• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I hit a stop in campaign last night. Just got to act 3 chapter 3 and it tells me to go to
cosmonaut training building
but there is no mission marker to follow. I found it any way and it's a place I've been to before. I can go right up to the door and get the press x to open prompt but nothing happens. I just can't progress now.
Anyone else had this issue and find a workaround?
You're an eensy bit screwed. Only workaround I've found is to start a new file at Act 3, Chapter 3. Game seems to remember which components and collectibles you found

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
We have all of October and November to do these medals. No need to grind yet! Just take it slow.

Yeah I'm not interested in all the medal unlocks. There's just a few that I'm really focusing on but I do want to get through the Tour of Duty since there are some unlocks at the end that I want. Did the double star weekend also apply to medals or just daily objectives?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the campaign and...

was surprised at how abruptly it ended. Felt like there wasn't a real culmination - I get that it's the middle entry in a series but it felt pretty incomplete. The monster boss they introduced was pretty lame and uninspired. Wondering how the JD/Del decision will play out in the next game...

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Thank for reply. If it remembers that stuff then it's not so bad.
really surprised how buggy this game is and there doesn't seem to be many patches addressing them

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dont feel motivated to play the campaign since I started on insane, and I have heard so many complaints of the difficulty in this game

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Thank for reply. If it remembers that stuff then it's not so bad.
really surprised how buggy this game is and there doesn't seem to be many patches addressing them
It was extremely buggy. I had to restart checkpoints 4-5 times throughout to get certain things to trigger. Game-breaking stuff like a lift not triggering in Act 3, Baird not giving an upgrade for Jack, Del being stuck in the ground... tons of stuff like that.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I dont feel motivated to play the campaign since I started on insane, and I have heard so many complaints of the difficulty in this game
FWIW you can decrease difficulty whenever you want. Or increase. I'm sticking mostly to experienced but switched to Intermediate for one fight due to the One Kill B.S.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd bump that down to Experienced. Experienced gave me enough challenge running solo, mostly because of the number of random grenade/dropshot spam that becomes abundant later in the campaign. Also the AI is useless in picking you up when you're downed in many circumstances -- the game is really just not made to be played on Insane solo. Or if it is, I would expect it to be a really frustrating experience.

RBX

Oct 28, 2017
The amount of bugs and glitches have me shocked that they STILL haven't patched much of anything in 3 damn weeks. If this was any other series it would be raked over the coals for how bad the launch was but its Gears so who cares right? "It looks pretty!"

Man I just really hate ranked modes. Just put everyone into a pile and let God sort em out. It's only good for increasing engagement numbers. It means nothing for us. The experience is the exact same. Sometimes I stomp, sometimes they stomp, sometimes we have a good match, same as always. The problem I have is it pulls me in too many different ways. I wanna get medals which makes me play a bunch of different modes but I also wanna rank up which means I can only play one mode but I already have the medal for that mode. I know people like to pretend it's competitive but it's really just a bunch of fake competitive dressing to jack certain kinds of people off. It also makes things more toxic so you get increased engagement from a bunch of spiteful angry nerds but drive away others.

I can understand the feeling. I love ranked but i'm a hyper competitive dude and Gears fulfills that in a way very few games have but this game left me really wanting and just bored.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
I have win two maps as daily objectives, I've been playing for an hour and a half and haven't seen either of them.

Any other day I would have played then 5 times each by now

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
My Gears 5 Campaign Co-op Bug Experience:
  • Got stuck in Jack upgrade menu, could not exit until co-op partner reloaded checkpoint
  • My game paused because host went into menu, did not unpause for me when host unpaused
  • Fell through geometry several times
  • Audio didn't play in Act 2, was fixed with restart
  • Audio didn't play in act 4 (except UI noises), could not fix by restarting, so I played Act 4 Chapter 1 without audio before it fixed itself for Chapter 2.
  • Didn't unlock 3 achievements that my co-op partner received including the one for beating the final chapter
  • Mission in Act 3 (maybe 2) would not complete and the marker stayed on screen and in my objective list until beating the act
Problems that weren't bugs:
  • Only the player playing as Kait sees her flashes, good thing I was speaking with my co-op partner so we could share what was happening.
  • I played as Jack for the final act (for the achievement for beating an act as them...which didn't unlock), spent a lot of time not being able to do anything because I was tethered too far from enemies or on the truck.
There were probably more I forgot about, I did generally enjoy my time with the game but it was kinda a mess at times.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
JD's horde grenade launcher medal seems a bit much. 500 kills with a weapon that will barely get used when ammo is scarce and it stops killing enemies effectively in later waves. None of his skills seem to compliment his launcher either. I'd rater have a skill card for his gl than a boomshot. I think 200-300 kills would be a lot less tiring.

I agree. I'm not even going to bother trying for that one.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised it was so buggy but I'm more surprised how slowly they seem to be addressing things
It was extremely buggy. I had to restart checkpoints 4-5 times throughout to get certain things to trigger. Game-breaking stuff like a lift not triggering in Act 3, Baird not giving an upgrade for Jack, Del being stuck in the ground... tons of stuff like that.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
damn I really don't like these maps, and there's only so few of them
haven't played 4 in versus at all, so can't compare with that, but playing Gears 3 was a very different experience in this regard lol
I even had more fun on Judgment maps

I had issues with the Coalition made maps in 4. They were all very bland and e-sport focused, no iconic design like Mansion, Jacinto, Canals or Fuel Depot.

It was very apparent that the Epic map designers were gone

The amount of bugs and glitches have me shocked that they STILL haven't patched much of anything in 3 damn weeks. If this was any other series it would be raked over the coals for how bad the launch was but its Gears so who cares right? "It looks pretty!"

mentioned on the dev stream that they are rolling a bunch of fixes into a bigger patch set for early October.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 was so good that it has me looking up montages that I loved when I was a teen.

These were so badass back then.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So uh, I bought a Chips Ahoy package to get the DLC codes... I ate 10 cookies and it's like crack. I'm seeing double.
I'm going to throw the rest away.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Can Jack only buy weapons lockers in Horde? If I try to buy a barrier it gives me a weapon locker. Its driving me crazy!

I believe it's just weapon lockers and forges. It showing barrier is a display bug. Also happens to other characters too.

Edit: Here's a cheat sheet showing who can buy what.

9msnp7wyszk31.jpg

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
So I always heard Horde was awesome but oh wow it starts off so slow that I wasn't really digging it, it reminded me of COD zombies, great fun when it's all happening but the build up is SOOOOO long.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Must be bugged cause I can't purchase a forge right now.
I remember not being able to buy a forge at first with Jack too. I thought it might be something where you had to like "upgrade" the fabricator by buying a weapons locker first or something, but when I played solo earlier today I saw a weapons locker and forge in wave 1 before I bought anything. It's... weird.

I believe it's just weapon lockers and forges. It showing barrier is a display bug. Also happens to other characters too.

Edit: Here's a cheat sheet showing who can buy what.

9msnp7wyszk31.jpg
also.
I fucking hate this.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what Rod thinks of everybody that is critical of them.

How dare we not blindly love and follow everything they do.

Also this is a big deal

Bullets literally auto aim to you at a certain distance in every mode but escalation or execution.
Yeah it's pretty bad.

Really noticeable on kill cam snipers that are no where near the head.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Booted the game up last night and now I'm just
This is what Rod thinks of everybody that is critical of them.

How dare we not blindly love and follow everything they do.

Also this is a big deal

Bullets literally auto aim to you at a certain distance in every mode but escalation or execution.

Sounds like the reaction of people here when you criticise their favourite game.

Just tried to boot up the game last night and am now getting the 502 error again.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
TC did an amazing job with this game. Taking my sweet time playing through the campaign and I'm amazed... It's probably my best Gears campaign so far. Good job.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take it there is no way to skip the intro movie on the UWP version is there? Bit annoying when you just wanna fire the game up for a quick arcade match.

Games really should make it as quick as possible to boot up to get into MP, remember when CoD on consoles let you select what mode to boot up into? Pretty sure it skipped videos when you selected MP (or at least, you could skip them yourself).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Take it there is no way to skip the intro movie on the UWP version is there? Bit annoying when you just wanna fire the game up for a quick arcade match.

Games really should make it as quick as possible to boot up to get into MP, remember when CoD on consoles let you select what mode to boot up into? Pretty sure it skipped videos when you selected MP (or at least, you could skip them yourself).
There might be a way figured out sooner or later. I think it's Win32 and not a UWP app.

I'd check here periodically to see if anyone found a way. This kind of thing seems to get listed as a "fix" pretty commonly on pcgamingwiki pages.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So I always heard Horde was awesome but oh wow it starts off so slow that I wasn't really digging it, it reminded me of COD zombies, great fun when it's all happening but the build up is SOOOOO long.

For this very reason, I just jump into or create matches a round 20 or so

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just completed Gears 3 (best in the series for me) in preparation for Gears 5. Already on the first part of Gears 5 campaign and im amazed at how big the jump is (expected). But whats taken me by surprise though is scale of the story and the quality of these levels. The world is full of detail and activity, paths dont look like obvious corridors, again im not criticising Gears 3, its almost a 10yr old game but Coalition have really progressed the franchise, game exudes quality through and through, cant wait to move forward.

Oct 30, 2017
I truly, truly, truly hate sires with a passion. Especially in Escape when you have a team that wants to bullrush to the safehouse and disregard the one guy (me) who gets nabbed by a sire jumping from around a corner.

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't like how durable they are. I think they are pretty easy to dodge, they just take way too much to kill.
I feel like if you can pull out a Matriarch barb you should be able to QTE out of the sire's grasp as well. And you're right that dodging them is pretty easy once you learn their lunge limit, but they can be difficult to spot in more intense situations.

tolman

Oct 29, 2017
You can but it can be hard with no upgrades/fortifications. On beginner it should be possible, especially with Jack.
Apart from 2 medals in current Tour of Duty it doesn't give any rewards I think.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Finally had a chance to sit down and finish the game last night. I absolutely loved it - a good, compelling story and some nice bits of fan service. I am a HUGE fan of this series, mostly because I've been dialed into all the books and comics. While the comics aren't necessary, the books are divine. Karen Traviss (who ended up writing the story for Gears 3) really wove an incredible story throughout her books. The new book, Ascendance, was also very good.

But being a huge fan of Gears and the lore, I was shocked at
the choice to save JD or Del. This has a huge impact on the future storylines of Gears, and I really didn't like that they left this as an audience choice. Is there a canon ending? I saved JD - I thought it made the most sense for future storytelling, but I'd hate to find out that I made the "wrong" choice. If they decide not to address who survives until Gears 6 spins up, that also means that there won't be additional books to add into the storyline and bridge the games.

I will say, though, the end of Act 1 when
the Hammer of Dawn goes haywire was QUINTESSENTIAL Gears. I should have expected it, and I didn't, and it was incredible. I love how this series gives its characters wins, and then immediately spoils their victory.