• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a very pretty game. I'm not sure that comparison with others is particularly needed here. They do their things in different ways. The 60FPS is nice. But I can't be only one who wonders what this might have been if campaign was usual 30? How much could they have pushed it?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We should have two titles every generation for consoles. Best looking 60fps game and best looking 30fps game. Without that its dumb to compare. What 60fps game this gen looks better than Gears 5?

Battlefront 1/2, but it's still a bit early to judge. Gears 5 isn't even out yet.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's funny how ever subsequent video/pic of Gears5 looks far better than the ice environment benchmark that OP posted...

The mediocre snow and weather effects, coupled with the lack of quality lighting really make it look like a underwhelming scene.

The game as a whole looks pretty good though. But that benchmark... not so much.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I wonder how it will look on my Xbox One S.

But I'm buying a new PC in September, so I will probably play it on this machine. A RTX 2070 Super should be enough for 1440p, Ultra & 60 fps.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
gears5techtest21.07.2lejxc.png

Seeing this image on my PC monitor is such a big difference compared to my OLED/HDR monitor. Now I finally see how much difference HDR can make.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm not sure if they're in rotation currently, but heres Foundation and Training grounds to compare:

Ah yes, the difference is definitely clear here. The map i tested today in 4 was Lift and lighting wise that looked very good and much nicer than Foundation. Seems like it could depend on what maps you choose as well.

It's a very pretty game. I'm not sure that comparison with others is particularly needed here. They do their things in different ways. The 60FPS is nice. But I can't be only one who wonders what this might have been if campaign was usual 30? How much could they have pushed it?

I have that too. However if they pull off the E3 2018 visuals in campaign at 60fps, I won't complain. That would be amazing and almost a bit too good to be true. That's why I wish especially that we had seen it at this E3. We will just have to wait for the early September reveal.

It's funny how ever subsequent video/pic of Gears5 looks far better than the ice environment benchmark that OP posted...

The mediocre snow and weather effects, coupled with the lack of quality lighting really make it look like a underwhelming scene.

The game as a whole looks pretty good though. But that benchmark... not so much.

The one thing that looked bad was the low res snow right at the start, but that's it. Rest looks fine?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wrong thread (here is the one you were looking for) + as stated in the thread by VGTech, an 3840 x 2160 cb/partly native resolution is "common" in the game with a 2160p frame buffer. 60fps are locked and 98% of the time rock solid. So yes, obviously Gears 5 runs at 4K/60fps.

No it doesnt. You dont get to set your own personal barometric of what 4k is. The resolution ranges from 1080p to 4k. 4k is rare and in non versus mode is never achieved. Highest in non versus mode is 1800p. In no way is this 4k.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing great about the screenshots I've seen posted is that I love Gears "destroyed beauty" concept. Think this one fits the bill from what I've seen so far.

Pity I just can't get into it. Have Gears 4 on my PC and I'm just frustrated with the movement mechanics.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Fact - 4k is a native resolution of 3840x2160
Turning in circles here :)

Your problem seems to be semantics. Both Sony & Microsoft - as the only console platform holders with a 4K console - refer to "4K" when talking about a 2160p frame buffer that gets achieved natively, with checkerboard or dynamically. Gears 5 nor games like God of War ever got advertised as "native 4K" but instead focus on the marketing language I gave you two links about above. When they have a native 4K game - they advertise it like that. Whether or not you agree with that marketing language is a different story, but this factually doesn't make their claims wrong, as they've openly clarified what they mean when talking about 4K rendering - something that is common for the industry.

On a personal level, I agree making a more transparent differentiation between the 4K rendering methods makes sense for hardcore enthusiasts, but it's too late for that into the gen and it doesn't make too much sense to do so in marketing.

Last edited:

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Pro was being ridiculed alot by most Era member for not being true "4K"

It create a mindset for a true Native 4K in Era

There was a very high expectations by some people on what X1X could achieve with its First Party developer

There you go. Can't really blame anyone if the mindset and the expectations was so high here.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Turning in circles here :)

Your problem seems to be semantics. Both Sony & Microsoft - as the only console platform holders with a 4K console - refer to "4K" when talking about a 2160p frame buffer that gets achieved natively, with checkerboard or dynamically. Gears 5 nor games like God of War ever got advertised as "native 4K" but instead focus on the marketing language I gave you two links about above. When they have a native 4K game - they advertise it like that. Whether or not you agree with that marketing language is a different story, but this factually doesn't make their claims wrong, as they've openly clarified what they mean when talking about 4K rendering - something that is common for the industry.

On a personal level, I agree making a more transparent differentiation between the 4K rendering methods makes sense for hardcore enthusiasts, but it's too late for that into the gen and it doesn't make too much sense to do so in marketing.

i dont have a problem. marketing departments job is to twist reality to sell a product. 4k is a defined standard

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
i dont have a problem. marketing departments job is to twist reality to sell a product. 4k is a defined standard

it's technology, it's contextual, and you better get used to it. is your hard drive measured by 1000 or 1024? does your 4k deliver 4:4:4 or 4:2:2? is it hdr? and so on. being overly pedantic after that ship is half way around the world is useless.

i'm fine with the terminology and dropped being mad about it after sony started the nonsense.

if you care, you can find out but the details are just noise to the vast majority of people- they just want to know it will look good on their tvs. maybe not even that.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

it's technology, it's contextual, and you better get used to it. is your hard drive measured by 1000 or 1024? does your 4k deliver 4:4:4 or 4:2:2? is it hdr? and so on. being overly pedantic after that ship is half way around the world is useless.

i'm fine with the terminology and dropped being mad about it after sony started the nonsense.

if you care, you can find out but the details are just noise to the vast majority of people- they just want to know it will look good on their tvs. maybe not even that.

theres nothing contextual about the specifications in that link. those are all similar. roughly 4k pixels of horizontal resolution with a corresponding number of vertical pixels depending on the aspect ratio. every specification there is rigidly defined

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Thing is, this is a difficult game to judge from gifs/pngs posted in a web browser. When you see it running on a 1X hooked up to a big, 4K HDR TV, the absolutely pristine clarity of the image is downright astonishing. I fancy myself reasonably capable of spotting if something is native resolution or upscaled/uprendered, and playing the Tech Test last weekend I'd've sworn it was native 4k.

Apr 6, 2018
I think they're still using a bunch of legacy animations from the 360 days for general non-cutscene stuff.

I recently replayed Gears 4's campaign in preparation for 5 and it was kinda right in my face the whole time. Outside of cut-scenes, animation-wise it felt like Gears 3 basically. (which is not necessarily a bad thing).
all animations are mocap-ed, the thing is that it's designed as a moving comic, even the proportions of the characters arent' realistic, unless you idea of humankind is Warhammer 40k and WWE

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
This seems like it will actually be better on the OneX at 60 than on my PC. I can deal with longer loading times for that 4K60.