• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played way longer than I should have last night. Had no real problem finding matches if I created a lobby and went to training. Pretty much everybody online is a killer. I'm pretty decent at the game and I legit couldn't touch like 4-5 players I ran into even in longer sets.

Netcode is perfect. Port feels amazing to me, but I never put much time into the arcade version.

I'm the kind of person that loves official releases over going on fightcade, so every game that gives me an opportunity to give the devs money for a great online experience is one I'm there for.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Sucks that i have to wait until my payiment to buy it, i will miss the activity peak for it. But at least i'll have an easy way to play with different people now.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea of which platform has the most active online for this right now? I already own the PS4/Vita versions, but I'll go PC if people are actually playing on there.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Are people playing online again? I was never able to get all the trophies in this b/c I could rarely find matches online lol. Anyways this is very cool

Connection quality (video)
OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is curious about the netcode, here's a match I had. I'm in the eastern Caribbean, my opponent is in North East England - 4,369 miles/7,031 kilometres apart.

With delay/lockstep netcode, we would never have even been matched with one another, as it surely would have been a 1 bar connection at best.

Another example of rollback netcode not only improving the experience, but expanding the number of players that can play together.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
If anyone is curious about the netcode, here's a match I had. I'm in the eastern Caribbean, my opponent is in North East England - 4,369 miles/7,031 kilometres apart.

With delay/lockstep netcode, we would never have even been matched with one another, as it surely would have been a 1 bar connection at best.

Another example of rollback netcode not only improving the experience, but expanding the number of players that can play together.

Yo, are you the Terry or the Butt?
Marco Rodriguez is my main too!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Are people playing online again? I was never able to get all the trophies in this b/c I could rarely find matches online lol. Anyways this is very cool
I got two trophies last night for online wins, so I think you'll likely be able to eek them all out over the weekend.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I've been playing daily with the x360 port of the game on my Xbox One X at work, though only offline matches. I might look into it playing Online matches from home now that this got added. I assume there's no crossplay between the different platforms (Except maybe Vita to PS4?), but what about between the different versions (ie: Steam & GOG)?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing daily with the x360 port of the game on my Xbox One X at work, though only offline matches. I might look into it playing Online matches from home now that this got added. I assume there's no crossplay between the different platforms (Except maybe Vita to PS4?), but what about between the different versions (ie: Steam & GOG)?

All versions except for the 360 version and the switch version are now the codemystics port. There's no crossplay (yet?).

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, there's only PS4 to Vita crossplay. Unfortunately no Steam to GOG.

And I read that you can revert the new version to the old DotEmu version on Steam, for whatever reason.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes. This could mean great things for KOFXV.
I hope so but I really doubt it. That would only be the case if they brought in Code Mystics during development. We've seen them hire Code Mystics to put rollback in their retro titles before, only to continue to release new games with delay-based netcode. It's perplexing. Someone at SNK clearly understands the need for rollback - else they wouldn't bother touching these old games - yet it's somehow not seen as worthwhile for the new games they develop?

Boogler

Dec 11, 2017
USA
To be fair the 360 port was always bad. Like it was basically the Dreamcast port.
The 360 version from XBLA is basically the PS2 version with the guard cancel text display bug fixed. Even now, it has the lowest input lag of all ports, IIRC. Both it and the PS2 version run a smidge faster than the arcade, but other than that they are both very good ports.

I have all three (XBLA, PS2, and Dreamcast), and I have also played the original MVS many times. TBH for offline play the XBLA version is probably still the best port.

But yeah, Dreamcast port is trash.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Steam page no longer says "mixed" for reviews. Now changed to "mostly positive", while recent reviews are "very positive".

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The 360 version from XBLA is basically the PS2 version with the guard cancel text display bug fixed. Even now, it has the lowest input lag of all ports, IIRC. Both it and the PS2 version run a smidge faster than the arcade, but other than that they are both very good ports.

I have all three (XBLA, PS2, and Dreamcast), and I have also played the original MVS many times. TBH for offline play the XBLA version is probably still the best port.

But yeah, Dreamcast port is trash.
Did they patch it to fix the audio issues and frame skip? Until the native PS4/Vita ports the PS2 was arguably the best home version. At least the demo/trial for the 360 version looked awful and ran kind of poopy when it came out. Not that it matters now of course, but it's nice to hear if they did fix the issues it had.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Ended up playing this an extra hour more than I planned. It's good. It's damn good. Did not have one bad match. The worst match I had was one with 4 frame delay and 150ms ping and it was more than playable. Anything below 100 pretty much nearly felt as responsive as in the same room

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Just got home and tried the new netcode and wow! It's perfect! Now I'm even more mad that other fg's don't have rollback...

Anyone here wants to play a few matches? My psn is: PiccoroDaimaoh

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
Played against a friend across the country for about an hour. Games felt smooth. Gonna play some more tonight and leave a review on Steam later on.

5 gifts from SoH

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 5 gifts from SoH SoH!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

SoH said:
Did this shit on mobile so hopefully all works lol

Good luck!!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES - Won by Cantaim Cantaim (15 entries)
  • Steam Steam: GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES - Won by Death Penalty Death Penalty (10 entries)
  • Steam Steam: GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES - Won by Etrian Darkness Etrian Darkness (10 entries)
  • Steam Steam: GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES - Won by Miker Miker (10 entries)
  • Steam Steam: GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES - Won by Saikyo Saikyo (11 entries)

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats and thanks to Code Mystics on "rebooting" an absolute fucking banger. Definitely deserving of all the love and support. ♥♥♥

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The game has now broken it's all-time player peak on Steam. Still a small number, but it's good to see more people playing it now than ever before thanks to rollback netcode.