• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

These areas are perhaps closer in size to those found in games like Metro Exodus — not truly open world — but designed to foster exploration and reward players who enjoy traversal. To accommodate the format, Gears 5 is the first in the series with an actual map function, giving you access to "?" locations which could contain resources, story elements, or collectibles.

Temporal reproduction plays a crucial role in grounding Gears 5, ensuring the perception of constant visuals and fluidity when under strain. With 60 FPS locked across the sandbox, the game leverages dynamic resolution scaling masked with temporal reproduction in demanding scenarios. "[W]e have a form of dynamic scaling in the game," said Rayner. "We'll render 4K native resolution. But if we're under extreme pressure, let's say we have something crazy going on, to ensure that we have a locked 60 frames per second, we will let that dynamic scaling kick in. But then we use an upscaling technique that's sort of a modern technique, it's called temporal rejection. But it's much more sophisticated than just like a simple scale like we had in Gears 4."

You can simply ignore all of the side quests and content if you so choose. We were told that The Coalition expects a player skipping side quests and exploration could get through the campaign in around 12 hours, while those who dabble would see 20 plus.

ElaborateHardtofindBirdofparadise-size_restricted.gif

gears-5-launch-29.jpg

Last edited:

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Please no horde sections lumped into the campaign, also please no long fights with the boring ass robots.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yummie

The fact Gears 5 somehow achieves 4K 60 on the Xbox One X across all of its modes, without apparently sacrificing any of the visual quality from Gears of War 4 is nothing short of wizardry. The game was as smooth as they come, with fluid, satisfying gunplay and polished vehicle handling on the Skiff. Some of the lighting and draw distances simply defy belief, and although the game uses dynamic resolution scaling to maintain that frame rate, it's difficult to perceive with the naked eye.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we can stop the "is anyone worried about Gears" posts now. Sounds amazing.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

Nice to hear. Gears 5 is coming to Steam day 1, so i'll most likely buy it at launch. This sounds so much better than Gears 4 is not even close haha:

Exploration and discovery is a huge part of how Gears 5 moves the series forward, with numerous points and items to find across the map. From main and side missions, to points of interest (where I found anything from collectibles, ammo and weapons), as well as components to upgrade Jack and Relic weapons. These relics weapons are specifically customised with certain attributes, skins and attachments to add to the gun fight chaos like sniper rifles that shoot two bullets at a time. Some relic weapons are also "easter eggs weapons" which returning players to the series will enjoy uncovering. The greatest and most enjoyable part of the open world nature of Gears 5 was sledding and sledging the terrain in The Skiff.

They definitely got inspired by God of War.

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really didn't expect for them to pull this off with a ~2.5 year dev cycle. That's extremely impressive. Can't wait to play it.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This sounds like the type of change we needed from the franchise.

A "Breath of the Wild" moment as it were.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Exploration and discovery is a huge part of how Gears 5 moves the series forward, with numerous points and items to find across the map. From main and side missions, to points of interest (where I found anything from collectibles, ammo and weapons), as well as components to upgrade Jack and Relic weapons. These relics weapons are specifically customised with certain attributes, skins and attachments to add to the gun fight chaos like sniper rifles that shoot two bullets at a time. Some relic weapons are also "easter eggs weapons" which returning players to the series will enjoy uncovering. The greatest and most enjoyable part of the open world nature of Gears 5 was sledding and sledging the terrain in The Skiff.

The Skiff is the ultimate vehicle when it comes to traversing the map. It has somewhat of a metal sleigh contraption for passengers with a wake-boarding/windsail element for steering. It was easily manoeuvrable and took me around different locations in no time at all. The best part about the Skiff was that I could hop on and off it whenever I liked, which greatly added to the exploration and the swaying from just wanting to progress the story. I could be making my way to a side mission, but pass by an abandoned train tunnel that I'd check out first for any spare loot, or be on my way to a main mission, see a old boat house across the frozen lake, which I was sure would have some goodies inside, and quickly pull a Fast and Furious like manoeuvre to divert my path. And yes it did have goodies in the form of a Relic Weapon sniper. Obviously with things like weapons to find out in the world, especially relics, the question that comes to mind is how do you choose what to keep on your back or throw away? This is where the skiff adds to more than just traversal.
At the front of the skiff, on each side, is a weapons locker that allowed me to stow two weapons (one on each side) for combat later. I really appreciated the weapon locker mechanic, but more specifically that it was with you on the skiff and not in some main or checkpoint hub. I could have a different load out and play style ready and easily accessible at a whim.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

THEY DUCKING DID IT!!!!

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
From ArsTechnica: "After a six-hour gameplay event at Microsoft's Coalition studio—and hours more spent testing its online versus options in a July beta test—I've come to a conclusion that I can't shake off. The Xbox Game Pass subscription service now has its official, signature game: the something-for-everyone blockbuster that lands less as a "must-buy" product and more as a no-brainer action game to sample. "

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...ew-blockbuster-for-the-game-subscription-era/

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this game is free with Gamepass. So much great stuff crammed into it.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Sound like they did at much as they could without killing my favorite gears style gameplay.

If the performance is also flawless than they did one hell of a job. Chapeau TC.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe partially? It sound so close to the change God of War did for the series.

The e3 2018 gears 5 trailer already gave pretty big hints in regards to what changes are coming, and Coalition has also been teasing the game evolving and becoming more open ended. That was only a couple of months from when God of War released.