• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SonofDonCD

Oct 26, 2017
Is there no way to kick a player from your party? I am playing Horde, was at about wave 37, and a random player, as Jack (even though I'm already playing as Jack) jumps into my game. This person proceeds to grab all of the fortifications, place them in different corners of the map, unusable, then places himself in another corner of the map and stays idle, so if people die, the match doesn't end, but still continues so long as they stay alive.

Quite naturally, everyone else in the party got mad and quit. I tried everything I could to see if I could kick them out, or at least report them (which I still want to do), but I couldn't. I didn't want this person to win, so I also didn't quit (since I was the host). Eventually they left the party themselves, and though it took a few rounds of losing, eventually found other party members to join. I'm still playing the game now, at wave 44.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I liked the campaign - until we got to the Matriarch. What a bullshit bossfight. The number of one shots and arbitrary jumps on one of us (for example on me while I was in vision mode) was really shitty. We dropped the difficulty down in the end, but that fight was not well designed. At all.
It's super easy. Shoot the ice and use Jack's freeze.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
i just finished the whole open snowy area in Act 2 after falling into Chapter 5 for that Act. Is that the only "faux open world" area in the game? I wasn't huge on it because all the points worth going to were so obviously telegraphed and there was basically nothing else to find.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Campaign is so buggy. I've had to restart checkpoint three times so far and I'm only halfway through Act 2. One time a character action didn't register, another time Del got stuck in the floor and another time I killed the flock but it didn't register. Super annoying.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Beat the campaign. Had a major thing spoiled, thanks YouTube. Overall probably my 3rd favorite Gears title. Like 4, the ending felt abrupt. I thought there was 1 more act to go. Excited for Gears 6 whenever that is. Now to co op the game with a buddy and spend more time with the mp. I didn't have any of the bugs others have mentioned. Only once the sound went out for a few seconds.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
What the fuck is with the matchmaking? Seems like 80% of the arcade matches I play can't find a fifth human and inserts a bot. MP for this game should be flooded right now, so I can't fathom why this keeps happening this frequently. So damn frustrating, because you can pretty much assume a loss every time it happens.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What the fuck is with the matchmaking? Seems like 80% of the arcade matches I play can't find a fifth human and inserts a bot. MP for this game should be flooded right now, so I can't fathom why this keeps happening this frequently. So damn frustrating, because you can pretty much assume a loss every time it happens.

Agreed. I'd rather just play 4v5.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Got this on Game Pass Ultimate($61 for the year) and I'm impressed. I never liked Gears and vastly preferred Halo. So far this game is pretty charming. I'm playing on PC with a 6600K and a 1070. I maxed the graphics out at 1080p and I'm getting 60fps. This is definitely a step in the right direction for MS.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I'm in act 3 I believe? Some how so my progress got reset. Have to redo the whole act, and my jack upgrades were respec. Sigh

I probably have to find all the components again too. Like, on the open world map, even home base is missing.

Even though the game loaded me into the middle of another quest, the secondary quests reset.

Last edited:

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Got the ranks in Tour of Duty for Desert Armor Fhaz, Exclamation mark on the reward even, and no skin shows up in the customization panel.
I AM CRY.
What gives?

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Finished the campaign and ultimatley i enjoyed gears 4's campaign much more. Dont get me wrong, the story was pretty good and there was some great writing and comedic charm the "shut the fuck up fahz" from marcus being a highlight, shockingly good comedic timing from john dimmagio. This is also one of the best looking games ive ever seen. It was a real treat to see on my oled and it real pushed my xbox one x to its limits, its the first time ive ever heard the fans spinning on that thing. There were some smart changes to the gameplay as well, shooting felt as solid as ever but the grenades felt decidedly nerfed, against enemies of course, they always killed me immediatley playing on experienced. But the pacing was really bad, i felt that the open areas just slowed down the game to a crawl and killed the sense of urgency that was driving me through the story. I much prefered 4's mission structure and i think i like 4's atmosphere a little more too. 4 felt more like a return to gears's horror roots which i sort of prefer to the bigger bombsst of 2, 3, and 5. Overall i liked it though, there were some great set pieces and i hope that they keep up this pace with 6, but maybe go back to traditional mission based structure rather than maintaining the open hubs, it did absolutely nothing for me.
I have yet to finish the campaign but so far I much prefer Gears 4 as well.

I was starting to feel like I was crazy being the only one. I gotta say I wasn't sold on the hype here and it's thoroughly disappointing compared to past games. The skiff stuff is not my cup of tea.

Dick Whitman

Oct 30, 2017
What is wrong with this trash game? I cleared all the towers in Act 2, completed the mine sequence, and unlocked the invisibility perk, but when I was ent to load up the game tonight none of it appears to have ever saved. Will I be able to get my progress back? Are the developers going to patch this?

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Gears 2 was definitely leading in different directions from what we got in Gears 3. The Sires/Niles story was clearly meant to go somewhere, but they dropped it in favor of going all in on the Locust civil war and Lambency. I don't think they were really interested it focusing on the shady COG science anymore, and just wanted to jump to full post-apocalypse. Which, to their credit, was a smart choice at the time.

The franchise's overall lore has changed pretty significantly from title to title too though, with the story of the Locusts being changed massively over time, particularly after Gears 3. All the retcons since the original Nike's story arc make it more relevant, even if the overall direction of the franchise then and now is basically incompatible.

So do you see this current line of games as a trilogy or ongoing? Assuming that they wrap everything up in Gears 6, wouldn't that shortchange the Swarm as threats in the overall lore of the series? By comparison, it would almost make these games into an epilogue.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't. As the game is new, it also has its own pacing compared to Gears 4, rating system is now likely extremely off, which ends up with players trapped in wrong rankings because they're playing people with wrong rankings.

Ranking system has a certain expectation from every player in terms of kills. If you overperform, you get more points. If you got 600, and your friend got 200, that means game expected less kills from you.

Gears 4 ranking explained - everything about skill rating - SR, should also apply to Gears 5
The issue is skill systems that take performance into account like this never really work well.

Halo Reach tried the same thing but more drastic and it sucked. The people who complain about solo queuing or bad teammates dragging them down are a vocal minority at best. Everyone else wants to play with their mates and rank up through wins alone.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Jack is low key MVP when you're playing on Insane. Getting him to ferry weapons to you is useful as hell since you die within seconds out of cover. I don't think I used that ability at all for my Experienced run. If only the cool downs weren't so long.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah the bots completely ruin both arcade playlists. I don't really understand what TC are thinking on that front. Better have no bots than these ones that are just fodder.

Really surprised at how many people are gushing over the MP. Bots, maps (quality and quantity) and ranking/matchmaking are all extremely lacking. Gotta think there is an element of honeymoon here.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the campaign - until we got to the Matriarch. What a bullshit bossfight. The number of one shots and arbitrary jumps on one of us (for example on me while I was in vision mode) was really shitty. We dropped the difficulty down in the end, but that fight was not well designed. At all.
She's pretty easy even on insane. She can't jump on the ice, and her spears get intercepted by the ice columns. you can also always freeze her with Jack too, and grenade sticks take away 1/5th of her health each time she's frozen.

Final boss is similar in that there are dumb simple ways to beat them.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's really sad to start as a full Horde and then slowly see people dropping and bots being added. The. Orr that happens, the less I want to carry on the waves.

Nov 4, 2018
It's really sad to start as a full Horde and then slowly see people dropping and bots being added. The. Orr that happens, the less I want to carry on the waves.
It's honestly better to play Horde through hosting custom matches. People can drop in and out, and until they patch the atrocious wait times between rounds with the scoreboard popping up after each wave, you can start at wave 11 when things actually start to get interesting.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly better to play Horde through hosting custom matches. People can drop in and out, and until they patch the atrocious wait times between rounds with the scoreboard popping up after each wave, you can start at wave 11 when things actually start to get interesting.
Does custom horde count towards tour progression?

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I like Arcade so much more than traditional. Just make it ranked that way controllers aren't forced to play with mouse and keyboard.

I know. It's not really an issue in the ranked playlists, but in a game mode where after just a couple of kills/assists players can get their hands on precision weapons, the difference between input methods becomes noticeable.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Beat the game last night. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the amount of technical issues are frustrating. Act 3 softlocked on me because I did the main missions out of order. The game somehow also thinks it's possible to have finished Act 3 and 4 while missing some chapters in 1 and 2.

Beautiful game, poorly put together.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Join custom games. It still counts for progress, even if you join even on the 50th wave, so hop in a match that's already got the ball rolling (three or four players, 10-20 waves completed) and don't worry about leavers, since they can join in progress just like you did.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
is there any way to hide the score table between rounds in horde?

I feel like everyone is running around collecting ammo and I'm the only idiot looking at it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
is there any way to hide the score table between rounds in horde?

I feel like everyone is running around collecting ammo and I'm the only idiot looking at it.

Nope. But you can still move, so I tend to set off towards, say, a power tap so that when the board goes, I am there ready to extract. Can even start the process before the board, keep X held down, and it will extract over the interim. Would be nice if the background didn't go dark, so one could almost freely navigate.