• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slyfox

Oct 28, 2017
So you compared Gears 2 to Gears 5 and noticed no improvements? LOL. Looks like the issue is you. Gears 5 is smooth. Go watch gears players play and learn instead of shitting on it with no basis. Uncharted has good movement and mechanics but Gears 1v1s and its pvp is on a class of its own in terms of TPS.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
"Gears 5 is a clunky mess you should go play Uncharted" is such a weird take

Like, there's nothing wrong with Uncharted at all but I don't think I've met a person who has ever said "yea but it controls so much better" who have played both franchises

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
"Gears 5 is a clunky mess you should go play Uncharted" is such a weird take

Like, there's nothing wrong with Uncharted at all but I don't think I've met a person who has ever said "yea but it controls so much better" who have played both franchises
I feel like they are doing different things, but I vastly prefer UC4 to Gears 5. The movement is so much more fluid and it doesn't feel as limited and sticky as Gears. But I don't doubt that The Coalition could create something as smooth and responsive as UC4. It's just not what they were going for and it's not what gears is.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I feel like they are doing different things, but I vastly prefer UC4 to Gears 5. The movement is so much more fluid and it doesn't feel as limited and sticky as Gears. But I don't doubt that The Coalition could create something as smooth and responsive as UC4. It's just not what they were going for and it's not what gears is.

Yeah, they are both going for different things, personally i always thought that the uc games felt a bit flimsy and floaty but both are competent shooters in pretty different ways.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's not terrible by any means, but if you're not a fan of "tank controls," then you're never going to like how Gears plays on a fundamental level.

But there are actually two ways to play Gears: one is the traditional "stop and pop" way that the game was originally designed for—run to cover, kill some dudes, run to the next cover point. His is how campaign and horde typically play. The other, more fluid method is how most people play in multiplayer, rush/wall-bouncing. The problem with this style is that it isn't immediately apparent and the game doesn't even teach you about it. You only find out by playing multiplayer (where you usually end up getting destroyed by tryhards). And it takes a bit of practice to even be able to move like that.

Sounds like you're wanting more fluid movement from Gears. And it's there, but you're going to have to practice for it.

I believe most 3rd person shooters have moved on from that tank style of control. And I'm okay with that. It keeps Gears both unique and familiar. Honestly I'd be more annoyed if they drastically changed the movement since I and many other competitive players have become so used to it.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huge disagree. Gears controls like a dream. It set the standard for third person shooters.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The restricted blockiness in movement is what makes it so great imo. Makes moving from cover to cover tight instead of flimsy. Compare it to playing a sidescrolling shmup or fighter with pixel perfect digital controls vs fluid smooth analog controls. Doesn't look like a movie but plays great.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Keep reading on here about Gears movement is not fluid, really?

It's movement, transition into/from cover to cover and weapon handling is unmatched.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
What you're complaining about is obviously by design and intentional, within the context of what Gears is and what most fans want it to be. I'd say moving well in Gears is more involved and less intuitive than in some other games (and has a more "gamey" and less naturalistic quality), but I would disagree that that's inherently a bad thing. On the contrary, I find it part of the appeal, and based on this thread, that's a common sentiment.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure what you mean by this. That you can't sprint? It's because the camera is locked behind the shoulder. You can't move the character independent of it. It's a different style.
Camera locked behind the shoulder could allow you to sprint sideways (at least "45º") and not only straight. Not only that, you also can't crouch, go prone. Much less freedom.

Last edited:

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
The restricted blockiness in movement is what makes it so great imo. Makes moving from cover to cover tight instead of flimsy. Compare it to playing a sidescrolling shmup or fighter with pixel perfect digital controls vs fluid smooth analog controls. Doesn't look like a movie but plays great.
Gears 5 controls great and is very responsive. Some of the OPs issues sound like they could be related to the limitations of their character's movement.
Yeah, they are both going for different things, personally i always thought that the uc games felt a bit flimsy and floaty but both are competent shooters in pretty different ways.
I'm specifically talking about UC4 and Lost Legacy. I don't think 1 was great as a shooter. I thought 2&3 were big steps up (apart from 3 having that terrible bug at launch), but the series didn't reach greatness until UC4.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
I played through the game and it controls just fine. If you don't like these controls I doubt you would like any of the Gears games since they all play the same.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
It's spot on in terms of controls. They done an excellent job in making it feel like a Gears game.

The campaign has some really annoying encounters which dragged the game down in my opinion. It's not a bad game, just doesn't get anywhere the original trilogy.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Camera locked behind the shoulder could allow you to sprint sideways (at least "45º") and not only straight. Not only that, you also can't crouch, go prone. Much less freedom.
Sure, but that is all by design. Plenty of games don't allow you to go prone.

Maybe because its finally on PC in a big way or something but the game fundamentally does not play any different than it did in 2006 so its weird to call out a game for bad controls when good, fluid controls is one of the positives most people call out. Not every game needs to play like a cookie cutter experience. It's ok to break from traditions for gameplay.

By the way, the locked camera makes the gameplay a lot better in PvP. If you need proof just look at The Division PvP. It looks clunky as all hell.

By your account you probably think Bulletstorm played bad.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but that is all by design. Plenty of games don't allow you to go prone.

Maybe because its finally on PC in a big way or something but the game fundamentally does not play any different than it did in 2006 so its weird to call out a game for bad controls when good, fluid controls is one of the positives most people call out. Not every game needs to play like a cookie cutter experience. It's ok to break from traditions for gameplay.

By the way, the locked camera makes the gameplay a lot better in PvP. If you need proof just look at The Division PvP. It looks clunky as all hell.

By your account you probably think Bulletstorm played bad.

That why this design is far from being a good enough standard (unless you like more having less freedom of movements). And it's the 3rd Gears on PC. And I don't remember Bulletstorm "problems" as I played very little and I long time ago.

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That why this design is far from being a good enough standard. And it's the 3rd Gears on PC. And I don't remember Bulletstorm "problems" as I played very little and I long time ago.

But you are implying that if a game doesn't allow you to jump, go prone, crouch, do x y and z with complete freedom then its bad.

Halo doesn't allow you to prone. Assassins Creed controls are almost entirely context based and it won't let you prone. Overwatch won't let you sprint with 99% of the characters. Can't prone there either. Are any of these games worse off for it? Some games just aren't meant to have super mobility. Some games are meant to feel more grounded. Many do it for balance.

As far as Bulletstorm goes, it was basically a super linear roller coaster. Your character could not jump. Only vault over obstacles. If there was a jump it was context sensitive. You were pretty much tied to the ground but you were quick and sliding made you go faster. It was a FUN as hell and brilliant game but your character had very little movement freedom.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But you are implying that if a game doesn't allow you to jump, go prone, crouch, do x y and z with complete freedom then its bad.

Halo doesn't allow you to prone. Assassins Creed controls are almost entirely context based and it won't let you prone. Overwatch won't let you sprint with 99% of the characters. Can't prone there either. Are any of these games worse off for it? Some games just aren't meant to have super mobility. Some games are meant to feel more grounded. Many do it for balance.

As far as Bulletstorm goes, it was basically a super linear roller coaster. Your character could not jump. Only vault over obstacles. If there was a jump it was context sensitive. You were pretty much tied to the ground but you were quick and sliding made you go faster. It was a FUN as hell and brilliant game but your character had very little movement freedom.

I never said anything about being bad. None of your examples are bad gameplay. They just are far from being the best out there.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

If you hold the camera any direction then press+hold the run button, your character does an immediate about-face and sprints in that direction. You can do a simple 180-degree turn into a full sprint this way. Once sprinting, your turn radius is slightly less than a jog, and similarly even less than a normal walk, but you can still make turns while sprinting.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is it me who's wrong? No it's the hundreds of thousands of players and critics who have been praising this franchise for almost 16 years.

Gears is by the numbers stop and pop shooting and its gameplay is extremely banal. I don't think it is bad but it is aggressively medicore
IF you're playing it as a stop and pop shooter you're playing it wrong and just making it needlessly boring for yourself. This reminds me of people who just play DMC by button mashing or play Vanquish without exploiting its mechanics and then complain that it's too simple.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
To each their own but I
I wish the division had gameplay even close to gears lol
To each their own but the division 2 was a magnificent surprise for me this year. Awesome, plentiful loot. Great open world with memorial set pieces all over DC. The gameplay was smooth and seem less. The shooting felt good. Good verity of enemies and enemy types. Ya, I liked much more than gears . Gears feels dated to me in 2019 and for the life of me the graphics never seemed to pop like it did for everyone else. Prob my shit TCL 55c803 tele, but still.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't control how I expect it to control, therefore garbage.

These thread titles, man...we should have some rules on how hyperbolic/inflammatory we're allowed to be.

Jun 10, 2018
The couple of gripes I have with the game is the Gnasher shot delay (which I found super annoying since Gears 4) and getting stuck on cover and not being able to get off of it. Which has been an issue since Gears 1. I hate not being able to shoot the Gnasher after almost any action.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you hold the camera any direction then press+hold the run button, your character does an immediate about-face and sprints in that direction. You can do a simple 180-degree turn into a full sprint this way. Once sprinting, your turn radius is slightly less than a jog, and similarly even less than a normal walk, but you can still make turns while sprinting.
Yes but you make turns like a bus.

Last edited:

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
the wording is a bit harsh, but i agree.
i really like 3rd person (cover) shooter but never liked how gears controls.
tried most of the gears games and always quit after a few hours .

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
Gears of War movement feels like it has a lot of weight to it, I don't find it clunky, but it needs more practice to master, comparing it to Uncharted seems odd, as much as I love the uncharted franchise, I always thought the movement feels a bit floaty. comparing the movement to something like the Last of Us seems more appropriate.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It controls like a Gears game, I'm not a fan personally, but I knew what to expect. I've always disliked the pinging and sliding cover to cover, and the silly crouch running.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
IF you're playing it as a stop and pop shooter you're playing it wrong and just making it needlessly boring for yourself. This reminds me of people who just play DMC by button mashing or play Vanquish without exploiting its mechanics and then complain that it's too simple.

That's not entirely true. Again, if you don't play the competitive modes, then the game absolutely pushes you toward playing it as a "stop and pop" kind of play style. This becomes even more true once you start playing on higher difficulties lest you get insta-gibbed by eagle-eye enemies.

Now if you're playing competitive multiplayer, then you're definitely at a disadvantage if you choose to play that way (depending on the game type). In many of the modes, if you're not constantly moving, then you're going to have a bad time. But the thing is that the game doesn't really show you what and how you should be doing that. You're left to figure that out by getting destroyed. This is part of the reason Gear's multiplayer community has become more niche and hardcore over the years. There's basically a whole second set of movement options the games doesn't tell you about. And not knowing them puts you at a huge disadvantage.

It's kind of like Smash Melee where there's basically a different game under the hood once you start playing competitively and the only way to know about it is... to play competitively.

But even with all that said, if someone doesn't like the way Gears controls on a fundamental level, knowing movement options like wall-bouncing isn't going to really change that. Not to mention those extra movement options aren't going to really make a difference outside of one or two game modes.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I only played a little and it seemed ok to me. I am really bad at these shooter games using a controller though, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Gears is by the numbers stop and pop shooting and its gameplay is extremely banal. I don't think it is bad but it is aggressively medicore

No it isn't... I mean you can play it that way, but the banality would be your own fault.

Nothing on the market plays like Gears

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I didn't realize Gears movement was so controversial. IMO its at the top and not even close for TPS fluidity and controls.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dated controls? Lmao. Do you have to use the face buttons to control the camera or something? This place sometimes. Jesus!

Dual analog controllers have been around for more than 20 years.

Gears is the best at what it does and people like it this way, hence its success even today

Sales have dropped precipitously and even the best selling entry is dwarfed by sales for TLOU and Uncharted 4.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Dual analog controllers have been around for more than 20 years.

Sales have dropped precipitously and even the best selling entry is dwarfed by sales for TLOU and Uncharted 4.
So.....
We are comparing gears to TLOU and uncharted now? they play nothing like Gears and Gears was on gamepass day one so yeah sales will be down. Put TLOU 2 on ps now day one and see how that goes

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.....
We are comparing gears to TLOU and uncharted now? they play nothing like Gears and Gears was on gamepass day one so yeah sales will be down. Put TLOU 2 on ps now day one and see how that goes

I quoted you replying to someone who was talking about Uncharted and TLOU. You were citing the sales success of Gears as proof it doesn't need to change. That is directly contradicted by both the sales trajectory of Gears itself, irrespective of GP, and the much greater sales success of UC and TLOU.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I quoted you replying to someone who was talking about Uncharted and TLOU. You were citing the sales success of Gears as proof it doesn't need to change. That is directly contradicted by both the sales trajectory of Gears itself, irrespective of GP, and the much greater sales success of UC and TLOU.
So changing gears controls will drive sales? lmao
The franchise can definitely improve on some aspect. But controls are not the issue. OP sucks at the game and that's fine but that doesn't make it a crappy game.
By the way dark souls uses the same input when you have to roll, run and jump and people are fine with it

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So changing gears controls will drive sales?

More than not improving and evolving the controls and gameplay? Absolutely!

By the way dark souls uses the same input when you have to roll, run and jump and people are fine with it

And Dark Souls added all new weapon skill magic system in III. Oh, and people love Bloodborne and Sekiro for the ways they sped up, improved and iterated on the original Souls system. Lots of people don't like going back to Dark Souls because they've gotten used to the fluid mobility offered in the later games.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
And Dark Souls added all new weapon skill magic system in III. Oh, and people love Bloodborne and Sekiro for the ways they sped up, improved and iterated on the original Souls system. Lots of people don't like going back to Dark Souls because they've gotten used to the fluid mobility offered in the later games.
Yeah but the controls in Dark souls were never an issue. Same with gears, other aspects might need improvement but not the controls. By the way Bloodborne controls exactly like darks souls. The speed was increased and the gameplay changed but the controls are exactly the same

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Yeah but the controls in Dark souls were never an issue. Same with gears, other aspects might need improvement but not the controls. By the way Bloodborne controls exactly like darks souls. The speed was increased and the gameplay changed but the controls are exactly the same
Yep. And the same is true for Gears. Saying 5 is the same game as Gears 1 is about as ignorant as saying Bloodborne is the same as Demon's Souls.