• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think this may have my favourite character models for cutscenes of a release game this generation - that is something alright.
This cutscene was running at 60 fps...
bearswrksl.png
Very detailed and I've seen this specific character model used before but I'll say again I've seen some richer (and prettier) looking models than that already this generation: Detroit, RDR2, Uncharted 4/TLL, God of War, TLoU Part II. Gears is 60fps like you mentioned though, so some concessions have to be made on account of that.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
What the hell lol? Not even close really. Pretty sure Detroit and RDR2 plus Sony exclusives are already ahead of it. Good hyperbole clickbait article though. I mean it is 60FPS, but then again it's 60FPS and doesn't belong in the argument even.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If someone put a gun on my head and asked what is the best looking game I have ever played, I would instinctinly go with Horizon Zero Dawn.

There is nothing this gen that impressed me more than its dense jungle area. That game looks ridiculous.

Runner up probably RDR2.

But the king is coming in (supposedly) february.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I mean, the facial animations and expressions in gears 5 are way better than they have been in the past. Especially when you compare them to Gears 4. But not all characters looks great. JD looks good, so does del and markus, but kate's expressions do not come out as well.

I wonder why it is you feel everyone but Kait's don't come out as well? To me looking back the big faced dudes faces didn't move as fluidly as her normal sized head's facial expressions. They looked cartoony/stylistic for some reason in comparison.
I'm probably off on this I really need to watch more on this.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Nope. Not even close really.
Charecters are too over sized, and the environments look to bland compared to games like God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn. and Red dead 2.

Its not even an argument really

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Haha some takes in this thread are amazing. I'm downloading the game now on PC thanks to Game Pass. Might move my PC over to my living room later and try it on the projector. I'm hoping for a clean image, stable frame rates/times, and a fun campaign with responsive controls.

I need more compressed GIFs and photo mode screenshots to view on my tiny phone screen! Keep them and the hot takes coming. This is highly entertaining.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Very detailed and I've seen this specific character model used before but I'll say again I've seen some richer (and prettier) looking models than that already this generation: Detroit, RDR2, Uncharted 4/TLL, God of War, TLoU Part II. Gears is 60fps like you mentioned though, so some concessions have to be made on account of that.

All ps exclusives but RDR2....What a coincidence. Or not.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone put a gun on my head and asked what is the best looking game I have ever played, I would instinctinly go with Horizon Zero Dawn.

There is nothing this gen that impressed me more than its dense jungle area. That game looks ridiculous.

Runner up probably RDR2.

But the king is coming in (supposedly) february.
Let's be real, you're not gonna play this game or even really pay attention to screenshots. Your mind is made up.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are looking at different things then. Days gone literally uses the likeness of their actors so the facial expressions and mo-cap come out a little more natuaral and life like.

Gears 5 are all fictional characters where they use mo-cap from the actors but try and incorporate some of the facial expressions from actors and use them on the created characters.

Which is why days gone looks more realistic.

God of war beats both easily, same is with Uncharted and thats 3 years old now.
Imma take digital foundries word over someone who is inherently bias. Thanks.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Gears 5 confirmed to be best looking game this gen then. Well done Rod and everyone at the coalition.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Soon we can have a title change: "What every single-player Sony first party game does better than Gears 5"

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 are all fictional characters where they use mo-cap from the actors but try and incorporate some of the facial expressions from actors and use them on the created characters.

Nice realistic ventriloquists dummy major NPCs

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Sure wish I could play it on a One X on my fancy 4K TV with HDR, but still have a vanilla Xbox One. Must hold off another year...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Imma take digital foundries word over someone who is inherently bias. Thanks.

I was an animation major. And over all graphically gears 5 is better, what i was talking about is mo-cap animations and using the actual actors likeness in the character model lends it self to show a little more is all I was saying as opposed to applying it to a fictional character.

Uncharted 4 is 3 years old, and the animation of almost all characters look like real people.

Gears 5 looks great, and animation for facial expressions is actually really good. But there are better ones out there.

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Yikes, people defending Sony exclusives like their life depends on it...

Games looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to play tonight. Hopefully we can have a new thread of just Gears 5 screenshots/gifs to post/look in.

Jan 15, 2018
It's gonna have to do a lot to surpass Control at max settings and RTX High. That was really something else. Super excited for this to unlock tonight.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I just finished act 1 on PC maxed out @ 1440p .
Gorgeous game. Best looking? No, but its top tier. But it's probably the cleanest looking however. I loved that about Gears 4 as well.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great looking game. Best? Eh.

I don't even think it's the best looking game I've played this year. I find the art style really holds it back.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
We are looking at different things then. Days gone literally uses the likeness of their actors so the facial expressions and mo-cap come out a little more natuaral and life like.

God of war beats both easily, same is with Uncharted and thats 3 years old now.

You literally just went from "this is why Days Gone looks more realistic" to "these games with fictional likeness easily beat both though" in consecutive sentences...

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It might be my imagination but it doesn't look like Gears 5 is using PBR. I just played it for a few hours and I don't believe it is.

Which is holding it back visually imo. If it was implementing PBR then it would most certainly be the number 1 given its 60.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Not even close really.
Charecters are too over sized, and the environments look to bland compared to games like God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn. and Red dead 2.

Its not even an argument really
hmm here's some statements that have nothing to do with graphic quality.

As for the art design... The characters are wearing armor, which tends to be big and bulky.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
yeah just no, whats up with these hot takes. I have seen far better games graphically.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming Bolt the same site that brought you Kratos has the best looking teeth in a video game. They are just looking for hits for their website.

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got done playing the first act on PC, everything maxed and downsampled from 2880*1620. I'd say it's the best looking game I've played, but not necessarily the game that takes the best screenshots. One the one hand it is a really good looking game, but there's a combination of stable IQ, amount of dynamic assets in each scene, and 80+fps performance which don't translate to screenshots. But actually playing it, it looks fucking amazing.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Act 1 on pc maxed out with high res textures and HDR. It looks good but not definitely not the best.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Just got done playing the first act on PC, everything maxed and downsampled from 2880*1620. I'd say it's the best looking game I've played, but not necessarily the game that takes the best screenshots. One the one hand it is a really good looking game, but there's a combination of stable IQ, amount of dynamic assets in each scene, and 80+fps performance which don't translate to screenshots. But actually playing it, it looks fucking amazing.

Yeah, I think a lot of folks have a difficult time understanding screenshot IQ v. gameplay and video IQ. I can see this underwhelming with screenshot IQ due to art style, environments, etc. It's the combination of decent IQ plus decent performance that makes it pop, and that doesn't come across in a JPG.