• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Net Virtua is no joke.

mRCtTR1.gif

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
They need to start splitting campaign from multiplayer. I don't care about mp in alot of games so i could use the extra hd space
I wanted to replay the COD: IW campaign but didn't have the space to install the whole damn thing. I don't want that multiplayer bullshit, even if it's 5GB, segment it or something.

Feb 10, 2018
When I installed it the wait time seemed no different to any other game.
However I do set games to install overnight.

I found more aggravation last gen installing PS3 games because you could not do other stuff on the console.
This gen I just kill an hour easily on media apps, while the game installs.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ah yes, a friend spending the money instead of doing it yourself means you shouldn't complain to the creator of the product about the things that are wrong with it.

Come on man, it's not like Microsoft gifted OP the game lol

I haven't had any major issues with download times on my OG XB1 or my XB1X, whether it be disc or digital. I typical full install for me is about 20-30 minutes. So for me personally, I don't see a problem with the product nor have I heard any complaints from my extensive list of Xbox friends. The only place I ever hear about it is here. Maybe the OP has bad internet? Maybe Op has a crap router? IDK but I'm going to go with my experience and the experiences of the people I know personally.

All that being said, I still stand by my original statement. You shouldn't complain about something you got for free. But hey, that's just my personal opinion.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Hello, people linking to this thread in 20 years when 100 GBs is considered a small game!

With you, though. They should give you the option to play with low-poly models/no textures/no voice acting, but the game is only like 20% downloaded. I'd honestly be super interested in seeing what that even looks like.

That's not necessary though. How many PS4 games can you play while they're downloading? A LOT, almost all of them. And their whole size is half that Gears of War size anyway. But I cant speak on this issue by experience, because I only owned a X1 for a brief period of time between November 2013 and March 2014 and although it was a miserable time, I never got to experience that issue.

Nov 8, 2017
Just recently nabbed the physical version for $16 via eBay.

The game is "factory refurbished" which is weird for a game to have that status...but I can confirm it works just fine. I think the patch I downloaded to start the game was somewhere near 20gb.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Get a better connection? lol Seriously though, at least my Xbox maxes out my network speed. Gears 4 was still a relatively fast download. Damn PS4 downloads so slow it doesn't matter at what % you can start playing. It's all the same.

But games are only going to get bigger and bigger, so have fun regardless of whatever platform you own.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I have a launch 500GB Xbox One and Gears 4 takes up over 20% of my entire storage (seeing as some storage is already reserved for the OS).

One game.....more than 20% of the console's storage. That's messed up.

Hell, the only reason I haven't uninstalled it to make more room is that it'd take me several days to re-download it if I ever want to play.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Not sure about that, but I think some games could get over 200GB.

Video games are leaving countries without terrific internet behind. Even Switch games require a large download now. I miss the days of popping in a game and just playing. No downloads. No updates. Turn on the system and go.
Switch's downloads aren't nearly as bad for obvious reasons, but we're getting there next generation probably.

This wouldn't be too much of an issue if we had a lot more bandwidth and down load speed collectively. Hopefully it works out in the end.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to replay the COD: IW campaign but didn't have the space to install the whole damn thing. I don't want that multiplayer bullshit, even if it's 5GB, segment it or something.

Consoles don't support this, so they can't do it.
On Steam CoDs have done this since Modern Warfare 2.
Sadly I think no one else has done anything like that.

(IW multiplayer being 11GB and Zombies 400MB savings if you prefer just SP)

Get a better connection? lol Seriously though, at least my Xbox maxes out my network speed. Gears 4 was still a relatively fast download. Damn PS4 downloads so slow it doesn't matter at what % you can start playing. It's all the same.

But games are only going to get bigger and bigger, so have fun regardless of whatever platform you own.

Not everyone can afford better connection and not all areas have good connections available.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I have a launch 500GB Xbox One and Gears 4 takes up over 20% of my entire storage (seeing as some storage is already reserved for the OS).

One game.....more than 20% of the console's storage. That's messed up.

Hell, the only reason I haven't uninstalled it to make more room is that it'd take me several days to re-download it if I ever want to play.

The hard drives on all the consoles are anemic. At least on the x1 you can install to external drives easily enough, I think ps4 got this as well (i move games im not playing but dont want to redownload to the external myself)

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder why it's not like the Ultimate Edition when installing. As with that you could prioritise if you wanted campaign installing first or multiplayer.

Guess the 4K and sound assets are huge!

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all all asking for seperate MP and SP downloads:

-why on Earth are you playing a shooter and not playing MP
-in most games both modes share so many assets that you wouldn't be gaining much extra space anyway

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles don't support this, so they can't do it.
On Steam CoDs have done this since Modern Warfare 2.
Sadly I think no one else has done anything like that.

(IW multiplayer being 11GB and Zombies 400MB savings if you prefer just SP)
Wish MS would get on developing something like that, they have been doing good advances on their OS lately and at least it's not stupid backwards like having 90GB free but not having enough size to install like in PS4. Had to delete Uncharted 4 to install REmake.

Honestly, I'm good with today's graphics and whatnot, I'd really wish if this aspect gets more work in next gen. Doom is another big offender of this nonsense.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The whole installing/downloading process on Xbox is a trainwreck. If you have a bad internet connection it takes you days to get some of the games running, even if you own the retail copy.
Isn't it just. It's truly shocking and very frustrating. Also, I'm not sure why it just randomly stops downloading one game and starts the next on the list. And that you can't download multiple items at once.

It's definitely the worst thing about the system and it actually puts me off wanting to buy anything on it. It's a mess.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Isn't it just. It's truly shocking and very frustrating. Also, I'm not sure why it just randomly stops downloading one game and starts the next on the list. And that you can't download multiple items at once.

It's definitely the worst thing about the system and it actually puts me off wanting to buy anything on it. It's a mess.

I just had a queue of 5 updates and 5 games (3 from gamepass and the two new ones), and it seemed to complete them in download order. As for downloading more than one thing, whats the point when you're not going to get any extra bandwidth?

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
The whole installing/downloading process on Xbox is a trainwreck. If you have a bad internet connection it takes you days to get some of the games running, even if you own the retail copy.

Yet, embarrassingly, people will be in here saying OP is a liar and that it's good when it plain sucks ass.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I just had a queue of 5 updates and 5 games (3 from gamepass and the two new ones), and it seemed to complete them in download order. As for downloading more than one thing, whats the point when you're not going to get any extra bandwidth?
I don't know why it's doing it on mine. Just flip flops about whenever it feels like.

Because options are nice and smaller downloads you can download quicker then waiting for one to complete first.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it sucks.

Microsoft says it's working on something called Smart Delivery, that should debut with the revamped Master Chief Collection. Maybe this could be the answer for issues like this in the future.

I think that's a very specific use case where each Halo game has its own textures and audio, so can be isolated in this manner.

However in the case of something like Gears 4, the textures and audio is common between MP and SP meaning there probably isn't a massive gain either side.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people like SP modes better like Doom rather than the MP mode?

Ever thought about that?
Doom is the exception (I like its MP mode by the way and have spent well over 40 hours in it). Gears is the definition of a game with an SP that's just there because it's expected to be there with the real meat being the MP. Though this forum is so disproportionately skewed towards SP-only hardliners I can see why so many people here want to ignore the MP.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Game is a ridiculous size and due to Microsoft incompetence I downloaded it like 5 times during the Windows store launch. With compression like x265 it's ridiculous to waste 50+ gb on cutscenes, especially for people who only play multiplayer. The game graphics aren't anything special so it can't be 100 GB of mediocre textures.

I wasted like 500+ GB downloading the game, the very next month Comcast started data caps which would have been half my internet for a month for 1 game.

x265 is amazing and needs to become the standard asap

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience when I put in a disk in PS4, if a patch has not already been downloaded, it will ask to download it or take that game off-line and play it without patch. This has happened with brand new game that doesn't have any information on the hard drive as well. Granted I don't have a lot of physical disks for PS4, so this might not be true for all games; but for a disk based system PS4 is about as smooth as one can hope for this putting in a disk and playing a game.

I would love to know for which games this works and for which you have to wait.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Doom is the exception (I like its MP mode by the way and have spent well over 40 hours in it). Gears is the definition of a game with an SP that's just there because it's expected to be there with the real meat being the MP. Though this forum is so disproportionately skewed towards SP-only hardliners I can see why so many people here want to ignore the MP.
You can have an option to download MP portion before SP portion or vice versa. I have seen this option on a lot of PS4 games and I am sure that is true for Xbox as well. That option should be standard at this point.

Edit: Sorry for double post.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
In my experience when I put in a disk in PS4, if a patch has not already been downloaded, it will ask to download it or take that game off-line and play it without patch. This has happened with brand new game that doesn't have any information on the hard drive as well. Granted I don't have a lot of physical disks for PS4, so this might not be true for all games; but for a disk based system PS4 is about as smooth as one can hope for this putting in a disk and playing a game.

I would love to know for which games this works and for which you have to wait.
When you install on xb, it downloads anything you need when its installing from disc.

Also I am in the preview program, so ymmv (thought its been that way for a realllly long time)

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think its reasonable for a game to demand full download before playing. This whole concept of slice the software is still too wild to me.

However, its bizarre when a first party title dont use a promoted feature.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
When you install on xb, it downloads anything you need when its installing from disc.

Also I am in the preview program, so ymmv (thought its been that way for a realllly long time)
They need to take it one step further and let you play offline as soon as necessary small chunk is installed but the patch keeps downloading in the background.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Installing from disc sucks but I can't say I've had too many issues just downloading shit in general on XBOX. I'm not the type of dude to just randomly want to play some shit and then sit there and watch a bar fill up.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I don't get it. Why is Gears 4 so much bigger than other games? Uncharted 4? 50 something GB.
God of War 4? 50 something GB.
What justifies that size exactly?
Texture sizes are massive, models are pretty high poly, any of the free DLC is downloaded.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is really ridiculous. I feel like I am killing my hard drives installing these gigantic games. I tend to not play them even if I have access to them. (Game pass)

Yep. Big games with big graphics have large download sizes.

How much of this file size is due to uncompressed audio or 4K FMV?

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Games like gears 4, halo 5, doom need to add the option to install single player and multiplayer or just one or the other. Game sizes are out of control.

100gb to play some gears multiplayer must be having a significant effect on reducing that player population just because people don't want to chew up a good 20% of their hard drive space for one game.

If the multiplayer portion is 45gb even that would be preferable.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need more uncompressed games so we can see their full beauty.