• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something here? You seem to have a problem with console games being compared to PC games, do you not?
To put it frankly, I feel like if one was going to compare games on different platforms, one should take into account the hardware. Obviously, a fixed console cannot compete with a $2,000 computer in terms of LOD and texture resolution just like the Switch not being able to compete with the current consoles. BotW has extreme framerate issues and because of it's hardware, some people excuses it. That's all I'm saying.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legit would buy these games again if they remastered them for the PS5.

God Of War, The Last Of Us 1/2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy. Phew.

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
How can anyone say the snow does not look good in God of War with a straight face? The level of detail with how it gets brown and muddy, etc., blew me away!

Because it doesn't look like snow.
Even if i were to give you snow deformation (which i personally believe Origin and Horizon is better at).
The actual makeup of the overall snow shader sucks in GOW compared to like ROTR

Starts at 60 seconds (Rise of Tomb Raider Snow Opening Scene)

now compare it to this... now come on don't lie to yourselves, this is clearly clearly night and day.

41594301532_71dabae3da_o.png

Here's what a realistic snow shader looks like, similar to what was used in ROTR.

jarrod-hasenjager-materialstudies-snow-workflow-jarrod-hasenjager.jpg

Notice that step 02 is mostly where GOW snow shader ends at. It doesn't even get to Step 04 where SSS is added and then Step 05 which improves on the realism with Light Glitters.

jarrod-hasenjager-materialstudies-snow-primitives-jarrod-hasenjager.jpg

jarrod-hasenjager-materialstudies-snow-focus-jarrod-hasenjager.jpg

Video of the SSS + Glitterness of the snow

https://vimeo.com/261130998

Phew... I hope this is enough for today.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
To put it frankly, I feel like if one is going to compare games on different platforms, one should take into account the hardware. Obviously, a fixed console cannot compete with a $2,000 computer in terms of LOD and texture resolution just like the Switch not being able to compete with the current consoles. BotW has extreme framerate issues and because of it hardware, some people excuses it. That's all I'm saying.

Of course. But when making claims like, "best looking game of all time", the only context we need is what constitutes a good looking game. That criterion would apply, regardless of platform.

Now if we were talking about which title was the most technically advanced, or technically impressive, the context is different, because the technology is the focus, and the technology used will dependent on the hardware being used in the comparison.

Gwynbleidd17

Oct 28, 2017

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Even if i were to give you snow deformation (which i personally believe Origin and Horizon is better at).

now compare it to this... now come on don't lie to yourselves, this is clearly clearly night and day.

Here's what a realistic snow shader looks like, similar to what was used in ROTR.

17727550_orig.jpg

Notice that step 02 is mostly where GOW snow shader ends at. It doesn't even get to Step 04 where SSS is added and then Step 05 which improves on the realism with Light Glitters.

17727551_orig.jpg

17727552_orig.jpg

Wait a second the snow sucks in GOW because it uses less sophisticated shader compared RoT? O.o WTF

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

jarrod-hasenjager-materialstudies-snow-workflow-jarrod-hasenjager.jpg

jarrod-hasenjager-materialstudies-snow-primitives-jarrod-hasenjager.jpg

This is a very good post demonstrating why the snow rendering in GOW is not very realistic. However, I think your antagonistic and hyperbolic tone prevents people from seeing your point.

But what you say is definitely true, it was immediately obvious to me when examining the snow in GOW with my own eyes.

Wait a second the snow sucks in GOW because it uses less sophisticated shader compared RoT? O.o WTF

The deformation is good. The lighting however, does not look realistic AT ALL for the snow, besides having fine grade shadow detail. Snow in ROTR definitely looks better, and even the snow in that game can't really compare to real life snow.

Games have a long way to go with fibrous and granular materials. They just aren't there yet.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
InferiorFilthyBlacklemur-small.gif

Vs

WhisperedCostlyBoar-size_restricted.gif

Vs

w5gAtAv.gif

ROTTR doesn't look as good to me compared with these gifs and the gifs below.

God of War's moves a lot more realistically and has it's own particle / grain system.

Horizon has amazing tech too.

Some of you in here don't think the same?

Last edited:

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
There isn't such a thing as a best looking game of all time as looks involve art and art is subjective.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
eh? snow in GOW looks great, much better than RoTR.

Again, some expert level cherrypicking here, damn.

There are quantifiable differences besides the deformation, like the lack of apparent total internal reflection (light glints/sub-pixel highlights) or lack of apparent translucency (which would be obvious had their been proper calculations for SSS). You easily see these characteristics in ROTR, whereas in GOW they are hardly evident, even if you believe the snow deformation and shadow detail in GOW is more realistic.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I think GoW and Horizon's snow are pretty much on par, tbh.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Vs

Vs

w5gAtAv.gif

ROTTR looks like shit.
God of War's moves a lot more realistically and has it's own particle / grain system.

Some of you in here man...

You cannot use gifs to show the differences being discussed here. That's fine for snow deformation, but not for the finer details of displacement and lighting techniques that are the basis for these comparisons.

And quite frankly, snow in GOW looks more like white powder than actual snow.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
There are quantifiable differences besides the deformation, like the lack of apparent total internal reflection (light glints/sub-pixel highlights) or lack of apparent translucency (which would be obvious had their been proper calculations for SSS). You easily see these characteristics in ROTR, whereas in GOW they are hardly evident, even if you believe the snow deformation and shadow detail in GOW is more realistic.
So it comes down to whether the Snow Glints? I thought the argument was about Snow tech?

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
You cannot use gifs to show the differences being discussed here. That's fine for snow deformation, but not for the finer details of displacement and lighting techniques that are the basis for these comparisons.

And quite frankly, snow in GOW looks more like white powder than actual snow.
You ever heard of powder snow? Not all snow has the same density and moisture content.

Deformation would be the Snow compacting under Kratos's feet, does it leave a footprint etc? Does it melt and leave ground.

Displacement would be what you can clearly see in these gifs. Is the Snow being physically moved from it's original state?

Both God of War and Horizon do this a lot better than ROTTR as seen here.

giphy.gif

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
taken as a whole, i find the snow in GOW much better looking than tomb raider. tomb raider snow looks ok until it starts deforming. then everything just goes bad. when it comes to the material and lighting aspects of it, GOW is indeed missing some elements, but it still manages to look better to my eyes. something about the materials in general in tomb raider is quite off

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
So it comes down to whether the Snow Glints? I thought the argument was about Snow tech?

No, it comes down to proper material parameterization, displacement mapping, noise algorithms, sub-surface scattering, and shader quality. You need these components to properly render the effect of total internal reflection. The end result is particle detail with translucency, in-scatter, and light glints, but you can't just sprinkle fake specular highlights on top of snow and expect it to look right.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
No, it comes down to proper material parameterization, displacement mapping, noise algorithms, sub-surface scattering, and shader quality. You need these components to properly render the effect of total internal reflection. The end result is particle detail with translucency, in-scatter, and light glints, but you can't just sprinkle fake specular highlights on top of snow and expect it to look right.
Well... I hate to burst your bubble but if you think ROTTR looks like this

You're sorely mistaken. It doesn't. Absolutely far from it.

• Deformable snow: Rise of the Tomb Raider makes use of deformable snow in a number of locations. This has been achieved using a form of adaptive tessellation paired with normal and height maps. The grid from which the snow is constructed varies geometric density based on camera proximity enabling a smoother mesh during normal gameplay angles. The depth of the snow varies heavily throughout these areas and Lara's animation reacts naturally to the varying conditions. Unfortunately, deformable snow is not utilised in every snowy area. For instance, the mountainous region following the Soviet Installation, is covered in snow - but the majority of it lacks the effect completely. Still, when it works, it's perhaps the best implementation of deformable material we've seen yet.
LOL.

Materials: Rise of the Tomb Raider has made the jump to a physically-based renderer but the results leave something to be desired. Compared to its contemporaries, the materials in this game simply lack the realism we've come to expect. While cloth, snow, and ice are convincing enough, much of the stone and wood work just don't work for us. Indirect lighting conditions often appear unnatural, despite the reliance on image based light probes, and specular highlights behave in an unrealistic fashion

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You ever heard of powder snow? Not all snow has the same density and moisture content.

Deformation would be the Snow compacting under Kratos's feet, does it leave a footprint etc? Does it melt and leave ground.

Displacement would be what you can clearly see in these gifs. Is the Snow being physically moved from it's original state?

Both God of War and Horizon do this a lot better than ROTTR as seen here.

giphy.gif

You're confusing the displacement mapping used for the vertex displacement of heightmaps with the displacement used to represent the granular detail of snow particles themselves. I'm referring to the latter, not the former.

And of course there is always variation in the density and level of condensation of snow, but in real life, snow resulting from the formation of ice crystals in the atmosphere is still going to look like snow, in the end.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Materials: Rise of the Tomb Raider has made the jump to a physically-based renderer but the results leave something to be desired. Compared to its contemporaries, the materials in this game simply lack the realism we've come to expect. While cloth, snow, and ice are convincing enough, much of the stone and wood work just don't work for us. Indirect lighting conditions often appear unnatural, despite the reliance on image based light probes, and specular highlights behave in an unrealistic fashion
That applies much more to the console versions or PC version without VXAO. VXAO helps a lot to get rid of the improper indirect lighting glow on many surfaces.

Oct 27, 2017

Vs

Vs

w5gAtAv.gif

ROTTR looks like shit.

Assuming this is a fair representation for each game, the snow looks way better in GoW than the other two. Not to say they're not impressive in their own right of course.

Just going by the gifs as I've barely played Rise and I haven't reached snow yet in GoW.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Well... I hate to burst your bubble but if you think ROTTR looks like this

You're sorely mistaken. It doesn't. Absolutely far from it.

• Deformable snow: Rise of the Tomb Raider makes use of deformable snow in a number of locations. This has been achieved using a form of adaptive tessellation paired with normal and height maps. The grid from which the snow is constructed varies geometric density based on camera proximity enabling a smoother mesh during normal gameplay angles. The depth of the snow varies heavily throughout these areas and Lara's animation reacts naturally to the varying conditions. Unfortunately, deformable snow is not utilised in every snowy area. For instance, the mountainous region following the Soviet Installation, is covered in snow - but the majority of it lacks the effect completely. Still, when it works, it's perhaps the best implementation of deformable material we've seen yet.
LOL.

I never claimed that the snow in ROTTR looked exactly like that. The point was that, as a reference point for snow rendering, ROTTR implements more of these characteristics than GOW does.

And I never claimed that all the materials in ROTTR look physically plausible, I was only talking about the snow. The quote you posted is referring to specular highlights OTHER than the snow.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Snow is the new fire in games now it seems.
I think they all look good.
And the fact a $400 Playstation can hold it's own to a high end PC running a game at 4k with all the fancyness turned up is super impressive.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
ROTTR snow looks great, but deformation in GoW looks alot better.

See, I don't have a problem with this statement. But it's all or nothing with some people in here.

taken as a whole, i find the snow in GOW much better looking than tomb raider. tomb raider snow looks ok until it starts deforming. then everything just goes bad. when it comes to the material and lighting aspects of it, GOW is indeed missing some elements, but it still manages to look better to my eyes. something about the materials in general in tomb raider is quite off

This is a reasonable post as well. At least you can acknowledge that there are differences beyond the deformation.

Maybe you should apply the same level of critical analysis when gushing over BoTW, which looks like dog shit compared to any game in this thread. PC+Nintendo fanboys are the worst hypocrites when it comes to graphics and I think people should steer clear of them in any thread about PS4 exclusive game graphics.
The bolded alone tells me you have no idea what brainchild was discussing in that thread. And to call him a hypocrite is just bizarre.

Its kinda pathetic that people go to such great heights to try to cut someone else's ropes, when in the process of doing so, they clearly have no idea why they are cutting the rope to begin with.

And that's not even mentioning the hyperbole of your post.

Oh, god, the lighting on wood materials in Fallout 4 made NO SENSE. It should serve as a perfect example as to why PBR doesn't always result in better looking materials.
That's actually a nice comparison with GOW. They really do look alike in the quality of materials. I would say that they both look too dry, if that makes any sense? Earlier in the thread i already noted that Kratos's skin looks like rubber, and not actual skin. The same problem is also present in Fallout 4. It is PBR, and it looks very detailed, but it does not look like actual skin, which are things Hellblade, HZD, Uncharted clearly do a better job at.

Even in this thread, I have someone berating me for praising Zelda's graphics too much, despite the context being totally different and the fact that whenever I bring up the best looking games, I NEVER mention BOTW. You just can't win sometimes.
Its a forbidden comment, but i geniunely believe that some of such commentary is done by people who simply do not understand what they arguing about. Its not without reason why, whenever ill edit your analysis, i stick a note in the beginning of a thread detailing that what is about to come is highly technical.

That isn't to say that not everyone can know about all the terms on display here, but in this case, its much less a case of not knowing a certain term and more a case of geniunely having no idea of what you are criticizing someone over. As such, such criticism appears as highly uneducated, and also as not being interested enough to pay actual attention to what is said.

ROTTR looks like shit.

Now i have read it all :/ What is it with folks having an endless appetite to downplay any random game to absurdity with statements like this? Its like trying to make sense of a Smokepurpp song - You can't, so why make this statement of pure hyperbole in the first place? Its absolutely sillywag levels of what?

Please tell me what the point of the bolded is if it isnt to intentionally bait people into getting pissed off.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Bro you can't be serious this doesn't look good at all. GOW and HZD look so much better than this.

I have to say though that all you guys coming in here with technical specs with games and not being able to see stuff like this and admit that it looks just phenomenal

Bn5HT9X.gif

Is kind of sad.

GOW looks so so insanely good.
Do I think the Division and Unity look amazing on a PC Rig maxed out?
Yes.
Do I think they look holy shit amazing like this above?
No

Do I give a shit that there isn't some type of specific tech you guys get all hot and bothered by on Krato's eyeball in this scene?
No

Do I wish Kratos had a bit higher polygon count because his arms aren't flexing enough with his veins popping out?
No

It actually makes me feel sad for you guys.

Last edited:

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More than any game GoW really makes me wish I had a Pro. And the TV to take advantage of it.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
The part you specifically underlined does.
Cool, no worries. Tech knowledge is limited I admit.
Now i have read it all :/ What is it with folks having an endless appetite to downplay any random game to absurdity with statements like this? Its like trying to make sense of a Smokepurpp song - You can't, so why make this statement of pure hyperbole in the first place? Its absolutely sillywag levels of what?

Please tell me what the point of the bolded is if it isnt to intentionally bait people into getting pissed off.
No sorry, shit was a very poor choice. I'll edit it out because it does look a little bit baity and downplays ROTTR snow tech.

Bro you can't be serious this doesn't look good at all. GOW and HZD look so much better than this.

I have to say though that all you guys coming in here with technical specs with games and not being able to see stuff like this and admit that it looks just phenomenal

Bn5HT9X.gif

Is kind of sad.

GOW looks so so insanely good.
Do I think the Division and Unity look amazing on a PC Rig maxed out?
Yes.
Do I think they look holy shit amazing like this above?
No

Do I give a shit that there isn't some type of specific tech you guys get all hot and bothered by on Krato's eyeball in this scene?
No

Do I wish Kratos had a bit higher polygon count because his arms aren't flexing enough with his veins popping out?
No

It actually makes me feel sad for you guys.
that Gif is amazing.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Not as bad as the water in Horizon, though.

Whats the best water this gen so far? AC Origins?

Best water is easily Sea of Thieves. I could seriously just watch it for minutes on minutes. Its so stunning.

Also I feel like none of you guys downplaying GOW are actually playing it because if you are playing it and you have gotten to at least the first boss fight and didn't have an insane grin on your face the whole time and weren't impressed by the visuals on display and didn't go WOW when you see the snow being torn up all around you and the boss as you splinter trees and rocks and split boulders in half seriously do you guys like anything or do you only enjoy a game you can pause go into an editor and look at the reflection of the environment on the characters eye?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is more going on in Horizon and GoW than just snow deformation and pushing pixels. Tomb Raider is a great looking game but it has some very last gen foliage, lighting and other materials. It's basically a cross gen game like Watch Dogs, MGSV and Destiny as far as I am concerned. They are all great looking game, but GoW, Horizon and Uncharted are doing more than pushing pixels and being good at specific tech. It's the quality of the overall image that matters. The cinematography. You cant go and hail some game as the best looking game ever made if it just did really good rain. If that was the case, MGS2 and RE5 would win best looking game in 2018.

There are times in GoW where it looks borderline CG at times. The way the light comes through in caves, the way the light shines on kratos and his son, the way he animates all come together to create something truly extraordinary.

it's funny that last gen Sony studios were dismissed because all they did was make linear games. KZ2, Uncharted 2 were dismissed by the same people as corridor shooters. GoW3 was dismissed because it didnt have a controllable camera. Now this gen Guerrilla has made a fully open world game, Naughty Dog has made these gigantic open world levels and so has God of War. All with the visual fidelity that surpasses more linear so called corridor shooters.

That said, I was very pleased to see AC Origins which at times looked as good as Horizon. The post launch downgrade in that game really hurt its overall reception, but I think the teams behind AC Origin, AC Unity and Batman Arkham Knight are just as talented as these Sony studios. They are sadly held back by a Xbox one GPU with only 1.3 Tflops which means the 500 gflops (nearly 2x the power of the Xbox 360 GPU) is wasted on the PS4, used mainly to boost resolution instead of gorgeous looking visual effects we see in Sony exclusives.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Oh Yeah, water in Sea of Thieves and AC:O is pretty darn amazing. Comparatively, HZD and GoW look fucking dreadful in comparison.
I wonder what happened there?

Probably just not a priority.
Water looks okay from afar in Horizon and you don't have to interact with it too much. Also most water in Horizon is rivers so the lack of 3D reactions of water to the character don't stick out.
I expected more from GoW water though, since you spend a lot of time in the boat and while it looks okay, its not on the same level as some of the other visual effects in the game.

Maybe Kojima pushes for better water tech in Guerillas Engine.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This debate can go on forever with neither side ever being able to "convert" the other side and "win". I think though we can all agree that God of War looks damn amazing overall, no matter what graphics technology it does or doesn't use. I have no desire to play it whatsoever, but to deny it looks amazing and is one of the best looking overall games this generation is insincere at best.

I'd love to see a SIGGRAPH article about what tech it does use in depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.