• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Article is below -- I've just pulled the initial few paragraphs. Please give it a read.

Link

God of War's rave critical acclaim upon its embargo lifting this week – the game has scored 9s and 10s everywhere, and is currently rated 95 on Metacritic, which makes it the third highest rated game of the generation, behind only The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey – has brought with it another stark reminder that Sony's first party is on fire right now, delivering one hit after another. In fact, Sony has been doing this for a while now- just a little over a year ago, they delivered the similarly well received, generation defining Horizon: Zero Dawn. Rivals Nintendo have similarly been firing on all cylinders, with games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey forming possibly the company's best output in its entire history, and some of the greatest games ever made.

The release of all of these games has brought with it a sobering reminder of Xbox's severe first party weakness, every single time. PlayStation and Nintendo fans have routinely been able to enjoy high quality releases through the generation- Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade 2– but it's hard to remember the last time Xbox had a similarly rapturously well received first party release. Forza Horizon 3 perhaps comes the closest, but by virtue of being a racing game, doesn't quite dominate media buzz and mainstream chatter in quite the same way.

On the contrary, Xbox's major releases have all mostly been clunkers this generation- games like ReCore, Ryse: Son of Rome, and Quantum Break were outright disappointments, Sea of Thieves ended years of hype with a game that, while some appreciate, seems to have failed to connect with most, and even Microsoft's tentpole releases, such as Halo 5: Guardians and Gears of War 4, failed to excite the masses- they did fine, but you didn't see the media and mainstream audiences falling over themselves to hail those games. They weren't considered new achievements for the medium like Breath of the Wild or God of War. They came out, did reasonably well by selling to their existing fans, and… nothing.

I agree with the bulk of this article. Although Microsoft has some decent games on their platform from first party, the majority of the stuff is only okay. They don't really have any stand out titles as of late. In the last 17 years they've only had a few stand outs -- Halo, Gears and Forza. The first two of those have fallen off from where they used to be last generation - they have the team that made Ori too, which is great ... but really, they haven't had a game that has stood out in quite some time.

Is this an over reaction or do you largely agree with the article? I know Phil mentioned it takes time, but as an owner myself, I'm getting tired of waiting.

Edit: Can a mod kindly edit the title to say Deliver instead of Delivery?

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Oh no... not this shit again

*Microsoft can't ever catch a break, and on the horizon it's only going to get worse.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's a shitty move from gamingbolt to publish an article like this with a fair criticism of MS' first party output dressed in console wars bullshit to kick the hornet's nest. Really immature and embarrassing.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm starting to think is not even fair... Let Microsoft do their plan instead of forcing them to reach the stars with every new game.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If the article author is expecting Crackdown 3 to be received like GoW then he's in for a ride, has some good points though, every critically acclaimed game from rivals will just make Microsoft's situation worse.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
This is making Crackdown out to be a series that's similar to Halo and Gears in terms of AAA impact. It was never at that level. The first game was solid (not amazing) and the second was disappointing.

This is pretty silly. I agree that Microsoft could use a major AAA title but we shouldn't expect that from Crackdown 3 in my opinion.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 is not going to be the game that is going to "deliver" for MS on this level. It's objectives are entirely different.

Honestly the only rumored title that I think could possibly do that would be Fable by Playground.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only Microsoft first party game that's even going to come close to Sony's output is Forza Horizon 4, and that's a racing game so it's obviously going to be incredibly overlooked for major awards etc.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That article title feels so ugh. The article overall is pretty decent. More same same really but a good opinion you see in posts here on Era also. Just not wrapped in a hot take title.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To built several 1st party teams, that can create really good games needs time.
After they stopped making more besides Gears, Halo & Forza in 2010, Phil Spencer and his
team had to fix the hot mess that was left behind with the XBOX ONE Launch.
I wouldn't expect games with that variety and quality until next gen.

And with a huuuuge company like Microsoft, you just never know how often higher ups try
to have influence. Sony Interactive Entertainment is more closed and has the back from people
like Kaz. They are successful and it's their most value brand. That's just not the case with XBOX

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
What are these games media people doing with these articles lately loool.
There must be a better way than this.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I see one of the most clickbaity sites has been active again lately. Why do we always have to talk about Microsoft when Sony is succeeding? MS is not into the type of singleplayer games Sony makes.

For the sake of Era I suggest we agree to stop making threads about their articles.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is going on with Gamingbolt.

With Ready Player One's Success the Onus is on Gamingbolt to Deliver with their next sensational article.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean. It's Crackdown. A solid 7 series at best. It would be extraordinary for it to turn into even a 90+ game. Especially as it seems like development has been troubled

MS has nothing on the horizon to compete, but hopefully E3 shakes the lineup a bit. It has to really

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck does Crackdown 3 have ANYTHING to do with GoW?

Crackdown was never an epic tale of great proportions. It hardly has a story. It's an open world sanbox with fun whacky mechanics.

This feels like clickbait, even after reading through it I get a sense of just inciting for the sake of kicking the hornets nest.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the article author is expecting Crackdown 3 to be received like GoW then he's in for a ride, has some good points though, every critically acclaimed game from rivals will just make Microsoft's situation worse.

This is making Crackdown out to be a series that's similar to Halo and Gears in terms of AAA impact. It was never at that level. The first game was solid (not amazing) and the second was disappointing.

This is pretty silly. I agree that Microsoft could use a major AAA title but we shouldn't expect that from Crackdown 3 in my opinion.
the article does pretty clearly say that Crackdown 3 won't be GoW level, but that it just needs to at be very least be a decent, well received game.

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
Crackdown 3 looks like had rough development and trailers looked basically higher resolution version of 2.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is some desperate baiting by GB. If this was a ResetEra thread title it would be (rightfully) dismantled as warrior BS. Crackdown is mostly about multiplayer, whilst it does include SP, it doesn't offer anything like the experience GoW does, and so appeals to a completely different audience. You can still be an all out success without reaching the tradional 90+ rating on MC.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd be shocked if Crackdown 3 garners extremely positive critical reception. Forza Horizon 4 on the other hand....

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given that Crackdown 3 was in development long before God of War, I'm hoping is at least very good. There are different technical challenges involved though and maybe they found the cloud aspect of Crackdown 3 too tough.

Sea of Thieves, State of Decay and Crackdown don't feel 'AAA' or big gaming showcases/events. Hopefully Microsoft Studios have got a few of those brewing behind the scenes.

Roy Mastang

Banned
Mar 23, 2018
To me, Microsoft always invested in shooters and racers where Sony challenged themselves offering games with artistic integrity similar only to Nintendo.

So, credit where credit is due. I would like t see Microsoft hiring artists for their games too with a grand vision.

Not alien shooting all the time. It gets boring

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
What a shitty clickbait title. There's no doubt that Microsoft needs to considerably improve their first party output but no single game is going to define it. Crackdown 3 just needs to be a good game for it's own sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.