• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Speaking Campaign, I fucking hate the balance of explosives on Experienced and above. Everything kills you in one hit and the AI just makes things worse. Like, I'm at the part with the spinning centrifuge, some grenadier throws a grenade. No warning. I jump to avoid to no avail or I crash into a teammate behind cover. I had to turn it off as I almost woke up the neighbors cursing. Seriously, if you are gonna fing swamp us with grenades and the teammates are gonna do jack, at least make them DBNO you.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is this game for someone who just played occasionally the first one back in the days?

Can I jump right in? Looking for a "new" game and heared the graphics are good. Also got the game pass.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Gears ERA do y'all have a group that always plays?!? I'm tired of playing solo!
There's a gearsERA discord server, but I never seen anyone in there and a GearsERA xbox group, but I haven't really been keeping up with that either.

You can try posting an LFG message on them though, and hopefully someone will play with you.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking Campaign, I fucking hate the balance of explosives on Experienced and above. Everything kills you in one hit and the AI just makes things worse. Like, I'm at the part with the spinning centrifuge, some grenadier throws a grenade. No warning. I jump to avoid to no avail or I crash into a teammate behind cover. I had to turn it off as I almost woke up the neighbors cursing. Seriously, if you are gonna fing swamp us with grenades and the teammates are gonna do jack, at least make them DBNO you.

Why I finished on Intermediate. Experienced became too frustrating.

RBX

Oct 28, 2017
Gears players play ranked, casuals play quick play. Most xbox users turn off cross play so PC players are screwed on that one. You can only turn it off for ranked matches though. KotH and TDM are the most popular modes. Execution is where the real men play, and wannabe try hards play Escalation but this time I expect it to be dead because of the changes. I haven't even touched it yet. Arcade is a joke.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sibarraz 4 life, join me for some casual fun, we could even grind our honor

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the open world sections are such a drag, I would be finished with this game waaay before if I wasn't forced to run around 2 barren lands that looked nice for the first 5 mins.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
The one thing about this game I find really not okay is the nerfing of active rounds for Gnasher. Hitting a perfect active only has the reward or completely reloading the Gnasher's already smaller clip. Going for a 1v1, trying to take a hill, and chasing after the leader in Guardian lost an important tactical aspect with no active damage boost.

TC, you made Arcade for people who don't want to shotgun. Core modes need the classic Gnasher and a little nerf to the Lancer and they'll play so much better.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I agree 100%. It actually kind of pisses me off that they made Experienced/Hardcore so much harder than past games. If I knew that, I would have played and had much less frustration on Intermediate. I was shocked by the number of 1-shot deaths and punishing enemies. Combined with my braindead AI companions led to the most frustrating moments of the Gears series.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree 100%. It actually kind of pisses me off that they made Experienced/Hardcore so much harder than past games. If I knew that, I would have played and had much less frustration on Intermediate. I was shocked by the number of 1-shot deaths and punishing enemies. Combined with my braindead AI companions led to the most frustrating moments of the Gears series.
They made insane in Gears 4 harder.

I don't miss no DBNO.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Has anybody experienced an issue where frag grenades occasionally don't beep? I've died so many times because I had no idea one was even thrown. I know that it's usually too late by then anyway, but at least it would make me feel better about being killed by one if I heard it first. I think a grenade indicator would be good in campaign too.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This MP is just so trash.

Cross city designed maps with way too strong rifles. Slows the game down too much.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
This MP is just so trash.

Cross city designed maps with way too strong rifles. Slows the game down too much.
Yup as a Gears "veteran" I'm shocked to see so many poorly made maps for launch, compared to other games in the series. There is literally no map movement or flow anymore, and the power weapon respawns are too long also, which also keeps teams in place just crossing up with the lancer. I'm actually glad BL 3 is there to play while they sort it out, and rotate more maps in ranked.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess it's cool they tried to cater to a hardcore crowd with escalation. But I feel they should've saved that mode for an actual esports event or something. And even then, I can't imagine any serious Gears player picking that over execution.

Should've just put Dodgeball ranked instead of escalation.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I hit a stop in campaign last night. Just got to act 3 chapter 3 and it tells me to go to
cosmonaut training building
but there is no mission marker to follow. I found it any way and it's a place I've been to before. I can go right up to the door and get the press x to open prompt but nothing happens. I just can't progress now.
Anyone else had this issue and find a workaround?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm playing through the campaign at the moment, and the one thing I find really weird is the disparity between the quality of the player animations versus the way the NPC sidekicks behave and move. For the character you're playing, everything from busting a lock to picking up a weapon looks phenomenal. Then your AI squadmates come ice-skating in and really mess with the overall impression.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Without spoiling too much... I am in act 2 and I'm wondering if I'll have enough time to
explore the open world... since the the game seems to be progressing me on the critical path pretty quickly...

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
JD's horde grenade launcher medal seems a bit much. 500 kills with a weapon that will barely get used when ammo is scarce and it stops killing enemies effectively in later waves. None of his skills seem to compliment his launcher either. I'd rater have a skill card for his gl than a boomshot. I think 200-300 kills would be a lot less tiring.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
JD's horde grenade launcher medal seems a bit much. 500 kills with a weapon that will barely get used when ammo is scarce and it stops killing enemies effectively in later waves. None of his skills seem to compliment his launcher either. I'd rater have a skill card for his gl than a boomshot. I think 200-300 kills would be a lot less tiring.

Do regular bullet kills count?

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Without spoiling too much... I am in act 2 and I'm wondering if I'll have enough time to
explore the open world... since the the game seems to be progressing me on the critical path pretty quickly...
Don't worry. The game will clearly tell you when you reach a point of no return. Really glad they did that as I had the same worries.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Gears players play ranked, casuals play quick play. Most xbox users turn off cross play so PC players are screwed on that one. You can only turn it off for ranked matches though. KotH and TDM are the most popular modes. Execution is where the real men play, and wannabe try hards play Escalation but this time I expect it to be dead because of the changes. I haven't even touched it yet. Arcade is a joke.
Pretty much how I feel tbh.
god i don't want to make builds in horde i just want to shoot guys and build stuff
That's harder to monetize, sorry.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
damn I really don't like these maps, and there's only so few of them
haven't played 4 in versus at all, so can't compare with that, but playing Gears 3 was a very different experience in this regard lol
I even had more fun on Judgment maps

m23

Oct 25, 2017

You'll reach a point of no return and it will be obvious. You'll be given a choice to keep exploring or progress the story.

I see some folks saying they don't like the maps all that much, whereas I'm loving them way more than 4. The only one I'm not a massive fan of is Bunker, the rest I'm really enjoying. We could use some new maps in rotation though, hopefully soon.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
It's a fun game, but I was done with the story by the time I finished it. It's so much better to play it co-op than by yourself.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Man I just really hate ranked modes. Just put everyone into a pile and let God sort em out. It's only good for increasing engagement numbers. It means nothing for us. The experience is the exact same. Sometimes I stomp, sometimes they stomp, sometimes we have a good match, same as always. The problem I have is it pulls me in too many different ways. I wanna get medals which makes me play a bunch of different modes but I also wanna rank up which means I can only play one mode but I already have the medal for that mode. I know people like to pretend it's competitive but it's really just a bunch of fake competitive dressing to jack certain kinds of people off. It also makes things more toxic so you get increased engagement from a bunch of spiteful angry nerds but drive away others.