• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
And they will continue to be there when you allow them to be. Shipping your titles on Steam gives license to people to exist there forever, to not look outside the store for those titles.

Microsoft is a platform holder. The PC is one of those platforms. Giving 30% to Valve is beneath them, and I am saddened they made the decision to do so.

People tried to use Windowd Store, some had to reinstall Windows

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a bigger SSD! Recently had to uninstall GoW 4 due to its enormous size.

Looking forward to this.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Man, having MS's first party games on Steam is so fucking convenient for me. The biggest win is regional pricing!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Oh, they absolutely don't want to switch from Steam, but they will. The big titles are going to be on Epic going forward. All that has been lost here is Microsoft being part of that great transition.

Lol what

Have you seen any Steam player count? The most played games are from Valve (DOTA, CS) and things like PUBG. Not Hades or Metro Exodus (that will be on steam for cheap anyway)

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
And they will continue to be there when you allow them to be. Shipping your titles on Steam gives license to people to exist there forever, to not look outside the store for those titles.

Microsoft is a platform holder. The PC is one of those platforms. Giving 30% to Valve is beneath them, and I am saddened they made the decision to do so.

Well, the problem is that right now, you only see the landscape as it is currently. And right now, people buy their games in stores. But down the line, if Streaming through xcloud ever takes off or things like Xbox game pass for PC take off, you technically wont need a "store" to buy those games.

If your subscribed to xcloud and are playing infinite through that, then you're more than likely already subscribed to that service. And that service will undoubtedly have a "purchase now" option for those games youre currently streaming. Just like gamepass on xbox already does. That wont need a "store" per say.

The future isnt buying games in stores, its streaming. And streaming will be done via microsofts owned services, like xcloud. Not steam.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Well, the problem is that right now, you only see the landscape as it is currently. And right now, people buy their games in stores. But down the line, if Streaming throught xcloud ever takes off or things like Xbox game pass for PC take off, you technically wont need a "store" to buy those games.

If your subscribed to xcloud and are playing infinite through that, then you're more than likely already subscribed to that service. And that service will undoubtedly have a "purchase now" option for those games youre currently streaming. Just like gamepass on xbox already does. That wont need a "store" per say.

The future isnt buying games in stores, its streaming. And streaming will be done via microsofts owned services, like xcloud. Not steam.

The future is a cloud streaming service, I don't disagree with you there.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017

They 100% won't be giving 30% to Valve. Also, they've tried for years to get people to use their Store, it just isn't happening.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, they absolutely don't want to switch from Steam, but they will. The big titles are going to be on Epic going forward. All that has been lost here is Microsoft being part of that great transition.
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's games eventually find their way to the Epic store. Microsoft cares less and less about their games being exclusive to their own platforms as time goes on. They want you playing their games wherever you want to play them. They don't seemingly care as much that you're playing them on their own service.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

They made the decision to reach more consumers. It's obvious. No other storefront has the numbers Steam has; so if you want to prioritize that platform, you follow the market.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
lol Steam gets Gears 5 instead of Epic, how ironic.
tenor.gif

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

I"m certain they've got a special deal with Steam at this point for their rate so it's probably not even 30%.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Calling it now, Gears 5 will be the best selling Gears of War LTD, it Will also have the best launch for the franchise with over $200 million dollars in its opening week and pushing the franchise to $2 billion in revenue.
Hope you Steam players are ready to play the only multiplayer shooter where controller excels over keyboard
This

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
Just curious, are these games coming to steam with Xbox Live integration like Xbox Achievements and stuff? Or will it only be Steam achievements? Cause thats why I play on Windows Store in the first place.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Yeah it would be new but I don't see it being lower then the current lowest it can be which is 20%?

Yeah, that's too high for a platform holder. I get why Microsoft is doing this and I understand that it is largely temporary; xCloud and a thing that will be announced at E3 but has not leaked yet [Post-E3 Edit: I was referring to the new Xbox app, which replaces the Windows Store for games] will rule the day long term, but I still think shipping on Steam trains the consumer that Steam is a place to buy Microsoft titles long term, and I don't think it *should be*.

Unless Valve adds a way for Microsoft to assign Xbox licenses for those titles (Play Anywhere) and for Microsoft to offer PC Game Pass via Steam. Otherwise MS is chopping off parts of their offering, making it possible to for future Xbox customers to buy the wrong SKU of a game. Blah.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's too high for a platform holder. I get why Microsoft is doing this and I understand that it is largely temporary; xCloud and a thing that will be announced at E3 will rule the day long term, but I still think shipping on Steam trains the consumer that Steam is a place to buy Microsoft titles long term, and I don't think it *should be*.

Unless Valve adds a way for Microsoft to assign Xbox licenses for those titles (Play Anywhere) and for Microsoft to offer PC Game Pass via Steam. Otherwise MS is chopping off parts of their offering, making it possible to for future Xbox customers to buy the wrong SKU of a game. Blah.

Do you have Microsoft stocks ? Or is fanboyism that hell of a drug ?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Just curious, are these games coming to steam with Xbox Live integration like Xbox Achievements and stuff? Or will it only be Steam achievements? Cause thats why I play on Windows Store in the first place.

Xbox live achievements along with all other Xbox Social features are supported.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's too high for a platform holder. I get why Microsoft is doing this and I understand that it is largely temporary; xCloud and a thing that will be announced at E3 will rule the day long term, but I still think shipping on Steam trains the consumer that Steam is a place to buy Microsoft titles long term, and I don't think it *should be*.

The fact that you're upset that more people have access to buy a game is telling.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
"We know millions of PC gamers trust Steam as a great source to buy PC games and we've heard the feedback that PC gamers would like choice."
Jake-Gyllenhaal-Thank-You.gif

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Hope you Steam players are ready to play the only multiplayer shooter where controller excels over keyboard
Ah I don't think so. Movement is maybe a bit harder to learn on M/K but in the end of the day you still just need to click on heads. For example, the sniper was pretty OP in Gears 4.
I think it's a good idea to separate the different input methods or at least make crossplay opt-in.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do we have the list of all the 20 Microsoft Studios titles that are coming out on Steam too?
All future XGS games are coming to Steam. The "20" part refers to the games that already are on Steam.
We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II & III: Definitive Editions.
news.xbox.com

Our Approach to PC Gaming - Xbox Wire

We believe the player should be at the center of their gaming experience and be able to harness the unique benefits of the devices they choose to play on. Nowhere is that belief more important than on the PC. As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we’re investing...

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Stuff like Ori, Quantum Break and the like.

Not exactly. Remedy (Quantum Break) has an old 360-era contract with Microsoft that has been renewed on a per-game basis with the same strange stipulations in it. The agreement allows Remedy to offer a PC port to whatever store front they want after 1 year since Xbox release has passed.

Ori was a title Microsoft decided to publish on Steam.

Going forward, I would expect to see Forza Horizon 4, Gears 4, Age of Empires 1: DE and a few other UWP titles offered on Steam. Along with all future MGS releases, of course.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
We will continue to add to the more than 20 Xbox Game Studios titles on Steam, starting with Gears 5 and all Age of Empires I, II & III: Definitive Editions.

16 other games. That's gotta be pretty much everything MS has released on PC and is currently not on Steam.
Aren't they saying there's 20 games already and they're adding more, not that they're adding 20?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering lately if we'll see a Minecraft Steam announcement at E3.

It just feels like it makes sense with them announcing that Halo is going to be on steam and now, Gears 5.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
All future XGS games are coming to Steam. The "20" part refers to the games that already are on Steam.

news.xbox.com

We believe the player should be at the center of their gaming experience and be able to harness the unique benefits of the devices they choose to play on. Nowhere is that belief more important than on the PC. As the creators of Windows, we have a unique responsibility to ensure we’re investing...

I wish past XGS games were as well - especially Gears of War.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If yall really wanted to play gears 4, then just go to cdkeys and purchase the windows store version for like 5 dollars. That's what my friend and I did. The game is a bit of a technical mess but it's fun enough.

Nov 28, 2017
It's referring to the 20 titles already out on Steam isn't it?

Stuff like Ori, Quantum Break and the like.

news.xbox.com

Oops, my mistake.