• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
www.pinknews.co.uk

Gay man brutally murdered and beheaded by family in Iran in 'honour killing'

A gay man from Iran was brutally murdered and beheaded by his family in a horrific "honour killing" after they found out he was gay.

An Iranian gay man was brutally murdered and beheaded by his family in a horrific "honour killing" after they found out he was gay.
Alireza Fazeli-Monfared, 20, was reportedly murdered by his brother and cousins on Tuesday (4 May) after they discovered the Iranian military exempted him from service because of "sexual depravities".

At around 7pm on Tuesday evening, Alireza spoke to his mother on the phone for the last time, his best friend Aghil Abyat told Iran Wire.

Shortly afterwards, his half-brother arrived at Alireza's residence and said their father needed to see him. Alireza was taken by car to the village of Borumi, near the capital of Ahvaz, where his brother and cousins murdered and beheaded him, before dumping his body by a tree.

Alireza had been planning to flee Iran and join his boyfriend as a refugee in Turkey before his death. His partner, activist Aghil Bayat, told Iranian LGBT+ network 6rang that the killers called Alireza's mother directly after the murder and told her where to find his body.

Alireza's mother was "hospitalised with shock" following the murder, Bayat said. He later told Radio Zamaneh that Alireza's killers have been arrested.

This makes me so angry, I am a middle eastern man myself who is lgbt and I don't understand this, it's "shameful" to be gay but not shameful to murder your own family and behead them? The fuck, I hope they rot in jail.

And I feel so bad for the mother and boyfriend, I can't imagine what they are going through right now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Horrific, and sad.

The fuck, I hope they rot in jail.

Am I right in assuming that there's basically no punishment for "honor killings" like this? There was a string of killings last year related to women's rights in Iran, and IIRC, there was basically no punishment. I think like one of the perpetrators was censured for using a blunt instrument instead of a sharp instrument, which sounds almost like a Monty Python skit, but it was real... From what I understand a parent or older relative killing a younger relative (in this case, Father bludgeoned his daughter to death) is generally not punished.

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
My husband and I love the historical/cultural/tourist concept of visiting such a culturally rich place like Iran someday, but it's just not feasible given things like this. We aren't about to get murdered as tourists. Stories like this make that travel fear heavier. Russia and Iran and parts of the Middle East/Asia are just better to avoid as a gay couple

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article says they were found and are in jail right now so thankfully it seems like something is getting done.
Yeah I saw that as well, but I mean they could still be let go with a slap on the wrist right? Depending on the country, idk like the UAE or something, I could see nothing being done as a result. Or am I misinformed?

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
For these human pieces of waste being LGBT is a bigger sin than being a kinslayer. Pathetic

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The absolute furthest thing from honorable you sick fucks.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand how anyone could do something like this to their family. This is awful. RIP :(

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Horrific, and sad.

Am I right in assuming that there's basically no punishment for "honor killings" like this? There was a string of killings last year related to women's rights in Iran, and IIRC, there was basically no punishment.
Yeah I saw that as well, but I mean they could still be let go with a slap on the wrist right? Depending on the country, idk like the UAE or something, I could see nothing being done as a result. Or am I misinformed?

Sadly (and I can be wrong on this) but there definitely isn't enough push back against this, honor killings happen in these countries and most (if likely all) of the times It gets ignored.

Something needs to change.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
How does one go about living life to think murdering their own family member is less horrific to do than said family member being gay. I just don't understand what compels others to do such things when it doesn't effect them in any way.

RIP Alireza.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The murderers being arrested means nothing considering that it was the government's policy of exposing individual's sexuality on these military exempt notices that alerted these fucked up pieces of shit to Alireza's sexuality. It almost seems like it's by design. I doubt any true justice will be done to them.

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
This sickens me to my core... Those fucking monsters!!

Mind your own fucking business, you sick fucks!! That poor man... I feel so bad for the mother and the boyfriend. :(

Deleted member 82064

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Horrible but at the same time not surprising. Iran still has death penalty for homosexuality. I doubt the state is going to punish the perpetrators harshly considering state itself jails, tortures and hangs gay people.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
My heart breaks for this poor guy. It's sickening to even read something like this.

Dec 30, 2020
Can we never use the term "honor killing" again? Instead just make sure these monstrous assholes who do this kind of thing are labeled as craven murderous cowards. And instead of protecting their family's "honor" they've forever tainted their family's name. "Sorry I don't know the- oh wait, you mean those murderers? Sure, we all know the murder-family who even murder their own family members. Do I know anything else about them? Nope, doesn't matter."

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
20 years old. His own family. His brother and cousins.

It's awful enough to imagine random strangers doing such a thing, but his own family.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Can we please leave the word "honor" out of murdering someone for social or political reasons, please?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I first learned about "honor killings" in this movie I watched recently (about a gay Israeli and Palestinian having a secret affair and then the parents found out). I couldn't believe that was a "thing." Absolutely turned my stomach.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Straight up murder. Nothing honourable about the actions of the scum who killed Alireza.

I hope his mother and boyfriend are given some semblance of justice.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
You absolutely have to be some kind of psychopath to murder someone for their sexual preference.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Monsters don't deserve to be given familial titles. Brothers and cousins they are not.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
What kind of bullshit brainwashing leads a person to conclude that the only way to restore some warped sense of 'honour' to your family is to kill your own fucking brother?

Absolutely disgusting.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
My husband and I love the historical/cultural/tourist concept of visiting such a culturally rich place like Iran someday, but it's just not feasible given things like this. We aren't about to get murdered as tourists. Stories like this make that travel fear heavier. Russia and Iran and parts of the Middle East/Asia are just better to avoid as a gay couple

Yeah, maybe someday, but I'm not visiting in the near future for sure

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I started to imagine what was going through his heart and mind when he realized his own family members were going to end his life then I stopped. I don't want to go there.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Once I joined twitter and started following more Arab lefties from the region, seeing these "honor killings" news and threads on my feed became a common occurrence, I had to mute many accounts for my own mental health because that shit fucks you up, and it's so scary learning it comes from family most of the time.

Hope the fuckers rot in jail, but you never know with these situations ..

slider

Nov 10, 2020

Such a shame as there's a lot to see. Actually, that's not exactly what I meant. It was the people (in Tehran) were so welcoming and blown away that an outsider was visiting. Really made the trip memorable.

Wonder how different the reactions would have been if I was lgbt. That said, it did feel strangely liberal. Or at least not as oppressively repressive as I'd expected.