• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's a lot of words that don't say much. It highlights all the free stuff and good guy coalition stuff, but do you see them list what they're selling? Do you see prices? I don't see any of that listed there.
I mean that stuff is gonna be in flux till launch and that info is from a month ago. It tells us there will be a premium currency and that you can earn some from their Battlepass system that seems to have no paid track. No lootboxes is a good thing, trying to paint it as a negative is a weird thing to do. They are not hiding that there will be microtransactions so I don't get all the shade you are throwing. We want to eliminate the terrible RNG gambling microtransactions from the industry and this looks like a step towards that.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
yea saw this earlier its nothing but great news. These days I mainly play Gears for SP since the buddy i played horde with slowly started to move somewhere else in life, will be fun to check it out tho for sure I thought Gears 4 did a decent job but it just didnt hook me the same like previous horde modes.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that stuff is gonna be in flux till launch and that info is from a month ago. It tells us there will be a premium currency and that you can earn some from their Battlepass system that seems to have no paid track. No lootboxes is a good thing, trying to paint it as a negative is a weird thing to do. They are not hiding that there will be microtransactions so I don't get all the shade you are throwing. We want to eliminate the terrible RNG gambling microtransactions from the industry and this looks like a step towards that.

I'm not saying lootboxes being removed are bad. I'm warning that things can still get worse. The pricing in Gears 4 was... not good.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not saying lootboxes being removed are bad. I'm warning that things can still get worse. The pricing in Gears 4 was... not good.

If pricing for micro-transactions is bad, there's an easy fix for the consumer. Don't buy. It's the core game stuff that is most important. Continued development is expensive so if there are people who know what they're paying for ahead of time agreeing to pay for expensive micro transaction which helps justify continued development, that's an easy thing to support.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this game delivers and does well for them, it really feels like they're trying to do right by it

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I mean, that's a lot of words that don't say much. It highlights all the free stuff and good guy coalition stuff, but do you see them list what they're selling? Do you see prices? I don't see any of that listed there.
Weird how they haven't rolled that out TWO MONTHS before the game is released, and before they show any of the campaign at all. Must be hiding something...

Maybe that guy was right, maybe devs should ignore gamers. Bunch of cynical fucks lol

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird how they haven't rolled that out TWO MONTHS before the game is released, and before they show any of the campaign at all. Must be hiding something...

Maybe that guy was right, maybe devs should ignore gamers. Bunch of cynical fucks lol

I didn't when I worked on Marvel Heroes!

Edit: Pricing is likely set internally. Additionally, I'd Imagine WHAT new stuff you can customize is also well incorporated. No reason NOT to show it especially when you're focusing on showing MP right now.

If pricing for micro-transactions is bad, there's an easy fix for the consumer. Don't buy. It's the core game stuff that is most important. Continued development is expensive so if there are people who know what they're paying for ahead of time agreeing to pay for expensive micro transaction which helps justify continued development, that's an easy thing to support.

We both know that simply not buying isn't really an option when the targeted audience of said MTX are below the age of 16 even. Shaming is a real thing that happens and is encouraged in the industry. Yes it's a M rated title, but so are many M rated titles that hope to attach themselves to the younger crowd.

Edit: As I have stated many times. We as consumers have given Publishers too much power over us. Instead of telling them what we want to buy or play, we have let them dictate what we should buy. They work for you, not the other way around.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
That all sounds great but what about separating SP and MP downloads? I wanted to replay the Gears 4 campaign but there's no way I'm downloading 100GB again.

100 tick should be mandatory.
60 tick is plenty. There was a test survey on reddit where CSGO players had to guess the tickrate on different servers and surprise, most players couldn't tell the difference from 64hz to 128hz.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Edit: As I have stated many times. We as consumers have given Publishers too much power over us. Instead of telling them what we want to buy or play, we have let them dictate what we should buy. They work for you, not the other way around.
'
The consumer decides what they buy, which dictates what they make. If nobody was playing battle royale games, there'd be none being made. If people didn't buy skin packs, they'd be making something else.

We tell them what we want to buy or play by...buying and playing it. It's not rocket science.

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'
The consumer decides what they buy, which dictates what they make. If nobody was playing battle royale games, there'd be none being made. If people didn't buy skin packs, they'd be making something else.

We tell them what we want to buy or play by...buying and playing it. It's not rocket science.

I take it you've never heard of consumer manipulation, or whaling? What you said makes sense in a perfect world, but the reality is that what you just described is not how most things are done.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't when I worked on Marvel Heroes!

Edit: Pricing is likely set internally. Additionally, I'd Imagine WHAT new stuff you can customize is also well incorporated. No reason NOT to show it especially when you're focusing on showing MP right now.

We both know that simply not buying isn't really an option when the targeted audience of said MTX are below the age of 16 even. Shaming is a real thing that happens and is encouraged in the industry. Yes it's a M rated title, but so are many M rated titles that hope to attach themselves to the younger crowd.

New IGN article discusses even more of this now so that's good.

This paid content category consists of cosmetic customization content. Content in each category is exclusive, meaning you can't spend money to earn items in Tour of Duty, just as you can't earn items in the Store through in-game objectives.

However, multiplayer hero characters introduced after launch will eschew that notion, meaning they can be either earned or purchased. The reasoning for this is because a new character goes beyond cosmetic elements to deliver gameplay across various competitive and cooperative modes; unlocking or buying a hero character adds them and their new class to Escape, Horde, and Arcade. This process allows players who want to earn the character without spending money the ability to do so through gameplay, but also lets those who may not have the time to go through the requirements to just spend the money to add that character to their roster do so.

So at least individual characters can be earned, I'm sure that some skins will be purchase only. They also list every type of thing that can be earned or bought (again, I'm sure there will be some that are exclusive to either).

Here is the kind of cosmetic content players can expect to see in Gears 5.

• Weapon Skins - Change the look of your weapon
  • Character Skins - Change the look of your character
  • Mark Icons - A custom symbol that appears to your team over the head of an enemy you spot and call out
  • Executions - Combine weapon-specific executions with other weapons. Ever wonder what the Dropshot execution looks like when done with a Lancer?
  • Bloodsprays - From smiley faces to sayings, these sprays appear on the ground to tell everyone that you executed an enemy in that spot
  • Expressions - Emotes you can apply to a character so they do an animation and voice line. Some are animation only, some are voice only

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So at least individual characters can be earned, I'm sure that some skins will be purchase only. They also list every type of thing that can be earned or bought (again, I'm sure there will be some that are exclusive to either).
I wonder if it'll be like how it works now... sorta. I mean like the Aaron Griffin skin now costs something crazy like 17 bucks, but you could've unlocked him for free for doing some challenge earlier this year.
yahoo article said:
(link)The Aaron Griffin Challenge ends April 30 at 10 a.m. PT. But, if you can't finish it by then, don't worry. The Coalition said he will be available as a direct purchase in mid-to-late May. "We want to make sure players who earn Griffin for free through gameplay are given some exclusive time with the character as bragging rights," it said.

I wish I was paying attention all this time, since I'd like to have that skin but I ain't paying for it, and I also missed the pink phantom weapon skins which I really would've wanted.

Executions - Combine weapon-specific executions with other weapons. Ever wonder what the Dropshot execution looks like when done with a Lancer?
I never have, but now I'm intrigued lol.

For reference: gif of the Dropshot execution...
SdyXphT.gif

You'd think the head wouldn't go flying off with the lancer, maybe the dead sticks to the chainsaw and you rev it up?

Also, esports Kait is pretty cool, but the Ugly Gearsmas Kait skin I'm wearing here is the best skin in the game!
honorable mention is the ugly sweater locust.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it'll be like how it works now... sorta. I mean like the Aaron Griffen skin now costs like 17 bucks or something, but you could've unlocked him for free for doing some challenge earlier this year (or maybe it was last year).

I wish I was paying attention all this time, since I'd like to have that skin but I ain't paying for it, and I also missed the pink phantom weapon skins which I really would've wanted.

I never have, but now I'm intrigued lol.

For reference: gif of the Dropshot execution...
SdyXphT.gif

You'd think the head wouldn't go flying off with the lancer, maybe the dead sticks to the chainsaw and you rev it up?

Also, esports Kait is pretty cool, but the Ugly Gearsmas Kait skin I'm wearing here is the best skin in the game!
honorable mention is the ugly sweater locust.
They show it in the tech test trailer. :)