• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about Gears of War, but Microsoft putting a new-ass game in one of their evergreen franchises on Steam is kind of a bombshell.
MS games are on Steam because all of this is to mend all the bridges they have broken for more than a decade now.
They want to show the PC gamers that MS also cares about them and that they should subscribe to their gaming services. They wouldnt recover their damaged brand value with partnering with EGS but they would by partnering with Steam.

It is that simple.
Basically, yeah. They want the PC crowd to look on them positively for probably the first time in a decade because they have a bunch of stuff they're bringing in the coming years, but this is still good news.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
This is good news. I tolerated the MS store for Gears 4 and was kinda already preparing to go through that shit again.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Imagine Halo Infinite on Steam day one. Gamepass day one on PC, Gamepass day one on Xbox.
Players numbers are gonna be big.
81PdIfQ.gif

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I guess MS really is serious about pc gaming this time. Great news!

I think the writing was always on the wall tho. But i understand alot of people being skeptical about it.
But if you follow Spencer and what he said and what his vision is its all coming out. Also Xbox took over PC gaming from the windows team last year and can now more do what they want as a gaming team.
Expect a MS store change regarding gaming also soon.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, mistyped that. Yes it's coming out to the store, just happy that with Steam we don't have to do that store anymore.
Its gonna get a big overhaul tho. Probably hear about that soon. Wont be like Steam offcourse. But if you want to play the upcoming games with Gamepass that store isnt bad also,

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I will buy almost everything Microsoft puts on Steam, including MCC, Forza and Gears. Microsoft is making a lot of pro-customer moves and I will make sure to reward them for it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really, they're personal computers. PC is not an exclusive term for windows machines, no matter how some seem to think it is.
It stemmed from "IBM personal computers" way back and is still used like that today, though of course "personal computer" can mean anything.
That's why we had that whole Mac vs PC campaign from Apple.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This is simply not true - Microsoft is a platform holder, they get to introduce new things.
Yeah, and everyone else who makes software gets to decide whether they want to help them push their failed cellphone platform on PC.
Given the trajectory of UWP, it seems like most of us have decided.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Yeah, and everyone else who makes software gets to decide whether they want to help them push their failed cellphone platform on PC.
Given the trajectory of UWP, it seems like most of us have decided.

Seeing as you have conceded that your post from earlier is wrong, I think we are done here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Seeing as you have conceded that your post from earlier is wrong, I think we are done here.
Not at all. I just agreed with you that Microsoft can introduce new things.
But making those things break compatibility was their choice, no one is required to support them.
(And apparently it was the wrong choice, given the state of UWP)

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah that's definite no. MS will want to keep Xbox gamers at their store.
Cross buy is complicated when you are giving a chunk of the sale away to a third party, but it could be done if Microsoft were willing to do license assignment to the first-used Xbox LIve account with that specific game. Without Valve adding new functionality to Steam, that is the best they can do. I doubt they will do so, they have not done so thus far.

True save sync is coming to the Win32 Xbox Live feature set, but it's not here today. It may arrive in time for it not to be missing from upcoming Steam MGS releases.
That will probably remain a Microsoft Store feature.
I would actually wager that it would have cross-save, since it connects to your live account.

Cross-buy, though, probably not.
Thanks for the reply folks! Yeah, I would assume not, but I could see them work something out. I assume multiplayer games would like to have one integrated playerbase, so perhaps you'd need to log into your Xbox/Microsoft account when playing. Which shouldn't be too difficult considering it's on Windows.

Edit: I meant in regards to cross-save. Cross-buy seems more challenging.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It stemmed from "IBM personal computers" way back and is still used like that today, though of course "personal computer" can mean anything.
That's why we had that whole Mac vs PC campaign from Apple.
Right, it's all marketing spin obscuring the truth. Apple attempting to make their PCs seem like some greater, separate product. People tend to fall for that more often than not.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Not at all. I just agreed with you that Microsoft can introduce new things.
But making those things break compatibility was their choice, no one is required to support them.
(And apparently it was the wrong choice, given the state of UWP)

I think you are sufficiently technical to understand how insanely hacky a workaround to launch UWP applications through third party launchers without any modifications to those launchers would be, so you just want to have a discussion over the merits of the differences between Win32 apps and UWP apps, which I am not interested in having.

There was no real choice. The work for Valve is near zero, the work for MS would be immense.

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are sufficiently technical to understand how insanely hacky a workaround to launch UWP applications through third party launchers without any modifications to those launchers would be, so you just want to have a discussion over the merits of the differences between Win32 apps and UWP apps, which I am not interested in having.

Of course, it wouldnt fit your dumb narrative you've had on this thread. UWP was a mistake on Microsoft's part, that's why it has almost 0 support from other companies.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Thanks for the reply folks! Yeah, I would assume not, but I could see them work something out. I assume multiplayer games would like to have one integrated playerbase, so perhaps you'd need to log into your Xbox/Microsoft account when playing. Which shouldn't be too difficult considering it's on Windows.

Edit: I meant in regards to cross-save. Cross-buy seems more challenging.

Cross save is coming to Win32 Xbox Live.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Imagine Halo Infinite on Steam day one. Gamepass day one on PC, Gamepass day one on Xbox.
Players numbers are gonna be big.

tenor.gif

That would LITERALLY be the rejuvenation of that franchise.

Oh and you forgot Switch day one via Xcloud Gamepass streaming :)
Yeah it's wishful thinking but let a man live.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
That's quite incredible.

With the new gen not far away and some PC advantages looking to be nullified with the new systems, I would not be surprised to see many who got into PC gaming in recent years transition back.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
MS games are on Steam because all of this is to mend all the bridges they have broken for more than a decade now.
They want to show the PC gamers that MS also cares about them and that they should subscribe to their gaming services. They wouldnt recover their damaged brand value with partnering with EGS but they would by partnering with Steam.

It is that simple.
They didn't really partner with steam as Gabe already said. They just did the same process anyone else has done on steam to submit a game.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
There was no real choice.
There was absolutely a real choice for MS: not designing UWP to be incompatible with the existing ecosystem in the first place.

Of course, back then their primary priority was trying to use their PC position as a wedge to not fail (again) in cell phones, and that goal took that much saner choice away from them.
They failed anyway (thank god, because otherwise we'd probably be stuck with UWP).

The work for Valve is near zero
This is not true at all by the way.
Quite a few things Steam does for games and which gamers expect from it are based on dll interception, such as the ability to rebind and reorder all manner of controllers, or streaming. It would not be trivial by any stretch of the imagination to make that work seamlessly and without per-game issues cropping up for UWP.

It's actually continuosly amazing to me how Valve keeps that (and even just basic overlay functionality) working for over a decades of games, spanning APIs from DirectX 7 to 12, OpenGL, and Vulkan.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

Macs are PCs.

The Windows PC is a Microsoft platform. They create and control the operating system. The underlying hardware is built to specs that Microsoft sets. Your video card is built to meet Windows Logo requirements, so it works in Windows. Your motherboard is even closer intertwined.
Windows is, not the PC. I dont need windows to play games or to run anything on it.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Platform warring and driving thread derailment over a series of posts
You've fallen for the marketing.

Macs have hardware differences when compared to Windows PCs. Just because I know things does not mean I fell for something. Furthermore, the X86 PC being (relatively) open does not change anything here - even if we falsely say that the non-Mac, non-embedded X86 PC is completely unrelated to Windows, that does not make Windows any less of a Microsoft thing. Control of the operating system is everything. An operating system is a platform.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Macs have hardware differences when compared to Windows PCs. Just because I know things does not mean I fell for something. Furthermore, the X86 PC being (relatively) open does not change anything here - even if we falsely say that the non-Mac, non-embedded X86 PC is completely unrelated to Windows, that does not make Windows any less of a Microsoft thing. Control of the operating system is everything. An operating system is a platform.
I retract my last comment.

You've fallen HARD for the marketing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Macs are X86 computers with hardware and software differences when compared with the PC.
No, they are personal computers with a marketing spin.

"PC" outside of mac have endless hardware and software differences. The basis of your argument has 0 weight.

That's it.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
No, they are personal computers with a marketing spin.

That's it.

You simply do not know what you are talking about. Again: there are key hardware and software differences, from the completely different EFI implementation to the SMC to the logic board that doesn't even come close to meeting Windows Logo requirements to custom interconnects used for the custom security processor to countless things that you are erasing to make the meaningless argument that 'anything that has an X86 chip in it and can be used for general computing is the same thing as a Windows PC'.