• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 31, 2022
I just found this press release dated earlier this month (January 2023) from Gearbox announcing that they have acquired a company specializing in 3D capture, scanning, and reconstruction services which also mentions the Duke Nukem movie that was reported on in 2022 by The Hollywood Reporter, this is, at least for me, the first official mention by Gearbox of the Duke Nukem movie: https://www.gearboxsoftware.com/pre...announces-acquisition-of-captured-dimensions/

The Gearbox Entertainment Company, LLC is an award-winning, creator and distributor of transmedia entertainment. Gearbox Entertainment has become widely known for successful game franchises, as well as acquired properties Duke Nukem and Homeworld, which it distributes across the world. Gearbox Entertainment is composed of four subsidiaries: Gearbox Software, Gearbox Publishing, Gearbox Studio, and Gearbox Properties. Gearbox Software, founded in 1999 by a team of industry veterans, is headquartered in Frisco, Texas and is known around the world for developing hit video games and franchises like Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Brothers in Arms and Borderlands. Gearbox Publishing was established in 2016 with the goal of helping developers around the world bring their products to market while retaining their unique creative visions. Gearbox Studios was formed in 2022 creates cutting-edge transmedia opportunities, including the upcoming movies and series based on Borderlands, Duke Nukem, and Brothers in Arms. Gearbox Properties was founded in 2022 to manage Gearbox's wide variety of intellectual property across all products, mediums, and merchandise categories.

The Gearbox Entertainment Company is a proud member of the Embracer Group AB family of companies, which is publicly listed on Nasdaq Stockholm under the ticker EMBRAC B. (EMBRAC B).

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's time to bring back the Duke as a parody of himself, call Yahtzee like they intended to at some point, let him write it, but for god's sake make a game first, I don't trust them to handle such a character in a 'period-correct' way, at least in a game you can still have the original gameplay and then you think about the script.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I wish Gearbox didn't own Duke. It feels like they just misunderstood the character. They doubled down on the worst aspects and made him unlikable. In Duke 3D he was a fun pastiche of 80's action movies. Now they just made him kinda gross. I still think Duke could work today in a non "make fun of Duke for being out of touch" way. Just make him more like his Duke 3D self and less this overly sexist slob he turned into.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
They basically just need to copy paste Peacemaker without it being too obvious.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Duke should be a Deadpool-esque character who makes fun of modern games while running and gunning

Stiletto

Jan 4, 2023
Duke 3D was already tongue-in-cheek. Duke was legitimately badass (in the actual non-Randy sense of the word) but goofy too and not meant to be taken completely seriously. If its just gonna be a movie about "deconstructing" or shitting on him like some are suggesting, then count me out. DNF was already enough of an insult.

Also with so many aliens and sci-fi weapons the effects are gonna look like dog shit without a high budget. No studio is gonna grant that to an adaptation of a decades-old boomer shooter. We probably won't even see Pig Cops in police uniforms.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I wish Gearbox didn't own Duke. It feels like they just misunderstood the character. They doubled down on the worst aspects and made him unlikable. In Duke 3D he was a fun pastiche of 80's action movies. Now they just made him kinda gross. I still think Duke could work today in a non "make fun of Duke for being out of touch" way. Just make him more like his Duke 3D self and less this overly sexist slob he turned into.
Agreed, I miss Duke 3D Duke. It's sad how much damage Forever did to the character.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Gearbox were willing to put their name to DNF 2011. I don't have a lot of faith in their ability to make a Duke product that doesn't suck.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
How can even Duke Nukem work today? Even before Gearbox acquired the franchise, the franchise was quite misogynistic. Of course, Randy made it worse.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How can even Duke Nukem work today? Even before Gearbox acquired the franchise, the franchise was quite misogynistic. Of course, Randy made it worse.
make a show starring older wiser Duke who got time travel to the past and met his younger self, and get horrified at who he used to be, proceed to kill the young Duke and replace him as the main Duke going forward