• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gears having a unique movement system kinda reminds me of rocket jumping and other movement techniques in arena shooters.
I'd imagine those arena shooter movement techniques would also be uncomfortable or repellent to players who look to comfortably slide into a new FPS shooter.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is a really labored, really obvious mischaracterization of what other people are saying.

It is a question that I asked in previous post. Has nothing to do with what other people are saying. it is my own personal question.
What do you want them to do for new players? Are you having trouble playing the campaign or something?
Nothing in particular for others. it's a general question out of curiosity from someone admittedly more experienced than myself. For myself I personally would like smoother movement around corners while in cover without contextual inputs such as direction + button. Would rather just hit a direction and wrap around it freely.

Last edited:

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
As many have pointed out this control scheme game changed since the beginning.

Everything in between has been refinement.

For the OP to say Gears 5 controls like trash is to say you've only played Gears 5 in which case I'd say this series of game is not one you should continue to play.

Either that or you've played other Gears games and think that previous entries have controlled significantly better (if this was the case I'd have expected much more detail in the original message comparing this to older better versions).

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
If anyone ever wanted a great example of an hyperbole, well, there you have it.

You've read it here folks. Gears 5 controls like garbage.

I admit the controls are different than what 3rd persons are usually used to, but they are nowhere near "garbage". Perfectly playable since Gears 1.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I play Rocket League (Champ, so decently high level for someone who doesn't have running mates) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky. I'm fighting the controls here. "That's Gears" is not a valid excuse. That's crappy game design.

If I remember correctly, In the older games they had control options that allowed you to separate out the two actions.

In Uncharted, a single tap will always go into cover if cover is available, but you can force a roll by double tapping if you want to roll but cover is available.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I find the people coming in saying that it's supposed to feel that way because Gears is a slower paced game, or a cover based shooter a little odd.

If you watch any decent level of competitive play, Gears 5 is not slow paced, or much of a cover based shooter. It's far faster and far more aggressive than games like The Division and Uncharted, and things like the roadie run and cover system provide the tools that swing the gameplay in that direction.

I suppose back on the topic of controls, it might feel that the controls are at odds with the pacing of the game. Gears does almost sell itself as this slow paced, cover shooter, but then you play it, especially if you play online, and you'll see everyone whizzing around.

Jun 22, 2018
It's a different style of control, but it's absolutely not bad. It feels great.

For me, it feels like Gears, but smoother than previous Gears games.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Can't disagree. It does have a unique control scheme but it's definitely not for me. Not saying it's literally unplayable but I would prefer a more traditional shooter control style for Gears. It also sucks that you can't change anything barring the few preset control styles that aren't much different from default controls.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Can't disagree. It does have a unique control scheme but it's definitely not for me. Not saying it's literally unplayable but I would prefer a more traditional shooter control style for Gears. It also sucks that you can't change anything barring the few preset control styles that aren't much different from default controls.
You can remap everything in 5. It has by far the most choice of control style out of any Gears game (or 3rd person shooter that I've played).

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm sure you feel the same way about competitive Melee.
It just looks dumb *shrug*
Outside of the sniper headshots every other scene is the camera flying all over the place with controller auto aim and the character bouncing around.
it LOOKS just incredibly dumb. it doesn't LOOK impressive, even though it is.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Huh? You can literally remap every single button

Are you on PC? Looked everywhere on the Xbox version to map the Roadie Run to a different button but didn't see an option for it.

At the bottom of the options page is the option to remap controls. You can customize every single action.