so, it will never will. As long as I don't try to reboot, that is. So I just have to never do that I suppose.

My PC is haunted.

I'm going wait a bit before I throw my Intel mobo and CPU away, new Ryzen just seems a bit rough at the moment.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Between stuff like this and funds, no way am I jumping on the Ryzen gen 3 train for a bit. I'm also waiting for the AMDGPU driver to mature a bit before getting a 5700, but that would be before the mobo and CPU upgrade, for sure.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I was looking at benchmarks compared to my 4790K, and my CPU seems to be a ok . I think I may just stick with it a bit longer. However, I think my GTX 970 may need to be upgraded already.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at benchmarks compared to my 4790K, and my CPU seems to be a ok . I think I may just stick with it a bit longer. However, I think my GTX 970 may need to be upgraded already.
I have the same CPU. The only game so far that has given me trouble is Assassin's Creed Odyssey, where a fully locked 60fps seems impossible, but I expect games to start getting much heavier once next gen consoles get a better CPU. That's still a ways off, though.

My main issue with it has always been how hot it gets. Even a Noctua can't keep it under control without getting annoyingly loud.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I plan to upgrade around October to Ryzen. I'd imagine the kernel will be ready by then. No rush though, my haswell still holds up for the most part.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Do I have to do anything special to download all those shader pre-cache updates for games in Linux? I finally got my PopOS install to boot again, but I tried Dark Souls and it was as stuttery as the first time I played it, which was months ago.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
So, this is my first time installing a new GPU while being on Linux. Is it finicky like Windows. Should I be removing the drivers and reinstalling them. I caved and went to Microcenter earlier. I purchased a 2070.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
BallisticNG's free Neon Nights expansion is out adding new tracks, new campaigns, a new game mode and a ship. The new version of the game also seems to fix Steam Workshop for the Linux version, so certain user made tracks no longer crash the game.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Man, I am really bummed out. my 2070 came with Control and Wolfenstein. Control is EGS so I can't even play it, and Wolfenstein is on Bethesda launcher. Just going to give them to my buddy.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
So, this is my first time installing a new GPU while being on Linux. Is it finicky like Windows. Should I be removing the drivers and reinstalling them. I caved and went to Microcenter earlier. I purchased a 2070.
Is this the same vendor or different? If it's the same, you don't have to. If it's different, if there is some conflict, your package manager should tell you.

I think they don't, but I'm not sure how libgl is handled

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Is this the same vendor or different? If it's the same, you don't have to. If it's different, if there is some conflict, your package manager should tell you.

I think they don't, but I'm not sure how libgl is handled
So, I installed the GPU without removing drivers and started getting weird graphical glitches. I just went ahead, purged , reinstalled. Seems to run fine now. It was the same vendor as well.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
That makes me wish nvidia's drivers were open source...

Although, the fact that I can't seem to use the 430 drivers at all is a bigger problem

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Manjaro just replaced libreoffice with a closed sourced alternative that can only open doc/odt files apparently...
tumblr_n4pgy4kk1z1tv612co2_400.gif
Yeah, I don't support this. I've a problem with Snaps and using them to deliver packages, because while it moves packaging support away from the distro maintainers, it moves that to the snap developer and... that's not something I want to do, because it does exactly what I don't want: someone making my decisions for me.

I'll just stay in my corner with Arch and watch Manjaro become something else entirely.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Valve is definitely doing something with VR on Linux...

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-...ing-the-linux-desktop-to-another-reality.html

Collabora (an open source consulting company) just announced "xrdesktop" a set of projects which enable VR integration/interaction with Gnome and KDE. The project is sponsored by Valve.

I'm increasingly convinced that SteamOS is going to resurface as a system powering a self-contained VR kit. All these pieces moving into place are beneficial to Linux desktop users, but it's hard to believe Valve would go to the trouble/expense for such an insignificant market.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't support this. I've a problem with Snaps and using them to deliver packages, because while it moves packaging support away from the distro maintainers, it moves that to the snap developer and... that's not something I want to do, because it does exactly what I don't want: someone making my decisions for me.

I'll just stay in my corner with Arch and watch Manjaro become something else entirely.
I have a general distaste for middle-man distros anyway, so that doesn't really affect me thankfully.
Ignoring the fact I post this while currently testing out Linux Mint 19.2 Beta

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I use word processor (and associated other office stuff), but that just seems like a really weird decision. Like, does the Libre office package not exist anymore? Or is like... Installed defaults?

(do we really need office packages installed by default anymore?)

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that I use word processor (and associated other office stuff), but that just seems like a really weird decision. Like, does the Libre office package not exist anymore? Or is like... Installed defaults?

The change happened for sponsorship reasons. I mean it's not like Manjaro was a fort for FOSS before, but replacing a free solution with a proprietary one with less features is kinda amusing.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

Depends entirely on the distro, but it's also a reason why some distros just feel super bloated after install (and I say this as a KDE user!).