• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Too much for one page lol.

Last edited:

Dr Guildo

Oct 27, 2017
France
I prefer AC:O on PC over Horizon ZD to be honest. Horizon looks amazing no doubt, but the general lack of interaction with the environment compared to AC:O is just disappointing. It's not so impressive to make everything beautiful when it doesn't react to anything else.

Please, do not summon the gif rain about HZD, it would melt down this thread.

Edit : too late, lol

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer AC:O on PC over Horizon ZD to be honest. Horizon looks amazing no doubt, but the general lack of interaction with the environment compared to AC:O is just disappointing. It's not so impressive to make everything beautiful when it doesn't react to anything else.

Horizon might not have the same amount of interactivity as AC:O in all places, but it does still have lots of tertiary interactivity and physics of its own that AC:O doesn't have, eg destructible trees, rocks, a multitude of destructible parts, armour, pieces etc on enemies, machines and so forth.

Eg stuff like this and plenty of other examples.

lflc6tA.gif

dhhxTbg.gif

lwl0guiv0jyz.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Horizon might not have the same amount of interactivity as AC:O in all places, but it does still have lots of tertiary interactivity and physics of its own that AC:O doesn't have, eg destructible trees, rocks, a multitude of destructible parts, armour, pieces etc on enemies, machines and so forth.

There is really very fews things HZD is not doing and ACO is doing foliage interaction with all foliage, Better interaction with water and fire propagation... Everything else HZD do it and sometimes go further with destruction....

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Looking at the gifs above the thing that doesn't look right is all the debris disappearing instantly and fall right through the ground. If only games could use the destruction tech in Crackdown 3 that would be something to behold

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

Oh for sure. It looks amazing. It's a shame that AC:O doesn't have giant dinosaurs stomping through the landscape either :D

The thing is just that... Horizon Zero Dawn is able to take a lot of liberties with it's environments, characters, and all of that. It's not really grounded in anything so it's able to be more exciting visually, imo. I'm not taking anything away from it on the technical side either though. It's completely impressive, and they did well with the elements they decided to focus on.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Looking at the gifs above the thing that doesn't look right is all the debris disappearing instantly and fall right through the ground. If only games could use the destruction tech in Crackdown 3 that would be something to behold

Providing Crackdown 3 still has all that in the final game because we all know early tech demo's can look a lot different to the final product. Just look at the terrible single player footage, it looked vastly inferior to the multiplayer tech demo and normally it's the single player that has the extra graphical bells & whistles. At this point who knows what's happening with Crackdown 3 ? It's been delayed forever now, with still no sign of a new date.

It would be something that I want to see more of in the future though, especially for next gen systems.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh for sure. It looks amazing. It's a shame that AC:O doesn't have giant dinosaurs stomping through the landscape either :D

The thing is just that... Horizon Zero Dawn is able to take a lot of liberties with it's environments, characters, and all of that. It's not really grounded in anything so it's able to be more exciting visually, imo. I'm not taking anything away from it on the technical side either though. It's completely impressive, and they did well with the elements they decided to focus on.

AC doesn't have giant dinosaurs, but it does technically have giant animals, what with the huge war Elephants, but they don't cause much destruction to the environment, more so because the arenas you fight them in are pretty barren.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Edit: fire propagate to foliage

caPZFID.gif

snow and wind
F0mPQU1.gif

EDIT: The fire affect Aloy and NPC or machine health, I said something not true and HZD has fire propagation too...

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man Horizon still looks like "Bullshot: The Game" It's absolutely ridiculous how well realized that world is.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Using one of the weapon of Aloy you can destroy tree, I need to find the gif...

A visual fiesta

UPxCzr0.gif

Tgm1MHV.gif

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
AC doesn't have giant dinosaurs, but it does technically have giant animals, what with the huge war Elephants, but they don't cause much destruction to the environment, more so because the arenas you fight them in are pretty barren.
Yes, well huge robotic dinosaurs was a focus of HZD.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon looks so stinking good ahhh. You guys should hear me as I watch or see new horizon pictures. I don't have the game so I don't seem to get numb or adjusted to it's beauty. I make a lot of weird sounds in a way to muffle my "woooow's," "Oh my god, what the hecks',"and such. God of War has to come swinging on all cylinders to get me like this.

Good luck GOW!!

That snow man, ahh (shakes head with eyes closed), that snow!

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Horizon looks so stinking good ahhh. You guys should hear me as I watch or see new horizon pictures. I don't have the game so I don't seem to get numb or adjusted to it's beauty. I make a lot of weird sounds in a way to muffle my "woooow's," "Oh my god, what the hecks',"and such. God of War has to come swinging on all cylinders to get me like this.

Good luck GOW!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...e-frozen-wilds-is-an-unmissable-tech-showcase

gif greatness await and will kill the page and nearly all sunhilegend who play on standard PS4. I played the main game on PS4 and the DLC Frozen Wilds on PS4 Pro

4zmf2HH.gif

xNhe2Gd.gif

6SNS38q.gif

go0qG8F.gif

Ux33NSk.gif

LKH7RBR.gif

nUS2MaU.gif

dBC7BX2.gif

WA3YjY8.gif

TsoFpWe.gif

434KDdL.gif

b8WcTiR.gif

D5pC6TV.gif

EDIT: Sorry for GOW or HZD but if it is not smoke and mirror the best things I have seeing is this

0AWCrAc.jpg

SejypGW.jpg

YbnySxX.jpg

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018

Good luck GOW!!

That snow man, ahh (shakes head with eyes closed), that snow!

Yeah, Horizon is sickeningly good. Don't forget the rain too man, look at it. It's coming off the Thunderjaw:

7B1GCGe.gif

9qzb0oX.gif

Let's not forget grass movement too, haha.

Can you imagine Horizon 2? PS5? Melted faces, Decima engine flexing.

I really don't know how much further we can go graphically lol.

3wVpoZF.gif

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Can you imagine Horizon 2? PS5? Melted faces, Decima engine flexing.
They can ruin that if they have the bad automatic scaling FOV thing like HZD 1 has. Obviously they have this in place for HZD for performance reasons lowering FOV when too much draw etc one of the biggest flaws of the engine for this game

All i really want from HZD 2 they must have (big) and also steady FOV.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is the next iteration of the Decima engine but with a more photorealistic style of graphics... It will be incredible too...
I thought about that, but I figured Horizon 2 would be soon after and since Guerrilla are more familiar with it + the setting and style of Horizon, it would have the best chance to blow my mind. Though so far Death Stranding's videos are looking good, I'm more interested in how it plays since it's the mystery.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, Horizon is sickeningly good. Don't forget the rain too man, look at it:

7B1GCGe.gif

9qzb0oX.gif

3wVpoZF.gif

Just think, this was all made for a slow Jaguar CPU, 1.84 Tflop's of GPU power and 8GB of RAM (only 5GB usable by games)

Now imagine what they can do with a much faster Ryzen CPU, 10-12 Tflops of GPU power and 16-24GB of RAM !!! (or whatever the spec is)

PS5 really could be face melting.........

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
horizon have lots of superficial effects, ACO wins easily on
physics and details.

No you don't know of what you are talking out of better water interaction, foliage interaction on all vegetation and better draw distance on ACO... HZD do everything else and sometimes more things(destruction)...

Another gif from Sunhilegend climb on tree

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/941983963790397441

a wall in HZD

3214469-5101145106-Rjt0n.jpg

Forest in HZD

32285276714_7e724c1665_o.png

many images:

p9i4eeZ.jpg

EDIT:

great close up Aloy

33734943715_1ccd3a0698_o.png

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Last time I check Crackdown 3 was still in active development. I think one would be wise to wait until the game is out if you want to make a reasonable comparison.

Also, CD3 destructible tech is reportedly only available in multiplayer?

horizon have lots of superficial effects, ACO wins easily on
physics and details.

Predictably bizarre and ignorant discussing PlayStation related products.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Just think, this was all made for a slow Jaguar CPU, 1.84 Tflop's of GPU power and 8GB of RAM (only 5GB usable by games)

Now imagine what they can do with a much faster Ryzen CPU, 10-12 Tflops of GPU power and 16-24GB of RAM !!! (or whatever the spec is)

PS5 really could be face melting.........

It really is, and its exciting stuff :)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Horizon is sickeningly good. Don't forget the rain too man, look at it. It's coming off the Thunderjaw:

[GIF]

[GIF]

[GIF]

2 more days. Lets see if something new gets on the wall.
xqu5f8c.jpg

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Having played both I can't agree with you. AC Origins is bigger, sure...but geometric detail is, if anything, superior in Horizon, there is more detail at the micro level than in AC Origins. That isn't really a technical detail, but I would say AC Origins is clearly a game that excels first at the macro level, although it has fleshed out the micro and meso scales better than previous AC games. Horizon on the other hand, excels most at the micro and meso scales, but it is still impressive at the macro scale.

I can see how you'd think this if close-up geometry is the only thing that mattered, but it isn't. The density of objects in the far distance is greater than Horizon's in many open world PC games like AC:O, or Ghost Recon: Wildlands (on the highest PC settings) and it isn't even debatable. Furthermore, as draw distance increases, the more you render in view space, the less benefit you get from frustum culling. This is easy to mitigate with LODs and object density at close and mid-ranges, but not so much at distant ranges.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I can see how you'd think this if close-up geometry is the only thing that mattered, but it isn't. The density of objects in the far distance is greater than Horizon's in many open world PC games like AC:O, or Ghost Recon: Wildlands (on the highest PC settings) and it isn't even debatable. Furthermore, as draw distance increases, the more you render in view space, the less benefit you get from frustum culling. This is easy to mitigate with LODs and object density at close and mid-ranges, but not so much at distant ranges.

The details you render far from the player benefit from LOD on consoles(very simple geometry and texture far from the player) at least and I prefer games taking care of details near the player before rendering very far... Here the difference is huge...

EDIT: In ACO or Ghost Recon Wildlands I can understand with the eagle or plane...

EDIT2: no LOD0 far from the player...

Last edited:

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
It's amusing how often people say "best-looking" when they really mean "most realistic-looking".

It's like saying a live-action film is always by defauly "better-looking" than a cartoon, which is a ridiculous notion.

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
Since you're really good at research, do you have comparison pictures?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The details you render far from the player benefit from LOD on consoles at least and I prefer games taking care of details near the player before rendering very far... Here the difference is huge...

EDIT: In ACO or Ghost Recon Wildlands I can understand with the eagle or plane...

As you mentioned in your edit, there are gameplay scenarios to consider, like overhead views where you need to see pertinent information that relates to gameplay.

And it's fine if you prefer developers to focus on detail near the player, but that doesn't change the computational load of games that have to deal with much more than that.

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
They can ruin that if they have the bad automatic scaling FOV thing like HZD 1 has. Obviously they have this in place for HZD for performance reasons lowering FOV when too much draw etc one of the biggest flaws of the engine for this game

All i really want from HZD 2 they must have (big) and also steady FOV.
Stop making shit up. Has nothing to do with performance.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
As you mentioned in your edit, there are gameplay scenarios to consider, like overhead views where you need to see pertinent information that relates to gameplay.

And it's fine if you prefer developers to focus on detail near the player, but that doesn't change the computational load of games that have to deal with much more than that.

But they use very low LOD assets for details far of the player... ;)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The problem here is that the geometric complexity is then significantly reduced compared to PC games that render distant objects on the highest settings.

Rendering distant object at highest setting is not useful and is not needed, you don't render something to have more polygon on screen and I would say it is a bad distribution of the polygon rendering budget...

But on PC you can do it. And at least I can understand it for the two games I talk about with the eagle and the plane...

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece

Horizon uses motion blur in the surrounding environment. If you make a full circle turn especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.