• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So then they don't play the game. That's a decision people make all the time... Nothing is offered everywhere, and things are released only in certain areas or before other areas every day. Why is what I'm saying even considered trolling? It's completely ridiculous.

Hopefully the Epic store will fix said issue before the game is released so people who want it Day One can get it without jumping through hoops.
Also it is 2019, digital distribution has gotten better since the staggered release windows of old. Games should be easily accessible for people to play if they want to. Being locked out due to regional constraints, in this digital age, is the ridiculous aspect of this whole thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing it up in a smug faced way to try and 'stick it to Epic
Literally not what I'm doing.

Also, yes, acting like your sympathy is important while also acting like everybody has the same priveliges as you and should operate under your moral compass and culture, and only yours, is kinda smug. Not to mention how you explicitely acted like many people are going to pirate because of store favoritism, and not for being gatekeeped out of buying the product.
You keep acting like I'm trying to explain piracy is cool and a way to say "fuck Epic". Go read the replies again carefully.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Yea no Fuck off Gearbox.. won't support these poisonous practices on PC no matter what.. just like Metro exodus, this gem of a game is gonna suffer gutter rep as well thanks to Take-Two decisions and possibly Gearbox's.. I won't be forced to get this on a barebones featureless launcher that has no assurance or trust and neither does the company handling the launcher have any bit of consumer's trust. Iam not putting my owned game licenses in their hands.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I meant effectively; if a game is only sold on Steam you have the same amount of choices. Publishers do that on their own accord all the time.
In both situations a publisher is choosing to put their game on only one store.

In the end they are the one deciding where to sell their game; if you have no problem with multiple stores and launchers installed but only exclusivity, then logically you shouldn't support devs who only sell on Steam.
The thing you're overlooking is that essentially no one does that, because no one's forcing them to do that.

Games will go up on Steam because it's the biggest platform, but they'll also go up on GOG if possible, or Humble, or Amazon, or itch.io, or on the creator's own website. Even if you're only talking about Steam keys, those can be sold on any number of non-Steam sites for a zero percent cut to Valve.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This is the most nothing reason ever to not play games you'll enjoy.

Like I wish I had so many amazing games I wanted to play coming out that I could choose not to switch to another launcher because of something as silly as this.

You're likely in the silent majority. Get ready to be called a PC gamer or an Epic shill because you don't need cloud saves or friends lists.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So then they don't play the game. That's a decision people make all the time... Nothing is offered everywhere, and things are released only in certain areas or before other areas every day. Why is what I'm saying even considered trolling? It's completely ridiculous.
Do you at least realize why people are upset?

If the game is only available on Epic, they can't buy it. If it's available on Steam (and any other store, basically), they can buy it. We have lots of other stores on PC that also offer exclusive games, but none of them block certain regions from accessing and/or buying the games. It's that simple.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Literally not what I'm doing.

Also, yes, acting like your sympathy is important while also acting like everybody has the same priveliges as you and should operate under your moral compass and culture, and only yours, is kinda smug. Not to mention how you explicitely acted like many people are going to pirate because of store favoritism, and not for being gatekeeped out of buying the product.
You keep acting like I'm trying to explain piracy is cool and a way to say "fuck Epic". Go read the replies again carefully.
Yea, you are.

I understand not everyone has the same privileges.. there's LOTS of things I'm not privileged to... Why are you presuming to know me or my situation?

What I'm ultimately saying, which you don't seem to understand.. is that regardless of the reason... piracy is wrong. That's a fact.. and you're trying to make me out to be a bad person for saying so... all because you have a hate-on for Epic and anyone who disagrees with you about them.

Do you at least realize why people are upset?

If the game is only available on Epic, they can't buy it. If it's available on Steam (and any other store, basically), they can buy it. We have lots of other stores on PC that also offer exclusive games, but none of them block certain regions from accessing and/or buying the games. It's that simple.

Absolutely, I completely understand and feel for those people who are locked out of playing/buying this game at launch, or for however long. I really do. It sucks.. but these things happen in business all the time. So I think boycotting the game and store, and putting more effort into playing and supporting games from developers who DO support you.. as a priority.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I just want brazilian fair prices akin to steam.... Otherwise is impossible for me to buy games from Epic store....

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
And one more thing y'all have to realize. All this exclusivity shit isn't hurting Steam. Steam is going to be fine. It's all the smaller stores that are going to pay the price for Epic's bullshit, and we'll end up with FEWER options than before, not more.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
And one more thing y'all have to realize. All this exclusivity shit isn't hurting Steam. Steam is going to be fine. It's all the smaller stores that are going to pay the price for Epic's bullshit, and we'll end up with FEWER options than before, not more.

Hopefully Epic will end up in origin's boat where its used for its exclusives and fuck all else. in that case I don't imagine it'll take them long to slink off again.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's literally showing that a game on Steam is being sold on half a dozen places, and not only Steam, which is not the case with EGS, while you were saying that putting a game either in EGS or Steam gives the same number of options.
Maybe I'm ignorant but isn't it up to the publisher whether Cd keys are sold elsewhere?

Maybe I'm totally wrong about the number of games that do that but I could have sworn I've searched around for a game and only found it available through Steam.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No interest in Borderlands 3 but knowing that it will be a highly anticipated title, this kicks off what will surely be a packed Fall of September, October and November. Can't wait to see what else releases this coming fall.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
I'll probably wait to buy it on Steam, but I won't pretend to be outraged... This was obviously coming. I'll wait until the rest of my friends buy it on sale. That's how I had a hell of the time with the first 3 and I'm sure this one will be too. But I won't play it alone.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Linux or China (or any country EGS is blocked in except Korea) is on their roadmap.

I highly doubt China will get access to the EGS we do, Hell I wouldn't be surprised if China only got a limited version that only has government approved games like Perfect World's Chinese Steam client is supposed to have. Epic has been actively blocking their launcher in China for years and I doubt they'll magically stop blocking their ISP's.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/03/14/epic-games-store-linux/

And yeah by China I meant a compliant version.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Excited as hell for the game.

Less excited for months of people shitting up every thread with the same goddamn EGS complaints. It's almost to the level of "perfect for switch" and "switch version when" from the last couple years.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Info Dump
From what I've gathered the epic store does not have the same features as steam. Cloud saves/achievements etc. Even though I don't play on PC it would bug the hell out of me having all my games scattered across different services after steam has been the norm for so many years.

Thanks for the replies, disappointing because I did want it on PC, but this + console friends makes it a easy switch to ps4

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Guess this'll be my first Epic Store game purchase!
I've been getting the free games, but haven't actually bought anything yet.

I totally understand a lot of people's concerns with Epic's store (like the lack of features), but these days I don't even use many of the features on Steam (never play multiplayer games, and almost always just use an XB1 controller so I don't need controller remapping), and Borderlands is one of my favorite franchises and I've been waiting more than long enough to finally play it.

I used to pretty much despise EA's Origin store when it first launched and EA games were no longer sold on Steam. While I've still barely bought anything on Origin (mainly just free games, heavily discounted games, or Bioware games), I've never actually had any problems with the store, and over the years I've started to care less about non-Steam launchers.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Guess this'll be my first Epic Store game purchase!
I've been getting the free games, but haven't actually bought anything yet.

I totally understand a lot of people's concerns with Epic's store (like the lack of features), but these days I don't even use many of the features on Steam (never play multiplayer games, and almost always just use an XB1 controller so I don't need controller remapping), and Borderlands is one of my favorite franchises and I've been waiting more than long enough to finally play it.

I used to pretty much despise EA's Origin store when it first launched and EA games were no longer sold on Steam. While I've still barely bought anything on Origin (mainly just free games, heavily discounted games, or Bioware games), I've never actually had any problems with the store, and over the years I've started to care less about non-Steam launchers.
the lack of cloud saves is a bit crazy, but oh well.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp was going to get it with some mates but looks like that aint happening anymore.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Borderlands tends to have some good and some bad dlc, so worst case, waiting until 2020 isn't a bad thing, all things considered.

Also LMAO @ 2K's statements about skipping/not skipping Steam because it's where the majority of players are - Epic must be just tossing millions at them.

But all things considered, this is probably one of the bigger purchases that might actually make an impact on getting people to cave - albeit the window is shorter, so maybe not as much as it otherwise would.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nice that it is coming this year but I'm gonna wait for obvious reasons.

Considering how the other three games went, its probably best I wait till all DLC is out lol.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Nice. Announced less than 6 months before release, it's quite rare nowadays. Looking forward to pick this up in September!

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
I just want brazilian fair prices akin to steam.... Otherwise is impossible for me to buy games from Epic store....

Yeah but who cares about you and Brazil? I got mine dude and that's all that matters, it's just another launcher, features don't matter, errrrrr…… any other fucking anti consumer bullshit nonsense that people spew on a regular basis in these threads?

The barrier for a lot of people is that its simply an inferior service with questionable business practices. Piracy is not always about money.

I dont know how many threads we have to bring up Gabe's quote but i will gladly do it every time.

Also, this is a shitty ban. Explaining why people who can't legally buy the game in their country end up turning to piracy isn't advocating it ffs.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I came in here to say, that I just love the way games are announced these days. Announcement, with release mere months later.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Borderlands tends to have some good and some bad dlc, so worst case, waiting until 2020 isn't a bad thing, all things considered.

Also LMAO @ 2K's statements about skipping/not skipping Steam because it's where the majority of players are - Epic must be just tossing millions at them.

But all things considered, this is probably one of the bigger purchases that might actually make an impact on getting people to cave - albeit the window is shorter, so maybe not as much as it otherwise would.

I think an interesting question is can Epic retain people to their store if consumer buys Borderlands 3. If a consumer buys Borderlands 3 on EGS because they can't wait 6 months, yet still purchase everything else on Steam I'm not really sure what Epic has accomplished. Risk of Rain 2 just came out of nowhere to become a mega hit on Steam so it's not like there will be a lack of games to play (Gearbox published game ironically). And that is Epic's problem really. They can't money hat every game, and there is so much back lash to egs exclusives that companies are now getting scared to announce egs exclusive titles publicly. Randy Pitchford has been spending the last couple days on twitter doing damage control before Borderlands 3 was even announced with an egs exclusive window.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lost a potential sale from me at launch; I might have ended up impulse buying on Steam as I've modestly enjoyed the Borderlands series.
Way to go abandoning that pre-built Steamfanbase.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I think an interesting question is can Epic retain people to their store if consumer buys Borderlands 3. If a consumer buys Borderlands 3 on EGS because they can't wait 6 months, yet still purchase everything else on Steam I'm not really sure what Epic has accomplished. Risk of Rain 2 just came out of nowhere to become a mega hit on Steam so it's not like there will be a lack of games to play. And that is Epic's problem really. They can't money hat every game, and there is so much back lash to egs exclusives that companies are now getting scared to announce egs exclusive titles publicly. Randy Pitchford has been spending the last couple days on twitter doing damage control before Borderlands 3 was even announced with an egs exclusive window.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this translates into any sort of tangible long-term 'plan' for Epic - unless they keep moneyhatting forever, and/or start getting feature parity or actual better features than Steam has, I'm not sure how I see them transferring that initial sale into keeping the customer around.

Especially with all of the casual backlash Epic is getting, along with the 'lack' of any real other decision to have people buy non-exclusives from their store.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I think an interesting question is can Epic retain people to their store if consumer buys Borderlands 3. If a consumer buys Borderlands 3 on EGS because they can't wait 6 months, yet still purchase everything else on Steam I'm not really sure what Epic has accomplished. Risk of Rain 2 just came out of nowhere to become a mega hit on Steam so it's not like there will be a lack of games to play. And that is Epic's problem really. They can't money hat every game, and there is so much back lash to egs exclusives that companies are now getting scared to announce egs exclusive titles publicly. Randy Pitchford has been spending the last couple days on twitter doing damage control before Borderlands 3 was even announced with an egs exclusive window.
this is why I am not upset at epic. the issue is steam had/still has a natural monopoly. all else equal if it was on both, 90% would be steam. epic has to do something, paying for timed excusivity makes sense.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
this is why I am not upset at epic. the issue is steam had/still has a natural monopoly. all else equal if it was on both, 90% would be steam. epic has to do something, paying for timed excusivity makes sense.

How is it a monopoly regardless when steam makes no effort to gather consumers and force em to use its store only? It is however natural that how many people flock to their store and launcher because.. well they actually have features and the games which developers and pubs have there? Steam doesn't force or pay any dev. or pub to have their game on steam..

How the hell is that a monopoly? The thing is. If something is actually 'good', people will go there. Simple as that. What epic is doing is forcing the game off steam so that the consumers have no fucking choice but to get on their barebones features launcher...

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
I think an interesting question is can Epic retain people to their store if consumer buys Borderlands 3. If a consumer buys Borderlands 3 on EGS because they can't wait 6 months, yet still purchase everything else on Steam I'm not really sure what Epic has accomplished. Risk of Rain 2 just came out of nowhere to become a mega hit on Steam so it's not like there will be a lack of games to play (Gearbox published game ironically). And that is Epic's problem really. They can't money hat every game, and there is so much back lash to egs exclusives that companies are now getting scared to announce egs exclusive titles publicly. Randy Pitchford has been spending the last couple days on twitter doing damage control before Borderlands 3 was even announced with an egs exclusive window.

Which is why I'm so scared of this - with Fortnite's money coming through, they can do this for the foreseeable future until they can take on a significant portion of the market. I would hate seeing this continue into 2020, or even worse, spread to other PC clients.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to wait.

Will be interesting to see how fast BL2 user base moves over.
Borderlands 2 is still in top 10.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Excited as hell for the game.

Less excited for months of people shitting up every thread with the same goddamn EGS complaints. It's almost to the level of "perfect for switch" and "switch version when" from the last couple years.

(Edited to remove potentially antagonistic remarks)

We can expect this to happen more often as publishers take the best deal they can get for their PC release.

Last edited:

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
).
Yeah, I'm not sure how this translates into any sort of tangible long-term 'plan' for Epic - unless they keep moneyhatting forever, and/or start getting feature parity or actual better features than Steam has, I'm not sure how I see them transferring that initial sale into keeping the customer around.

Especially with all of the casual backlash Epic is getting, along with the 'lack' of any real other decision to have people buy non-exclusives from their store.

It's why Epic is not going to make as strong a foothold in the Market. You have to build a client that people want to use; and a lot of what makes Steam valuable to customers is seemingly either not worth it for Epic or potentially harmful to them (I will eat my hat if we ever see reviews on the EGS; Not sure if that's in their roadmap). And the people who like using Steam? Yeah you're really pissing off that sizeable portion of the PC gaming base and I think it's been proven historically that while some people will call them entitled, they also don't fall prey to the usual scummy tactics that console gamers are forced to deal with (Online fees).

And yeah Steam still is getting great games all the time like Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Risk of Rain 2 which have all made a big splash on Steam when they released; and a lot of stuff still to look forward too like Master Chief Collection and Vampire Bloodlines 2. Epic can't keep everything off Steam and they're not going to draw away from it's most active users (Probably the same users whom purchase and play the most games). Unless they start paying for exclusives permanently.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
How is it a monopoly regardless when steam makes no effort to gather consumers and force em to use its store only? It is however natural that how many people flock to their store and launcher because.. well they actually have features and the games which developers and pubs have there? Steam doesn't force or pay any dev. or pub to have their game on steam..

How the hell is that a monopoly? The thing is. If something is actually 'good', people will go there. Simple as that. What epic is doing is forcing the game off steam so that the consumers have no fucking choice but to get on their barebones features launcher...
in econ terms, they do have a monopoly. look I use steam too, but letting 1 company have control of the whole space isnt good, and also I am not sure even paying devs is getting people to switch. people are buying their excusives and going back to steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.