• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Got booted out of a Horde mode at round 48 and didnt get credit for beating it when i came back.....sigh

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just jumped into Horde for the first time and wow its awesome.
Had a blast playing horde yesterday. I think this might be the first MP game this game I will actually play actively. And my second playthrough of the SP is also so good again. This might be the best Gears yet, I would have never imagined that.

What's the opinion on people playing without weapon recoil anyways? Because I actually love playing like that. Do people consider it cheating? (I haven't tried Versus yet, does this also work there?)
I'm curious, have either of you played Horde in a previous Gears release, or is this your first one?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I could have sworn someone said the main menu screen changes depending on what chapter you are on, but I've had the crappy snow scene on my screen almost the whole time.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gods damn it still trying to beat the final encounter of ACTII and failing horribly lol.

I've got so close so many times.
Once you get into like the near final phase where the Matriarch just keeps jumping at you its over for me I can get her down pretty reliably up to that point by abusing perfect reload longshots but holy cow that final phase is a pain in the ass and del and jack seem useless in that fight.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Loving the part with the skiff and the part before that as well. A change of pace is actually damn welcome in a game like this. This is what some reviewers didn't enjoy at all, right? I assume they mean the skiff with big open areas.

What's the point of being able to stow weapons on it though? I mean, I'm carrying them with me while I'm on the skiff. :)

Last edited:

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Gods damn it still trying to beat the final encounter of ACTII and failing horribly lol.

Once you get into like the near final phase where the Matriarch just keeps jumping at you its over for me I can get her down pretty reliably up to that point by abusing perfect reload longshots but holy cow that final phase is a pain in the ass and del and jack seem useless in that fight.
So you have jacks final stun ability? He can freeze her.

Oct 26, 2017

Run to either end of the top of the y hallway. Ignore the starting area. This ensures the matriarch multi shot will never touch you.

And run back and for between the tops, rinse repeat

HelloMeow

Oct 25, 2017
Jikes, there are so many different menus, loading screens and count down timers before you actually get to play a round.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Just heading in to Act 4. I'm not a big Gears fan and the last one was poor but this one has been surprisingly good and I've liked some of the changes to freshen it up a little. It's a little buggy in places and I had to restart a checkpoint on the last boss as it didn't want to progress. Graphically it's nice and a technical achievement but it hasn't blown me away in any scene. I've enjoyed the open world hub and exploring to find upgrades and the skiff is decent fun. The robot is also cool and adds an extra layer to the gameplay. Overall so far it's my fave Gears game in a long time that doesn't feel too dated and old with the new features.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am a longtime Horde fanatic, all the way back to when it was introduced in Gears 2. I have to say, I am BUMMED over what they've done to Horde in Gears 5. All they had to do was find a middle ground between Gears 3 and Gears 4 and instead, they doubled down on everything that 4 got wrong.

Classes are locked to characters
Nobody wanted this but The Coalition. I get it, you're trying to make the Gears cast into Overwatch heroes. The problem here is that it comes at the cost of giving the players freedom to play their own game. This was a freedom we had in Gears 3 and less so in Gears 4, and now our option to pick a character and play OUR game is totally gone. Want to play as Del? You're going to be the Engineer no matter what! Sorry!

I wouldn't mind the effort to give the characters some unique traits if they just limited it to Ultimate abilities or at least kept the skill cards but did not also lock characters to specific fabricator-related abilities. I much preferred the organic development of classes in Gears 3 where players would basically be a class based on the weapons they would use. Good teams would have a Longshot user, a Boomshot user, somebody with a Lancer, etc. Not only did it keep the team prepared for any of the challenge popups (kill 7 via headshot, etc) but it also allowed for anyone to step into one of those roles should somebody drop out. Replacing your sniper was as simple as having somebody else pick up the gun. Granted you can do that still in Gears 5, but why would you if you aren't the proper class? The game actively discourages players from doing anything outside of their specifically tuned set of skills.

Most Players Can't Use The Fabricator
In Gears 3, anyone could buy or repair ANY fortification. Why isn't this the case anymore? Playing as Marcus last night, I was only able to buy barricades or dummies. No sentries, no weapon lockers, and I couldn't even repair/reload items already out in the field. WHY IS THIS?? In Gears 4 there were definitely some discounts for the Engineer to consider when setting up a team, but in general everyone could do everything so if you lost your Engineer it might cost more to do things, but it wouldn't lock you out from accessing most of the fabricator. This new setup in Gears 5 SUCKS. It also makes solo Horde play (yes, that's a thing!) demand that you play as the Engineer. Have fun playing as Del forever!

Perks Now Impede Teamwork

Rather than having everyone pool resources at the fabricator, everyone now hangs onto their energy so they can just max out their character as much as possible. Remember in Gears 4 how you'd often have that one player who would just neglect to deposit energy? Now everyone does that! Plus as an added impediment to progress, your Engineer can be selfishly spending energy on their perks while you're begging them to buy some of the fortifications that only they can access.

Player Dropout Is An Epidemic
I watched Gears 4 struggle with players dropping out constantly. It was RARE to get a matchmade game that saw people stay beyond wave 20 much less all the way to 50. Horde Lite was an attempt to fix that, but now there is no such option for those wanting the Horde experience without such a time commitment being necessary.

The other issue is that players now leave when they pick a character but then load into the game to find that somebody else got that character and they were moved to another character altogether. It might even be a character they have no time invested into (more likely with the game's release being so recent).

These are just some of my complaints so far. Less important callouts, but I will also say I hate the leach enemies. Enemies that run at you and explode are hard to get right in terms of being fun to encounter and these just annoy the hell out of me. I also hate the Vasgar map (I think I spelled that right?). For a game that opens its campaign with a statement about how vibrant and colorful it can be, this is such an ugly map. the layout is fine, but good lord is it ugly. We ever going to get another map like Azure?

Anyway, I'm super disappointed in the new Horde. I don't see myself sticking with this for months/years the way I did with 3 and to a lesser extent, 4. Its especially frustrating since the Gears community put together a Horde bible during 4's development that made it so goddamn clear what longtime fans wanted. There was a lot of concern that Horde would be too much like Overrun from Judgment and while it definitely was not that in 4, it feels like 5 definitely took steps in that direction. Total bummer.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Finished the story.
If that's a cliffhanger, my ass is blue. It's simply a 'to be continued'. Enjoyed it a lot, previous comments stand. Revelatory? No. Satisfying, enjoyable, a jolt the series needed? 100%

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I feel like 'shotgun fest' and 'grey and browns' are just tropes when talking about Gears now. They don't necessarily have a bearing on how much of the game actually is, nor how previous Gears games have been (thinking 3 and Azura, for instance).

The Guardian review for Gears 5 is a case in point: it says Gears is grey-brown, and 1-3 were 'super serious'. It has never been entirely either of those things, ever. So often people talk about common perceptions, not what the damn object actually is.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm getting rather annoyed with this boss. The spine throwing is just unavoidable afaict, which really makes me feel like it's blind luck whether I've got stim available, rather than skill in avoiding.
You can use flash to force a freeze (and I think I stim blocked once). I avoided the spines by hiding behind the ice (it hits the pillar and the pillar breaks). The problem is when it's too dense, and you get stuck on one pillar and get caught in the open, instead of behind cover. But also, I got better at seeing when the attacks were coming (the spines grow on the back). I also took a more aggressive strategy, staying around the ice lake as much as possible, unless I absolutely had to avoid a spine.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Beat the story with 82% completion on collectibles/Jack upgrades in 13 hours. Had a blast with it. Found the open world stuff as a good first step (everything was close together, it was nice to have little bite-sized missions to show the salvage stuff, expand on non-COG factions etc., without having to shoehorn it into the larger story missions), but thought the story beats really fell flat after Act 2. Was exteremely disappointed with the ending.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A nitpick but,

Engineers can't buy perks.
But yah I agree that the current system is too reliant on the Engineer not leaving, and too reliant on them in general.
Ah, I didn't realize that. Now I'm even more confused as to what the hell the Engineers have been doing in my games then. If they're not buying fortifications and they can't buy perks, what have they been buying? LOL.

I guess my experience serves your point though.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Goddamn it, I hate it when games do this. This was right after the warden. Two directions I can go into, one a door and the other a door you have to lift and once you go inside, checkpoint, can't return. No idea which would be the room with extras in it, I end up in the room with a checkpoint right after it.

Just show me that main direction icon all the time please.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Goddamn it, I hate it when games do this. This was right after the warden. Two directions I can go into, one a door and the other a door you have to lift and once you go inside, checkpoint, can't return. No idea which would be the room with extras in it, I end up in the room with a checkpoint right after it.

Just show me that main direction icon all the time please.

I know the exact place you're talking about. A hint: if it's a door you need to lift, you definitely won't be able to return. Those you open by kicking should be safe.

By the way, there's a "load previous checkpoint" option in the menu, although with all the bugs, who knows if it works.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Quick question: For hopping in to get missed collectibles and Jack components on a completed save file, once you nab 'em can you just quit to menu? Or do you have to get to a checkpoint or (hope not) complete the chapter?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I know the exact place you're talking about. A hint: if it's a door you need to lift, you definitely won't be able to return. Those you open by kicking should be safe.

By the way, there's a "load previous checkpoint" option in the menu, although with all the bugs, who knows if it works.

Yeah but I gotta fight the warden again, now that he's insanely challenging but on experienced he's no pushover.

As for bugs, wtf, i am so glad I haven't seen any bugs yet. To be honest for a exclusive I expect lots of polish, especially this dev.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, I didn't realize that. Now I'm even more confused as to what the hell the Engineers have been doing in my games then. If they're not buying fortifications and they can't buy perks, what have they been buying? LOL.

I guess my experience serves your point though.

randoms have always been idiots

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yeah but I gotta fight the warden again, now that he's insanely challenging but on experienced he's no pushover.

I replayed that chapter on Experienced last night. I used Shock Trap to slow him down, and aimed for the head - he went down in seconds. That said, I brought a Tri-Shot with me :)

As for bugs, wtf, i am so glad I haven't seen any bugs yet. To be honest for a exclusive I expect lots of polish, especially this dev.

All I can say is good luck!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I replayed that chapter on Experienced last night. I used Shock Trap to slow him down, and aimed for the head - he went down in seconds. That said, I brought a Tri-Shot with me :)

All I can say is good luck!

Well shit, that doesn't fill me with confidence. Gotta wonder wtf went wrong. Gears 4 was polished as hell, I don't remember anything bad. Let's hope 5 stays that way for me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
What's the opinion on people playing without weapon recoil anyways? Because I actually love playing like that. Do people consider it cheating? (I haven't tried Versus yet, does this also work there?)
it felt like cheating when I realized that if you get hit when aiming with a Lonshot, it doesn't affect your aim (make the camera shake and you kinda lose sight of your target), but I still left it on, lol. I'd probably not turn it off on easier difficulties, but I've only played through the campaign (twice now) on experienced.

There is, but I'm fairly certain the description states its only for campaign/PVE. I could be wrong though.
No, you're right. I just double checked and there were two options that were labeled exactly that. I think shake stays in PvP, which I feel is the right move.

Luxuria

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Miami, FL
Alright, turns out I couldn't install the game due to me not having updated Windows in months.

With that said, has anyone been able to get the Switch Pro controller working on this game?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Well shit, that doesn't fill me with confidence. Gotta wonder wtf went wrong. Gears 4 was polished as hell, I don't remember anything bad. Let's hope 5 stays that way for me.

Just a warning: in the third act you can do main missions out of order, and it can get you stuck with no way to progress apart from replaying the chapter (it doesn't have to, it didn't happen to me, and I also did them out of order). Not to spoil anything, if a location is not marked as your current objective or recognized as a side-mission, it's better to leave it for later. The location in question has a big human statue in front of a large building.

the problem is the cloud saves.

i guess they didnt expect so many people playing.

I found quite a few bugs that don't seem to be related to that.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've accidentally quit to desktop so many times by choosing "Quit Game" from a menu without thinking.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
Is it just me or does any one else constantly adjusting the hdr and tv settings trying to find something that looks good??
I'm constantly messing with the settings in each new area reached.
I can never get gears to look amazing and it's distracting from actually enjoying this amazing game.
Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Rather than having everyone pool resources at the fabricator, everyone now hangs onto their energy so they can just max out their character as much as possible. Remember in Gears 4 how you'd often have that one player who would just neglect to deposit energy? Now everyone does that!
This has been my biggest problem playing Horde so far. People just keep all their power and use it buy perks, so you can't effectively build any defenses, even if you have a Del in your game. I basically know in a round or two if the game is even worth playing, since most people don't even bother to put up any barriers or turrets.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was just watching the Gears 5 Quick Look and apparently there is a Jinn Debee character for Multiplayer? How the hell do you get her?