• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A bit of info tucked away in the Xbox Game Pass for PC announcement that I thought was thread-worthy on its own.

In March, we announced that Halo: The Master Chief Collection will come to PC later this year, launching on Steam in addition to the Microsoft Store on Windows. We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II & III: Definitive Editions. We know millions of PC gamers trust Steam as a great source to buy PC games and we've heard the feedback that PC gamers would like choice. We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future.

Between this and Halo: The Master Chief Collection, I think it's safe to assume that major PC releases from Microsoft will be launched on both the Windows Store and Steam going forward. Hopefully Halo Infinite also comes to Steam, and maybe some of their back catalogue as well.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Good news!! Amazing move.

If MS ever sort their store I could consider buying from there.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I want to pre-order it now!

Hopefully they will bring Gears of War 4 as well. Couldn't even finish it on the Windows Store because it suddenly didn't start anymore

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic. I will be playing it through Game Pass but this is excellent news for those who really don't like the Windows Store.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Awesome. I admit that I'm not a huge Gears fan, but I will gladly purchase a copy on Steam. Phil out here listening to the people who buy/want to buy their games and trying to give the people what they want where they want and that's great.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
With all the competition that is moving to their own stores or getting bought by Epic this is the perfect opportunity to reach a lot of new customers on the huge Steam platform with very little competition. And it generates a lot of goodwill, too

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
"We also know that there are other stores on PC, and we are working to enable more choice in which store you can find our Xbox Game Studios titles in the future."

Might come to Epic Games Store too?

Can't imagine GoG because of Windows Live as a DRM.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great news. I can honestly say that the last few games I bought on Windows store gave me no issues (GOW 4, Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves) but would obviously rather have on Steam.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Cowardly move from Microsoft. This is not how you retake control of your platform.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great news. I can honestly say that the last few games I bought on Windows store gave me no issues (GOW 4, Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves) but would obviously rather have on Steam.
Same. This is good news though and I will double dip on Horizon 4 for a Steam version if it does eventually end up there.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
I was not going to buy this at launch, but now I will just to support their decision.

Good on them.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent news, haven't played a Gears game since 3 so looking forward to getting back into it!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft making all the correct moves lately.
lol Steam gets Gears 5 instead of Epic, how ironic.
q6CAvBi.gif

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
lol Steam gets Gears 5 instead of Epic, how ironic.

"All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow"

SBY3ARvZ_400x400.jpg

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. That's terrific news!

Valve would be smart to get cozy with MS now.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad they've dumped their WIndows store for Stream though (and yes I know it's still coming to their store but who in their right mind is going to pick that over Steam right? :P ). Love the AoE games but really annoyed they weren't on Steam. AoE4 hype just intensified a whole lot more!

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm so glad they've dumped their WIndows store for Stream though (and yes I know it's still coming to their store but who in their right mind is going to pick that over Steam right? :P ). Love the AoE games but really annoyed they weren't on Steam. AoE4 hype just intensified a whole lot more!
Their store will most likely have xplay while steam version wont. Thats the only advantage it would have.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Although i wish they would make a good store to begin with, as of right now, you gotta go where the PC gamers are. And right now, theyre on Steam.

And they will continue to be there when you allow them to be. Shipping your titles on Steam gives license to people to exist there forever, to not look outside the store for those titles.

Microsoft is a platform holder. The PC is one of those platforms. Giving 30% to Valve is beneath them, and I am saddened they made the decision to do so.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Hope you Steam players are ready to play the only multiplayer shooter where controller excels over keyboard

Whew chile

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Nope! Not sarcastic. I think it's important for Microsoft to build up the Windows Store and shipping on Steam hurts that effort.
I think that going forward, the Windows Store will be more for folks who want crossbuy for PC and Xbox. If Microsoft wants to reach the PC audience that typically only plays on PC, releasing on Steam as well as the Windows Store is probably the best move. Time has proven that people really do not want to switch from Steam.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Probably later:

We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II & III: Definitive Editions.

16 other games. That's gotta be pretty much everything MS has released on PC and is currently not on Steam.

Their store will most likely have xplay while steam version wont. Thats the only advantage it would have.

Game pass is (arguably) advantage too.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I think that going forward, the Windows Store will be more for folks who want crossbuy for PC and Xbox. If Microsoft wants to reach the PC audience that typically only plays on PC, releasing on Steam as well as the Windows Store is probably the best move. Time has proven that people really do not want to switch from Steam.

Oh, they absolutely don't want to switch from Steam, but they will. The big titles are going to be on Epic going forward. All that has been lost here is Microsoft being part of that great transition.