• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
www.gamedeveloper.com

GDC 2024 State Of The Game Industry: game developers on layoffs, generative AI, and more

Over 3,000 game industry professionals weighed in on this year's State of the Game Industry survey with opinions about layoffs, the use of generative AI, return-to-office policies, and more.

This year's survey, conducted from Oct. 11 to Oct. 29, 2023, reflects the perspectives of over 3,000 game industry professionals. We found that developers are concerned about the increasing number of layoffs, the ethical uses of artificial intelligence, and changing game engine policies and pricing. They're also incorporating more accessibility features in games, have seen an increase in return to office policies and widely use Twitter/X for word-of-mouth marketing, though many have grown frustrated with the platform and owner Elon Musk's policies.

One-third of developers (35%) said they've been impacted by layoffs—either by having some layoffs take place within their team or company or by being laid off themselves. Quality assurance developers appear to have been hit the hardest, with 22% of them saying they were laid off this year (compared to 7% of all developers). Business and finance professionals reported the least layoffs (2%).

Over half of respondents (56%) expressed some level of concern that their company could see layoffs in the next 12 months, while one-third said they weren't at all concerned. When asked to share their thoughts on the rise of layoffs in the game industry, many developers cited post-pandemic course correction, studio conglomeration, and economic uncertainty as possible explanations, and some expressed a desire for unionization to better protect workers.

Even though many developers seem to be uncertain about the industry impact of Generative AI, they are quite certain about the ethical impact. A large majority (84%) of developers indicated they were somewhat or very concerned about the ethics of using Generative AI, while only 12% stated they had no concerns.

Platform surveys:

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

This is an anonymous poll voted by devs. Interesting that only 8% voted for the Switch's successor as a platform that they're developing for, I'm assuming most don't have dev kits yet.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
www.gamedeveloper.com

GDC 2024 State Of The Game Industry: game developers on layoffs, generative AI, and more

Over 3,000 game industry professionals weighed in on this year's State of the Game Industry survey with opinions about layoffs, the use of generative AI, return-to-office policies, and more.

2AZN4LY.png

This is an anonymous poll that was held during GDC. Interesting that only 8% voted for the Switch's successor as a platform that they're developing for, I'm amusing most don't have dev kits yet.

Or they're bound by NDAs not to say they're working on it, even in an anonymous poll.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
...Switch 2 is more interesting to developers than the Xbox Series. And it's not even announced yet.

That cannot be a good thing.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
...Switch 2 is more interesting to developers than the Xbox Series. And it's not even announced yet.

all it means is that developers are excited at the prospect of a more powerful dedicated hybrid device

probably because indies especially sell very well in that ecosystem

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
8% switch 2 is pretty low. I'm expecting a decent chunk of cross gen ports for it when it launches. Also could indicate a later than expected release date.

Not really. Theres a lot of devs interested in seeing what it'll be. Likewise the ps5 is being boosted by the ps5 pro. Not everything is doom and gloom.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't think you can confirm that an NDA has been broken with an anonymous poll

Plus, logically speaking, if anonymously confirming that you're actively working on a title for the "Nintendo Switch successor" would break some sort of NDA, so too would anonymously confirming that you're merely interested in working on such a game, because either way you're indicating that said system exists.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if there was historical survey data to compare to. For instance 16% of devs say they're developing for the Mac currently. That sounds higher than I would have expected, but I don't know what it was in the past.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
www.gamedeveloper.com

Platform surveys:

2AZN4LY.png
vUX0kZS.png

This is an anonymous poll voted by devs. Interesting that only 8% voted for the Switch's successor as a platform that they're developing for, I'm assuming most don't have dev kits yet.
8% is not insignificant and means it's coming within 12-18 months of that survey I'd assume.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Anonymous or no I wouldn't tick a box saying I'm developing for the Switch successor, for what it's worth.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
8% is already a pretty hefty amount working on the Switch 2, and that's probably the ones that felt comfortable admitting that they are

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
PC absolutely dominating, god dayum.
The overwhelming majority of devs are also Correct about what might come from generative AI.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
So yeah, I think we can pretty much say with confidence the Switch 2 is getting announced this year, take heart in that everyone, the long wait will end this year.

Plum

May 31, 2018
8% switch 2 is pretty low. I'm expecting a decent chunk of cross gen ports for it when it launches. Also could indicate a later than expected release date.
It's in line with what current gen was back in 2020, with PS5 and Series X being at around 10%. Considering we don't even officially know that it exists yet, 8% is fine I'd say.

Oct 27, 2017
It's in line with what current gen was back in 2020, with PS5 and Series X being at around 10%. Considering we don't even officially know that it exists yet, 8% is fine I'd say.
Plus i imagine itll be a bit supressed given im sure some devs wouldnt even wanna risk potentially drawing Nintendo's ire about talking about an unreleased system

OP
OP
Truno

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020

This is the list from 2017, right before the Nintendo Switch was released (3% after it was already announced):

gdc_state_of_the_gameh7qns.png

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Sigh, hope this doesn't mean that developers are doing a "wait and see" approach like they did with Switch and then scramble to develop/port games over to Switch 2

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Sigh, hope this doesn't mean that developers are doing a "wait and see" approach like they did with Switch and then scramble to develop/port games over to Switch 2
(In my experience asking many colleagues) AAA devs outside of Nintendo didn't even get a DevKit for the Switch until 3 months before launch. There was no way for devs to support Switch at launch with that timeframe. It wasn't a choice by devs to not be there at launch, it was Nintendo.

OP
OP
Truno

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020

View: https://twitter.com/Andy_VGC/status/1748091550330921117

www.videogameschronicle.com

8% of developers in a GDC survey say they’re working on Nintendo’s next console | VGC

And 32% said Switch’s successor is the platform that most interests them…

It's worth noting that, since the Nintendo Switch successor is yet to be officially announced, those working on games will be doing so under strict secrecy, so it's possible that more of the 3,000 surveyed are working on 'Switch 2' games but chose not to disclose this, even anonymously.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
(In my experience asking many colleagues) AAA devs outside of Nintendo didn't even get a DevKit for the Switch until 3 months before launch. There was no way for devs to support Switch at launch with that timeframe. It wasn't a choice by devs to not be there at launch, it was Nintendo.

Doesn't even make sense to just have a few devs get the kits and let the rest wait until Nintendo announces the console. I wonder if this will come back and bite them in the arse

Moltz20

Banned
Sep 12, 2023

For what's worth, only Nintendo's closest and trusted partners get a heads up about the specs of future/upcoming consoles, which is why it's overall safer for most devs to go for the "wait and see" angle and why its exact specs haven't leaked yet. And even then, they sometimes don't even get all the details, such as that one time Alphadream was developing Mario & Luigi Partners in Time and they didn't know the DS's second screen would double as a touchscreen and the console would come with a mic built-in.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

I think a potential issue is that many devs didn't wait for a more powerful machine and put their games on Switch anyway. If they never go back to update them then that will suck.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
For what's worth, only Nintendo's closest and trusted partners get a heads up about the specs of future/upcoming consoles, which is why it's overall safer for most devs to go for the "wait and see" angle and why its exact specs haven't leaked yet. And even then, they sometimes don't even get all the details, such as that one time Alphadream was developing Mario & Luigi Partners in Time and they didn't know the DS's second screen would double as a touchscreen and the console would come with a mic built-in.

The issue "normal" developers have is, that they don't know what the next "gimmick" for Nintendos Console is, if they are not the ones getting all the info from Nintendo.
So, it's easier to just continue making your PC or Multiplat game and look at what comes next instead of developing for the Switch 2 blind.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The issue "normal" developers have is, that they don't know what the next "gimmick" for Nintendos Console is, if they are not the ones getting all the info from Nintendo.
So, it's easier to just continue making your PC or Multiplat game and look at what comes next instead of developing for the Switch 2 blind.
Switch 2 right now is actually punching above its weight in devs considering we aren't technically supposed to know it exists yet

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Most people wouldn't have dev kits yet, and some that did might not be comfortable saying so even in an anonymous poll. I wouldn't read too much into it.

That pc domination though!!!!

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I imagine lots of third party devs have Switch 2 versions in their sights, even if they don't have a dev kit.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is a pretty clear indication that it's true that developers are interested in VR, many of them just can't reasonably justify the development costs. Can't imagine this changes any time soon.