• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Related information
  • Krvavi Abadas

Banned
    Oct 26, 2017
    Videoland
    So all of this points to Nintendo having a library of all the games they have released or manufactured and while the conservation effort that is publicly available may be hindered by Nintendo's own legal team.

Yep! I managed to acquire some of the spreadsheets they use for it, as i've talked about before.
    To give you an idea of how through it is, there's a Mean Girls game on the Nintendo DS that was briefly listed on retail stores, and the publisher claims was never released. Guess what's in the DS spreadsheet? (In multiple regions, at that!)
    SZgT0pI.png

I'm not going to share them publicly for now, mainly because it's clearly not all of them (There's no Wii Spreadsheet, for example. Though there is a few sheets listing a couple of 3DS games.) but it exists.
    I don't think it actually contains the source code for the games, though. Just the final ROM files.

There's plenty of examples of devs emulating games from Nintendo platforms, and releasing them on non-Nintendo platforms. But it's possible that by "acquiring the code", they mean that they ended up contacting Nintendo to get the final rom files instead of just ripping them off a released cartridge. It should also be noted that the games in the collection do keep the text mentioning they're "Licensed by Nintendo"
    5iwwEDy.jpg

Something which (naturally) is removed in other compilations on Non-Nintendo platforms.
    hTHEmkm.png

(Ducktales, as running on the Disney Afternoon Collection. Text mentioning NoA is removed.)
    oV8M4Yw.gif

(The Original NES version, for comparison.)