• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I have played Gears 5 after not playing any since 1. I think it is great. It is not as agile as Uncharted but neither does it claim to be, it has more weight in everything.

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing it recently along with Destiny 2 and I think it's fine for what it is. I can get along alright, and I'm enjoying it overall.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Nice post. Doesn't mention controls anywhere....

What do you think real-time interactive animation means?

Gears 5 controls very unnaturally. It's a mixture of responsive movement that looks bad (sliding into cover and wall bouncing) and unresponsive movement that is really restrictive and feels unresponsive (turning, mantling, roadie running, rolling).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Naughty Dog (amongst others) have significantly pushed forward the state of the art when it comes to real-time interactive animation and Epic/TC have somehow managed to completely ignore all of that progress. It's not that Gears should feel like Uncharted - it's that Gears 5 should be pushing forward like all the other AAA third person games rather than circling the drain of the past.
Yet Uncharted as a series still hasn't managed to build any kind of competitive following 10 years after MP debuted in Uncharted 2. You would think such innovation would translate to a fanbase outside of it's story driven cinematic campaign mode.

Making pretty animation and making gameplay fun, addictive and rewarding are two different goals that ND and Epic/TC give different priority.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Yet Uncharted as a series still hasn't managed to build any kind of competitive following 10 years after MP debuted in Uncharted 2. You would think such innovation would translate to a fanbase outside of it's story driven cinematic campaign mode.

Making pretty animation and making gameplay fun, addictive and rewarding are two different goals that ND and Epic/TC give different priority.

Practically neither franchise makes much of a dent in terms of the competitive multiplayer zeitgeist. The main difference being that one franchise is actively trying to while the other is best-in-class at their focus (single player campaign).

As I said, Gears 5 does not need to control like Uncharted or The Last of Us or any other franchise specifically. That does not mean that it is reasonable for them to have failed to meaningfully push forward with the way their game animates and controls for over a decade.

As I pointed out before, Gears 5 is no longer even in the top twenty most played Xbox games. The way the game feels and controls is very likely part of the reason the game struggles to attract a new audience.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Practically neither franchise makes much of a dent in terms of the competitive multiplayer zeitgeist. The main difference being that one franchise is actively trying to while the other is best-in-class at their focus (single player campaign).

As I said, Gears 5 does not need to control like Uncharted or The Last of Us or any other franchise specifically. That does not mean that it is reasonable for them to have failed to meaningfully push forward with the way their game animates and controls for over a decade.

As I pointed out before, Gears 5 is no longer even in the top twenty most played Xbox games. The way the game feels and controls is very likely part of the reason the game struggles to attract a new audience.

I've played all the Uncharted games. To say that somehow the controls of that game have evolved greatly over the years is tripe. I could say that Drake's jump is way too floaty and imprecise, his running controls woolly and loose, the aiming has never been great, a ton of deaths in the Uncharted series are purely down to the controls.
Play the roof chase scene in Uncharted 3 where the controls are horribly exposed and get back to me.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm not talking about zeitgeist, I'm talking about forming a following around the most gameplay-centric mode, where the core combat design sinks or swims without being buoyed by cutscenes, set pieces and stunningly detailed environments and vistas. While you're already putting a nail in Gears 5'a coffin before post-release content and rebalancing has arrived, it will still likely end up with a dedicated multiplayer audience playing and supporting the game years from now, which will be rewarded by years of content drops for said player base.

To further make my point, look at Gears 4's 2.5 years of constant updates which ended with 30 maps and countless character and weapon skins. Compare that to Uncharted 4 which saw only 14 maps in total and post release DLC work obviously moved from versus updates to a single player only standalone expansion.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about zeitgeist, I'm talking about forming a following around the most gameplay-centric mode, where the core combat design sinks or swims without being buoyed by cutscenes, set pieces and stunningly detailed environments and vistas. While you're already putting a nail in Gears 5'a coffin before post-release content and rebalancing has arrived, it will still likely end up with a dedicated multiplayer audience playing and supporting the game years from now, which will be rewarded by years of content drops for said player base.

Pretty much any significant game will have at least a small dedicated community playing it for years. The Last of Us came out in 2013 and you can still find people playing and enjoying it. I can't help but feel like they should be aiming for more than that with Gears 5 though. While their process with Gears 4 and Gears 5 has been very effective at giving that small dedicated group what they want the most played charts indicate it's not capturing many more than that despite the extremely generous game pass deals getting the game into more hands than ever. This is the inevitable consequence of failing to push forward in my opinion, and while I know there are plenty here who love it, they are on the whole the group that never left.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
U r used to snappier controls when u mention things like COD . It's not garbage . It's just not for you .

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Destiny spoiled you? Well destiny has snails paced movement that maybe why ;)

what? you move much faster than gears.

thats one problem in crucible it's so easy to shotgun because it's so fast to close the gap

even when sprinting gears is much much slower. and the rest of the time it's insanely lumbering. barely snails crawl when walking

i'm og gears guy but the game drastically needs an overhaul. including the weapon system

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
"That's Gears" is some weird reasoning. Maybe they should improve in some ways. I wouldn't call them garbage myself, but they aren't stellar either.
Expecting the game to play like an FPS is also weird reasoning. Different style games control differently. People try to jump into Gears after playing whatever FPS is hot at the moment, get their ass whooped, and then complain about the controls.

Mar 29, 2018
I play Rocket League (Champ, so decently high level for someone who doesn't have running mates) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky. I'm fighting the controls here. "That's Gears" is not a valid excuse. That's crappy game design.
Did you play any of the older ones?

They have their own unique language of movement. I haven't played one since 3, mind.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Pretty much any significant game will have at least a small dedicated community playing it for years. The Last of Us came out in 2013 and you can still find people playing and enjoying it. I can't help but feel like they should be aiming for more than that with Gears 5 though. While their process with Gears 4 and Gears 5 has been very effective at giving that small dedicated group what they want the most played charts indicate it's not capturing many more than that despite the extremely generous game pass deals getting the game into more hands than ever. This is the inevitable consequence of failing to push forward in my opinion, and while I know there are plenty here who love it, they are on the whole the group that never left.
UC4 and TLOU have sold 4-5 times the amount of Gears 4, yet comparing where ND and Epic/TC put effort to keep fans playing, you can see quite a difference between what each fanbase wants and expects for post-release, which I believe is reflective of the quality of Gears' combat and movement.

As proven by the massive popularity of RDR 2 compared to the modest success of games like DMC 5 and FROMsoft titles, good action gameplay isn't necessary if you deliver on other fronts like story, animation and world detail. ND games have passable combat, but it's not what makes their games fly off the shelves.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
This reads like the ole "super Mario plays like garbage. It's too floaty blah blah "

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Plays like Gears, but has some jank in it. Feels a bit unpolished, at least at launch when I played it. Putting the chainsaw on the reload button is the worst though.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Its a shame OP get gud has been posted already.

Gears takes time to master, but when it clicks its a great and tight tps. My next go to multiplayer after halo.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately controls are the least of their problems. But yes, it does feel unpolished.

Oct 30, 2017
I highly recommend increasing look and aiming sensitivity. Base settings are way too slow. Might contribute to why you feel the controls are bad.

I absolutely love the movement in the game. Once you get sliding and slide cancelling down, it feels like Gears of Tetris.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
OP got his ass whooped, then came here and blamed it on the controls xd

Yes, you're not as agile as in say Uncharted. You can't run around the place cutting corners left and right, throwing yourself to cover and then immediately leaving it again into every direction imaginable while doing a backflip or whatever.
It follows certain rules that, yes, have largely been set more than a decade ago. But this makes it neither unresponsive nor sluggish. Now the melee combat in Uncharted, that's what I would call unresponsive. Holy shit; wait a million years for animation to end, press button again.

As someone who has played all Uncharteds except for 3, and all Gears of Wars, I can still firmly say that the latter has the superior gameplay. There is a certain rhythm and purpose to movement and gunplay in Gears that is lacking in Uncharted.

Overall, I would still rate the newer entries lower than say U4, but that's down to a load of other factors, neither of which is gameplay.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you're not as agile as in say Uncharted. You can't run around the place cutting corners left and right, throwing yourself to cover and then immediately leaving it again into every direction imaginable while doing a backflip or whatever.

Except that (ignoring the backflip... you can't do that in UC either for what it's worth) this is precisely the conceit of Gears' cover system. You can instantly slide/warp in and out of cover and even bounce between pieces of cover. Gears isn't about sensible tactical movement at all. It mainly revolves around what was an unintended glitch in Gears 1 that the community couldn't abide not being able to exploit.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Lol what? Controls are the reason why Gears MP is so hardcore and more movement based than any other TPS multiplayer out there.
The multiplayer would not have the status it has if it didn't control well.

The slide mechanic, as ridiculous as it looks is the snappiest shit in any TPS out there and allowing you to cancel the slide in any direction at any time gives you so much freedom of movement. That coupled up with the slide building and preserving momentum makes it so that the gameplay relies on movement.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, people now pretending one AAA third person shooter is more "hardcore" than the other AAA third person shooter, just because it's what you prefer.
You have to adapt a bit to controls with every new game. That's it. If you can't you either don't want to or you simply lack basic human skills.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Uncharted and Gears are doing completely different things, and Gears feels fantastic. I personally think RE2 Remake is the pinnacle of 3rd person shooting, but thats mostly down to the exceptional hit detection and crumple calculations on display when taking out zombies. It's overtaken RE4, greatest in the series.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play Rocket League (Champ, so decently high level for someone who doesn't have running mates) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky. I'm fighting the controls here. "That's Gears" is not a valid excuse. That's crappy game design.

Its ok, you are just bad at playing Shooters.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
what? you move much faster than gears.

thats one problem in crucible it's so easy to shotgun because it's so fast to close the gap

even when sprinting gears is much much slower. and the rest of the time it's insanely lumbering. barely snails crawl when walking

i'm og gears guy but the game drastically needs an overhaul. including the weapon system

There's no point in 1:1 run speed comparisons because the games are designed so differently, but Gears 5 plays fast.

The problem is crucible is that closing the gap with shotty is too easy, not that it happens too quickly. To do the same in Gears generally requires quick, skillful inputs to cover ground while simultaneously using the cover system make lateral movements to dodge incoming fire.

Yes, sprinting in Gears isn't as fast as in Destiny - but sprinting in Gears isn't the key to fast movement.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
If it really was a "horrible controlling game" the reviews would show that in the score. This is just a you problem, OP.

What is this? Care to explain the 98 MC that Red Dead Redemption 2 has? That game controls like a stepped on turd. Can't comment on Gears because I've never played it, but this argument can be proven wrong with countless examples.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Except that (ignoring the backflip... you can't do that in UC either for what it's worth) this is precisely the conceit of Gears' cover system. You can instantly slide/warp in and out of cover and even bounce between pieces of cover. Gears isn't about sensible tactical movement at all. It mainly revolves around what was an unintended glitch in Gears 1 that the community couldn't abide not being able to exploit.

What constitutes as "sensible tactical movement" then? Wallbouncing is just one part of your repertoire, to mitigate getting hit while ideally getting yourself into a better position for a shot. But that's not all you do? Just because it exists, doesn't mean the decisions of when to round cover, fire over it, drop it, or whether to even take it at all just disappear. And they make up for the bulk of the gameplay.

Idk how you can play these games and claim they're not about tactical movement just because there's an interruptable sliding mechanic lol

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Every other TPS controls worse than Gears because they don't have wall bouncing.

You can tell. Just stand far away from cover and roll/cover until you slide into it. There, you figured out the distance. You should record some gameplay.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
You can tell. Just stand far away from cover and roll/cover until you slide into it. There, you figured out the distance. You should record some gameplay.

It's so weird that people are asking for a clip as if the OP being inexperienced/bad at the game disproves everything they're saying. Given that the game has gone from #1 on the Most Played charts to #21 in little over a month you'd think it would be worth examining if something isn't quite right.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"The series has always been bad so it's okay for the new one to also be bad" is not a valid excuse.

That said I have a hard time believing Gears 5 has bad controls even though I haven't played it....

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
"The series has always been bad so it's okay for the new one to also be bad" is not a valid excuse.

That said I have a hard time believing Gears 5 has bad controls even though I haven't played it....
They aren't bad, just a bit clunky. Its basically identical to previous Gears games.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Gears is by the numbers stop and pop shooting and its gameplay is extremely banal. I don't think it is bad but it is aggressively medicore