• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Would you mind pointing to where you thinking I was looking down on anyone? I'm giving my reaction, and my intention was to lay out the specific stuff that bugs me about it. No one had specified the PC controls, and I was responding to how it plays with a controller. I even specified a way something that bothered me about the controls might work well for the long-form gameplay the game is built around.
Because you're saying people like its gameplay because auto-aim (its aim-assist btw, and has wildly different values based on stats and archtypes) makes it easier to grind same content for higher loot drop (aka hamster-wheel gameplay). I'm not sure about movement lag either, because its one of the lowest latency games around. Maybe people like it because of how incredibly responsive it is like the CoD games.

OP
OP
Metanoia Prime
Oct 26, 2017
California
I suppose you don't know what good gameplay is supposed to be then, this is just wrong, lol, Gears gameplay is by far the best in its genre and its not even close...

Uncharted and The Division handle way better than Gears does. Not even close.

Yeah intentional or not, that's a great way to make your post look like a stealth boo-MS-yay-Sony thread Op.

LOL. That's funny. I do my main gaming on an XB1X, but ok. You got me.

Again, many are echoing the "Gears has always felt this way, git gud" nonsense, but that isn't valid argumentation. Because a game series has always had clunky controls does not excuse it. Period.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Early Gears, maybe, but not Gears 5. Gears 5 is the best cover shooting controls of all time.

I played through the whole series this summer as a refresher for 5, and honestly the series doesn't get enough credit for how much refinement has gone into it over the various entries. Gears 5 in particular is butter smooth.

OP
OP
Metanoia Prime
Oct 26, 2017
California
OP isn't replying to any of the decent replies and just doubling down on lazy ones. He not here to have a discussion, he just wanted to shit on the game and move on. Don't kid yourselves.
Again, we can discuss whatever you'd like. I've played Gears 2 and now Gears 5, and there is simply no excuse for Gears 5 to play like it does. It's clunky. It's stale.

Uncharted 4, The Division, and others all play better and more responsively.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Neither of those games have good PVP though.

The series has made numerous improvements to the movement system since the first game. The first game in and of itself still plays better than most other TPS games.

Gears 2: Introduced the ability to cancel a wall slide. Also increased the distance you can slide into cover.
Gears 3: Improved contextual actions on cover and adds the ability to kick someone after vaulting over a piece of cover, allowing you to use that movement option aggressively. Overall boosted the movement speed as well as your ability to turn when holding a direction and starting your sprint, making players able to move much quicker.
Gears 4: Added the ability to jump over a cover piece by hitting melee while sliding into cover. Further refinements and polish to that overall system.

While I don't really feel that Gears 5 adds anything new to how Gears feels movement wise, it's still incredibly smooth and is the only TPS out right now listed in this thread that have a very competitive PVP scene. Not to mention that Gears has hands down the best gunplay of any TPS that has PVP.

So yeah, your thread is click bait and you should just either A: Admit that you're wrong and are not good enough at the game to make such a claim or B: Stop making dumb claims and get good at the game and realize that the game has pretty much the best movement in a TPS right now.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Its a game you have to get good at. Gears felt like shit at first, but tbh so do a lot of games that have great controls. Fighting games feel super clunky if youre not good for example.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I can see criticisms for other aspects but the controls or how it feels? Nope. And saying Uncharted feels better is all I needed to hear. You can prefer Uncharted but to say it's good while Gears 5 is garbage? It sounds like fanboyism.

Edit: I see you do most gaming on the X. Idk, man, I guess some people don't like peanut butter so some people may feel Gears 5 controls like garbage. Weird af to me.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Again, we can discuss whatever you'd like. I've played Gears 2 and now Gears 5, and there is simply no excuse for Gears 5 to play like it does. It's clunky. It's stale.

Just because Uncharted will automate everything for you by repeatedly tapping X doesn't mean Gears plays clunky

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Gears has always had a unique control system, which I like because if it controlled like other games I'd find it less interesting.
Gears 5, and 4 before it actually, control better than ever and I find it pretty great feeling when playing the games.
Gears 5 is leaps and bounds inproved over gears 1
I played the Gears games from 1-4 in the month prior to 5 releasing, and I'd have to agree with this.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
My only complaint with this iteration vs the previous ones in the controls department is that I feel like you have to hold "roll" a bit longer to roadie run leading to a bunch of stupid moments where I roll right into/beside an enemy with a gnasher.

Speaking of, why is there even a roll in Gears. Since gears 1 I've never used it intentionally unless I was Ninja-jump-glitching in the first years.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can feel however youd like and still be factually incorrect.
They feel nothing alike.
Gears 1 is a goddamn dying chugging steam engine by comparison
Sorry, but it's not working. I still feel like the controls are ancient. There's nothing "fact" about it, this is all subjective. If you don't like it then ignore it. I honestly am just not a fan.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LOL. That's funny. I do my main gaming on an XB1X, but ok. You got me.

Again, many are echoing the "Gears has always felt this way, git gud" nonsense, but that isn't valid argumentation. Because a game series has always had clunky controls does not excuse it. Period.

Damn dude you're dense.

When people are saying it has always played this way they are talking about tight gameplay that has been praised for over a decade. You trying to pretend it's clunky and trying to make that some sort of gotcha is laughable.

So yeah, get gud, because the controls aren't the issue here.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't a shit post. This is just how it is. Move along or just accept that's how I feel about it. *shrug*
To say that Gears 1 and 5 play the same is just wrong. Hell, if Gears 1 was doing in 2006 what Gears 5 is doing now that would just have been an insane achievement for that game.

To say it "feels like" 2006 is just hilarious to me. What the fuck does 2006 feel like? It certainly plays better than RE4, which came out a year prior. Gears literally changed everything for TPS when it came out. And it's still the gold standard. The only thing that has come close has been TLOU, and even that could feel wonky around cover pieces at times because it felt like the game had a different idea than you did,

Someone made the comparison to a fighting game earlier. You really do need to master the movement in Gears. It's dead simple in principle but there is a lot of nuance and inherent strategy to it. It doesn't play like anything else and nothing plays even close to it in the genre.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint with this iteration vs the previous ones in the controls department is that I feel like you have to hold "roll" a bit longer to roadie run leading to a bunch of stupid moments where I roll right into/beside an enemy with a gnasher.

Speaking of, why is there even a roll in Gears. Since gears 1 I've never used it intentionally unless I was Ninja-jump-glitching in the first years.
I guess when someone's shooting at you and you're just running, your speed actually slows to a crawl making it certain that you'll be downed. Rolling lets you move forward through fire without a speed penalty.

Rolling though, to me, is like the Castlevania 1 jump, where once you initiate a roll you're pretty much stuck with it and have to follow through. I think that's why "sliding" into cover is great because it lets you move faster towards something, but you can "back out" of it and you don't have like... a "recovery." I'm no expert though.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To say that Gears 1 and 5 play the same is just wrong. Hell, if Gears 1 was doing in 2006 what Gears 5 is doing now that would just have been an insane achievement for that game.

To say it "feels like" 2006 is just hilarious to me. What the fuck does 2006 feel like? It certainly plays better than RE4, which came out a year prior. Gears literally changed everything for TPS when it came out. And it's still the gold standard. The only thing that has come close has been TLOU, and even that could feel wonky around cover pieces at times because it felt like the game had a different idea than you did,

Someone made the comparison to a fighting game earlier. You really do need to master the movement in Gears. It's dead simple in principle but there is a lot of nuance and inherent strategy to it. It doesn't play like anything else and nothing plays even close to it in the genre.
I don't know why you're comparing The Last of Us or Resident Evil 4 because I think Gears feels different than both of those games. Don't care about comparing them either. At the end of the day, Gears 5 feels clunky to me, just like the first. It's been awhile since I played the remastered (first time playing it), but it feels similar. Don't know what to tell you other than I agree with the OP. Like it or not, that's just how it is.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why you're comparing The Last of Us or Resident Evil 4 because I think Gears feels different than both of those games. Don't care about comparing them either. At the end of the day, Gears 5 feels clunky to me, just like the first. It's been awhile since I played the remastered (first time playing it), but it feels similar. Don't know what to tell you other than I agree with the OP. Like it or not, that's just how it is.
I mean, get out of the thread if you're not going to bring anything compelling then...

You saying that you played the Gears 1 remaster, which was specifically designed to feel EXACTLY like the original game, does nothing to contribute to a thread suggesting that Gears 5 has a bad movement system.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, get out of the thread if you're not going to bring anything compelling then...

You saying that you played the Gears 1 remaster, which was specifically designed to feel EXACTLY like the original game, does nothing to contribute to a thread suggesting that Gears 5 has a bad movement system.
The thread is about Gears 5 controlling "like garbage". I concur. Anything else?

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
The thread is about Gears 5 controlling "like garbage". I concur. Anything else?
Did you play it though? It doesn't seem like you did.

Also, you concurring with click bait and horribly reasoned opinions doesn't help how anyone is considering your argument right now.

You might as well TRY having an actual discussion, otherwise you might as well leave the thread or be seen as a shit-posting troll...

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did you play it though? It doesn't seem like you did.

Also, you concurring with click bait and horribly reasoned opinions doesn't help how anyone is considering your argument right now.

You might as well TRY having an actual discussion, otherwise you might as well leave the thread or be seen as a shit-posting troll...
It's clunky. What else is there to say? If you want to continue harassing me about my subjective opinion on it then go ahead.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I guess when someone's shooting at you and you're just running, your speed actually slows to a crawl making it certain that you'll be downed. Rolling lets you move forward through fire without a speed penalty.

Rolling though, to me, is like the Castlevania 1 jump, where once you initiate a roll you're pretty much stuck with it and have to follow through. I think that's why "sliding" into cover is great because it lets you move faster towards something, but you can "back out" of it and you don't have like... a "recovery." I'm no expert though.
It depends on which iteration of Gears you're playing. In 2 rolling was useful because it helped with stopping power like you mentioned, but it also moved you faster than the roadie run so spamming it was the Gears equivalent of bunnyhopping.

As it stand with 5, rolling is only really useful when facing assault rifles at medium to long distance. Roll in a shotgun battle and you're fucking dead.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
It's clunky. What else is there to say? If you want to continue harassing me about my subjective opinion on it then go ahead.
How is it clunky? Explain. Reason. Do ANYTHING other than add another low-effort post to the pool of low-effort posts.

Anyway, I'll just ignore you.

There is nothing "clunky" about the movement system. That's like saying that all fighting games are clunky.

It has a learning curve. You just chose to stay at the bottom of the curve... That doesn't make it clunky, that just makes you bad/lazy.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I played about half of it and thought it was pretty smooth and playable. Controls like Gears. I don't really do gears multi though.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
People saying something plays like a last gen game has got to be the most annoying thing to read recently. What does that even mean? Same with saying something is clunky when it's almost always user error.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is it clunky? Explain. Reason. Do ANYTHING other than add another low-effort post to the pool of low-effort posts.

There is nothing "clunky" about the movement system. That's like saying that all fighting games are clunky.

It has a learning curve. You just chose to stay at the bottom of the curve... That doesn't make it clunky, that just makes you bad/lazy.
I feel like because I think it's clunky means you think I think it's the worst game ever. It's not. It feels clunky in that it's not responsive. A lot of people agree... "it plays like Gears", "you just need to get used to it", "thats Gears", etc. seems to be pretty popular opinions in this thread. Why are you singling me out? Get over it.

Additionally, I'd rather be low effort with a straight to the point response, than high effort harassment. Please do ignore me and move along.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I think Gears is my favourite 3rd person shooter. Playing it makes everything seem like it weighs a tonne.

I like that the movement makes the characters feel like they have have a lot of heft (the look of the characters adds to this too). I enjoy the cover shooting mechanic more than games like Uncharted or The Division as Gears makes me run into the open a lot less and spend more time in cover and shooting from behind it.

Playing the games at a higher frame rate makes it feel a lot more responsive too (although that's expected).

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's Gears. Like it or not. I like it, it suits this type of game. I wouldn't call it clunky but it's not "light" either, and given you're controlling some heavily armored warriors it would feel weird if it controlled like, say, Sunset Overdrive.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

That guy isn't even trying. Don't entertain him anymore my man. You're absolutely correct in your assessment of the game.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Not even close IMO. Just like others have mentioned, it's probably not for you and it's ok not to like/enjoy how a game controls, but saying it controls like garbage?

To me Uncharted and Division are alright, but movement/controls in Gears are miles ahead in my opinion.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not even close IMO. Just like others have mentioned, it's probably not for you and it's ok not to like/enjoy how a game controls, but saying it controls like garbage?

To me Uncharted and Division are alright, but movement/controls in Gears are miles ahead in my opinion.

Agreed , Uncharted has floaty movement and not as snappy , while Division is just slow . OP has a weird definition of what controls best .

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You're a 7 foot wall of meat. Even Kait is ripped and carrying armour. These aren't Spartans. Game is the best it's ever been. The shooting is super rewarding. Great game.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
For someone who had never played a Gears game before V, i must that that yes, for me, the movements are heavy, clunky and imprecise. The matriarch fight was a nightmare because of it for me. Always getting stuck on the borders of the broken ice sheets when trying to get in her back. It's not unresponsive, it's just not "smooth" enough for me.

And it's not input lag or anything either. I was on PC at 100 fps in average on a 1ms response time screen. Definitely NOT the screen.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
How people describe Gears' movement, as it relates to their ability to play the game, has long been one of gaming's most reliable litmus tests.

It's just one of those things.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Gears 5 is probably the best implementation of the Gears combat system, which means that it's still going to have the weight, the heft, and the slow turning of all the previous games - with a bit more polish. I played it on PC at 60fps, which definitely helped.

Anyone who says this game feels snappy on console needs to be aware that both Xbox versions of Gears 5 seem to have 100+ms of input lag before the display is factored in. It feels ok in practice, but if you find Gears 5 responsive then you'll probably be fine with Google Stadia. And I don't mean that in a bad way; people say they're sensitive to input lag without realising that they're experiencing it.