• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Max streamed Garou tonight. And you know it was great netcode when people kept hopping into the stream and not realizing he was playing people online.

which led max to have a great time and then it Ended with a rant because it was more salt in the wound for all the games he enjoys more but have worse netcode
Listening to the rant right now, and it's not even about how games he likes more have worse netcode. It's about how games made by WAY bigger companies have worse netcome. He just goes off on Bandai Namco for their fuck-awful online in all of their fighters (which includes Smash) while Code Mystics and the dudes making Fight of Animals get rollback. It's insane that this is the case. Same with Capcom and SFV, and SNK with KOFXIV/SamSho.

Something tells me that he'll start to like Garou a lot more now that it's not actively painful to play online.

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
Reviews on Steam are currently 81% positive. Before the update, I think it was in the mid 60s.

Hopefully reviews and sales are enough for SNK to invest in getting the other Code Mystics ports updated with rollback netcode. Would be nice if non-Code Mystics ports like KOF XIV got rollback as well. I'd actually buy it. I do realize that game is a bigger challenge since it can have more than 2 people in a room. Don't remember exactly what Code Mystics said regarding bigger lobbies and their code.

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
skillzilla81

I see you
qxm3y51.png

Also rollback when done right is so so good. I just found out the guy I was playing earlier is in the UK. 7,031 kilometres away.
I would never even be able to connect to that guy if it was delay-based netplay.

Is that ME!?

Does resetera make up all 100 people in the world playing this game rn on steam :P?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the rant right now, and it's not even about how games he likes more have worse netcode. It's about how games made by WAY bigger companies have worse netcome. He just goes off on Bandai Namco for their fuck-awful online in all of their fighters (which includes Smash) while Code Mystics and the dudes making Fight of Animals get rollback. It's insane that this is the case. Same with Capcom and SFV, and SNK with KOFXIV/SamSho.

Something tells me that he'll start to like Garou a lot more now that it's not actively painful to play online.
I mean that's part of it too but he goes onto to talk about games he loves much more (with bigger budgets) he's reluctant to play because of their trash online. Like Tekken, Guilty Gear Xrd, KOF 13, etc

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I'm so glad more people are playing it, garou is my fav fighting game ever. Everything about this game is perfect to me.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad more people are playing it, garou is my fav fighting game ever. Everything about this game is perfect to me.

This, a2, and VS are my favorite 2d 1v1 fighters of all time.

I never really played kof growing up, so I really hope 2k2 and 98 get updated because I am super excited to learn them after playing 13 and 14.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
This, a2, and VS are my favorite 2d 1v1 fighters of all time.

I never really played kof growing up, so I really hope 2k2 and 98 get updated because I am super excited to learn them after playing 13 and 14.
2002 ultimate match on steam is already done by code mystics i think. IIrc the netcode is good, but there's not many people there(because everyone is on fightcade for that one).

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
Garou MOTW won me over pretty easily. At first glance, I didn't know what to think of a mostly all new Fatal Fury cast and gameplay that was different from Real Bout and KOF. I came to appreciate the gameplay, the animation, and the new direction Fatal Fury was going in after playing it in a laundromat.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah I hope they patch 98um and 02um but do a "Global Match" version of 98 and 2002, the only problem for the latter is K9999, maybe they could hack Nameless to be in the game haha?

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
not sure if "solutions" is an appropiate word since most of them run like shit. I'd rather use methods.
MK11 and MvCI have great netcode. Unfortunately Capcom haven't retroactively applied their improved rollback to SFV though :/
I'm glad rollback is becoming more widely used, I just wish the larger Japanese fighting game devs were more willing to use it, or improve past failed attempts(something SFV needs).

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this online tonight. Great netcode, but holy shit you encounter some monsters who must have played that shit for years ah ah ah.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you want any SNK ports or rollback added to SNK games...

Pz4mRq2.png
Did my part.

And I think the active games like Samurai Shodown and the upcoming KOFXV should be the main focus.

As Max said last night, older games getting updated with rollback is cool, appriciated, and all, but it's not going to have that big of an impact of sales or keeping player numbers.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did my part.

And I think the active games like Samurai Shodown and the upcoming KOFXV should be the main focus.

Would be great if SamSho got a rollback update. I got it for Xmas and to no surprise it's completely fucking dead online. I don't even get a chance to whine about the netcode because everyone already stopped playing because of it.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Would be great if SamSho got a rollback update. I got it for Xmas and to no surprise it's completely fucking dead online. I don't even get a chance to whine about the netcode because everyone already stopped playing because of it.
Was on life support barely a month after release. A real shame.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Man this is weird. The game doesn't seem to be losing players. It broke it's all-time 24 hour player peak after this netcode update, and it's been doing it repeatedly since then. The latest being 2 hours ago, 3 days after the update. (Steam version)

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The thirst for rollback netcode is real. Imagine if Code Mystics gets tapped by SNK to fix *all* of their back catalogue.

EDIT: Max on-stream tonight saying that KOF13 would be a great next game to fix up. It's also conveniently on sale on Steam right now for $5.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man this is weird. The game doesn't seem to be losing players. It broke it's all-time 24 hour player peak after this netcode update, and it's been doing it repeatedly since then. The latest being 2 hours ago, 3 days after the update. (Steam version)

It's almost like when the online is good people tend to play it more.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
The thirst for rollback netcode is real. Imagine if Code Mystics gets tapped by SNK to fix *all* of their back catalogue.

EDIT: Max on-stream tonight saying that KOF13 would be a great next game to fix up. It's also conveniently on sale on Steam right now for $5.

Didn't even really think about KOF13... That would be amazing..

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
This, and bring it over to the current gen on a Sony platform, because PSNow is not a good option for this.
I would buy it in a heartbeat...

Piccoro Unless I'm mistaken, I think you sent me a PSN invite for Garou last night. Sorry if it got ignored, I was out for the night and one of my sibling was playing a game in my absence. Otherwise, I would've joined in a heartbeat.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm available today for some matches, for those interested. Decided to main Terry, I'll see where that goes lol.

What are you guys choosing in the rollback option ? Fixed input ? How many frames depending of the ping ?