• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
How is the performance on a regular PS4? I'm thinking of getting this but the reportS of it running badly have me concerned.

Oct 27, 2017
Man the online connection problem is annoying, but besides that this game is funny as hell. Can't wait till more of my friends get it.

Anyone know how to throw?

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Played some more with some friends over and if just plain fun to play locally. Also updated the OP with modes, trophies and some videos.
Man the online connection problem is annoying, but besides that this game is funny as hell. Can't wait till more of my friends get it.

Anyone know how to throw?
Been wondering this too. I've been grabbing folks with r1 and L1 and pressing X and letting go of grab at the same time. I'm sure there may be a better way of throwing beasts.

Also:

Last edited:

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played this locally with a coupe of friends yesterday and I can't think of another game the last generations that made me laugh so much.
It's just stupid fun.
Frame rate tanks when you smash windows, the camera is absolute shit and a bunch of the levels are just really badly designed and not fun at all but other than that I really recommend it if you have friends to play with.

Oct 27, 2017
Played some more with some friends over and if just plain fun to play locally. Also updated the OP with modes, trophies and some videos.

Been wondering this too. I've been grabbing folks with r1 and L1 and pressing X and letting go of grab at the same time. I'm sure there may be a better way of throwing beasts.

Also:

So I've learned that to hold someone over your head you hold L1 + R1 and then hold triangle. To throw you do all of that and use your momentum to toss them over the edge. You can hold x to build the momentum by running.

So all that together you'll be holding L1+R1+Triangle+X

DL Clyde

Oct 25, 2017
So I've learned that to hold someone over your head you hold L1 + R1 and then hold triangle. To throw you do all of that and use your momentum to toss them over the edge. You can hold x to build the momentum by running.

Jesus, I need two right thumbs to pull that technique off!

Also how is the matchmaking in this game? I am currently 5 minutes into a search but considering this game is a little niche, I can't tell if the matchmaking is broken or that not many have the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, I need two right thumbs to pull that technique off!

Also how is the matchmaking in this game? I am currently 5 minutes into a search but considering this game is a little niche, I can't tell if the matchmaking is broken or that not many have the game.
It's not that hard really, also you don't need X it's jsur to speed up things. They've said they realize there's some problems with the matchmaking. I've had searches for minutes and then some that were instant.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Oh wow you're right. Just grab someone with L1+R1 and to lift someone above your head hold triangle. No X needed.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've gotten throwing down pat the game is easier against ai, wanna do online but I keep getting the check your connection error:/

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this on and off for a couple of days.

The good:

- It's a lot of fun. Get the right stage and it can be properly funny as you all mash into each other, wobbling about like mad jelly babies. My son and I were having a whale of a time. Some of the physics are hilarious.
- The costumes etc are great, some real nonsense which adds to the comedy.
- Matchmaking has mostly been ok. Sometimes takes a few minutes to find a game, but generally not too bad.

The less great:

- I'm getting a lot of what I assume is input lag. Times without number I've pressed to jump and nothing happens and I fall off something.
- Performance is up and down. Mostly it's fine, but every so often framerate tanks.
- The user interface isnt great. It looks amateurish to me, button prompts dotted about, no coherent style to any of it. The whole main menu screen looks pretty bad, just a crappy looking alley. There is no visual flair to any of it.
- Visually very basic. Which is mostly fine, it essentially suits the type of game but there seems to be plenty of aliasing. The end scoreboard with the star balloons looks rough as fuck.
- A lot of the stages aren't great. I think the game is at its best when you have some room to roam around, brawl in different places, pick stuff up and throw it. Incinerator, subway, rooftop are all decent. However there are lots of stages that simply don't foster what the game is about. Trucks is a nice idea badly done, ferris wheel simply doesn't work, elevators doesn't allow for any sort of decent brawl etc etc. Too many stages are too hemmed in for any real experimentation, too many are over in seconds as you fall off something because jump didn't work. Hopefully they can improve or widen the range of stages available.

Don't get the impression I don't like it though, I do, I think it's great and when it all comes together is seriously funny. It just needs a quality pass, some better stages and maybe a simple re-jig of the UI.

Last edited:

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
I played this the other day and I can echo a lot of comments here, it is the first game in a long time which has made me laugh constantly whilst playing. I am not sure how great it would be single player or even online against randoms, but with a group of mates I can highly recommend it.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing more of this with my 7 year old son, he LOVES it. So much, laughing his arse off. He also seems to have a killer headbutt move going on, I'm forever getting knocked out.

So the matchmaking seems to be ok for me, I've not had any issues since the other day. Performance seems mostly ok too, not had any big drops lately.

My main issue comes back around to the stages, a lot of them simply aren't conducive to getting any fun out of the game. They're either over in seconds as you fall through the floor, or put your jelly baby man in a position where you have limited options to actually fight. They need to get some better maps up ASAP I'd say, some that play to the strengths of the game (proper wide ranging brawling, physics objects etc) rather than feeling like some dismal phsyics platformer.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I've just put it aside until matchmaking is sorted.

It's like For Honor all over again, loved that MP but the bad servers/network code whatever killed my desire to play it.

Oct 27, 2017
Latest patch installed, matchmaking is mostly broken for me.

All this sitting at the menu screen failing to matchmake really drives home how fucking awful the front end is. Awful graphics, terrible UI.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Apart from a short blip, I've had more success with the matchmaking since the new PS4 update, less lag too.

It sucks that there are still server problems a week later but I ain't giving up the game. It's too fun when it works.

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses but I've had similar problems with AAA shooters this year and if they still can't get it right with all the resources they have then a few guys from Sheffield have no chance.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Played it for many hours during saturday night with three friends (in the same couch, as it is meant to be played) and lot's of beer. One hell of a good time. Game certainly aint perfect (need more good stages) but it had us laughing more than in a long time. I hope they do some dlc in the future.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Okay, I bought out of peer pressure. This doesn't absolve you of working on improving the game though Boneloaf! :P I really wanna see some proper patches dropping.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
How does this run on a PS4 Pro?
Honestly not that bad; the performance issues have been blown out of proportion, at least on the Pro. Although I am about to play on base PS4 with friends.

Edit: both consoles run pretty smoothly until a huge amount of physics is happening, and in those instances the base one clearly suffers more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's fun and surprisingly challenging to go for the trophies in this game. Of course, you should play with someone who'll let you go for particular trophies and not try and throw you our of the map. Heh

As far as maps go, I'm not a fan of Blimp. All the other maps are fine but a big problem I have with Blimp is that it simply doesn't run well. There's a bit of slowdown. There's not a problem like that with the other maps I feel.

Also:

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Finally played it with a group of friends. Just like the alpha with more variety, more stages, more laughs and no extra fat. Such an elegant, pure gaming experience.

Only played local PS4 so I can't attest to any performance or networking issues others have been having. Sometimes it'd be a bit weird with how it chose who won, especially on the subway stage, but we were having so much fun that winners and losers didn't matter much in the long term.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So I was looking in the PSN store and noticed this game is the top selling digital game for PS4? Then I looked at how many likes the game has got and it's 43.7k. Which seems extremely high to me.

I guess a congratulations is in order! Good shit Boneloaf.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
So I was looking in the PSN store and noticed this game is the top selling digital game for PS4? Then I looked at how many likes the game has got and it's 43.7k. Which seems extremely high to me.

I guess a congratulations is in order! Good shit Boneloaf.

Hope it's success means a long period of support, although I'd be forgiven for hoping for that. Game needs updates stat.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
Gang Beasts has suddenly leapt up to #2 on the most played on Game Pass, only outplayed by Forza as of this movement. What gives?