• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice! They updated the STEAM Artwork

49470104803_b517603734_o.png
Eh, I'll stick with my custom art.

Last edited:

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Just played a bunch of sets with a friend and fuuuuuck the online is so good.

Also I don't remember anything about Garou apparently.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
There's a stream with the Garou game director discussing the game. Before they got started, he asked what everyone thought of the netcode.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone willing to stick and improve with this, or is it just flavor rollback of the month ah ah ah.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
If Fightcade is any indication, then there of course will be a small community of players that sticks with this game until the end of the time.
Yeah, I know that, sorry, I meant here on Era. I encounter so many 10+ years players stomping me it's nice to play with people learning around the same time ^^

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's an old game, so I'm not going to devote lots of lab time to it. But if anyone ever wants to play I'm down (PC).

As great as the netcode update was, it was never going to keep big numbers just due to how old the game is. They need to put it in new games if they want player retention, not old ones.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's an old game, so I'm not going to devote lots of lab time to it. But if anyone ever wants to play I'm down (PC).

As great as the netcode update was, it was never going to keep big numbers just due to how old the game is. They need to put it in new games if they want player retention, not old ones.
I agree on player retention, but I don't want big numbers anyway, doesn't matter to me, as long as I've got some pool with good connexion. I already encountered and added some randoms online, just wanted to see if there were some here with the same approach ^^

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking this up to support them adding rollback. Is PS4 or PC the bigger user base?

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
How long has it been taking to find a match on PS4?

I'm not that great at traditional fighters, but the promise of good netcode and cheap price has me eyeing this. Would this be a good game to jump in with, from both a gampelay standpoint and community stand point? I'm assuming it's mostly vets online.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
How long has it been taking to find a match on PS4?

I'm not that great at traditional fighters, but the promise of good netcode and cheap price has me eyeing this. Would this be a good game to jump in with, from both a gampelay standpoint and community stand point? I'm assuming it's mostly vets online.
I usually find matches very quickly. You'll encounter many vets, yeah, but there is also an influx of new players due to the update and the promos.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
If you see no match don't be afraid to host a lobby. A lot of people like myself wait for one to show up.
I've surprisingly been having no trouble finding any rooms to join, but I'll keep this in mind once it starts to slow down.

No problem, if you're on PS4, my ID is Hyunsai972

IMG_20200209_203739.jpg
Thanks! I'm beyond horrendous at it now, but if I get a little better I'll definitely want to check around this thread to see if anyone wants to play. At the moment, I'm really liking Gato.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the director still work at SNK?
Yasuyuki Oda still works there yep. Also the other person interviewed, Nobuyuki Kuroki, was Lead Character Designer behind Garou and still works there. Kuroki also promised before he retired (which he said would probably be in 10-15 years) Garou 2 would be made. So Garou 2 semi-confirmed.
So does this at least improve the odds of King of Fighters getting Rollback? Maybe even Samurai Shodown?
For future titles it improves odds, but it's honestly probably too late for 15 and Samsho.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
So, just curiosity, are you guys playing with stick dpad or analog sticks on controller.
I usually play with dpad (ds4) because my stick is old (ps3) and not all games support legacy and is a bit inconvenient to set up. Plus if i play at night my wife would kill me with the sound made by microswitches...

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
If anyone is curious about the netcode, here's a match I had. I'm in the eastern Caribbean, my opponent is in North East England - 4,369 miles/7,031 kilometres apart.

With delay/lockstep netcode, we would never have even been matched with one another, as it surely would have been a 1 bar connection at best.

Another example of rollback netcode not only improving the experience, but expanding the number of players that can play together.

Got one with it off?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Got one with it off?
No, the only way I'd have been able to play that person without rollback netcode is if he was a friend and I invited him to a room. He was just a random person I got matched with.

There is this thread though which has an example of delay based netcode versus rollback netcode over the same poor connection:

www.resetera.com

An example of how (good) rollback netcode can make high ping connections playable in fighting games

There's something very wrong with my friend's internet connection. He's using his landlord's internet via wi-fi which is obviously less than ideal, but I see no reason why we should be experiencing ping over 300+ (according to the games - probably not totally accurate) when we live less than...

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering jumping in. I'm not really good at fighting games, and I've never played Garou. But I really like playing them and improving a little. The game is cheap enough on Steam even full price. The only reason I didn't buy it when it was on sale earlier was because I thought I already owned it from an old NEOGEO humble bundle. It's actually in the bundle, but it didn't have a steam key.

edit: the bundle was in 2015, a year before Garou launched on Steam, so that explains no steam key.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
It's on GOG for 1.79 € so I finally jumped in (I didn't because I already have it for Switch, but I've been aching for some SNK online play lately)

Is there crossplay between Steam and GOG versions?