• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Am i the only one not impressed by this? It looks solid at best and the multiplayer screenshots and footage I've seen still make it look like a 360 port or an early this gen game. On top that, the characters just run through that snow gunfire like it's nothing and don't react at all. Really not sure what OP is talking about here
Only joined and already console warring, impressive lol.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Yup. The tech test is a visual feast, it's easily the most stunning game I've seen so far this generation. The rest is an extrapolation that the campaign will look even better based on what I've played of the tech test and what I can see in that video. The weather effects look significantly better than anything we've seen so far. There are aspects where it's not impressive, the snow when Kait and co are jogging through doesn't really sell it well and the van is hilariously out of place too.

Oh so you're actually playing this section? I haven't been playing any games lately so I have no idea what this is

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I think the game looks great on xbox , especially considering its 60fps .

I tried the benchmark on PC and thought it looked ok , but nothing mindblowing . I'm also running on a 1080p monitor tho.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 looks great, feels very smooth while playing.

But its gonna be tough to top RDR2 as best of the generation.

Comparing Horizon to Gears 5 isn't really fair imo. Horizon isn't 4K, its 30 fps, and its using low FOV to achieve those graphics.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
MS threads always get an unhealthy amount of shit but, man...sometimes y'all destroy your own threads. Nothing good was ever going to come from that line in the OP. Which is a shame too because the game looks great. Not sure if it's the best of the gen but I also don't care if it is.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would be interesting if somewhere like digital found did a vs analysis of say gears 5 and TLOU2, running on a 1X and pro, and analysed all the visual components E. G texture quality, polycount, lighting quality, effects, resolution, AA methods etc and stated which game had the better implementation,, whichever had the most superior visual categories, was crown the better looking game.

This way anyone who drive bys "game A looks far better then game B" can be QUOTEd and shown the analysis, proving them wrong.

Whilst there isn't really anything comparing all games released, if you want a more prestigious or professional recognition of these things, you can sort of get a gauge of which are considered the most technically or visually impressive within the industry just by following different tech awards. For example, stuff like the DICE Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, NAVGTR Technical Award, Game Developers Choice Best Technology Award and so on. Generally (though not always) the same game will win each of these awards in any given year.

Feb 10, 2018
Whilst there isn't really anything comparing all games released, if you want a more prestigious or professional recognition of these things, you can sort of get a gauge which are considered the most technically or visually impressive within the industry just by following different tech awards. For example, stuff like the DICE Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, NAVGTR Technical Award, Game Developers Choice Best Technology Award and so on. Generally (though not always) the same game will win each of these awards in any given year.

That's interesting.
However what I suggested would be something with evidence supporting claims, Awards don't.

It would just somewhat shunt many of the useless graphics arguments on here.

However then you would get people disagreeing with DF and they would probably try and discredit them, lol.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great to me aside the snow effects. The particles look a little weird. But the rest looks nice to me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting.
However what I suggested would be something with evidence supporting claims, Awards don't.

It would just somewhat shunt many of the useless graphics arguments on here.

However then you would get people disagreeing with DF and they would probably try and discredit them, lol.

What I meant was that if a game didn't beat another winner in a given year, in terms of industry or professional insight/opinion, it probably wouldn't be in the running.

That said, at the end of the day so much of this is subjective, so even if different awards bodies agreed on certain winners, there will still awalys be differences of opinion and contention among gamers, users and on forums etc.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
Looks great. Hopefully after the tech test TC will release some campaign footage.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
uhhhh looks kinda ugly tbh...and not even close to "best of the generation." There's so many better looking games that have been released for years now.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Maybe if the OP didn't make claims like "easily the best visuals of the generation so far " it wouldn't go into a console war thread.

Regarding the game, it looks good but I'm pretty sure it's not even in the top 5 of the generation and yes I've played it myself.
Oh he's definitely at fault.
It doesn't really matter though, it was going to system war regardless. I've yet to see an Xbox thread on here that doesn't is all.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
The setting looks like both Kait and Del are visiting a frozen New Hope Facility? The architecture looks very similar, but i'm not fully sure if it really is New Hope. Windflares are also back but this time as a snow storm/blizzard. This makes me think that we'll also see a sort of sandstorm when we're going to the Red Desert. Music feels like a mix of more dominant Gears 2 music with a bit of the Gears 4 tunes. The tech test had some great music as well, so i'm hoping that they've really upped the soundtrack on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Gears 5 is a great looking game. Can't wait to get to the campaign as I'm sure we're in for a treat with some set pieces. If you don't like Gears, I get it, and that's ok, but let's not shit on the design choices based on the boot camp level which is from a deebee construction set. Much like Gears 4 it will get more awesome as you get into the environmental stages.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we ever see a game with fidelity and performance like this combined with the scale of, lets say an EDF game.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 multiplayer is a step up from Gears 4 campaign despite running at double the frame rate. Gears 4 in 4K absolutely looked like a good current gen game. People are either trolling...or smoking strong shit.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
It speaks a great deal about how insecure some people are that a comment about a game I found to be the most visually stunning game so far is met with a barrage of gifs and screens from different games that aren't on the same platform and aren't in the same genre.

If you disagree it's not the most visually stunning game so far, that's cool, but for me, playing the tech test was a visual revelation. One that hasn't been matched since I first played Horizon and explored the game world.
Oh, most def!

I'm sure TC is watching this thread and laughing at all the triggered responses from fanboys. When you get the kind of responses I've read in this thread, you just know you're doing something right. Gears 5 is gonna be a behemoth in visuals and content.

Feb 10, 2018
What I meant was that if a game didn't beat another winner in a given year, in terms of industry or professional insight/opinion, it probably wouldn't be in the running.

That said, at the end of the day so much of this is subjective, so even if different awards bodies agreed on certain winners, there will still awalys be differences of opinion and contention among gamers, users and on forums etc.

That's my point what I suggested would not be subjective.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Looks good, but it's not in the same league as the 'best looking games of this generation'.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
When you make comments like that you're always going to have people calling you out.
Instead you should have said "one of the most, if not the most impressive game I've played this generation", then the discussion might have been different.
C'mon man. Even if the thread title said, "one of best looking this gen" the same hot takes would've still taken place. Probably worse.

You set a low bar on Era for Xbox games, they don't get higher, they go lower. Sad truth..

Dec 25, 2018
The setting looks like both Kait and Del are visiting a frozen New Hope Facility? The architecture looks very similar, but i'm not fully sure if it really is New Hope. Windflares are also back but this time as a snow storm/blizzard. This makes me think that we'll also see a sort of sandstorm when we're going to the Red Desert. Music feels like a mix of more dominant Gears 2 music with a bit of the Gears 4 tunes. The tech test had some great music as well, so i'm hoping that they've really upped the soundtrack on it.

Think it could be, I watched some MP gameplay being played from the swarm side and noticed not only are end game announcers back, the swarm/locust one has Myrrha replaced by someone who sounds a lot like the AI from the new hope facility.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
At 60 fps it's looking pretty good. They will never take the image crown pushing for 60 fps on console. That's why they still push res and image quality over fps. Each dev does what they think is best for their game prioritizing performance or image quality. Neither is right or wrong just preference.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you make comments like that you're always going to have people calling you out.
Instead you should have said "one of the most, if not the most impressive game I've played this generation", then the discussion might have been different.

You're kidding yourself if you really believe Horizon and/or God of War gifs wouldn't have ended up being posted anyway if OP had skipped that sentence.

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Horizon looks better to me. By a lot.

lk298viwjfnmy4vq4koo.gif

source.gif
Those aren't real there touch up gods and yes Gears 5 is 60 fps and is superior

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're kidding yourself if you really believe Horizon and/or God of War gifs wouldn't have ended up being posted anyway if OP had skipped that sentence.

Well there would always be gifs for comparing as in any comparison thread. I'm mostly talking about the shit comments.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Probably not the best clip to claim "best graphics of the generation", just saying. Muted colors, limited enemy interaction or animation, no close up of character models...

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The snow effects and overall visuals are not looking nearly as good to call them "mindblowing" and "the best this gen. It makes clear why Coalition didn't want to show any gameplay sequence from campaign. I mean Gears 5 isn't even hyped enough for a game at the end cycle of this generation. It seems OP did hyperbole on purpose.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Playing at 4k60ish with a mix of High/Ultra settings.
Liked what I saw of the training but I thought the benchmark scene was underwhelming.
It's fine but nothing mind blowing by 2019 standards.