• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
The developer-picked GDCA nominations are led by Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption 2with a total of 7 nominations, followed closely by Sony Santa Monica's God of War and Insomniac Games' Marvel's Spider-Man with a total of 6 nominations each.

https://gdconf.com/news/god-war-red-dead-redemption-2-lead-gdc-2019-choice-awards-nominees

GAME OF THE YEAR

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)
Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909)
Marvel's Spider-Man (Insomniac Games / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
Celeste (Matt Makes Games)
God of War (Sony Santa Monica / Sony Interactive Entertainment)

BEST AUDIO

Tetris Effect (Monstars and Resonair / Enhance)

BEST DEBUT

Polyarc (Moss)
Mountains (Florence)
Nomada Studio (Gris)
Villa Gorilla (Yoku's Island Express)
Sabotage (The Messenger)

BEST DESIGN

Into the Breach (Subset Games)

BEST MOBILE GAME

Alto's Odyssey (Snowman)
Florence (Mountains / Annapurna Interactive)
Reigns: Game of Thrones (Nerial / Devolver Digital)
Holedown (Grapefrukt Games)
Donut County (Ben Esposito / Annapurna Interactive)

INNOVATION AWARD

Nintendo Labo (Nintendo EPD / Nintendo)

BEST NARRATIVE

Florence (Mountains/Annapurna Interactive)

BEST TECHNOLOGY

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft)
Forza Horizon 4 (Turn 10 Studios and Playground Games / Microsoft Studios)

BEST VISUAL ART

Gris (Nomada Studio / Devolver Digital)

BEST VR/AR GAME

Budget Cuts (Neat Corporation)
Beat Saber (Beat Games)
Moss (Polyarc)
Astro Bot Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / Sony Interactive Entertainment)

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Organizers of the 19th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards, the leading peer-based video game event celebrating the industry's top games and developers, are excited to today announce this year's nominees!

Winners in all categories will be honored at the Game Developers Choice Awards (GDCA) ceremony, taking place on Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 6:30pm at the San Francisco Moscone Center during the 2019 Game Developers Conference (GDC) and held in conjunction with the Independent Games Festival Awards (IGF).

BEST AUDIO
Honorable Mentions: Beat Saber (Beat Games), Wandersong (Greg Lobanov / Humble Bundle), Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909), Battlefield V (EA DICE /
Electronic Arts), Forza Horizon 4(Playground Games and Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios)

BEST DEBUT
Polyarc (Moss)
Mountains (Florence)
Nomada Studio (Gris)
Villa Gorilla (Yoku's Island Express)
Sabotage (The Messenger)
Honorable Mentions: Beat Games (Beat Saber), Digital Sun (Moonlighter), Two Point Studios (Two Point Hospital), Okomotive (Far: Lone Sails)

BEST DESIGN
Into the Breach (Subset Games)
Honorable Mentions: Frostpunk (11 bit studios), Minit (Kitty Calis, Jan Willem Nijman, Jukio Kallio & Dominik Johann / Devolver Digital), Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909), Astro Bot Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)

BEST MOBILE GAME
Alto's Odyssey (Snowman)
Reigns: Game of Thrones (Nerial / Devolver Digital)
Holedown (Grapefrukt Games)
Donut County (Ben Esposito / Annapurna Interactive)
Honorable Mentions: Furistas Cat Cafe (Runaway), The Room: Old Sins (Fireproof Studios), Pocket Run Pool (Zach Gage), Alphabear 2 (Spry Fox), Twinfold (Kenny Sun)

INNOVATION AWARD
Nintendo Labo (Nintendo EPD / Nintendo)
Honorable Mentions: Minit (Kitty Calis, Jan Willem Nijman, Jukio Kallio & Dominik Johann / Devolver Digital), Celeste (Matt Makes Games), God of War (Sony Santa Monica / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Astro Bot Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Moss (Polyarc), A Way Out(Hazelight Studios / Electronic Arts)

BEST NARRATIVE
Florence (Mountains/Annapurna Interactive)
Honorable Mentions: Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft), Detroit: Become Human(Quantic Dream / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Celeste (Matt Makes Games), Life is Strange 2(Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix), Where the Water Tastes Like Wine (Dim Bulb Games and Serenity Forge / Good Shepherd Entertainment)

BEST TECHNOLOGY
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft)
Forza Horizon 4 (Turn 10 Studios and Playground Games / Microsoft Studios)
Honorable Mentions: Sea of Thieves (Rare / Microsoft Studios), Far Cry 5 (Ubisoft Montreal and Ubisoft Toronto / Ubisoft), Battlefield V (EA DICE / Electronic Arts), Detroit: Become Human (Quantic Dream / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909)

BEST VISUAL ART
Gris (Nomada Studio / Devolver Digital)
Honorable Mentions: Battlefield V (EA DICE / Electronic Arts), Tetris Effect (Monstars and Resonair / Enhance), Dragon Ball FighterZ (Arc System Works / Bandai Namco Entertainment), Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft), Below (Capybara Games)

BEST VR/AR GAME
Budget Cuts (Neat Corporation)
Beat Saber (Beat Games)
Moss (Polyarc)
Astro Bot Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
Honorable Mentions: Jurassic World Alive (Ludia), In Death (Sólfar Studios), Tendar (Tender Claws), Firewall Zero Hour (First Contact Entertainment / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Deracine(FromSoftware / Sony Interactive Entertainment)

GAME OF THE YEAR
Honorable Mentions: Tetris Effect (Monstars and Resonair / Enhance), Super Smash Bros Ultimate(Bandai Namco Studios & Sora / Nintendo), Into the Breach (Subset Games), Assassin's Creed Odyssey(Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft), Florence (Mountains / Annapurna Interactive), Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)

The Game Developers Choice Awards also recognize two individuals this year with annual Special Awards categories: Pioneer and Lifetime Achievement. The Lifetime Achievement Award will be presented to esteemed writer and director, Amy Hennig, who has had a multifaceted career in game development, starting with development on the Atari 7800 and including roles as creative director and writer of Naughty Dog's Uncharted game series.

more at link
thanks to Gamasutra

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Well deserved, RDR2 is an incredible technical achievement.

I hope this helps dispel any conspiracy of pro Sony bias at the GDC.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really no surprises there ... But the best debut category is really interesting. They were all really great.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For innovation? I love the game but it's really Rockstar game design at its peak. There's nothing particularly innovative about it. That seems like something that'd be been served going to Astro Bot.

There are some pretty innovative things in the game. The in game menus, the way you can communicate with every NPC. There's still R* stuff that is throughout the game but there's a lot of innovation.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Looking to finish the game this weekend and thus far it's been a great experience. It's far from perfect, but I'm glad it's receiving the nominations/accolades.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
One of the best games I've ever played. I can't wait for a few years in the future so I can play it again all the way through after not remembering much.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't actually played RDR2 at all, so by all means someone feel free to correct me, but it seems weird to see RDR2 in the innovation category in particular. I was under the impression it was more of a master-class execution of current tried-and-true AAA game design trends.

Also, I hope Return of the Obra Dinn manages to get something, considering what it's up against.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I really need to get it, but I honestly don't want to pay £30 for a Tetris game when I already have the UbiSoft one.
It's not just Tetris, it's unlike all other Tetris.

But yeah, high price. I paid 27€ for mine (Indonesian PSN). Once it hits 20 euro / 15 pound it will become a safe buy to most people.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
For innovation? I love the game but it's really Rockstar game design at its peak. There's nothing particularly innovative about it. That seems like something that'd be been served going to Astro Bot.
Rdr2 innovates quite a lot, the game world changes over time, the npcs feel really alive even outside of missions and the whole hunting system is very deep compared to other open world games. Plus the animations are just insane.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Tetris, it's unlike all other Tetris.

But yeah, high price. I paid 27€ for mine (Indonesian PSN). Once it hits 20 euro / 15 pound it will become a safe buy to most people.

Yeah, 15 quid and I'm in.

Rdr2 innovates quite a lot, the game world changes over time, the npcs feel really alive even outside of missions and the whole hunting system is very deep compared to other open world games. Plus the animations are just insane.

The draw distance on a base PS4 is pure witchcraft.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, for all the criticism RDR2s gameplay gets. R* has done something amazing with the open world and the npcs surrounding it. Those npcs building the house throughout the game is still one favorite things I've ever seen in a game.

May 5, 2018
Happy to see Celeste and Obra Dinn get some major nods. Hopefully they come home with some awards. Obra Dinn has to win most innovative!