Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
(CNN)Fifteen people, including five women, were punished with public caning Friday for violating Sharia law in Indonesia's conservative Aceh province.

Two men accused of being gay received 87 lashes each for gay sex, while nine others were sentenced up to 26 lashes for adultery. Four people were caned for being drunk, including one woman who received 27 lashes.
Carried out after Friday prayers, the flogging was attended by hundreds of spectators, including children, outside the Baiturrahim Mosque in Banda Aceh, the provincial capital.

In video of the punishment seen by CNN, people can be heard jeering as the detainees, who are wearing white, traditional koko shirts, are brought up to the scaffold in front of the mosque.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/14/asia/indonesia-banda-aceh-public-flogging-intl/index.html

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting, but people will still cling to their archaic and violent religions as long as it serves them. Anyone who was in that crowd and still supports the laws is a fool deprived of morals or empathy.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Damn, caning for being drunk, gay or an adulterer? What the fuck am I supposed to do with my free time, Indonesia?!

Is fun also illegal?

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Damn, caning for being drunk, gay or an adulterer? What the fuck am I supposed to do with my free time, Indonesia?!

Is fun also illegal?
those same rules apply to pretty much every other Islamic country too (except for Turkey, and maybe a few others), and Indonesia is the most populous of them
e: this seems to apply only to this province, and not all of Indonesia

and then you have the island of Bali, which is pretty much just Ibiza but for Australians

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018
The punishment for this was imprisonment earlier. Considering the squalid conditions there with famine and disease, i think i'd rather take the whip and be done with it.

So, being gay is 3 times as sinful as being an adulterer according to those bigoted idiots. Sickening.
Considering they're not allowed to marry, you could say that they're also committing fornication. I guess they don't do concurrent punishment.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda regret the separation failed after tsunami tbh

Fuck aceh with their special autonomy bs

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Is fun also illegal?
Probably not because I could see some of these people giving out the punishments enjoying it.

While there's so much shit here that's awful I'm always more amazed when other parts of the world just seem so barbaric. Who brings their children to watch that.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
A thing to note is that Aceh is more conservative than Indonesia as a whole because they fought a guerilla war for independence for over a century (first against the Dutch then against the Indonesians pretty much uninterrupted), which has recently settled and part of that settlement was to let them keep a strict version of sharia, so this barbarism is a negotiated element of a peace settlement.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
When I first read about lashings in the Muslim world, I thought it was fucked up, but wondered what they were actually like. In my mind it was some starship troopers, bleeding coming out of wounds level stuff. When I actually look up these lashings (Videos on youtube) you don't see that. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYS_nduLkdU

While it's obviously still wrong, both punishing homosexuality, and attaching some corporal punishment to it, the nature of it doesn't strike me as something particularly worse than say, prison labour. The only reason I say this, is there a lot of simple narratives put out there about the muslim world, (e.g. Hijabs in Iran.) that upon further investigation, don't bear the nature of the argument being made about the region.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Rmagnus, it's because God is powerful, but also insecure, like Barbara Streisand before James Brolin.
...all Simpsons quotes aside, this kind of garbage really does make any god seem pathetic and petty.
It's almost as if God is just a projection of the worshipers :thinking:

When I first read about lashings in the Muslim world, I thought it was fucked up, but wondered what they were actually like. In my mind it was some starship troopers, bleeding coming out of wounds level stuff. When I actually look up these lashings (Videos on youtube) you don't see that. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYS_nduLkdU

While it's obviously still wrong, both punishing homosexuality, and attaching some corporal punishment to it, the nature of it doesn't strike me as something particularly worse than say, prison labour. The only reason I say this, is there a lot of simple narratives put out there about the muslim world, (e.g. Hijabs in Iran.) that upon further investigation, don't bear the nature of the argument being made about the region.

Hey Birdseye, this is the "What the fuck???"-worthy post.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space

Wow...this site literally has people playing Devils Advocate for everything. Are you seriously going to say"it's not that bad!" about people being beaten for being gay? what the fuck? This is barbaric and deserved to be strongly condemned by any civilized society

Last edited:

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is so fucking ridiculous. They had to have health checks to determine they were healthy enough to be flogged. For being gay.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
those same rules apply to pretty much every other Islamic country too (except for Turkey, and maybe a few others), and Indonesia is the most populous of them
e: this seems to apply only to this province, and not all of Indonesia

and then you have the island of Bali, which is pretty much just Ibiza but for Australians
I'm aware. :)

One of my good friends escaped Iran to become a video game artist here in Japan.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Been to Aceh. Back before hardliners slipped their shitty fingers into Indonesia and poisoned it. Its a shame.

Edit: Aceh has always been more disgustingly conservative than the rest of Indonesia but it's gotten way worse in the last 20 years.

Apr 1, 2018

I actually agree there is something efficient about it, and processing the punishment doesn't cost as much for society, while the punished can go about his live much quicker.
I believe this also feeds into the punished's animal instincts that what he did was wrong and will cause personal suffering on his own part (rather than only making someone consciously aware of his wrongdoing by giving shelter and free food), a facet of punishment that is severely lacking in modern sentencing.

That video might be a bad example, i think my father spanked me harder than the caning that fellow got.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I actually agree there is something efficient about it, and processing the punishment doesn't cost as much for society, while the punished can go about his live much quicker.
I believe this also feeds into the punished's animal instincts that what he did was wrong and will cause personal suffering on his own part (rather than only making someone consciously aware of his wrongdoing by giving shelter and free food), a facet of punishment that is severely lacking in modern sentencing.

That video might be a bad example, i think my father spanked me harder than the caning that fellow got.

maybe don't use the term 'punished animal' in a thread about gay people being beaten with a cane......... holy fucking crackers

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost as if God is just a projection of the worshipers :thinking:

Hey Birdseye, this is the "What the fuck???"-worthy post.

Wow...this site literally has people playing Devils Advocate for everything. Are you seriously going to say"it's not that bad!" about people being beaten for being gay? what the fuck? This is barbaric and deserved to be strongly condemned by any civilized society

This is so fucking ridiculous. They had to have health checks to determine they were healthy enough to be flogged. For being gay.

Well, My post definitely came across wrong.

Let me be clear:

I think the lashings are fucked up, and highly unethical. I think the basis of it is wrong. This is my position.

The reason I stated what I did, is because when I first learned about lashings/canings in the muslim world, I had an image in my head of what that would be like that infuriated me. When I sought out video of this process, I found the severity of the caning, in terms of speed, and therefore pain and injury, varies from country to country. This made me realize that an image I had of Islam in my head may not be in the proportion that I thought it was. The reason I thought this piece of information is important was due to a broader social narrative, where people attempt to attribute level of development of regions to religions, instead of to things like war and poverty. This is an important thing to be aware of as it fuels things like perpetual war in the middle east, because it enables hatred of people.

I expressed the above ideas very poorly, and I am sorry.

Apr 1, 2018

maybe don't use the term 'punished animal' in a thread about gay people being beaten with a cane......... holy fucking crackers
I do not agree with the reasoning behind the punishment, i just think that in some cases, corporal punishment can conduct a penalty much quicker and with less misery than a "humane" prison sentence can.

Learn to read.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, My post definitely came across wrong.

Let me be clear:

I think the lashings are fucked up, and highly unethical. I think the basis of it is wrong. This is my position.

The reason I stated what I did, is because when I first learned about lashings/canings in the muslim world, I had an image in my head of what that would be like that infuriated me. When I sought out video of this process, I found the severity of the caning, in terms of speed, and therefore pain and injury, varies from country to country. This made me realize that an image I had of Islam in my head may not be in the proportion that I thought it was. The reason I thought this piece of information is important was due to a broader social narrative, where people attempt to attribute level of development of regions to religions, instead of to things like war and poverty. This is an important thing to be aware of as it fuels things like perpetual war in the middle east, because it enables hatred of people.

I expressed the above ideas very poorly, and I am sorry.

People doing or supporting this deserve to be hated. Uncivilized animals.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In the context of this thread, it sounds like he's suggesting the gay can be 'beaten' out of you as an animalistic reaction. Messed up.