• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
First NESMaker, than GB Studio. Interesting times for developing games for retro console. I wonder if we'll got something like this for SEGA related retro-consoles in the future.

The closest thing are BASIC compilers for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. The first one was Basiegaxorz, wich can create Cart, CD and partial 32x compatibility. Then there is Second Basic, a newer implementation that creates ROM for carts at the moment, but it's better and still updated.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
GB studio has improved a lot recently. It now has partial color support, for example.

In the future it will allow the creation of platform and shooters, tough it may take a while.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The creator mentioned that is putting the finishing touches of the next version, and shared video of games created with the tool.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been using this for a while now on a project, and honestly it's a joy to use. As long as you keep a handful of limits in mind (which can challenge you to work with constraints, leading to solutions you never would've considered), it's probably the easiest and most straightforward game-making software out there. I could see a branch of this being splintered off and excised from the GB limitations (tile count, color, some entity limits, and audio), and just becoming a solid simple game-making suite on its own. But as it is right now, spitting out real working Game Boy games is pretty darn cool.

It sounds like the next version is going to be a MAJOR reworking. I'm eager to see what changes and is added.

GB Studio 2 announced + Analogue Pocket support

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
This is crazy and will be perfect if the Analogue Pocket ever comes out.

New version coming in August will include an option to export titles directly to the Analogue Pocket.

Will also support new genres including 2D plataform, side scrolling shooter, point and click adventures, and possibly it's own solution for combat.

Full color support, too.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
New version coming in August will include an option to export titles directly to the Analogue Pocket.

Will also support new genres including 2D plataform, side scrolling shooter, point and click adventures, and possibly it's own solution for combat.

Full color support, too.

I expected they would go great together, but I was not expecting them to work directly with each other.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Full color support, too.

Added threadmark.

This is cool to know. Especially when exporting as C.

Hopefully, it's modern C++.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Aside from Deadeus have their been any other games worth sinking some time into? Or projects to keep an eye on?

Looking forward to checking these out on a pocket next year.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just watched some videos from Pixel Pete on YouTube and I'm stoked to try my first attempt at making a game later this month!

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
While I am excited for the wide array of new genre options, I still think I'm mostly into the idea of a cute little walking sim in the original engine. Been working on some assets in my free time. This is such a cool program.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
How easy/customisable is it to make a platformer? I feel like I've never found a good Platformer Maker.

GB Studio 2 Beta 1 released

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
GBStudio ver 2 beta is now available to download.

Complete list of changes here.

Highlights:

• Add full color support, each scene can contain up to six 4-color palette (24 colors per scene) and seven different sprite palettes.
  • Add additional genres to Scene Type dropdown, "Platformer", "Shoot Em' Up", "Point and Click" and "Adventure", each one affects player handling in that scene. A single project can use any/all genres as required
  • Add event to bounce player while in platform scenes
  • Add ability to create collisions tiles that only affect a single direction e.g. for platforms that you can jump through from below.
  • Game engine completely rewritten to make less top down rpg genre specific

Really interesting that you can mix and match genres.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Beta 2 of GBStudio 2 is now available.

Have little time to test, but not being able to shoot projectiles in diagonal directions put a stop to my game idea. So now I'm just looking at examples of cool 8 bit 4 way movement action games for inspiration.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Is GB Studio more GUI-friendly than Game Maker Studio?

Cause Game Maker Studio pretty much requires you to use their scripting language to do anything, at which point you might as well be learning a real programming language..

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Is GB Studio more GUI-friendly than Game Maker Studio?

Cause Game Maker Studio pretty much requires you to use their scripting language to do anything, at which point you might as well be learning a real programming language..

I have not used Game Maker, but in GBStudio you pretty much drag and drop stuff. It's more or less like this.

Click on "+" to Create a new scene. You select what type of scene you want (Platform, Shooter or Pokemon/Zelda-like)

Then you draw on the scene or drag and drop the stuff you want to have on the scene.

When you are done, you draw a line from the scene to the next scene.

If you want to do more than the basic stuff, you select from many pre-made options, then you can drag and drop the order.

For example, you want to have your character shoot a projectile, you just click on "Add event" and select one from the list, such as "Joypad input" then add a "Launch projectile" event to that.

If you want more than that, version 2 has an option called "Eject" that will allow you to see the source code in C to modify and then continue editing it on GB Studio.

This channel has tutorials, most are for the the previous versions, but they still apply.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the thread OP! I had never heard of GB Studio, but I'm having a lot of fun messing around with it.
So far, the Game Boy limitations are actually adding to the fun, forcing you to find work arounds to make it do what you want. But we'll see if I still like them if I ever do a bigger project.
I do find it a bit frustrating that you can't configure things like player movement, jump height and all that. Makes all platforming games have the same feeling to it. Hopefully the ability to do so is added in the future.

Settings Update

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Thanks for the thread OP! I had never heard of GB Studio, but I'm having a lot of fun messing around with it.
So far, the Game Boy limitations are actually adding to the fun, forcing you to find work arounds to make it do what you want. But we'll see if I still like them if I ever do a bigger project.
I do find it a bit frustrating that you can't configure things like player movement, jump height and all that. Makes all platforming games have the same feeling to it. Hopefully the ability to do so is added in the future.

Oct 30, 2017
Barcelona
I'm tempted to migrate, but my current project would not really use any of the new functionalities. I'll wait, but it's amazing how GB Studio keeps getting better and better.
GBDK now includes support for Sega Master System and Game Gear, so my hope is that someone will make a fork of GB Studio for making games for these systems.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

My Everdrive arrived today and this is emotionally moving to experience this.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
The GB Studio 3 trailer makes the GUI look like a more fleshed out version of Pico-8. Is there limits on what kind of games you can make with this thing?

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The GB Studio 3 trailer makes the GUI look like a more fleshed out version of Pico-8. Is there limits on what kind of games you can make with this thing?
Well, if you want to be technical, head over to the Github project page's Issues tab, and then look for feature enhancement requests. You should be able to spot a few of them where the creators are hitting some limitations.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
trying to move my project to 3.01 and when i try to build and run i get a couple warnings and it just won't run. I don't see where those warnings are linked to anything in my project so i can't investigate further and I feel stuck...

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
GB Studio 3.2.0 is out.

I can't believe how long it's been since the last update! GB Studio 3.2.0 is finally here, including some of the features that have been teased for a long now including slopes in platform scenes, tile priority for GBC (allowing background tiles to show in front of actors!) and support for UGE v6 in the music editor!! Plenty of bug fixes too.

View: https://youtu.be/017-nGQSObA?si=liJU65F8U1wHAXPq