• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"easily the best visuals of the generation so far"

Welp, that's one way to derail a thread before it even starts.
Yea I just don't understand why op did that ? This is about gears 5.with a comment like that u r gonna derail the thread before it even starts . Shame really.

Game looks great and no ,,nowhere near "easily " best of generation.but that's ok as it is 60 fps and for that it looks amazing.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
What made gears a top contender in graphics last gen and a leader in some cases was the fact it was made by epic. All the new unreal tech was unleashed on that series first usually and the devs had such an understanding of their engine and could work with the engineers very easily.

This game looks great but it's now done by a diff studio and not an epic made game.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
My post on it from the OT.

Regarding it being the best visuals by far this gen, based only on this tiny snippet, I'd have to strongly disagree. Imo there are a few other games that do snowy environments far more convincingly, with more realistic snow deformation, effects and granularity, as well as more detail and scope in the environments themselves. That said, these other games aren't 60fps so it's not exactly a fair comparison, though saying that we don't yet know the scale of Gears 5's environments either, so that factors in too.

WA3YjY8.gif

source.gif

I would not use fake artificial Gifs to prove a point

RepedeYuriKarol

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jul 17, 2019
I don't have a PS4 and haven't played Horizon or God of wwr. They looks amazing but one thing to consider aside 30 vs 60 fps is that in those specific gifs nothing is going on. Its just people walking where in the Gears gifs there are tons of particle effects, enemies on screen etc.

What I think Gears 5 is doing well (and probably Halo infinite) is a combination of looking fantastic, running at 4k 60fps and balancing performance

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say on my 65" OLED with an xbox one x, it blew me away. I thought it would look like Gears 4 but it is a major step up. Not gonna get into comparing it with other non-60FPS games. I will say after getting a new PC (which I still need to try the Gears test on), I am starting to value frame-rate over graphics quality.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
EA shits out a Madden every year and according to metacritic, is just as good as Gears 4 LOL

Well yes, that indicates the Madden games are very good multi-player titles. Same with FIFA. What were you expecting?
Heck, outside the Era bubble, both series are well regarded.

But that is a shit analogy, since the Madden series doesn't have a story driven campaign mode. Surely you can come up with an example that has a story driven campaign?

This is an extensive derail, though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played the game but I have seen plenty direct feed footage and it's never looked as good as his shots would indicate. Your shots are far more reasonable, you can see a few flat areas and they don't look near flawless with perfect lighting and color grading. It's a great looking game but I always found the praise for it a little overwhelming based on everything I'd seen.

So you haven't even played the game, but earlier you disregard actual gameplay screens with the following.
Those pics look doctored to hell and black tbh, you can tell from the blur coming from the edges of the pics. This is what Horizon actually looks like.

Lol.

I think the fact that you didn't even believe they were real gameplay shots because they looked so good, says it all really. And I posted those particular shots because I thought they suited the kind of environment shown in the benchmark demo.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say on my 65" OLED with an xbox one x, it blew me away. I thought it would look like Gears 4 but it is a major step up. Not gonna get into comparing it with other non-60FPS games. I will say after getting a new PC (which I still need to try the Gears test on), I am starting to value frame-rate over graphics quality.

Yup. Playing the tech test on an X and a well calibrated OLED, it's literally no contest. It is absolutely the most visually stunning game I've seen so far. Beats out any game anyone can bring up to compare it to.

I can only assume those who are arguing otherwise haven't played the tech test or haven't played it on a X + OLED. It's mindblowing. The last time I was this blown away was when I first booted up HZD.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So you haven't even played the game, but earlier you disregard actual gameplay screens with the following.

Lol.
It's always the ones who haven't played HZD, that call the gifs fake and shots doctored( despite sunhi saying he just plays with color gradient and some blurring to pop the action ).that's actually a testament to GG for making such engine .

Anyways let's not please derail this thread despite op trying to invite derailment .this is about gears 5 :) can't wait to see the campaign footage in Sept

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i'm really concerned that the actual campaign gameplay, the fight, looks exactly like the gears we know and love. i was really hoping for more natural environments but i guess i should have known better the instant we saw that escape and mp retained that design.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why its needs to compared. Every game does something different. And Gears 5 goes to 60fps. where other dont and push something else more. So comparisons dont make alot of sense then.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
That particular footage didn't really wow me at all. Thats not to say the game doesn't look mindblowing. Been playing the tech test and if that's any indication gears 5 is gonna look and play amazing.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yes, that indicates the Madden games are very good multi-player titles. Same with FIFA. What were you expecting?
Heck, outside the Era bubble, both series are well regarded.

But that is a shit analogy, since the Madden series doesn't have a story driven campaign mode. Surely you can come up with an example that has a story driven campaign?

This is an extensive derail, though.

Not trying to derail, but my point is metacritic isn't exactly the best source to use to say a game is "good"

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Based on the stress test; Gears 5 looks good, but doesn't look outstanding imo.
the texture quality isn't the greatest, the lighting is flat, the snow deformation is basic, and weather effects are pretty underwhelming.

But, the tech test is more about the intensity of the scene, stressing the machine, rather that finding an astheticlly nice looking scene.
It looks good for a 60FPS game, so it's nailing what it's going for.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Best graphics of the generation? I don't see what's so great about this footage that warrants that description.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
from playing the game on my PC, i think it looks rather nice, pretty impressive overall.
not sure it warrants the "best graphics of the generation" comment though.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I can judge a game's visuals without having played it and there's a big difference between your shots and i-Lo. Watching direct feed uncompressed 4k footage is basically the same as playing the game.

Just FYI I updated that post with another screen a bit of new info.

The thing with Horizon is that when the game looks good it can really look fantastic. However, the biggest issue lies with its LoD system pertaining to barren (rocky) ground detail. The AF does not seem to be 8x which hurts it. I generally tended to drive the character through foliage which was its strong point.

When the game looks good:

c3720a1137915994.png

523f161137938354.png

b0dc3b1137889844.png

When the game's mid distance LoD deficiency pop up (it was improved for the DLC):

7a15861137917474.png

e56ae31137917424.png

3abc091138016124.png

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, that benchmark segment looks like a last gen game in 4K. The game itself looks a lot better, and the fact its running at 60fps its really impressive.

But these graphics its not even close to some visual goodness we have this gen. The game looks good, just like the most Unreal Engine 4 titles. Maybe the campaign will have a more unconventional graphics and atmosphere... we'll see.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
That streamable footage isn't doing the game justice, the bit rate is awful. Also to the people posting multiplayer footage, the multi runs at 60 fps on a base Xbox One the campaign doesn't. Just like Gears 4, there will be a substantial difference between the two. Even though the multi looks really good too, a large jump from 4's multi.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I came here to see Gears 5 screenshots and gifs. Not to be bombarded with Horizon Zero Dawn gifs and pictures. Seriously, I understand you don't agree with OP, but we don't need every thread about graphics to be assassulted with HZ:D gifs.

kingPaPi

Mar 28, 2018
Nyc/LA
Watched the boot camp video in 4K and the game is extremely clean looking

I was actually impressed

Wasn't impressed at all by the snow benchmark footage.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure the OP just put that in there to get more replies to his thread.

Either way, I think the footage looks very nice. Sure, there are quite a number of games that impress me more, DMCV at 60 fps for instance, although that games environments could be better.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Yep it's looking fantastic. Gears 5 has set a new benchmark for graphics. 4k and 60 fps is hard to beat though.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 is one of the most technically impressive console games in motion due to 60 FPS and the particle/weather effects. Weird seeing people working so hard to say they're not impressed by what Coalition has done. Don't most other games posted drop to 1080P when in 4K mode?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I came here to see Gears 5 screenshots and gifs. Not to be bombarded with Horizon Zero Dawn gifs and pictures. Seriously, I understand you don't agree with OP, but we don't need every thread about graphics to be assassulted with HZ:D gifs.

OP own fault for starting the thread with that statement. You say it's easily the best looking game, people disagree and post images to counter you. The op basically made this thread about what the best looking game is instead about gears 5 in their very first sentence.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
User warned: System warring.
What do you expect from SonyEra at this point? Kids need to grow up and not to take other peoples opinions as a shot against their preferred plastic.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Looking forward to this. It's going to look stunning running at top end 4k, 60fps on the X.

Hope the multiplayer's decent though.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People comparing this to Horizon are forgetting that Gears 5 is 60fps vs Horizon at 30fps, which is huge.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Benchmark wise, my medium spec wise pc/laptop are running pretty decent on Ultra settings.

Alienware R4 17
i7 7700
GTX 1070
16GB DDR4 RAM
1080p

Custom PC (old)
i7 4770
GTX 980ti
16GB DDR3 RAM
1440p

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
The Coalition are amazing. Visual show piece and still cranking out 60FPS. Beasts.

Gears moving to 60FPS was the best decision they've ever made. Gorgeous visuals and silky smooth gameplay. I know we're barely getting Gears 5 but I can't wait to see what they do with Scarlett.

Oct 27, 2017
Are most (or all) of the Horizon material in this thread from the base game or the expansion as well? I could never get into it for whatever reason, maybe I should revisit it.